Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    edited May 2015
    Enkidu said:

I just finished this - it's really great. But really really hard to read. I just did a blog post about it too if you'd like more detail. Not a book to read before you go to sleep at night.

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/04/difficult-books.html

photo e036ea24-82e0-495d-bbb1-c5c23d5e478f_zpsotf8ytpg.jpg

I dont think I can read that....I have no problem reading periods of history that are truly brutal and have read many books dealing with tough subjects but for whatever reason I dodge the modern ones. Maybe they seem to real to me -- but I can appreciate what you shared.

I finished with 'Time & Again' which was purchased at your suggestion here and I agree with what you had to ask -- how did I not know of this book? What a cool book, I loved it. Recommend.

Now I am reading 'As You Wish' after finally getting my 10 year old nephew to watch the movie versions of one of my favorite books (and certainly on my top 5 of movie adaptations of books I liked), The Princess Bride. Enjoying it. Not as much as the book, the screenplay, or the movie....but how could I possibly? :)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Just finished Band of Brothers. No idea what to start next
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

Just finished Band of Brothers. No idea what to start next

Keep the WWII alive...Unbroken
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    A book about the making of Princess Bride? I want it.

I'm reading the book about the Wright brothers by David McCullough. It's great so far.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,772
    The Colorado kid by Stephen King
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    One More Thing by BJ Novak, so entertaining
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Anybody read Narcisa by Jonathan Shaw?

Looks interesting....
    http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062354990/narcisa
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,665
    RKCNDY said:

I suppose I should start my book since I joined a book club...I have to finish it by next Saturday, and this weekend is jam packed.

Fuck...it's like 400 pages. Mr. RK never shuts up when I'm trying to do something that takes concentration...cross stitch, crochet, reading...if I'm playing on the internet he doesn't say anything. Grrrrrr.....

ease up on Mr. RK :nuh_uh:

shouldn't he be Mr. RC?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    edited May 2015
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    the house of hades
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    It's been awhile since I've visited, so let's get caught up:

AND NEXT UP:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    dankind said:

It's been awhile since I've visited, so let's get caught up:

AND NEXT UP:

How is the Colum McCann? I loved Let the Great World Spin so much.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Enkidu said:

dankind said:

How is the Colum McCann? I loved Let the Great World Spin so much.
    It was just about as good at LTGWS -- and just as heartbreaking.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, and this one falls in there somewhere, too:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

I suppose I should start my book since I joined a book club...I have to finish it by next Saturday, and this weekend is jam packed.

Fuck...it's like 400 pages. Mr. RK never shuts up when I'm trying to do something that takes concentration...cross stitch, crochet, reading...if I'm playing on the internet he doesn't say anything. Grrrrrr.....

ease up on Mr. RK :nuh_uh:

shouldn't he be Mr. RC?

No, RK.

If he just quietly watched his baseball and let me read, it would be nice. I never got to read my book, missed book club, and into another one...

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
    Big Sur by Jack Kerouac
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
    Big Sur by Jack Kerouac

Loved tEKAT. Have a real-life family connection to that story as well, those suckers were crazy.
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Yea, I really want to get my hands on the movie they made now after finishing it (the actual movie). Can you imagine living that life style for years straight??? Would love to hear about your connection!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    The Parenticide club by Ambrose Bierce
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson, one of my favourite authors but someone known for long, dense books. I've been waiting for this one for months and wanted to make sure I got the print version, not e-book.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Read this on a plane last week...I enjoyed the book but not enough to order the follow ups. Still, a good read.

Started this on the plane ride back -- also on the fence with this one, will have to see how it ends. Like the concept though:

• Options

Read this on a plane last week...I enjoyed the book but not enough to order the follow ups. Still, a good read.

Started this on the plane ride back -- also on the fence with this one, will have to see how it ends. Like the concept though:

I read The Windup Girl and didn't like it enough to continue on with old Paolo.

I just finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson last night. I'm a big Stephenson fan and enjoyed it, but it is a bit tech-dense (as he can be). It's almost two novels shoehorned into one, with a first "half" (more than half) taking place in the present day, and a last "half" taking place 5000 years in the future, following up on where the first half led to. The first half is a great read, while the second half feels disjointed even though it does tie up all the loose ends from the beginning.
  • Options

I just finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson last night. I'm a big Stephenson fan and enjoyed it, but it is a bit tech-dense (as he can be). It's almost two novels shoehorned into one, with a first "half" (more than half) taking place in the present day, and a last "half" taking place 5000 years in the future, following up on where the first half led to. The first half is a great read, while the second half feels disjointed even though it does tie up all the loose ends from the beginning.
    I have a few of his books in my pile. Read one before and he is tough to get through but conceptually very cool.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Assigned readings mean I've had to take a break from my leisure readings...3/5ths through a series. So frustrating. I wish I would've timed it better!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options

I have a few of his books in my pile. Read one before and he is tough to get through but conceptually very cool.
    Yes, he's (almost) always conceptually very cool. Snowcrash is probably the easiest (and funniest, in my opinion) of his books but still some of it is a bit of slog with the neurolinguistic stuff. I personally love the Baroque Cycle, partly because it's an era in history that I really like and partly for the characters. It took me three tries to finish Cryptonomicon but it was worth it. Reamde might be the most straighforward story without a lot of technical diversions.
  • Options
    The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

Please let us know what you thought, I am a big fan of Barker's early stuff. (The Great & Secret Show is a book I re-read every year or two; one of my all time favorites...) I am a bit skeptical of this one but if you have a good report I will snap it up!
  • Options

23scidoo said:

Please let us know what you thought, I am a big fan of Barker's early stuff. (The Great & Secret Show is a book I re-read every year or two; one of my all time favorites...) I am a bit skeptical of this one but if you have a good report I will snap it up!
    The Great and Secret show is a great book, but after all this years, Weaveworld is still my fav..
    The Scarlet Gospels is sequel to Hellraiser..so you know the motif..i have read about 120 pages so far and this is classic Barker for me..hope i help you..
    have you read the Abarat series??
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

The Great and Secret show is a great book, but after all this years, Weaveworld is still my fav..
    The Scarlet Gospels is sequel to Hellraiser..so you know the motif..i have read about 120 pages so far and this is classic Barker for me..hope i help you..
    Loved Weaveworld as well but just the awesome/bizzare scope of TG&SS makes it one of my favorites. Have read it 10x at least and every time I find that I forgot some of the crazy details he imagined.
    Yes, I will add it to my list, thanks!

No, I did not read Abarat, that was young adult and I prefer his "sick & twisted fuck" stories. :lol:
  • Options

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

Loved Weaveworld as well but just the awesome/bizzare scope of TG&SS makes it one of my favorites. Have read it 10x at least and every time I find that I forgot some of the crazy details he imagined.
    Yes, I will add it to my list, thanks!

No, I did not read Abarat, that was young adult and I prefer his "sick & twisted fuck" stories. :lol:
    What you think about his ''sick and twisted fuck'' paintings??..there is a great book called ''Visions of Heaven and Hell''..very sick..haha..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.