What book are you reading?

Comments

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    afroannnie wrote:
    Reading this one...I'm trying to reach my goal of reading 30 books in 2013...and I still have 3 to go...I hope I can make it!

9780586090459.jpg

Finished this...very interesting take on how humans will evolve in the next million years...
    I also finished this one this morning:
    41O2jeTL-bL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_AA300_.jpg

Now I just have to read one more to reach my goal of reading 30 books in 2013...I may have to pick a nice easy one.. :)
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    Reading this one...I'm trying to reach my goal of reading 30 books in 2013...and I still have 3 to go...I hope I can make it!

9780586090459.jpg

Finished this...very interesting take on how humans will evolve in the next million years...

Now I just have to read one more to reach my goal of reading 30 books in 2013...I may have to pick a nice easy one.. :)
    The Cat in the Hat
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I finished Tishomingo Blues and I have to admit I wasn't that thrilled with the book. For supposedly being one of this favorite books I wasn't drawn in like I have been with his others. I have a few more of his on my reading shelf so hopefully this one is just an abberation.

I have started George Pelecanos' The Big Blowback. Only 70 some pages in and so far a lot of character and story developement. This is the 1st in the DC Quartet series that goes over multiple generations. Curious to see how this series goes. I enjoyed his first four books so I'm hoping for the same with these.

After this one I have too many options to choose from, kind of went on a spending spree this past month... :fp:

Just a heads up... For those of you that do not have a good local book store an alternative to Amazon with sometimes better prices is bullmoose.com. I got a decent amount of books from them at prices lower than amazon.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    Just about to start "Excuse me your Life is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn. A gift from a friend.....
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor: Part One
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Newch91 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

9780586090459.jpg

The Cat in the Hat
    :lol: that would be a fast read! :P I settled on " I know what you did last summer"...so that should be easy enough...not sure where it came from but kW and I want to read all the books we own so someone has to read it :)
    :lol: That's a good plan. I have many, many books that still need to be read. Hoping to go through a few before the semester begins.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Reached my 2013 goal to read 30 books...hopefully I'll be able to increase that goal for 2014 :D
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    afroannnie wrote:
    Reached my 2013 goal to read 30 books...hopefully I'll be able to increase that goal for 2014 :D

Good for you!
    :clap:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    afroannnie wrote:

Good for you!
    :clap:

Thank you! Setting my goal at 35 for next year!

Picked this back up...and I feel like I'm making progress this time...only 300 pages to go...

732903.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Reading these two at the same time, both are easy & quick. The Food Rules is pretty cool, like how he breaks down some obvious and not so obvious things about trying to eat right.
    The AGOT Graphic Novel is the 2nd volume and is beautiful. An interesting way to experience after reading the books and seeing the HBO series multiple times.

Michael%20Pollan%20Food%20Rules.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1263183697630

5588472.JPG
  • Reading these two at the same time, both are easy & quick. The Food Rules is pretty cool, like how he breaks down some obvious and not so obvious things about trying to eat right.
    The AGOT Graphic Novel is the 2nd volume and is beautiful. An interesting way to experience after reading the books and seeing the HBO series multiple times.

Michael%20Pollan%20Food%20Rules.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1263183697630

5588472.JPG

The Food Rules book sure has you look in the mirror.

I have to admit, it made a positive change in our dietary habits. These types of books I keep on the coffee table as reference and as reminders. It seems changes can occur from such books, but then they lose their potency after some time and one can revert back to old, bad habits. By sticking them in your face (so to speak)... they serve as constant reminders for what should be.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I'm also reading two books at once.

I'm reading this one in preparation for my independent study with my favorite English teacher, who works in theater. I've been wanting to write since I was 11 or 12 and focusing on this book more right now.

screenplay-syd-field_medium.jpg

This one on the side.

14213402_120727183000.jpg
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    kw18 wrote:

Now I'm off to finish up my Burroughs John Carter series, picking up with book No. 6 in the series:

Master_Mind_of_Mars.jpg

I'm hoping I can finish up the series by the end of the year ... only have six to read left!

I finished this Dec. 31, making it 40 books read in 2013. A bit shy of my goal to read 60 books ... but, hey, life gets in the way.

My new goal is to read every day. While that's not as ambitious as reading 60 or even 40 books in a year, sometimes it can be downright difficult to find a few minutes for some reading.

Right now, I'm reading the 7th book in Burroughs Barsoom series:

Fighting_Man_of_Mars.jpg

Not a bad start ... I'm enjoying the world he's created in this book series.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Got a bunch of second hand books for Christmas...starting out reading Bill Bryson's One Summer: America 1927. I love Bryson so much but there's not as much humor in this one than I'm used to.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I am reading the trade paper backs of the Comic Book CHEW.

Really cool story about a detective that anything he eats he gains their memories. So sometimes he has to eat a dead person to learn out who the killer has killed. I'm liking it a lot!
    (a lot more than the new board format......)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Finished up Dreamcatcher (1st book of 2014)...not my favorite Stephen King book, but there were some interesting parts.
    Now reading:
    kw18" said:Right now, I'm reading the 7th book in Burroughs Barsoom series:

Not a bad start ... I'm enjoying the world he's created in this book series.
    I finished this book up a couple days ago. I think it's one of the better ones of the seven I've read so far.

Now I'm wrapping up this:

If you're at all interested in the brain or how strokes can affect someone, you should absolutely pick this up. It's a quick and fascinating read.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Started this weekend, absolutely loved the first 2 in the series and had to wait 6 years or so for the 3rd to come out....hate to 'Line Jump' but this went to the head of the class once I got it.

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Currently reading "The Alchemist", "Payment in Blood" and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2014
    Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. It's very good! Yes, they made that Jake Gyllenhaal movie from it. The book is better (they changed a lot of details in the movie I think to make the author more of a hero, or at least less of a drunk (the author is the main character - the book is an autobiography of Swofford's time in the Marines as a sniper, through the Gulf War). Anyway, enjoying the book. Very interesting perspective and Swofford is a good writer. It's his true story, but he writes it in the style of a novel, really. Very cool. image
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    kw18 said:

Now I'm wrapping up this:

If you're at all interested in the brain or how strokes can affect someone, you should absolutely pick this up. It's a quick and fascinating read.

Finished this book up a couple days ago. Toward the middle it felt like she was padding it, but then it wrapped up nicely. Great book for anyone who is curious about the brain, or has a loved one who has suffered a stroke.

Now I'm reading this:

This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I always loved how grounded the show felt despite being set mostly in space. This is a pretty good read so far, explaining the sciencey things in detail the show didn't want to take the time for because it was more concerned with little stuff like characters, storyline and drama. :-P
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    PJ_Soul said:

Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. It's very good! Yes, they made that Jake Gyllenhaal movie from it. The book is better (they changed a lot of details in the movie I think to make the author more of a hero, or at least less of a drunk (the author is the main character - the book is an autobiography of Swofford's time in the Marines as a sniper, through the Gulf War). Anyway, enjoying the book. Very interesting perspective and Swofford is a good writer. It's his true story, but he writes it in the style of a novel, really. Very cool. image

I've read that, it was a good read :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Just finished Brian Sandersons "The Way Of Kings." Pretty solid book, but a little drawn out. Sets up a potentially great sequel coming out in March.

Sanderson finished Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series after he passed. Very good writer.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 said:

Just finished Brian Sandersons "The Way Of Kings." Pretty solid book, but a little drawn out. Sets up a potentially great sequel coming out in March.

Sanderson finished Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series after he passed. Very good writer.

I loved TWOK, thought it was wildly imaginative.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    ''The ocean at the end of the lane'' by Neil Gaiman
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

Finished up Dreamcatcher (1st book of 2014)...not my favorite Stephen King book, but there were some interesting parts.
    Now reading:

Finished up this..honestly it wasn't my fave Vonnegut book...

Just started this:

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

jervin007 said:

I loved TWOK, thought it was wildly imaginative.
    Dont' get me wrong, I enjoyed the book. Very creative and great character development, but very slow at times. Really not a lot of action until the last 100 pages, in a 1200 page paperback book. However, now that Kaladin, Dalinar, shallan, and szeth have found their roles in the story I really look forward to the next book. I am curious to see what happens with some of the secondary characters that had a chapter or two in the book.

Now I just have to finish the wheel of time series. Been working on that for twenty years. Now that its finally finished I am trying to read the whole thing. Kept forgetting characters and the intricacies of the plot in the years between book releases.

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Now reading:

Finished up this..honestly it wasn't my fave Vonnegut book...
    Not one of my favorites either. But even his stinkers (Slapstick, Deadeye Dick) are better than most books out there, imho.
    I SAW PEARL JAM