Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    Read the first 4 chapters tonight. Drinking coffee after 9 PM helps, I guess. This one is the first one with him directly involved in it since the '80s. I didn't want to put the book down, but I realized if I didn't, I wouldn't get sleep and the electric bill would be through the roof. Parents would kill me. I'll immediately continue right after I eat breakfast. I highly recommend picking this book up.

high recommendation noted. i shall use virgin australia and amtraks power to cut down on electricity bills. :)
    Nice. I should get one of those reading lights that you attach to a book or read by candle light so I don't drive up the electric bill at night reading this.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Read the first 4 chapters tonight. Drinking coffee after 9 PM helps, I guess. This one is the first one with him directly involved in it since the '80s. I didn't want to put the book down, but I realized if I didn't, I wouldn't get sleep and the electric bill would be through the roof. Parents would kill me. I'll immediately continue right after I eat breakfast. I highly recommend picking this book up.

high recommendation noted. i shall use virgin australia and amtraks power to cut down on electricity bills. :)
    Nice. I should get one of those reading lights that you attach to a book or read by candle light so I don't drive up the electric bill at night reading this.

OMG!!! ive been wondering for years why no one has ever thought an itty bitty book light would be the most appropriate gift for me... and so consequently i refuse to buy one myself til someone actually thinks of it therefore negating my need to buy one myself. :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    OMG!!! ive been wondering for years why no one has ever thought an itty bitty book light would be the most appropriate gift for me... and so consequently i refuse to buy one myself til someone actually thinks of it therefore negating my need to buy one myself. :lol::lol:
    :lol::lol: I'd love it if someone got one for me, also. If not, then I guess I'll have to buy one. When we didn't have power for 8 days in October/November 2011 because of the Nor'easter, I was bored once it got dark and had nothing to do. I read, but didn't want to waste the batteries from the flashlight. So I lit a candle and read. It was a little tough since the candle was running low but it was fun. I need that light!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    :lol::lol: I'd love it if someone got one for me, also. If not, then I guess I'll have to buy one. When we didn't have power for 8 days in October/November 2011 because of the Nor'easter, I was bored once it got dark and had nothing to do. I read, but didn't want to waste the batteries from the flashlight. So I lit a candle and read. It was a little tough since the candle was running low but it was fun. I need that light!

do people say youre difficult to buy for too????

currently reading: without warning by john birmingham.

its an alternate history novel about what happens after the bulk of americas population disappears(along with the bulk of canada mexico and cuba) as the result of a large energy field in march 2003. birmingham was inspired to write it when he overheard someone at a demonstration say the world would be better off without the US.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

do people say youre difficult to buy for too????
    I don't think so. Sometimes I get that I am difficult to shop for, but my mom, aunt, and uncle know me well. My cousins or other aunts and uncles will ask my mom what I like and don't like.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909

its an alternate history novel about what happens after the bulk of americas population disappears(along with the bulk of canada mexico and cuba) as the result of a large energy field in march 2003. birmingham was inspired to write it when he overheard someone at a demonstration say the world would be better off without the US.

Hmm ... that sounds interesting. How is it?

I'm getting ready to start Under the Banner of Heaven next. I've heard it's a real uplifting book. :?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    kw18 wrote:

I'm getting ready to start Under the Banner of Heaven next. I've heard it's a real uplifting book. :?

Ohhhhhh. Yeah, uplifiting is about the opposite of the book. Hell of a read though. Scary.
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

Hmm ... that sounds interesting. How is it?

im only 200 pages in and i dont think im giving anything away when i say the vapourising of 300+ million souls from the continental US, a chunk of canada, mexico and cuba is a fucking disaster. .. on more than one level. the only part of the lower 48 that survives is a corner of washington state... but to say seattle is ok would be over estimating things.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    intodeep wrote:
    Only 56 pages of Tigana left.

I have three books i'm considering next so if anyone is a fan of fantasy and wants to chime in on any of them let me know.

Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
    The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
    Kushiels Dart- Jacquline Carey

They are in the order i'm considering them but you might be able to persuade me to read one of the others first over Perdido if you have a good argument :D

I have read the first two and while Perdido is very good (very good!) The Name of The Wind and its follow up are two of the best books I have read in a long time. When the 2nd book came out I went back and read TNOTW again and it didn't disappoint even a 2nd time. Very good characters.
    Also, Patrick Rothfuss is a kook - and I mean in a really good way. His blog is pretty good.

I have not read 'Dart' but will put it on a list - if you picked out the first 2 and also included that I imagine it is strong.

So I saved Name of the Wind until Winter because for some reason i love reading fantasy in the winter so last night i finally started:
    cover_277.jpg
    Only two chapters in but so far so good!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    intodeep wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Only 56 pages of Tigana left.

I have three books i'm considering next so if anyone is a fan of fantasy and wants to chime in on any of them let me know.

Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
    The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
    Kushiels Dart- Jacquline Carey

They are in the order i'm considering them but you might be able to persuade me to read one of the others first over Perdido if you have a good argument :D

I have read the first two and while Perdido is very good (very good!) The Name of The Wind and its follow up are two of the best books I have read in a long time. When the 2nd book came out I went back and read TNOTW again and it didn't disappoint even a 2nd time. Very good characters.
    Also, Patrick Rothfuss is a kook - and I mean in a really good way. His blog is pretty good.

I have not read 'Dart' but will put it on a list - if you picked out the first 2 and also included that I imagine it is strong.

So I saved Name of the Wind until Winter because for some reason i love reading fantasy in the winter so last night i finally started:
    cover_277.jpg
    Only two chapters in but so far so good!

Awesome, you are going to love it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Ohhhhhh. Yeah, uplifiting is about the opposite of the book. Hell of a read though. Scary.

I found this book fascinating in a creep, scary sort of way. Everyone gets to believe what they like but some make me wonder more than others.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just finished Ken Bruen's White Trilogy... finally was released in the States and in one book. If you like Bruen's other books you'll like this, explained a lot how the relationships between the characters formed, this was helpful since I started with the 4th book in the series. Sort of like NBC's spot "The More You Know"...

Now I'm just starting Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl... I've heard nothing but good things so I'm looking forward to diving in...
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    My mom had a book light lying around the house! Looks like I won't have to drive up the energy bill tonight. :D I may end up staying up during the night reading.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,588
    Tales From the Toronto Maple Leafs Locker Room
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" Willie Nelson
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Finished up the Talisman yesterday...really enjoyed it.

Next up, Under the Dome.

which i started awhile ago, but stopped and switched to something else
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Total fluff...J.R. Ward Dark Lover series. Taking my mind off some hard realities and enjoying the freaky paranormal sexness
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Just started reading "Gone Girl" last night.
    Wasn't quite the ending I was hoping for, but overall still a great book. I'm picking up "Sharp Objects" to read as well on my Kindle when I get a chance.

Next up I'm finally going to get around to reading "Into The Wild" for an easy quick read.
  • Options
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Next up I'm finally going to get around to reading "Into The Wild" for an easy quick read.
    I liked the book, but it got slow during the middle of it. Enjoy it, though.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Steve_Jobs_by_Walter_Isaacson.jpg

80 pages in and loving it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

:)
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    Steve_Jobs_by_Walter_Isaacson.jpg

80 pages in and loving it

i read this one on the train between albany and los angeles... jobs is an interesting character.

after america - john birmingham. book 2 of the trilogy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,053
    I just read "the road"by cormac mccarthy, one of the most amazing books i've ever read. if you have kids, especially a son, read it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    My Daughter wants me to get her Fifty Shades of Grey. And I thought
    to myself, I'd be Fifty Shades of Red at the check out counter.So I told her
    To get it herself. :D
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" Willie Nelson

You'll have to give us some feedback on that one.
    Love,Love Willie.
  • Options
    Morgoth's Ring. Getting towards the end of the series. It's been a tough read but worth it to see how one of the best worked his magic.

Before that Warbreaker by Sanderson, surprised how good it was. Ive been so reluctant to read modern authors, especially in fantasy cause they always feel like disposable stories. Warbreaker didnt feel like i was reading some D&D playgroup's campaign.
  • Options
    leekstokieleekstokie Stoke-on-Trent - UK Posts: 904
    Just about to start Keith Richards autobiography - Life
    PJ
    2012 - Manchester 1 - 20/6 
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 - 16/6, Amsterdam 2 - 17/6, Milan - 20/6, Leeds - 08/07, Milton Keynes - 11/07
    2015 - Bogota - 25/11
    2016 - Philly 1 - 28/04, Philly 2 - 29/04, NYC 1 - 01/05, NYC 2 - 02/05
    2018 - LDN 1 - 18/06, Krakow - 03/07, Berlin - 05/07, Madrid - 12/07, LDN 2 - 17/07, Missoula 13/08
    2022 - LA 1 - 06/05, LA2 - 07/05, Berlin - 21/06, Frankfurt 28/07, London 1 - 08/07, London 2 - 09/07, Budapest - 12/07, Krakow 14/07, Amsterdam 2 - 25/07, NYC Apollo - 10/09, NYC MSG - 11/09, OKC - 20/09, Denver - 22/09.
    2023 - St Paul 2 - 03/09, Chicago 1 - 05/09, Chicago 2 - 07/09

EV
    2012 - Manchester - 28/07/12, 2017 - Amsterdam - 29/05/17, 2019 -Amsterdam - 09/06/2019, Madrid - 22/06/2019
  • Options
    Morgoth's Ring. Getting towards the end of the series. It's been a tough read but worth it to see how one of the best worked his magic.

Before that Warbreaker by Sanderson, surprised how good it was. Ive been so reluctant to read modern authors, especially in fantasy cause they always feel like disposable stories. Warbreaker didnt feel like i was reading some D&D playgroup's campaign.

I'm not familar with that Tolkien book. Can you tell me more about it?

I'm reading Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the wind now and will read it's follow up next. I'm excited that you liked sanderson's Warbreaker. After i finish those two i'm reading Sanderson's mistborn trilogy and if that is good i may read warbreaker.

Have you tried Guy Garviel Kay or China Mielville? Two very different stypes of fantasy but i've enjoyed both and neither have that D&D feel to it. I'm only 27% done with Name of the wind but it seems to be pretty good in that sense so far as well.
    smithnic wrote:
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

:)
    That is a good one! :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    My Daughter wants me to get her Fifty Shades of Grey. And I thought
    to myself, I'd be Fifty Shades of Red at the check out counter.So I told her
    To get it herself. :D
    That is funny.
    That is why ereaders are great. No embaressment by the cover of the book or the title :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I just finished Under the Banner of Heaven. Wow. That's a heavy book. I need something a bit lighter and fluffier to read now ... gonna tackle How Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley. I really enjoyed her first book of essays when I read it several years ago ... here's hoping she's still as funny.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."