Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    hahaha, nice.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    When I read Moby Dick as an undergrad I thought it was pretty rough going. I later read it again in a graduate course, along with a lot of other Melville works. I enjoyed it that time.

But even for all us English majors out there, I'm not sure it's must-read. It was written for a different time and different readership. Parts of it are brilliant and parts of it are tedious. And it takes forever for that damn whale to show up.

If you feel like you have to read some Melville, I'd go with Billy Budd. I think it's his best novel. Many of his short stories are good, too.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

^^^ I remember reading that loooong ago when I was 14 or 15 and thinking what a crazy, wild, great little book it was. Had no idea it would become somewhat of a reality all of these years later.

Yeah..it's crazy that it was written back in the late 70's. I know that Stephen King has asked this book to no longer be printed due to the content and that over the past 15 years there has been an increase in school shootings, but to me this book could be used as a vehicle to get kids & teenagers talking. Charlie's actions in the book are not justified, but in his mind they are because of the things that have happened to him...I'm sure there's so many other kids & teenagers that have felt/feel the same way...maybe the book could be used to get those kids that identify with Charlie's character counseling or help..just my 2 cents.

Anyway, I finished Rage last night and just started this:

Finished Night Film over the weekend. Definitely worth the read...there were a few spots where it seemed to drag a bit, but I think that was done on purpose...I don't want to give too much away, but there were few fun twists and it was definitely a page turner at times.

I just started this last night:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    ^^ Cool, thanks, look forward to Night Film.

Next up for me, by one of our own, LukinFan / Roger:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    For my English 18th Century/Restoration class:

Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 said:

I love Swift.

A Modest Proposal is great.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

Newch91 said:

I love Swift.

We were supposed to read A Modest Proposal but we've had like three or four classes cancelled because of bad weather that my professor had to take that off the syllabus. Reading the first chapter of Gulliver and I was wondering if Swift ever heard of paragraph breaks? He's got one paragraph that went on for 3.5 pages.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 said:

Newch91 said:

I love Swift.

We were supposed to read A Modest Proposal but we've had like three or four classes cancelled because of bad weather that my professor had to take that off the syllabus. Reading the first chapter of Gulliver and I was wondering if Swift ever heard of paragraph breaks? He's got one paragraph that went on for 3.5 pages.
    It is very short, I would suggest noting to go back and read it at some point, he is a funny bastard.
  • Options
    Bob Dylan: Chronicles
  • Options
    Just got this in today. I have been waiting for it to come out and am jumping it ahead of the GASOB (giant ass stack o books) that I have queued up to read since I just finished Roger's (LukinFan) book The Big Hoot.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Ive got two going simultaneously...Also reading Roger's The bIg Hoot...and I started this too:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347

But only when I'm still awake enough to read image This reno is fun, but kicking my butt hard!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,638
    just finished PFR and have moved on to MM. I'm on a LeHane kick :D

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,638

When I read Moby Dick as an undergrad I thought it was pretty rough going. I later read it again in a graduate course, along with a lot of other Melville works. I enjoyed it that time.

But even for all us English majors out there, I'm not sure it's must-read. It was written for a different time and different readership. Parts of it are brilliant and parts of it are tedious. And it takes forever for that damn whale to show up.

If you feel like you have to read some Melville, I'd go with Billy Budd. I think it's his best novel. Many of his short stories are good, too.

A friend from this forum blogged this:

I tried, Moby-Dick

I will read anything. In the olden days I'd grab a volume from the World Book Encyclopedia and read J-K. Nancy Drew, War and Peace (not at the same time). Every MAD magazine I could get my hands on. Thomas Hardy novels in high school that were so brooding and gloomy they felt like, well, high school.

The point is - give me anything. And one day I thought, hey, I've never read Moby-Dick. Adventure, danger, obsession with revenge, life at sea on the whaling ship Pequod. I'd read and enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian books (Master and Commander, etc.). Moby-Dick would be exactly the same.

Except it wasn't. The language was difficult - it was like the Emperor saying to Mozart, "Too many notes." Moby-Dick had too many words. Sloggable words (okay, sloggable isn't really a word, but that's what Moby-Dick felt like). And oh so much description of whaling.

Now, while discoursing of sperm it behooves to speak of other things akin to it, in the business of preparing the sperm whale for the try-works. First comes white-horse, so called, which is obtained from the tapering part of the fish, and also from the thicker portions of his flukes. It is tough with congealed tendons- a wad of muscle- but still contains some oil. After being severed from the whale, the white-horse is first cut into portable oblongs ere going to the mincer. They look much like blocks of Berkshire marble.

It never quite clicked. But I didn't give up. Like Ishmael I clung to the Queequeg coffin of a book until I was rescued. And then I walked down to Pequod (what the founders of Starbucks originally wanted to call their coffee shop) and had a chai latte.

she's a funny girl....and her blog is great....but I'm going to protect her anonymity :D

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,742
    edited March 2014
    Just started reading the Hunger Games Trilogy. Only about 100 pages into the first one, but so far I think it's a fairly poorly written book. Actually, it's really the editing that is poor. A lot of misplaced commas and shit like that, which bothers me. I like the movie better at this point, despite the fact that there is of course more detail in the book .... I will read them all though. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    imalive said:

just finished PFR and have moved on to MM. I'm on a LeHane kick :D

I loved Any Given Day and the follow up Live By Night. Thought they were both outstanding.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909

Ive got two going simultaneously...Also reading Roger's The bIg Hoot...and I started this too:

Fantastic book. I'm a big comic book nerd, so that helped things, too. :)

It's the only book of his I've ever read ... I really should look into getting some of his others, too ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 said:

Now I'm reading this:

Having never read the bible all the way through and only half-recalling old stories from my Sunday School days, this is really opening me up to some of the horrifying details of the Old Testament. I might have to pick up my bible after I finish this ...

Really interesting book. He approaches his reading as an agnostic with a Jewish background, so he has some interesting insight from time to time. It doesn't totally pick the Bible apart, but it likewise doesn't whitewash it. Good read.

Now I'm on to this:

I have a feeling it's going to make me wish I studied math more in school ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,731
    ''Right as rain'' by George P. Pelecanos..old one,but always enjoy reading my brother :)>-
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kw, you will like Bringing Down The House

I didn't feel that way (I should have studied math more) when I read it back when it came out. Hated the movie but loved the book.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    imalive said:

I tried, Moby-Dick

I will read anything. In the olden days I'd grab a volume from the World Book Encyclopedia and read J-K. Nancy Drew, War and Peace (not at the same time). Every MAD magazine I could get my hands on. Thomas Hardy novels in high school that were so brooding and gloomy they felt like, well, high school.

The point is - give me anything. And one day I thought, hey, I've never read Moby-Dick. Adventure, danger, obsession with revenge, life at sea on the whaling ship Pequod. I'd read and enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian books (Master and Commander, etc.). Moby-Dick would be exactly the same.

Except it wasn't. The language was difficult - it was like the Emperor saying to Mozart, "Too many notes." Moby-Dick had too many words. Sloggable words (okay, sloggable isn't really a word, but that's what Moby-Dick felt like). And oh so much description of whaling.

Now, while discoursing of sperm it behooves to speak of other things akin to it, in the business of preparing the sperm whale for the try-works. First comes white-horse, so called, which is obtained from the tapering part of the fish, and also from the thicker portions of his flukes. It is tough with congealed tendons- a wad of muscle- but still contains some oil. After being severed from the whale, the white-horse is first cut into portable oblongs ere going to the mincer. They look much like blocks of Berkshire marble.

It never quite clicked. But I didn't give up. Like Ishmael I clung to the Queequeg coffin of a book until I was rescued. And then I walked down to Pequod (what the founders of Starbucks originally wanted to call their coffee shop) and had a chai latte.

she's a funny girl....and her blog is great....but I'm going to protect her anonymity :D

I've read Moby-Dick at least three times.

It's been a few years now. I might have to pick up that beast again.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

kw, you will like Bringing Down The House

I didn't feel that way (I should have studied math more) when I read it back when it came out. Hated the movie but loved the book.

Good! I've been meaning to read the book for ages now ... ever since I heard about the MIT story, really.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    imalive said:

I tried, Moby-Dick

=))

Like I said, parts of it are brilliant, parts of it are REALLY tedious. I'd love to say that when you get to those last 40 or so pages, the action almost makes you want to forgive Melville. As long as you can forget that it took about 650 pages to get there!

(I think Pequod might have been a better name for a coffee shop but it has about as much to do with drinking coffee as Starbucks does.)
  • Options
    CultofJackCultofJack Melbourne, Australia Posts: 4
    Eiger Dreams by Jon Krakauer. This followed Into Thin Air & Into The Wild. Obsessed with creative nonfiction at the moment , does anyone have any recommendations?
    I have this on preorder. Has anyone read any excerpts? image
  • Options

I was really looking forward to reading this but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into it. Anybody read it?
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    I just finished up Dharma Bums by Kerouac. In typical Kerouac fashion, this is a great book for self-reflection and how one views society and appreciation for the outdoors and nature.

I just started Firestarter last night...my hubby got me a 1st edition copy of this book for my birthday :D I watched the movie years ago, but I've never read the book. So far, so good...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options

I was really looking forward to reading this but I'm having a lot of trouble getting into it. Anybody read it?

Nope, it is in the pile to read though. I loved her bio of Sandy Koufax, I thought it was one of the best sports bios I have ever read.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Can someone recommend a book for me? I need to get back into reading. I could scroll and pick out a book...but I guess I don't feel like it. I'm a Kerouac/Beats fan for anybody willing to help.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    23scidoo said:

''Right as rain'' by George P. Pelecanos..old one,but always enjoy reading my brother :)>-

George Pelecanos is your brother?? Very cool! Tell him I forgive him for killing off Wallace and all my other favorite Wire characters...
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    tcadd94 said:

Can someone recommend a book for me? I need to get back into reading. I could scroll and pick out a book...but I guess I don't feel like it. I'm a Kerouac/Beats fan for anybody willing to help.

Given your description of what you like....if you have not read Naked Lunch (Burroughs) or Post Office (Bukowski) I would suggest either of those.

If you just want to read a great book? Highly recommend all of these, see which one sounds best to you.

James Ellroy - American Tabloid
    Chuck Palahniuk - Choke
    Clive Barker - The Great and Secret Show
    George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones
    Jon Krakauer - Into Thin Air