Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    SD48277 said:

The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. I don't know what I was thinking taking on another long book (800+ pages) right after The Goldfinch. I blame the winter.

Did you like The Goldfinch? I'm halfway through and sort of loving it and sort of not. I heard The Luminaries was great.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Enkidu said:

SD48277 said:

The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. I don't know what I was thinking taking on another long book (800+ pages) right after The Goldfinch. I blame the winter.

Did you like The Goldfinch? I'm halfway through and sort of loving it and sort of not. I heard The Luminaries was great.
    Overall, I really liked it.I struggled through a few parts (by struggle, I mean I was squeamish), but I think that was intentional on her part. There are a few passages in the book that slay me. I just started The Luminaries, so check back with me in two weeks to see how I do with it.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    Enkidu said:

SD48277 said:

I am having the same experience. Part of it could be that I was reading 2 books at once but I finished with the other and turned to focus more on The Goldfinch last night. About 250 pages in and I cannot decide if I want to put the pedal down and charge through or not. In some ways it is boring....but I really like the writing and I do want to see what happens.

(Who am I fooling? I know I will push through...aggrivating when I can read a 1,000 page book in under a week if it grabs me and then another book of 700-800 pages might take me 3 weeks if it doesnt really hook me and I read a handful of chapters each night.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited February 2014
    A Purple Place for Dying by John D MacDonald.. The third book in the Travis McGee series... Going trhough them like water.
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,061
    Last of the Wildwood Chronicles by Colin Meloy :)

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

Bully Pulpit

Theodore Roosevelt rules. This country needs another of him to lead us pronto.

This is on my to-read list - how is it? I really loved Theodore Rex, have you read it? If so, how does it compare to Bully Pulpit?

And yes, we definitely need another TR!
    Very good. Been a while since I read Rex so can't really compare but it's great. It is also about Taft and their friendship. Definitely an angle I've never read in detail about him. There's whole sections about Taft. Funny thing is while interesting those parts go a bit slower then the book breezes when it gets back to TR. Taft is interesting but it's another way of showing how incredible TR is.

One of the main themes is TRs use of the media and the friendships he had there. It is a great book and different from most of the other books I've read on him (and I've read a lot). It does help to know his story a bit as it is intertwined from this other perspective.

Still reading it but very worth while read and great addition to the library.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Mostly textbooks, but when I can I am reading Homers the Odyssey.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

^^^ I remember reading that loooong ago when I was 14 or 15 and thinking what a crazy, wild, great little book it was. Had no idea it would become somewhat of a reality all of these years later.

Yeah..it's crazy that it was written back in the late 70's. I know that Stephen King has asked this book to no longer be printed due to the content and that over the past 15 years there has been an increase in school shootings, but to me this book could be used as a vehicle to get kids & teenagers talking. Charlie's actions in the book are not justified, but in his mind they are because of the things that have happened to him...I'm sure there's so many other kids & teenagers that have felt/feel the same way...maybe the book could be used to get those kids that identify with Charlie's character counseling or help..just my 2 cents.

Anyway, I finished Rage last night and just started this:

Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    ^^ In my pile to read as well. Let us know!
  • Options

^^ In my pile to read as well. Let us know!

Will do. Only about 30 pages in, but the way the book is set up and how the story is being told is really cool and interesting so far.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826
    Just started 'Through Black Spruce' by Joseph Boyden been meaning to read more of his books since 'Three Day Road.'
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Hollywood - Bukowski
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    kw18 said:

Sticking with science, I'm currently reading this:

Gotta love some NDT.

I finished this over the weekend. It was compiled from a bunch of speeches and columns Tyson wrote, so it could get a bit repetitive But still a good book, with a great defense of science and space exploration. Also made me slightly depressed with a lack of moon colonies today envisioned by people in the 60s.

Now I'm reading up on this:

It's pretty good so far. Broken down into Q&A format, it makes for a quick, easy read packed with cool factoids.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,560
    for anyone who likes courtroom/whodunnits, Connelly is the shit! :D

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It's Your Ship: Management Techniques From The Best Damn Ship in the Navy
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options

It's Your Ship: Management Techniques From The Best Damn Ship in the Navy

Interesting. I read a similar type of book and then went through it with the leaders in my company. Now we instituted the Leader-Leader philosophy this year in the hopes of making all people leaders and more involved in the business.

Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders - David Marquet
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    Lawrence in Arabia
  • Options
    kw18 said:

Now I'm reading up on this:

It's pretty good so far. Broken down into Q&A format, it makes for a quick, easy read packed with cool factoids.

Finished this over the weekend. Turned out to be a really great book. Highly recommended for anyone at all curious about USA's 16th president.

Now I'm reading this:

Having never read the bible all the way through and only half-recalling old stories from my Sunday School days, this is really opening me up to some of the horrifying details of the Old Testament. I might have to pick up my bible after I finish this ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options

Lawrence in Arabia

I got this for Christmas, haven't read it yet. Just finished The Ghost of the Mary Celeste by Valerie Martin. Thought it was great.

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    1984 - Orwell
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:
    After checking your blog, I wasn't sure whether you were able to finish Moby-Dick.

I have read it twice, TWICE! That is what getting 2 degrees in English will do for you. 8-}
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

Enkidu said:
    After checking your blog, I wasn't sure whether you were able to finish Moby-Dick.

I have read it twice, TWICE! That is what getting 2 degrees in English will do for you. 8-}
    Wow ... twice? I've never read it ... I suppose that's what good only a single English dress will get for you. ;)
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options

Enkidu said:

I was a double major in English and read it once in college. I enjoyed it and the discussion around it, would have been down to read it again. :)
  • Options

Enkidu said:

I was a double major in English and read it once in college. I enjoyed it and the discussion around it, would have been down to read it again. :)
    OK, I'm clearly going to have to pick up a copy now.

I feel like a bad English major. image
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    kw18 said:

Enkidu said:

As another English major, I have not read "Moby Dick" either. Do I plan to? Maybe some day.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    kw18 said:

Enkidu said:

Should I add it to our ongoing amazon book list? :fp: ;)
  • Options

kw18 said:

Enkidu said:

Yes, probably ... :-S
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 said:

kw18 said:

Enkidu said:

It was one of the ebooks available for free on my Amazon Kindle App for Verizon/Droid. Not sure if that helps, I dont read much on my phone but I noticed this. Not sure if it would also be free for that App on a tablet or other system. (I read books not ebooks personally)
  • Options
    I did finish Moby Dick. But I didn't like it. Maybe because I was a drama major and not an english major.
  • Options

kw18 said:

kw18 said:

Enkidu said:

It was one of the ebooks available for free on my Amazon Kindle App for Verizon/Droid. Not sure if that helps, I dont read much on my phone but I noticed this. Not sure if it would also be free for that App on a tablet or other system. (I read books not ebooks personally)
    Added to the list ;)

Yeah, we've both tried e-books but we both suffer from this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A2N03lzbKs

(just happens to be a moby dick reference at the end ;))