2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite
  • Options
    "White Man's Burden" by William Easterly.
    I'm really into political and cultural books. My all time favorite, The Stranger by Camus.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • Options
    Mel1979Mel1979 Posts: 17
    Yeah I've read Red Dragon and Hannibal before but somehow skipped over Silence of the Lambs. Pity about Hannibal Rising, it's in my bookshelf waiting to be read, too.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PearlsGirl wrote:
    "White Man's Burden" by William Easterly.
    I'm really into political and cultural books. My all time favorite, The Stranger by Camus.

the stranger is close to the top of my list too. meursault is someone i can relate to.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Moby Dick
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Check out "In the Time of the Butterflies" it's a fantastic book. Based on a true story, very moving.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    I See You : Gregg Hurwitz

I bought in the supermarket as I had finnished my last book and am lost without anything to read. Never read anything by him before but it seems ok so far.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,949
    Last week I finished a book called "Perfect from Now On". How Indie Rock Saved My Life by John Sellers. Right now reading "Silent Bob Speaks" The Collected Writings of Kevin Smith.
  • Options
    "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by K. Hosseini. So far, so good.

After that, I have about ten books in my "to read" stack.
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    i'm currently reading The Honey Thief, and really enjoying it. it's a bit heavier than i thought it would be, but very good.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by K. Hosseini. So far, so good.

After that, I have about ten books in my "to read" stack.

oh, i want to read that one also. did you read The Kite Runner?

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    i just bought Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. it's next up.

then will be Haven Kimmel's new novel, The Used World. I loooooooove everything she writes, she's brilliant and very, very funny. check out A Girl Named Zippy if you haven't read it. laughed my ASS off. :D

~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    oh, i want to read that one also. did you read The Kite Runner?

I loved "The Kite Runner". I think it was the *only* book that moved me to tears.
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    For an introduction to Iran-USA relations I would recommend "Iran Awakening." The author, Shirin Ebadi won the Nobel Peace Prize. Also, she brought a case in front of the US courts so that her book could be published (If I understand it correctly, it was part of a case many publishers were pursuing). Basically, an Iranian woman's decision to defend the publication of her book in the US helped to decrease censorship in the US.

It's not poetry, but I marked passages that seemed interesting to me, and after rereading them, I realized how much information I gathered from the book. It was presented like a teacher to a class. If you liked "Reading Lolita in Tehran" you would like this basically because of the subject matter. The same scene where there was an failed assasination attempt on literary types is included in both books. That was interesting to read of that story again.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    For an introduction to Iran-USA relations I would recommend "Iran Awakening." The author, Shirin Ebadi won the Nobel Peace Prize. Also, she brought a case in front of the US courts so that her book could be published (If I understand it correctly, it was part of a case many publishers were pursuing). Basically, an Iranian woman's decision to defend the publication of her book in the US helped to decrease censorship in the US.

It's not poetry, but I marked passages that seemed interesting to me, and after rereading them, I realized how much information I gathered from the book. It was presented like a teacher to a class. If you liked "Reading Lolita in Tehran" you would like this basically because of the subject matter. The same scene where there was an failed assasination attempt on literary types is included in both books. That was interesting to read of that story again.

oh i did like reading lolita in tehran. access to books is something i take for granted, i know it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    oh i did like reading lolita in tehran. access to books is something i take for granted, i know it.
    If you want a review of Iran Awakening I posted mine on my blog http://nextstopgraduateschool.blogspot.com.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I just started Prep by Curtis Sittenfield

Anyone read it?

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780812972351
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    started Dracula the other night, had it on the shelf for years, been one of those Ive always been meaning to read and now wonder why I waited so long.
  • Options
    Mel1979Mel1979 Posts: 17
    elmer wrote:
    started Dracula the other night, had it on the shelf for years, been one of those Ive always been meaning to read and now wonder why I waited so long.
    I love that book.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I just started Prep by Curtis Sittenfield

Anyone read it?

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780812972351

I read it last year. I enjoyed it. It was more serious than I thought it would be. Let me know what you think of it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    The Salmon of Doubt - Douglas Adams
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • Options
    i just finished the time traveller's wife. it made me cry which means it was a good book by my measure. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    jocelynjocelyn Posts: 67
    i just finished the time traveller's wife. it made me cry which means it was a good book by my measure. :)

Very cool...one of my favorite books.

I've just started World War Z.
    "I can only be as good as you'll let me."
  • Options
    PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Big Shots.

The inside story of Carl Williams and the gangland murders.
  • Options
    lisamlisam Posts: 75
    Just finished Jim Morrison's bio and now onto Iggy Pop's bio
    Shot me with your funk gun
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    jocelyn wrote:
    Very cool...one of my favorite books.

I've just started World War Z.
    Oh I loved that book...
    Re-reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman before I go see the movie...
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,630
    Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

picked it up again the other day, started it a while ago and never finished it.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I'm re-reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    I was rereading Snow by Orhan Pamuk, and I couldn't get through it in time for the book club at my local library. I remember that it was work to get through it the first time.

Now, I'm reading Under a Flaming Sky:The Great Hinckley Firestorm of 1894 by Daniel James Brown. So far so good.