my life as a fake - peter carey.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I just finished "The World Without Us" by Allan Wiseman. It is a about what would happen to planet earth if all humans suddenly vanished. It is fascinating thought experiment that has kept me day dreaming ever since I finished it. I now look at the world in a completly different way. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

I have now just started "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. His last book, "The Botany of Desire", was excellent and so far this new one has been just as good.

Other books that I have recently read and would recommend:

"The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chabon
    "The Looming Tower-Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright
    "Consider the Lobster" by David Foster Wallace
    "A Death in Belmont" by Sebastan Junger
    "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy
    "The Assault on Reason" by Al Gore
    "The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics" by C.S. Lewis
    "Fiasco-The American Military Adventure in Iraq" by Tomas Ricks
    "My Lead Dog Was a Lesbian" by Brian Patrick O'Donoghue
    "The Year 1000-What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millenium" By Robert Lacey & Danny Danziger
    "1491-New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus"-By Charles Mann
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I'm just re-reading World War Z by Max Brooks.
    It's a collection of first hand accounts, memories and narratives of the Zombie Apocalypse. It tells the story of how the deadly Z virus rampaged across the globe and reduced humanity to a mere shell of its former exsistence.
    To be read in conjunction with A Zombie Survival Guide by the same author.
    A manual of how to survive the Zombie War should it come to your neck of the woods. Complete with tips on the best places to hide and a comprehensive list of the most effective weapons to use against the hordes its an essential purchase for any family.

Fans of 28 days/weeks later will love it! :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I'm reading 5 against 1 by Kim Neely... good read (not as good as 'None Too Fragile' IMO - read that about 7 times now :D) however, it could be better, a little biased IMO but i'll reach my own final conclusions when i've finished it in the next few days :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I'm reading 5 against 1 by Kim Neely... good read (not as good as 'None Too Fragile' IMO - read that about 7 times now :D) however, it could be better, a little biased IMO but i'll reach my own final conclusions when i've finished it in the next few days :)

i feel the need to disagree with you on this. ive read both books and i found none too fragile to be shithouse in the first degree.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    i have finally gotten around to Special Topics In Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessi. (Meredith if you tell me you are reading this I will die. )
    I was snagged by it when I read that the main character is a cross between Holden Caulfield :) and Huck Finn. 2 of my faves, though alot of you knew the first one.
    And then they went on to talk about how it was reminiscent of Nabakov's Lolita...another fave.
    So far-amazing
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I finished 'Papillion' and am now reading 'Into the wild'. I'm about half way through it. It's hard to put down.
  • Options
    LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    TrixieCat wrote:
    i have finally gotten around to Special Topics In Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessi. (Meredith if you tell me you are reading this I will die. )
    I was snagged by it when I read that the main character is a cross between Holden Caulfield :) and Huck Finn. 2 of my faves, though alot of you knew the first one.
    And then they went on to talk about how it was reminiscent of Nabakov's Lolita...another fave.
    So far-amazing

Is that Marisha a talent or what? I've finished the book, and must say i loved it......
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    I've almost finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, not a bad book, nowhere as sick or twisted as American Psycho, and my next book that I got today is Into the Wild
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    Terryible wrote:
    I've almost finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, not a bad book, nowhere as sick or twisted as American Psycho, and my next book that I got today is Into the Wild

how are you handling the main character being named bret easton ellis? not to mention the whole stephen king kick it went on. not his usual fare.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Linda wrote:
    Is that Marisha a talent or what? I've finished the book, and must say i loved it......
    Agreed. She is incredible.

Not to mention very beautiful. :o
    What are you reading now? Or am I being lazy..did you say what you are reading now?
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Agreed. She is incredible.

Not to mention very beautiful. :o
    What are you reading now? Or am I being lazy..did you say what you are reading now?

No, you are not lazy, i've finished Marisha's novell. Now i am reading "Tirza" written by Arnon Grunberg, a young dutch writer who live and work in NY (with a elderly women, so ive heard)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnon_Gr%C3%BCnberg
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Linda wrote:

interesting... the reviews i've read seem to say it's a bit self-indulgent.

i'm going to start reading 'fourth bear' by jasper fforde in the evenings. other than that, just legal texts.
  • Options
    interesting... the reviews i've read seem to say it's a bit self-indulgent.

i'm going to start reading 'fourth bear' by jasper fforde in the evenings. other than that, just legal texts.

Yes, the characters in the book are bit self-indulgent...but a fun read, really
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Predators, Prey and other Kinfolk...about a woman growing up in polygamy. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

P.S. I should add that Under the Banner of Heaven (Jon Krakauer) is my favorite book.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    #X.#X. Posts: 142
    Fearless Jones by Walter Mosley. I would recommend anything by W. Mosley #X.
    "The Poet is a madman lost in adventure."
    -Paul Verlaine-

"With me poetry has not been a purpose, but a passion."
    -Edgar Poe-
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    Got a new Hitachi HDTV Camcorder/camera and the intructions are like a book, 157 pages.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Mel1979Mel1979 Posts: 17
    Currently reading The Silence of the Lambs - can't believe I haven't read it before now.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Still reading Iran Awakening by Shirin Ebadi. It's non-fiction, interesting, and not choppy, it has a nice flow. Still the last two books I've read (Unless and Dirt Music) were more engaging.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Mel1979 wrote:
    Currently reading The Silence of the Lambs - can't believe I haven't read it before now.

have you read red dragon by thomas harris? if not i recommend you do so. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    #X. wrote:
    Fearless Jones by Walter Mosley. I would recommend anything by W. Mosley #X.

Did he write Devil in a Blue Dress? I was at Barnes and Noble last night and there was a 3 for 2 mystery table and that was one of the books I was trying to decide on. I settled on "The Big Sleep", "The Maltese Falcon", and another book I can't remember the name of.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Mel1979 wrote:

It's great. I just read Hannibal Rising and it is horrible. He needs to retire the character. Plus his books are not written very well. Red Dragon and Silence are great stories so I overlooked the subpar writing. Not possible in Hannibal Rising.
  • Options
    Falling Leaves.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Falling Leaves.

Sounds depressing this time of year...any good?
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I'm reading The Poe Shadow and it is really good so far
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    yield2me wrote:
    I'm reading The Poe Shadow and it is really good so far

I read The Dante Club, I think that was the name of the book by the same author. Matthew Pearl, I think? It was good, but not as good as I expected.
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    Anybody ever read any Bill Bryson? I read an extract out of The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and it had me in stitches. Whats his writing like?

I can't wait to read that one!

The first Bryson book that I read was "In a Sunburned Country" about his travels in Australia and he had me laughing out loud. And "A Walk in the Woods", chronicling his attempt to walk the whole Appalachian Trail with his buddy was pretty hilarious, too.
    michelle

power to the peaceful
  • Options
    I'm just finishing "The Know-It-All" by A.J. Jacobs. It's about his attempt to read the Encyclopedia Brittanica from A-Z. His sense of humor is reminding me of Bill Bryson.
    michelle

power to the peaceful
  • Options
    the old man and the sea again...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"