Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909

Lone Survivor. Saw the movie, had to read the book.

I am not a reader. I usually read a page, page and a half and my mind wonders and I end up having to go back and re-read. Not this book. This thing has me hooked. Great read in my mind.

Could be the books you're reading. I've found that if a book can't keep my attention for more than a couple pages, it's not worth my time to continue reading. Sounds like you found a good one, though.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Love books? Love art? Have fingers?
    This is pretty cool. Figured this was a good place to share :D
    Send a list of your favorite books, and a fingerprint, and she'll turn it into custom art.
    etsy.com/listing/160253675/new-size-custom-portrait-for-the-book?ref=shop_home_active_6
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    ^^ That is pretty cool. I would like to do w/music also...which she indicates she will do. Top 100 PJ songs! ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Currently focusing on some classic reading/writers that I've missed. Just about finished with Steinbeck's To a God Unknown. Really love his take on the relationship between man and the land.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    River of Doubt by Candace Millard
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    The Double
    George Pelecanos

Another awesome read from the great G.P.
    Also known for writing some episodes of The Wire and Treme.
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    edited January 2014

The Double
    George Pelecanos

Another awesome read from the great G.P.
    Also known for writing some episodes of The Wire and Treme.

Now there's an author I have been wanting to read, thanks for reminding me.

For now, my next stop is a contemporary American writer I am somewhat familiar with, a "laureate of American lowlife". The book being The Post Office, the man Charles Bukowski. It'll give me something to ponder and chew on as I approach middle age myself.

"It began as a mistake." By middle age, Henry Chinaski has lost more than twelve years of his life to the U.S. Postal Service. In a world where his three true, bitter pleasures are women, booze, and racetrack betting, he somehow drags his hangover out of bed every dawn to lug waterlogged mailbags up mud-soaked mountains, outsmart vicious guard dogs, and pray to survive the day-to-day trials of sadistic bosses and certifiable coworkers. This classic 1971 novel—the one that catapulted its author to national fame—is the perfect introduction to the grimly hysterical world of legendary writer, poet, and Dirty Old Man Charles Bukowski and his fictional alter ego, Chinaski.
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Just started The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Set in New Orleans and the Southern Louisiana coast at the end of the nineteenth century, the plot centers on Edna Pontellier and her struggle to reconcile her increasingly unorthodox views on femininity and motherhood with the prevailing social attitudes of the turn-of-the-century South. It is one of the earliest American novels that focuses on women's issues without condescension. It is also widely seen as a landmark work of early feminism, generating mixed reaction from contemporary readers and criticism.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the story of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. In a perfectly crafted story, which won for Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature, is a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements in which he lives.
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    Bully Pulpit

Theodore Roosevelt rules. This country needs another of him to lead us pronto.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

Bully Pulpit

Theodore Roosevelt rules. This country needs another of him to lead us pronto.

This is on my to-read list - how is it? I really loved Theodore Rex, have you read it? If so, how does it compare to Bully Pulpit?

And yes, we definitely need another TR!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Reading this right now....kind of dry, but interesting!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I read a long article about Rosalind Franklin a few years ago. I'd never heard of her. She was certainly cheated out of any credit for identifying DNA. Too bad she didn't get any recognition until after her death.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

I read a long article about Rosalind Franklin a few years ago. I'd never heard of her. She was certainly cheated out of any credit for identifying DNA. Too bad she didn't get any recognition until after her death.

The only reason I had really heard of her before is because I'm in the science field...but yes it's a shame. I'm learning even more about the gender inequalities within the science field especially during her time. Apparently in the physics field was even worse...at...I believe it was Princeton, they wouldn't even let women in the physics building!!

8-|
  • Options

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the story of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. In a perfectly crafted story, which won for Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature, is a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements in which he lives.

Great book. I remember reading it in High School and loving it.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 said:

Now I'm going to dive into this:

Finished this up. Disappointed it had more physics than superheroes, but what can you do?

I'm going to keep the comic book-theme trend alive with this:

"Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    New work by Haruki Murakami, his latest: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. The Dutch version since the English translation will not hit the market till this summer.. .

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I'm reading An Officer and a Spy (sounds too much like Officer and a Gentleman) by Robert Harris. It's the Dreyfus Affair told as a novel. One review said it was great, one said it was slow. I can't put it down.

And I finally started posting about books/reading in a blog. Check it out if you'd like. And let me know if you have any suggestions for the blog or for books. Thanks!

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:

And I finally started posting about books/reading in a blog. Check it out if you'd like. And let me know if you have any suggestions for the blog or for books. Thanks!

Wow. Reading your blog has given me more titles to put on my "to read" list! :))
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Frankie79Frankie79 Cornwall, UK Posts: 203
    Brilliant Positive Thinking by Sue Hadfield. My brother thought I should read it after I bought it for him.
    Hyde Park 25/06/10
    MEN Arena 20-21/06/12
    Leeds 08/07/14
    Milton Keynes 11/07/14
    Mexico City 28/11/15
    EV London 6-7/6/17
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Late Shift by Bill Carter

I'm a sucker for these books.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    kw18 said:

I'm going to keep the comic book-theme trend alive with this:

Finished this up over the weekend. For those TLDRers out there, the end result is, yes, one can become Batman. But you need money, a decent build to start with, have to start before you're in your 30s (Dang!) and you won't be able to do it for very long.

I just wish Zehr went into some of the other aspects, training and knowledge it would take to become Batman -- like detective, mechanic, flight and invention skills. Maybe that will be his next book?

Sticking with science, I'm currently reading this:

Gotta love some NDT.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

Enkidu said:

Wow. Reading your blog has given me more titles to put on my "to read" list! :))
    A bunch of books in the blog will come from this thread. I want to write about King Leopold's Ghost, for example. Oh, and the Dreyfus Affair book is amazing. Amazing! (An Officer and a Spy.)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Currently reading Ryszard Kapuscinski's Imperium. Fascinating! I'm going to want to read every that man wrote, for sure!

Also recently read Max Frisch's incredible Man in the Holocene. Thank you, Henry Rollins, for turning me on to the tow great writers!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Finished the Rosalind Franklin book over the weekend...definitely gives insight to the struggles that she faced as a female scientist in the 1950's. And yes she was totally robbed...and it's unfortunate that she died so young...she was such an asset to the scientific community. Even in the end, she was literally dragging herself up the stairs to work while suffering from ovarian cancer to continue her research.

Currently reading:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    ^^^ I remember reading that loooong ago when I was 14 or 15 and thinking what a crazy, wild, great little book it was. Had no idea it would become somewhat of a reality all of these years later.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

^^^ I remember reading that loooong ago when I was 14 or 15 and thinking what a crazy, wild, great little book it was. Had no idea it would become somewhat of a reality all of these years later.

Ditto. Except most of the little $hits who hit up schools (or theaters, or ...) these day aren't doing it for the same reasons the main character in Rage did it. Nowhere close, even.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,776

I'm not very into politics, but all this behind the scenes stuff is very interesting...
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. I don't know what I was thinking taking on another long book (800+ pages) right after The Goldfinch. I blame the winter.
    ELITIST FUK