Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Binaural wrote:
    Anybody ever read any Bill Bryson? I read an extract out of The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and it had me in stitches. Whats his writing like?
    Yes, I've read all of his except "A Little bit of ..... whatever". That's upstairs and waiting. I think Bryson is excellent, witty, observant and a tongue sharp enough to cut your fingers. "Notes from a Big Country is my favourite".
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i just started to read Into the Wild... So far, not so bad... i did not realize it was a true story... they guy basically gave up everything in life to live free... then died....guess that is a bit insane and ironic but honorable.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    nuffingman wrote:
    Yes, I've read all of his except "A Little bit of ..... whatever". That's upstairs and waiting. I think Bryson is excellent, witty, observant and a tongue sharp enough to cut your fingers. "Notes from a Big Country is my favourite".

I read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and really enjoyed it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NYbenben wrote:
    i just started to read Into the Wild... So far, not so bad... i did not realize it was a true story... they guy basically gave up everything in life to live free... then died....guess that is a bit insane and ironic but honorable.
    I started reading Into Thin Air (can't get into the wild here yet) yesterday and it's brilliant. I'll probably finish it today... I didn't want to get off the bus this morning :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I started reading Into Thin Air (can't get into the wild here yet) yesterday and it's brilliant. I'll probably finish it today... I didn't want to get off the bus this morning :D

"Into the Wild" is fantastic.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    "Into the Wild" is fantastic.
    I can't wait to read that one... I ordered it from one of the book shops (it's not in ANY of them... but one place said that's cos there's a new edition coming out TODAY) but I haven't got it yet.

Just gonna have to make do with into thin air for now... then I have the climb to read after that. Then hopefully that will last me til Monday :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I can't wait to read that one... I ordered it from one of the book shops (it's not in ANY of them... but one place said that's cos there's a new edition coming out TODAY) but I haven't got it yet.

Just gonna have to make do with into thin air for now... then I have the climb to read after that. Then hopefully that will last me til Monday :o

Yeah I saw the new edition out here last week. It must be the movie tie in edition.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    There is nothing like a good book to distract me from a funk. I was walking around aimless during lunch. I sat down and continued to read "Dirt Music" by Tim Winton.

Man, I definitely know why I was born - to read books like this.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Currently reading "Candy" by Luke Davies
  • Options
    I finished Dirt Music by Tim Winton. I strongly recommend it. If you like Louise Erdrich books or Into the Fall by Jeffrey Lent, you would like this book.

Onward to Unless by Carol Shields.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
    You came to mind when I wrote about Dirt Music. If you like exceptional fiction, hippiemom, you would like this.
  • Options
    Just finished Hannibal Rising (horrible!). Am now reading "A Confederacy of Dunces".
  • Options
    Reading Unless by Carol Shields still. I borrowed it from the library, but I plan on buying it. Very interesting, probably another one with many layers that I can't grasp at the first reading.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    my own.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Yeoshua - A Woman in Jerusalem

I don't get all the prize winning. I didn't like it at all.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Predators, Prey and other Kinfolk by Dorothy Allred Solomon

A woman's memoirs about growing up in a polygamous family.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    just finished 'please dont come back from the moon' by deab bakopoulos. melancholy and heart warming in equal measure, give it a go
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    George Pelecanos, The Sweet Forever............finito, took only a couple days, pretty funny in parts, been a while since I caned just a standard gritty 'street' crime novel............the structure was very formulaic,this is how thses guys just pump out sooo many, like Dean Koontz is still goingwith his new novels and I recall him having quite a cannon 15year ago
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    George Pelecanos, The Sweet Forever............finito, took only a couple days, pretty funny in parts, been a while since I caned just a standard gritty 'street' crime novel............the structure was very formulaic,this is how thses guys just pump out sooo many, like Dean Koontz is still goingwith his new novels and I recall him having quite a cannon 15year ago

I think that Pelecanos guy created the show "The Wire" on HBO. I haven't seen it but it has gotten good reviews. I have been meaning to check out his books because I heard good things about them.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I've been making some poor reading choices lately. Well-written books, but depressing or even downright apocalyptic. I need to find things that are a little more uplifting ... that's why I was reading Huck Finn, but I need more. It's hard to keep these positive vibes going when you're reading about the end of the world.

Ms. Haiku, thanks ... I'll check out the book you recommended.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    rrivers wrote:
    I think that Pelecanos guy created the show "The Wire" on HBO. I haven't seen it but it has gotten good reviews. I have been meaning to check out his books because I heard good things about them.
    I was recommended "The Sweet Forever" as one of his finest, many of the characters and (fictional?)locations are carried over into other stories. Not sure if I like the sound of that without a denser plot but suppose it indicates Pelecanos as someone suited to writing a tv show. as it is, the dialogue was sharp&funny, no doubt I could of just read the book in one sitting.
  • Options
    Clive Barker - Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War.

I love Clive Barker.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    hippiemom wrote:
    I've been making some poor reading choices lately. Well-written books, but depressing or even downright apocalyptic. I need to find things that are a little more uplifting ... that's why I was reading Huck Finn, but I need more. It's hard to keep these positive vibes going when you're reading about the end of the world.

Try reading "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I finally finished Unless by Carol Shields. I STRONGLY recommend it. It rocked! Especially at the end. It was at the end that I realized how she was able to develop the characters, develop the story, and add sharp tidbits of laugh out loud humor within a story of serious subject. The tenderness is amazing, and it's all good. I think it's best to read as much at a time as possible. The words felt a little choppy, but towards the end I realized it was one of the best crafted books I've ever read. If you like Louise Erdrich books you'll like this.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

how about some marion keyes? I didn't think the whole chick lit thing would be my kinda thing... but she's absolutely hilarious and really heartwarming stuff.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I finally finished Unless by Carol Shields. I STRONGLY recommend it. It rocked! Especially at the end. It was at the end that I realized how she was able to develop the characters, develop the story, and add sharp tidbits of laugh out loud humor within a story of serious subject. The tenderness is amazing, and it's all good. I think it's best to read as much at a time as possible. The words felt a little choppy, but towards the end I realized it was one of the best crafted books I've ever read. If you like Louise Erdrich books you'll like this.
    I think I've had that one lying in my room for a couple of years now... never read it. Must check it out. Need to wait til I get over my obsession with everest/all things cold first though :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Try reading "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns.

I had to read that book in high school and really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i just picked up a copy of the Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue... i havent started it just yet.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    Just finished a diary of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-one of America's greatest men and a Civil War general

Now reading The Devil in Massachusetts, a historical account of the Salem Witch Trials
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me