2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I was an English major too. See where it got me! :P :lol:

DT, surprised you couldn't finish Dorian Gray. Yeah, the characters were ridiculous but the book is so short! I just looked at the whole story as a melodramatic joke and didn't even try to take it seriously.

I guess at the time I just couldn't be bothered with it. I love the concept with the painting and I'll go back and finish one day I expect. I think it was the case I hadn't read anything in a while and so I was looking for something good to get me hooked again.

Anyhoo I've just finished reading the first volume of the 'Sandman' series and now I have started 'Hyperion' by Dan Simmons. After that I have 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' and 'The Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories' as well as a Bukowski poetry book to read so I have enough to keep me going for a while :D
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    still working on It...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    kandc.jpg

If you haven't read Michael Chabon, do it. If you have a chance to go hear him speak or do a reading, do it. The man's a genius.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Gone Girl
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Gone Girl

ooh i just bought this today... along with 3 other books. im trying to save it for a cruise im going on in a few weeks. not sure how successful ill be tho.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

DT, surprised you couldn't finish Dorian Gray. Yeah, the characters were ridiculous but the book is so short! I just looked at the whole story as a melodramatic joke and didn't even try to take it seriously.

I guess at the time I just couldn't be bothered with it. I love the concept with the painting and I'll go back and finish one day I expect. I think it was the case I hadn't read anything in a while and so I was looking for something good to get me hooked again.
    Well, it's not like it's one of those Great Works that you absolutely must read. Wilde was a good writer and very witty but he wasn't very good at creating a character that was supposed to personify evil. Lots of the story's details are laughable.

I just meant that I got through it quickly by not taking it seriously.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

Well, it's not like it's one of those Great Works that you absolutely must read. Wilde was a good writer and very witty but he wasn't very good at creating a character that was supposed to personify evil. Lots of the story's details are laughable.

I just meant that I got through it quickly by not taking it seriously.

was discussing dorian gray with my youngest yesterday after spotting her staring at herself in the bathroom mirror. she asked what it was about and i told her, then she asked if i had it. i told her yes. im hoping she picks it up.. she could do worse than read oscar wilde.

p.s. i too am an english major. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Gone Girl

ooh i just bought this today... along with 3 other books. im trying to save it for a cruise im going on in a few weeks. not sure how successful ill be tho.

I got it for Christmas... I think it is going to jump in line... hopefully the other books don't make a big stink about it!

But first I am going to start Ken Bruen's The White Trilogy... the first three books of his London based Police dramas... first time I was able to find this at an affordable price in the States... loved his other books so I am looking forward to getting through these stories.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I will soon start to read my Secret Santa's book of love poems, well not hers, but she sent it to me.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin. The return of Rebus - woo hoo.
  • Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I just finished The Hunger Games, and now I'm reading the second book. Not bad, but definitely written for a younger audience than me ... :?
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnie wrote:
    still working on It...

still a little less than 200 pages to go...read a good bit this afternoon...then i got distracted...
  • Options
    was discussing dorian gray with my youngest yesterday after spotting her staring at herself in the bathroom mirror. she asked what it was about and i told her, then she asked if i had it. i told her yes. im hoping she picks it up.. she could do worse than read oscar wilde.

I agree, your youngest might enjoy Wilde. Is she a reader like you? I've noticed for a long time that you seem to read quite a lot. (Should have guessed you were an English major! :ugeek: )
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    i received the new Neil Young book (Waging Heavy Peace) for Christmas from my father in law. excited to read it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

I agree, your youngest might enjoy Wilde. Is she a reader like you? I've noticed for a long time that you seem to read quite a lot. (Should have guessed you were an English major! :ugeek: )
    :ugeek: Love reading. As an English major, I hate writing...well, at least what I'm assigned to write.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Forgot I had started Tina Fey's "Bossypants" a month or two ago and continuing it right now. I can not stop laughing right now. Her chapter, "Dear Internet", was unbelievably hilarious. If the comments by people are actually real, her response to them is priceless and way too funny.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    i received the new Neil Young book (Waging Heavy Peace) for Christmas from my father in law. excited to read it!
    Awesome! Enjoy it!
  • Options
    Tina Fey's "Bossypants" Started it earlier this evening and I'm about half way through it already. Very funny book so far.
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    kandc.jpg

If you haven't read Michael Chabon, do it. If you have a chance to go hear him speak or do a reading, do it. The man's a genius.

I loved this book ... so brilliantly cut-wrenching.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    These should arrive later today

200px-Rye_catcher.jpg

cats-cradle-cover.jpg

I also need to conquer Infinite Jest.... had it over a year and didnt put a dent into it. I also have 1984, and Hell House..

seen below

23kt8g7.jpg
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options

no one is 'a reader like me'. im a junkie and that isnt overstating it. :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Newch91 wrote:

:ugeek: Love reading. As an English major, I hate writing...well, at least what I'm assigned to write.

the most frequent comment on my assignments was that my writing was too narrative. and with me being not very disciplined that wasnt going to change. *shrugs*
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Newch91 wrote:
    "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. Getting a head start to my reading for spring semester. I am going to be hammered with reading for next semester.

I couldn't finish it. I love his writing but I hated every single character in that book. Every single one!

Have fun :lol:

DT!!!! :o One of my favourite books since I was a young one! Keep reading it over and over again.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,817
    These should arrive later today

200px-Rye_catcher.jpg

cats-cradle-cover.jpg

I also need to conquer Infinite Jest.... had it over a year and didnt put a dent into it. I also have 1984, and Hell House..

seen below

23kt8g7.jpg

I so wish that I could go back and read Vonnegut for the first time. I was semi-obsessed with his work for a while in college after he came and spoke to us. Brilliant, wild imagination and wit....one of the things that I found hilarious about him was that KV palled around with Geraldo Rivera (his son in law if I recall correctly) and Cheech Marin. What a f'd up threesome to imagine having beers with.
    Anyway, enjoy Cat's Cradle it is amazing.
    (And CITR is classic and means something different every time it is read.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:
    I just finished The Hunger Games, and now I'm reading the second book. Not bad, but definitely written for a younger audience than me ... :?

On the last book of the trilogy. Hoping I can finish it up by tomorrow.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    Finally finished IT...so I'm going to check out the movie tonight.

Next up I Kill Giants...then I'll start...

n706.jpg
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    About to delve into Life by Keith Richards. Excited for this read!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    no one is 'a reader like me'. im a junkie and that isnt overstating it. :lol::lol:
    I was going to describe you as "avid" but that didn't seem to approach it. :lol:
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Black Mass
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer