Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Tina Fey's "Bossypants" Started it earlier this evening and I'm about half way through it already. Very funny book so far.

Fun read. I finally started watching 30 Rock after reading it. Totally love that show and Tina Fey.

I'm just finishing with 'The Men on My Couch: True Stories of Sex, Love and Psychotherapy'

It's had some interesting bits and a poetry recommendation I may check out. :think:
    I carried a watermelon
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,951
    Strike Back - Chris Ryan
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    no one is 'a reader like me'. im a junkie and that isnt overstating it. :lol::lol:
    I was going to describe you as "avid" but that didn't seem to approach it. :lol:

avid always reminds of francis dolarhyde in red dragon signing his initial letter to hannibal lecter as 'avid fan'.. and tho that is one of my fave books, it makes my skin crawl.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    oops forgot to mention im currently reading neil youngs, waging heavy peace. i like the way the man thinks and i like the way the man writes. already dreading the fullstop at the end of this book.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    oops forgot to mention im currently reading neil youngs, waging heavy peace. i like the way the man thinks and i like the way the man writes. already dreading the fullstop at the end of this book.

I'm reading it as well! Great book!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Spies of the Balkans - Alan Furst
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    kw18 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    I just finished The Hunger Games, and now I'm reading the second book. Not bad, but definitely written for a younger audience than me ... :?

On the last book of the trilogy. Hoping I can finish it up by tomorrow.

Finished up the trilogy yesterday. Now I'm reading this:

the-wind-through-the-keyhole_king1.jpg
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    LexyLexy Posts: 46
    I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for my English GCSE. I quite like it, but I think I'd be enjoying it a lot more if my teacher hadn't decided that it would be a good idea to watch the film before we finish the book! :x :lol:
  • Options
    Lexy wrote:
    I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for my English GCSE. I quite like it, but I think I'd be enjoying it a lot more if my teacher hadn't decided that it would be a good idea to watch the film before we finish the book! :x :lol:

:fp:

Most English teachers I had wouldn't want us watching any movie based on the book at any time, let alone watch it before we finished the book!

Also sad to say that, despite being an English major, I still have yet to read To Kill A Mockingbird. :shifty: :shh:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:
    Lexy wrote:

Most English teachers I had wouldn't want us watching any movie based on the book at any time, let alone watch it before we finished the book!

Also sad to say that, despite being an English major, I still have yet to read To Kill A Mockingbird. :shifty: :shh:

Hahahaa! It is pretty good, although, admittedly, I'm not finding it quite as AMAZING as I was led to believe it was, so I don't think you're missing out on too much :lol: But still worth a read if you ever get the chance :)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    kw18 wrote:
    Lexy wrote:

:fp: I read Mockingbird my sophomore year in high school. Loved the book. We then watched the movie, which was also really good. Not many movies based on books are terrific, but this was one of the few exceptions.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    Lexy wrote:

:fp: I read Mockingbird my sophomore year in high school. Loved the book. We then watched the movie, which was also really good. Not many movies based on books are terrific, but this was one of the few exceptions.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the film too, although many of my classmates didn't. A shame we watched it before reading the book, as I usually prefer to do it the other way round, but a good film nonetheless.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    the bitch and the beast... :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Just finished "Bossypants." Contemplating if I should get the audio book of it. The book was hilarious and also nice to see some seriousness in her, as well. If anyone says women aren't funny, then they haven't read the book or seen Tina's work or are really narrow-minded.

What next to read? Should I continue reading "Dorian Gray" and be somewhat ahead of my school reading or should I go with one more pleasure read and read the Springsteen bio, "Bruce", by Peter Ames Carlin before the semester begins? Help me, please!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Started this today. Less than 200 pages. Should be a quick read. 2, 3 days max.

51ftJPAOTVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    a Feast for Crows
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    51lFH4gF4SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

received this from my brother for Xmas, been looking forward to cracking it ever since, finally
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,681
    imalive wrote:
    art-of-fielding-628.jpg

I never mentioned....

this was one of the best books I have read.....EVER
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Bruce-Peter-Ames-Carlin.jpg

:D Probably my last "me read" before the semester begins and then I'll be hammered with books for classes.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

I'm reading it as well! Great book!

just finished earlier today..

dear mr young,
    please write another book.

thanks in advance,
    cate
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

:D Probably my last "me read" before the semester begins and then I'll be hammered with books for classes.

hmmmm... was on the final chapters of neil youngs book when i had the thought that surely theres a springsteen book out there for me to read. last one i read was in the 80s and that was in 'his own words'. so much has changed since then. shall seek this one out for my next big trip.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

hmmmm... was on the final chapters of neil youngs book when i had the thought that surely theres a springsteen book out there for me to read. last one i read was in the 80s and that was in 'his own words'. so much has changed since then. shall seek this one out for my next big trip.
    Read the first 4 chapters tonight. Drinking coffee after 9 PM helps, I guess. This one is the first one with him directly involved in it since the '80s. I didn't want to put the book down, but I realized if I didn't, I wouldn't get sleep and the electric bill would be through the roof. Parents would kill me. I'll immediately continue right after I eat breakfast. I highly recommend picking this book up.
  • Options
    I finished The Wind Through the Keyhole and Blockade Billy this weekend ... both very good.

Now I'm diving into nerdery with 13 Things That Don't Make Sense.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    smarchee wrote:
    Kurt Cobain Journals

he really hated Republicans

and hairy sweaty macho redneck men. 8-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Do Life

I'm thinking of taking up running.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Just started reading "Gone Girl" last night.
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    afroannnie wrote:
    Finally finished IT...so I'm going to check out the movie tonight.

Next up I Kill Giants...then I'll start...

n706.jpg

Really enjoying the Talisman so far! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Just started reading "Gone Girl" last night.

I enjoyed that one. Not as much as "sharp objects", but good.
    I win.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Read the first 4 chapters tonight. Drinking coffee after 9 PM helps, I guess. This one is the first one with him directly involved in it since the '80s. I didn't want to put the book down, but I realized if I didn't, I wouldn't get sleep and the electric bill would be through the roof. Parents would kill me. I'll immediately continue right after I eat breakfast. I highly recommend picking this book up.

high recommendation noted. i shall use virgin australia and amtraks power to cut down on electricity bills. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say