Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    The Parrot's Lament is really cool so far...especially if you're interested in animal behavior.

I'll probably finish that this weekend...

Then I may move onto Popism by Andy Warhol...I bet there's some good stories and quotes in there....
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Sunset Limited: The Southern Pacific Railroad and the Development of the American West 1850-1930" by Richard J. Orsi
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tybird wrote:
    "Sunset Limited: The Southern Pacific Railroad and the Development of the American West 1850-1930" by Richard J. Orsi

its a shame the train terminates at new orleans. they need to get it back all the way to jacksonville. itd certainly make my life easier. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Starting Neuromancer hope it lives up to my expectations.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Tough Shit by Kevin Smith
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    tybird wrote:

its a shame the train terminates at new orleans. they need to get it back all the way to jacksonville. itd certainly make my life easier. 8-)
    I agree
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    finished The Parrot's Lament..cool book.

Just started Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox. :D
  • Options
    Does anyone have any Peter Straub recommendations?

I really enjoyed The Talisman & The Black House which he wrote with Stephen King...but none of his "solo" stuff. I've read some reviews that indicate his books can be tough to get through.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    afroannnie wrote:

I really enjoyed The Talisman & The Black House which he wrote with Stephen King...but none of his "solo" stuff. I've read some reviews that indicate his books can be tough to get through.

I read Ghost Story a very long time ago, and it was pretty gripping. I remember not putting it down and finishing it quickly. That's the only thing I've read of his other than The Talisman, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    afroannnie wrote:

Koko.

I read this years ago (15-20 years ago>? Damn, getting old) but it still sticks as having been a great read.
    The follow up was really strong as well but I didnt care for the 3rd and final book in the trilogy.

I have read others but Koko was my favorite. I tried multiple times to get into A Dark Matter, his most recent but I could not get all of the way through.

Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

I read Ghost Story a very long time ago, and it was pretty gripping. I remember not putting it down and finishing it quickly. That's the only thing I've read of his other than The Talisman, though.

Yeah..when I was looking through some reviews, it seemed like many people enjoyed Ghost Story and it's supposed to be pretty scary.

Thanks! :D

afroannnie wrote:

Koko.

I read this years ago (15-20 years ago>? Damn, getting old) but it still sticks as having been a great read.
    The follow up was really strong as well but I didnt care for the 3rd and final book in the trilogy.

I have read others but Koko was my favorite. I tried multiple times to get into A Dark Matter, his most recent but I could not get all of the way through.

Good luck!

Cool! I'll have to check that one out too! Thanks!! :D
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Not reading it yet but yesterday I picked up a signed first edition of Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell. Score!

She is really something.

I was so bummed to learn that HBO is going to make a half-hour comedy series out of Swamplandia!. Given its setting, I could see it becoming a huge steaming pile of poo like True Blood. Hopefully, Karen Russell gets her money, and HBO then decides to table it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Going through all the Harry Potter books with my boys, we read every night together and this was their pick.
  • Options
    Finished Always Looking Up...I think I'll start this tonight...

200px-Running-with-scissors.jpg
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    9780765350381_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I started this last night :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    intodeep wrote:
    9780765350381_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I started this last night :)
    I have read other Sanderson (and really liked it) and I have that box set of the 3 Mistborn books -- just need to read them; looking forward to seeing what you thought of them.

Just started this last night, been in my pile for a year:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPzY_ImNnxOKp07P3bDWQmSmt6-v6-pCuFN_68MnFDaJGB8xpi
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    kw18 wrote:

51sMRFduQKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finished this up yesterday. It was pretty good, although the ending was a bit abrubt and some other things were a bit too coincidental. But overall I thought it was a good read.

Now I'm reaching back into my book collection to grab something I've had for a while but never read:

RobertHarris_Fatherland.jpg

The premise intrigues me, and it's off to a fairly interesting start.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:

I'm about 80 pages into this...pretty crazy, but good so far... :)
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLNuJJfB-dx2aanq-tvkrQ-xmGsBm1s1MIG534dwmdspMhkP91UA
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Something is wrong with me. I've read The Coming of the Third Reich (very good). And Fatherland - it's like one of my favorite books EVER. Maybe I have some kind of Nazi thing...

I'm reading this.

9a71aaee-45f3-469f-aafa-a370612a61ee_zps89a5a1de.jpg
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu wrote:
    Something is wrong with me. I've read The Coming of the Third Reich (very good). And Fatherland - it's like one of my favorite books EVER. Maybe I have some kind of Nazi thing...
    Hey, I read ALL KINDS of weird stuff. People must think I'm really morbid. :lol:

Speaking of books about Nazis, have you read In the Garden of the Beasts? The Nazi's rise to power as seen by an American family. Very well written and quite a story.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:

I'm reading this.

9a71aaee-45f3-469f-aafa-a370612a61ee_zps89a5a1de.jpg

A pretty interesting read in the Nazi genre is a book called Ordinary Men.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,998
    I'm reading James Bradley's Flags of Our Fathers right now. I'm not a big war stories fan- I'm much, much more into peace- but my father served as an Aviation Machinist's Mate with the Navy in the Solomon Islands during WWII and I figured I'm way overdue to learn more about that war. I've also recently read Bradley's Flayboys and Hampton Sides' Ghost Soldiers. My feeling is all three of these books are written from a mostly unbiased viewpoint and are outstanding literary works.

flags_zps651f075d.jpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    brianlux wrote:
    I'm reading James Bradley's Flags of Our Fathers right now. I'm not a big war stories fan- I'm much, much more into peace- but my father served as an Aviation Machinist's Mate with the Navy in the Solomon Islands during WWII and I figured I'm way overdue to learn more about that war. I've also recently read Bradley's Flayboys and Hampton Sides' Ghost Soldiers. My feeling is all three of these books are written from a mostly unbiased viewpoint and are outstanding literary works.

flags_zps651f075d.jpg

Pretty good book. Gets a little boring like the movie. :lol:
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

flags_zps651f075d.jpg

Pretty good book. Gets a little boring like the movie. :lol:

Try Ghost Soldiers. It's hard to put down!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

I'm about 80 pages into this...pretty crazy, but good so far... :)

Finished this up on Thursday...wow..what a crazy book. :shock:

Andy Warhol's Popism up next.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Just finished:
    the-lord-of-the-rings-return-of-the-king-vol-3-lord-of-the-rings.jpeg

Now starting:

9780307476463_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREwUeahq2j8OTHwkRWzeIUDR-xpOeuAol-ulPBqQJKgnPP0ChLOg

"Ecology? Look it up. You're involved." With this slogan, posted guerrilla-style on billboards, the group that would become "Greenpeace" launched its first campaign ... and sparked a mind-shift that has literally changed how we think about the world around us. In the decade from 1969 to 1979, Greenpeace evolved from a loosely organized protest-group in the unlikely setting of Vancouver, Canada, into an international phenomenon that went head-to-head against governments and corporations, attracting the support of ordinary citizens alongside celebrities, politicians, writers, musicians and visionaries.

Greenpeace: The Inside Story is the definitive record of this extraordinary journey, indelibly portrayed by someone who helped make it happen--Pulitzer Prize nominee Rex Weyler. With an historian's insight and a novelist's style, Weyler introduces us to the characters and events that shaped an "eco-navy"--from the first voyage into the Pacific to "stop the bomb" to the risky mission to "save the whales" to the struggles with money and ideology that accompanied success. Greenpeace is a remarkable achievement: a gripping story; a snapshot of the mid-20th-century zeitgeist; a fascinating study of media manipulation; an uncompromising look at the sometimes brutal internal struggles of activist organizations; and above all, an inspiring call-to-arms that deepens our understanding of what it means to be politically engaged. Greenpeace shows why and how the revolution begins and leads us through the aftermath.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    This looks very interesting. How are you liking it so far?
    smarchee wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREwUeahq2j8OTHwkRWzeIUDR-xpOeuAol-ulPBqQJKgnPP0ChLOg

"Ecology? Look it up. You're involved." With this slogan, posted guerrilla-style on billboards, the group that would become "Greenpeace" launched its first campaign ... and sparked a mind-shift that has literally changed how we think about the world around us. In the decade from 1969 to 1979, Greenpeace evolved from a loosely organized protest-group in the unlikely setting of Vancouver, Canada, into an international phenomenon that went head-to-head against governments and corporations, attracting the support of ordinary citizens alongside celebrities, politicians, writers, musicians and visionaries.

Greenpeace: The Inside Story is the definitive record of this extraordinary journey, indelibly portrayed by someone who helped make it happen--Pulitzer Prize nominee Rex Weyler. With an historian's insight and a novelist's style, Weyler introduces us to the characters and events that shaped an "eco-navy"--from the first voyage into the Pacific to "stop the bomb" to the risky mission to "save the whales" to the struggles with money and ideology that accompanied success. Greenpeace is a remarkable achievement: a gripping story; a snapshot of the mid-20th-century zeitgeist; a fascinating study of media manipulation; an uncompromising look at the sometimes brutal internal struggles of activist organizations; and above all, an inspiring call-to-arms that deepens our understanding of what it means to be politically engaged. Greenpeace shows why and how the revolution begins and leads us through the aftermath.

• Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    About to start Day by Day Armageddon....
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23