LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    just started harry potter
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I finished Kafka and switched to:

"Trapped! The story of Floyd Collins"

So far it's a real page turner and a great non-fiction book.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    tish wrote:
    The time-traveler's wife.
    i loved that one, too. very different kind of book.
    i just finished 'into the wild' and as i said in the thread about that book, i didn't love it. felt like it jumped around too much and was low on content.... plus i didn't find chris likeable.

i'm moving onto harry potter next, i think. i still need to read 6.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    "The book of the dead"
    It's a piece of fiction I picked up at the drugstore last week. Its ok thus far.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    harry potter (of course!)
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Lizard wrote:
    just started harry potter

im borrowing a copy and will be starting that this weekend.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    im borrowing a copy and will be starting that this weekend.

I, too, will be starting as soon as my wife is finished. I think she is on page 544 right now.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    I read a couple pages of "Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home" every night.

It's a good thing.
  • Options
    seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    tish wrote:
    The time-traveler's wife.

I read that too - it was kinda cool. Just finished "Into the Wild" - I read it in one day.....I thought it was very tragic. Don't want to say too much more & spoil it for the rest.....can't wait to see the film now.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    One of the 8 million plus copies sold of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    tybird wrote:
    One of the 8 million plus copies sold of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

I include myself in that select group as well ;)

In fact, I'm leaving work early today (extremely early) just to finish it :)
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    "How to become a rat"
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    I just finished "Look at Me" by Anita Brookner. Book review available at http://nextstopgraduateschool.blogspot.com

I'm starting to read, "A Power governments cannot suppress" by Howard Zinn. I have to read this in bits because I get so angry. It's not bad to get angry, but if I'm angry at people I know because I read this book, and they think differently than me, then I lost sight of the fact that they probably read their own books, and we just have different paths. I remember listening to the Vietnam War part of Howard Zinn's US History book, and I totally broke down sobbing. I really have to take his books in bits. I hope I finish this one.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the new richard bachman
  • Options
    westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    "Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Tralala....

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Started the new Harry Potter Saturday. Am up to page 160. Good so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Just finished Howard Zinn's A Power governments cannot suppress. The review will be posted on http://nextstopgraduateschool.blogspot.com. For a book club I'm starting Sala's Gift: My Mothers' Holocaust Story by Ann Kirschner.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Instead of starting Sala's Gift I read a fun fanciful, but well written book, Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai. She wrote Inheritance of Loss. It would be a great plane book, and it would be just a good book with a cup of tea or coffee or even lemonade. I read it in a day because the action flows well, and it's a short book. I'd recommend it. I wrote a review on http://nextstopgraduateschool.blogspot.com.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens." Loving it so far.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens." Loving it so far.

I love that book! And neil gaiman too. Can't wait to see stardust when it comes out here in October I think.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,136
    Cofessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins

Today, we spend the hour with a man who claims to have worked deep inside the forces driving corporate globalization. In his first book, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, John Perkins told the story of his work as a highly paid consultant hired to strong-arm leaders into creating policy favorable to the US government and corporations, what he calls the “corporatocracy.” John Perkins says he helped the US cheat poor countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars by lending them more money than they could possibly repay and then taking over their economies. John Perkins has just come out with his second book on this issue. It’s called The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals and the Truth about Global Corruption. John Perkins joins us now in the firehouse studio. Welcome to Democracy Now!

5120f8w5wdlbo2204203200iw3.jpg.......51bqsk0ihhlaa24060496alv8.jpg

This was absolutely one the best DN program to date. Amy Goodman spoke to John Perkins who was an highly paid "Economic Hitman" for the US government and it's major corporations. Other than running many of these third world countries into debt, these econ hitmen would bribe political leaders from these countries. Many of these countries had "SOMETHING" this country wanted. Such as OIL, Bauxite (used to make aluminum) or Cobalt (used in every cellphone and computer.)

I know this is true because this same thing was done to Jamaica my birthplace. They corrupted the leaders in order to get at our bauxite mines and now the US corporations owns most of Jamaica's export. If these leaders refused to be corrupted these private industries would send in these "Jackels" to assassinate or overthrow these leaders.

This is fascinating to listen or to read @ The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and the Truth about Global Corruption" and get a better understanding on how NSA super-cedes the CIA. Then who really runs this country, not the President (it matters not if it's Democratic or Republican) but major Corporations/Private Industries.

".......Give The Corporations Some Complications......"

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    "Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Tralala....

...pie

nice. love me some H when i'm feeling particlarly nihilistic. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    'My Life Among The Serial Killers' - Dr Helen Morrison .... I get some strange looks when people see what i'm reading, but i find it all so fascinating!
  • Options
    "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut

Pretty good so far, but I don't think it can match Slaughterhouse Five
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just been on holiday so read a few in a short space of time.

Harry Potter - Deathly hallows
    Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer
    Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer
    A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
    Notes from a Small Country - Bill Bryson
    Winter in Madrid - C.J. Sansom
  • Options
    Just finished Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. Great book to escape as he is a funny writer. I always use his books to escape tedium.