Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Imperium by Robert Harris

after reading Pompeii by him, I picked up another one, this one is based in Rome and the life of Cicero, it's pretty good, I like his style of writing fictional Rome stories loosly based on people from that era
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I am reading Rick Mercer's book which is an enjoyable but easy read.. after that on to the new Kathy Reichs book.
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Double Cross by James Patterson
  • Options
    daystar143 wrote:
    I enjoyed that one. Of course, I am a sucker for the Templars. "The Religion" is good, too.

I'm finishing "The Climb" right now and trying to decide what's next. Prolly Ken Burns' "The War".
    how did ya find the climb?

barry... I got the slash autobiography as part of my sisters pressie... she loves him :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Cross Country by Robert Sullivan
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Hartydog wrote:
    The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

is that the same guy who wrote Moneyball, and it is about some football player by chance ?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Just started Chuck Palahniuk's "Diary". Good read so far.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Just finished "Born Standing Up", Steve Martin's autobiography. Really good.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I was reading The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai, and I just couldn't handle it. I can tell the author loves words, and she pays attention to detail, but it doesn't look like she likes her characters. I read an earlier book of hers which was funny, and enjoyable. This was becoming a chore to read. . .

So, I rescued my mind and time with The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich. Ohmygawd! Rescue doesn't seem to do the act justice. I'm inspired! My brain is working! I love honest to goodness gorgeous storytelling. Now, Louise, she loves her characters. She has fun writing her books. It's so obvious.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Honeymoon by James Patterson
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    Our Lady of the Forest, by David Gutterson (author of Snow Falling on Cedars, another great book)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    rrivers wrote:
    9. Blaze by Stephen King - an author who rarely disappoints. He doesn't here.

then don't read "Lisey's Story". what a waste of time that one was! godawful. the internal dialogue and silly language made me wanna shoot him, then myself.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    Use of weapons by Iain M. Banks.
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    The God Delusion.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The Dharma Bums
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    im still slowly reading the stand, its taking a month.... but i can say this book started out great. but with all the hype ive heard about it being his best book has really been a let down. its a good book, no question, but the few other books ive read by king ive thought have all been miles above this one. its not his writing in this i dont think, the story has just got weak.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    2 of me, Andrew johns autobiography
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    then don't read "Lisey's Story". what a waste of time that one was! godawful. the internal dialogue and silly language made me wanna shoot him, then myself.

I enjoyed "Lisey's Story". As with a lot of his books, 200 pages could have been cut. I know what you mean about the silly language, but I enjoyed the internal dialogue.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I just finished reading "Flow my tears, the policeman said" by Philip K. Dick. That man was crazy as hell. Love his work though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    Just finish Into Thin Air, and I justed started Life of Pi ......I have had the book for ages but for whatever reason never stated reading it.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Our Lady of the Forest, by David Gutterson (author of Snow Falling on Cedars, another great book)

I read that book a couple of years ago...it was OK...lots of grunge...

The Life of Pi - everyone raves about this book, but I missed the message. And the story doesn't get interesting until about 45 pages in (in my opinion). I just can't figure out what all the fuss was about..

Just finished the Clapton Autobiography (after reading the Pattie Boyd book) and now I'm reading No Country for Old Men, which certainly grabs your attention...might finish it tonight. It's very good...next up is Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut...

Has anyone read the book about the sheep detectives - a herd of sheep try to solve the murder of their shepherd? I've got it sitting at home, and wonder if I should read that next instead of KV...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    I read that book a couple of years ago...it was OK...lots of grunge...

The Life of Pi - everyone raves about this book, but I missed the message. And the story doesn't get interesting until about 45 pages in (in my opinion). I just can't figure out what all the fuss was about..

Just finished the Clapton Autobiography (after reading the Pattie Boyd book) and now I'm reading No Country for Old Men, which certainly grabs your attention...might finish it tonight. It's very good...next up is Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut...

Has anyone read the book about the sheep detectives - a herd of sheep try to solve the murder of their shepherd? I've got it sitting at home, and wonder if I should read that next instead of KV...

I liked Life of Pi, not the greatest book I ever read but a good read.

I really enjoyed the movie No Country for Old Men. I have been meaning to read the book for years but still haven't gotten around to it.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Eat Pray Love....total chick book.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    It was posted a long time back- but I just finished the first book in Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodking- amazing read. First fantasy book i ever read and i loved it. cant wait to continue the series- highly recommend to the world.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    It was posted a long time back- but I just finished the first book in Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodking- amazing read. First fantasy book i ever read and i loved it. cant wait to continue the series- highly recommend to the world.
    An ace series of books :)
    They get better...
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I'm reading 'The call of cthulu and other weird stories' by HP Lovecraft.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Eat Pray Love....total chick book.
    me too! imagine that!
    total chick book indeed and i am loving it so far!