Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm not familar with that Tolkien book. Can you tell me more about it?

I'm reading Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the wind now and will read it's follow up next. I'm excited that you liked sanderson's Warbreaker. After i finish those two i'm reading Sanderson's mistborn trilogy and if that is good i may read warbreaker.

Have you tried Guy Garviel Kay or China Mielville? Two very different stypes of fantasy but i've enjoyed both and neither have that D&D feel to it. I'm only 27% done with Name of the wind but it seems to be pretty good in that sense so far as well.

Chris Tolkien published a 12 book series, The History of Middle-Earth. The first few are about Silmarillion, i guess cause that is were he started the mythology, books 6 or 7 through 9 are on Lord of the Rings, and 10-11, Morgoth's Ring is book 10, is how after Tolkien wrote LOTR he had to make changes to the mythology texts. Not sure what the last book covers. This series is like Unfinished Tales, if you ever read that.

The whole series just follows Tolkien's work on the stories. I found the LOTR section the best, just to see how he would get to a point in the story realize it wouldnt work, and instead of forcing the story along he would go back and rewrite sections so it would fit to what he has written up to. Aragorn was a hobbit that wore shoes, the fleshing out of the hobbits was interesting. He would switch out who was who, some of what Sam is was one of the other hobbits, stuff like that. Frodo was first Bilbo's son named Bingo.... One of the best parts was when the Hobbits hid from the Ringwraith off the road in the earliest form this was Gandalf, then the Ringwraiths worked into the story so he took Gandalf from that section but then had to decided where was Gandalf. Interesting stuff, can be a boring read at times, but the behind the scenes look of LOTR is worth it i think.

Ill have to check out those other authors, never heard of them before. I was thinking of reading Sanderson's Elantris, think thats what it is called, then maybe trying the Mistborn series. Trying to avoid any series since I seem to always be wrapped in 2 or 3 of them.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm not familar with that Tolkien book. Can you tell me more about it?

I'm reading Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the wind now and will read it's follow up next. I'm excited that you liked sanderson's Warbreaker. After i finish those two i'm reading Sanderson's mistborn trilogy and if that is good i may read warbreaker.

Have you tried Guy Garviel Kay or China Mielville? Two very different stypes of fantasy but i've enjoyed both and neither have that D&D feel to it. I'm only 27% done with Name of the wind but it seems to be pretty good in that sense so far as well.

Chris Tolkien published a 12 book series, The History of Middle-Earth. The first few are about Silmarillion, i guess cause that is were he started the mythology, books 6 or 7 through 9 are on Lord of the Rings, and 10-11, Morgoth's Ring is book 10, is how after Tolkien wrote LOTR he had to make changes to the mythology texts. Not sure what the last book covers. This series is like Unfinished Tales, if you ever read that.

The whole series just follows Tolkien's work on the stories. I found the LOTR section the best, just to see how he would get to a point in the story realize it wouldnt work, and instead of forcing the story along he would go back and rewrite sections so it would fit to what he has written up to. Aragorn was a hobbit that wore shoes, the fleshing out of the hobbits was interesting. He would switch out who was who, some of what Sam is was one of the other hobbits, stuff like that. Frodo was first Bilbo's son named Bingo.... One of the best parts was when the Hobbits hid from the Ringwraith off the road in the earliest form this was Gandalf, then the Ringwraiths worked into the story so he took Gandalf from that section but then had to decided where was Gandalf. Interesting stuff, can be a boring read at times, but the behind the scenes look of LOTR is worth it i think.

Ill have to check out those other authors, never heard of them before. I was thinking of reading Sanderson's Elantris, think thats what it is called, then maybe trying the Mistborn series. Trying to avoid any series since I seem to always be wrapped in 2 or 3 of them.

I'm familar with the unfisnished tales books, but not this. Really cool stuff. Thank you for sharing.
    Bingo :? thank god that changed :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm familar with the unfisnished tales books, but not this. Really cool stuff. Thank you for sharing.
    Bingo :? thank god that changed :lol:

Yeah it would be hard to take a character serious with a name like that.

Depending on how much of a nerd you are, you dont have to read the whole series. The LOTR section is pretty independent of the the rest. Here and there might be a note about a name change that was talked about in a previous volume. The second half of the last book in the LOTR section was about Tolkien developing his elvish language... I like Tolkien but that was worst then reading accounting text books, haha.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Just finished "11/22/63."

Now on to "A Storm Of Swords." Season 3 of "Game of Thrones" begins March 31!!! :corn:
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Just starting The Guns of August
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    the wolf wrote:
    It's so good! On page 320 now. Tough to put the book down at times.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Yeah. I tend to blow through books like this really fast. I'm taking my time with this one. i'm only reading it on my breaks at work to be sure i don't finish it too fast. :D
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Yeah. I tend to blow through books like this really fast. I'm taking my time with this one. i'm only reading it on my breaks at work to be sure i don't finish it too fast. :D
    Awesome. I wanted to read this book before the spring semester begins on Tuesday. Also, after reading a chapter about the albums, I'll listen to that album before I continue reading.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Awesome. I wanted to read this book before the spring semester begins on Tuesday. Also, after reading a chapter about the albums, I'll listen to that album before I continue reading.

That's my plan too. To listen to the album after reading about the making of it.

I'm just now to the chapter where Bruce hooked up with Mike Appel. Looking forward to the album and tour parts.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

That's my plan too. To listen to the album after reading about the making of it.

I'm just now to the chapter where Bruce hooked up with Mike Appel. Looking forward to the album and tour parts.
    You'll love it. Appel was aggressive but key to Bruce becoming Bruce.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    something about spanish civil war..intresting
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    almost half-way through...and this is getting sooo good!!

Under%20the%20Dome.jpeg.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    afroannnie wrote:

Loved this one!! :D
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    kw18 wrote:
    I just finished Under the Banner of Heaven. Wow. That's a heavy book. I need something a bit lighter and fluffier to read now ... gonna tackle How Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley. I really enjoyed her first book of essays when I read it several years ago ... here's hoping she's still as funny.

Love this!!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Complete works of Sherlock Holmes.
    Probably not going to read the whole thing, but they're great to pick up and put down whenever because they're like short stories.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Loved this one!! :D

I'm loving it so far too! :D
  • Options
    downtown%20owl_klosterman.jpg
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    gunter1976 wrote:
    downtown%20owl_klosterman.jpg

I have this, but I haven't read it yet...I have so many books that I own but haven't read... :fp:
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    I have this, but I haven't read it yet...I have so many books that I own but haven't read... :fp:

Consider picking it up though, since it's a fun, easygoing read.
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    gunter1976 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Consider picking it up though, since it's a fun, easygoing read.

I'll probably finish up Under the Dome by Sunday...and then I was going to read Black House by Stephen King/Peter Straub, but maybe I'll fit this one in between... :think:
  • Options
    USARAYUSARAY Posts: 517
    Honyocker Dreams Montana Memories
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Finally getting around to Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young. I read 208 pages in my first sitting.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind wrote:
    Finally getting around to Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young. I read 208 pages in my first sitting.
    I have heard it is good. Judging by your pace it must be!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I just finished Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind. I enjoyed it. Really good for an author's first novel. I had a couple issues with it, but when he was on fire he was fantastic.

I considered reading something else, but by the end i knew i had to go onto the second book ... so i'm about to start:
    9780756407124_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Im 60 pages into Imajica by Clive Barker. its not bad, but its a tough read so far. I havent given up on a book in ages, but im thinking about setting it aside to read Cloud Atlas.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Just reading some text... Population Geography: Problems, Concepts, and Prospects by Gary L. Peters and Robert P. Larkin

Fascinating stuff
  • Options
    Two books at the moment:

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" for my Brit Lit 2 class. I didn't finish it during the break. At least I started it.

"The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy for my World Lit class. During the first class on Tuesday, I didn't know if I was enrolled in a History class or an English class.
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Mission to Paris - Alan Furst
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    I think I will be rereading some work by my favourite author. After Dark, by Haruki Murakami