Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Started "Love is a Mixtape" by Rob Sheffield, a writer for Rolling Stone. It's really good so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Jeanie wrote:
    I'm toggling again. :rolleyes:

Between Marley & Me and Silencing Dissent. Nice little contrast there! ;):D

How is Marley & Me?? It seems to have gotten alot of hype, but I don't know...seemed kinda "pop culturish" to me?? (Does that make sense??)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    trout fishing in america - richard brautigan
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    How is Marley & Me?? It seems to have gotten alot of hype, but I don't know...seemed kinda "pop culturish" to me?? (Does that make sense??)

Well I'm only reading it because it was this month's book for Mum's Book Club and she finished it. (It does seem to be "the book of the moment") Plus I needed a bit of light relief from Silencing Dissent (which is about Aussie Politics). It's ok. I can't say as I'd rave about it yet. It's a bit of a no brainer so far. And I'm not that absorbed in it that I have to keep reading when it's time to sleep. SO it's serving its purpose I guess. :)
    It's not bad M, but I haven't really gotten into it yet. I may still but......... :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options

I enjoyed it. It's a fast read. If you love dogs you will cry at the end.

What do you mean it is "pop culturish"?
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I enjoyed it. It's a fast read. If you love dogs you will cry at the end.

What do you mean it is "pop culturish"?

I mean it seems like it's trendy. I don't know...could just be me. Is it sad at the end?? Keep in mind I have a yellow labrador.

• Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    aNiMaL wrote:

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

What book are you reading?

Anthony Kiedis has a book?

I'm reading the Bible :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Allie02 wrote:
    Anthony Kiedis has a book?

I'm reading the Bible :)

Yeah, Scar Tissue is actually REAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good!!! Highly recommend it!! :) He's a surprisingly good writer. The Guys (aka PJ) are mentioned a few times during the book.

• Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Yeah, Scar Tissue is actually REAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good!!! Highly recommend it!! :) He's a surprisingly good writer. The Guys (aka PJ) are mentioned a few times during the book.

no kidding?! Wow. Cool. I will have to check that out, thanks for the review.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Mel1979Mel1979 Posts: 17
    Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. I love the way this guy writes!
  • Options
    I mean it seems like it's trendy. I don't know...could just be me. Is it sad at the end?? Keep in mind I have a yellow labrador.

I guess it's trendy, whatever that means. It's a bestseller and has been for awhile. Yes it's sad at the end.
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Mel1979 wrote:
    Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. I love the way this guy writes!

I agree 100%. Choke and Survivor were awesome, have not read Diary yet.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Unfinished Business by Joe Pistone and Charles Brandt... fucking GOOD so far:D:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    PJSerf wrote:
    I agree 100%. Choke and Survivor were awesome, have not read Diary yet.
    Am going to be reading Choke next :)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    HEY YOU PALAHNIUK FANS you all read any tom spanbauer?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Nope, similar style?
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    A Year in the Life of TheManWhoFellAsleep by Greg Stekelman
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Atonement by Ian McEwan. I read it a few years ago, but the language is sinking into me more this time. I'm reading it again because the movie is coming out. I'm becoming a James McAvoy fan, and I would like to see the movie, but I want to refresh my memory with the book. A lot of moments, but somehow there are spaces between the moments. They are not spaces for breathing, and they add an edge. Maybe that's why I didn't get into the writing. More description than dialogue. Excellent description nonetheless.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Atonement by Ian McEwan. I read it a few years ago, but the language is sinking into me more this time. I'm reading it again because the movie is coming out. I'm becoming a James McAvoy fan, and I would like to see the movie, but I want to refresh my memory with the book. A lot of moments, but somehow there are spaces between the moments. They are not spaces for breathing, and they add an edge. Maybe that's why I didn't get into the writing. More description than dialogue. Excellent description nonetheless.

I read "Saturday" and enjoyed it. Not the easiest book to read but enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options
    I am almost finished with Anderson Cooper's Dispatches from the Edge. It is SUCH an eye-opener. I was reading the section about Hurricane Katrina last night (ironically on the 2 year anniversary) and knew things were bad...but had no idea just how tragic they really were. I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys non-fiction.

• Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I read "Saturday" and enjoyed it. Not the easiest book to read but enjoyable nonetheless.
    I tried to get through Saturday. I think Atonement has better writing. Saturday has an easier story to follow as the smallest item isn't described, if I remember correctly. It's like Atonement was made for a screenplay, and to give the screenwriter minimal trouble with translating. All things pointed out, scene given to the smallest detail.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's an AMAZING book! It's about her family's quest to live only on food that was grown within 100 miles of their home (with a handful of exceptions, such as olive oil and coffee and spices). I'm a fan of local eating for many reasons, and I honestly thought I knew a lot about this topic, but I think I'm picking up some new tidbit of information on just about every page!

It might sound like it would be a boring book, but she's such a wonderful writer that it's simply a joy to read.

Granted, not a lot of people will be able to make the sort of committment that she and her family did, but I know that I'll be trying harder than I have been to keep my food purchases as local and organic as possible. Better nutrition, better for the planet, better for family farms, better for local economies ... it's just BETTER. This book will definitely change the way you think about food.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's an AMAZING book! It's about her family's quest to live only on food that was grown within 100 miles of their home (with a handful of exceptions, such as olive oil and coffee and spices). I'm a fan of local eating for many reasons, and I honestly thought I knew a lot about this topic, but I think I'm picking up some new tidbit of information on just about every page!

It might sound like it would be a boring book, but she's such a wonderful writer that it's simply a joy to read.

Granted, not a lot of people will be able to make the sort of committment that she and her family did, but I know that I'll be trying harder than I have been to keep my food purchases as local and organic as possible. Better nutrition, better for the planet, better for family farms, better for local economies ... it's just BETTER. This book will definitely change the way you think about food.
    I've been looking forward to reading that book. I have a big list of books to read so I'll probably get it when it's in paperback.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I've been looking forward to reading that book. I have a big list of books to read so I'll probably get it when it's in paperback.
    You were actually one of the people that occurred to me while I was reading it ... "Ooh, I bet Ms. Haiku would like this!"
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    I am almost finished with Anderson Cooper's Dispatches from the Edge. It is SUCH an eye-opener. I was reading the section about Hurricane Katrina last night (ironically on the 2 year anniversary) and knew things were bad...but had no idea just how tragic they really were. I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys non-fiction.

You should check out "1 Dead in Attic" by Chris Rose. He's a New Orleans newspaper columnist and the book is a collection of his columns after Katrina. I think it was first published just around New Orleans (I grew up there and my parents still live there). I saw it in Barnes and Noble last night and saw that the one out now added about 200 pages to what I read with a lot of columns from last year.

He was an entertainment reporter, mainly just writing fluff pieces. He really found his groove during and after the hurricana. Sad, sad stuff.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I tried to get through Saturday. I think Atonement has better writing. Saturday has an easier story to follow as the smallest item isn't described, if I remember correctly. It's like Atonement was made for a screenplay, and to give the screenwriter minimal trouble with translating. All things pointed out, scene given to the smallest detail.

Yeah there were parts of Saturday where I was like come on! Move the story along!
  • Options
    I haven't read that yet, waiting for the softcover.

I just bought The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast by Douglas Brinkley, I'll probably start that soon. Anyone else read it?
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    'STAR' by Pam Anderson....
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    'The Shotgun Rule' by Charlie Huston, woo hoo, it kicks ass.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all