What book are you reading?

Comments

• Byrnzie wrote:
    Just about to start this. Anyone else read it?

walden.jpg
    Yes, though it was many years ago. It's a thoughtful book. I still remember how it's structured according to the seasons and my favorite part was when he was chasing the loon.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Life by Keith Richards. Been sitting on the shelf for a while. Want to pick up new ones by Pete & Neil and the one about Bruce and...( I have a problem :D ) but told myself I had to start with the ones I have first before I add anymore. Clapton's book has also been sitting on the shelf.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    0771014627.jpg?lang=en&width=210&quality=85&altimages=true&csvids=

In the spring of 2002, Dave Bidini set off for Nettuno, Italy, with his wife, Janet, and their two small children, in search of his favourite summer game, baseball. Nettuno was his destination because this town, south of Rome, has been the baseball capital of Italy since 1944, when the game was introduced by the American GIs who liberated the region. Bidini wanted to spend time in a town where everyone is as nuts about the game as he is, and in Nettuno, they love the game so much that they hand out baseball gloves and bats to children taking their first communion.

For six months Bidini followed the fortunes of the Serie B Peones, Nettunese to the core. At the same time he was also learning about his own heritage, having spent his youth vigorously ignoring his Italianness. The result of his summer in Italy is vintage Bidini: a funny, perceptive, and engrossing book that takes readers far beyond the professional sport to the game that people around the world love to play.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    smarchee wrote:

In the spring of 2002, Dave Bidini set off for Nettuno, Italy, with his wife, Janet, and their two small children, in search of his favourite summer game, baseball. Nettuno was his destination because this town, south of Rome, has been the baseball capital of Italy since 1944, when the game was introduced by the American GIs who liberated the region. Bidini wanted to spend time in a town where everyone is as nuts about the game as he is, and in Nettuno, they love the game so much that they hand out baseball gloves and bats to children taking their first communion.

For six months Bidini followed the fortunes of the Serie B Peones, Nettunese to the core. At the same time he was also learning about his own heritage, having spent his youth vigorously ignoring his Italianness. The result of his summer in Italy is vintage Bidini: a funny, perceptive, and engrossing book that takes readers far beyond the professional sport to the game that people around the world love to play.

Wow, that's sounds intresting.
    smarchee wrote:

Wow, that's sounds intresting.

yeah it is, I love baseball books

Dave Bidini was the lead singer for a Canadian rock band the Rheostatics and has written a couple of books, he's a great writer
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    oona left wrote:
    Just finished "The Devil In The White City."

Now I'm knee deep in "Columbine." Someone here mentioned it months ago, and it's been on my list since.

Edit: Fixed my typo
    Don't know if it was me but I thought Columbine was excellent. Well written and thought-provoking. There are so many false assumptions about what happened and why, and he does a thorough job of debunking them.

Agreed. I can count myself among those who were mistaken on a lot of things, especially motive.

I did not find the accounts of the attack to be overly gruesome in any way, but the scope of the assault and the length of the planning are both chilling.

If it was you, thanks for the recommendation. I don't know how long it will take me to shake the feeling the book has left me with, but I'm glad I read it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    art-of-fielding-628.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • oona left wrote:
    Don't know if it was me but I thought Columbine was excellent. Well written and thought-provoking. There are so many false assumptions about what happened and why, and he does a thorough job of debunking them.

Agreed. I can count myself among those who were mistaken on a lot of things, especially motive.

I did not find the accounts of the attack to be overly gruesome in any way, but the scope of the assault and the length of the planning are both chilling.

If it was you, thanks for the recommendation. I don't know how long it will take me to shake the feeling the book has left me with, but I'm glad I read it.
    I agree, the degree of planning behind it shocked me along with their intent. It was also discouraging to read how poorly the local authorities managed the investigation.

The book bothered me for a long time.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Surviving the Extremes - Kenneth Kamler
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Currently reading The Laughterhouse by Paul Cleave. If you like his previous works you will like this one, although I am kind of shocked at the lack of gruesome scenes as he's had in previous books. I like the intertwining of his previous books and I still have two older books of his to read that have yet to get US releases. I'm sure Christchurch cringes everytime he releases a new book as he really pulls out the worst of the city, not worse than any other authors do though.

I'm hoping to finish this by Wednesday as I leave for vacation Thursday and I want to start a fresh book or two while I enjoy some time off. I'm thinking of taking either some Noir classics like Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me, Dashell Hammett's Red Harvest, or Ed McBain's Cop Hater. I also have Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses and Colin Bateman's Divorcing Jack... or I could just go with my usual quick reads with Michael Connelly and Lee Child... I got a stack and a half of books to chose from... I'm pretty sure this will be a harder decision than what clothes to pack! ;)
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • oona left wrote:

It may have been me who mentioned the Columbine book a couple months ago.

I'm right there with you with having been mistaken on so many things about that tragedy. As I was reading the descriptions of the actual attack, I was on the edge of my seat like it was fiction. Pretty sad that that actually happened. But overall, great book and very eye-opening.
  • Reading "No Easy Day" right now....

200px-NoEasyDayCoverArt.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    virginia woolf: an inner life - julia briggs
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • A sociology text
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I Can Pee On This...and other Poems by Cats

Hilarious and cute at the same time.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    How to Survive a Robot Uprising
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Still slogging my way through Pete Townshend's Who I Am. I just don't like reading memoirs! Started listening to the audiobook on my commute to and from work and I'm enjoying it much more that way. He reads it himself and it's often very funny as he laughs at different events and imitates other people's voices as he quotes them. I've never listened to an audiobook before but this is kind of fun.
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Moshin Hamid
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Still slogging my way through Pete Townshend's Who I Am. I just don't like reading memoirs! Started listening to the audiobook on my commute to and from work and I'm enjoying it much more that way. He reads it himself and it's often very funny as he laughs at different events and imitates other people's voices as he quotes them. I've never listened to an audiobook before but this is kind of fun.

why would you start a memoir if you dont like reading memoirs??? i get its pete townsend but why think itll be any different than reading any other memoir. i have read a bio on pete townsend and im not even a fan of the who(please be kind to me ;) ). but then again i am a fan of biographies. i can imagine him being very entertaining reading his memoir.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Still slogging my way through Pete Townshend's Who I Am. I just don't like reading memoirs! Started listening to the audiobook on my commute to and from work and I'm enjoying it much more that way. He reads it himself and it's often very funny as he laughs at different events and imitates other people's voices as he quotes them. I've never listened to an audiobook before but this is kind of fun.

why would you start a memoir if you dont like reading memoirs??? i get its pete townsend but why think itll be any different than reading any other memoir. i have read a bio on pete townsend and im not even a fan of the who(please be kind to me ;) ). but then again i am a fan of biographies. i can imagine him being very entertaining reading his memoir.
    Well, my decision to read it was a little more than just being a Who fan. Pete worked on this book for many years. He was one of the first artists to have his own web site, petetownshend.com, which unfortunately no longer exists. He had a blog there that was often very good reading. He also posted passages from his work-in-progress autobiography and I was impressed with the writing. (I also liked the title he was planning to give it--Pete Townshend: Who He? I'm guessing the lame title it ended up with was an editorial decision.)

Many memoirs are badly written, so even if the person has had an unusual or eventful life, I can't get past the writing. While that isn't the case with this one, it still follows the humdrum format of "I did this, and then I did this, and then I went there, and then I did that." I tend to think most memoirs are self-serving. There's some of that in Pete's but he is also a pretty harsh critic of himself, with plenty of detail about his failings and the people he's wronged.

But listening to him read the book is very entertaining. He's a good storyteller. Listening to it seems to make it a very different book.
    The Island of the Day Before - Umberto Eco
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    The Walking Dead-Compendium One
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Great Northern Railway: A History by R. Hidy, M. Hidy, R. Scott and D. Hofsommer.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    "Just After Sunset" by Stephen King.
  • OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    The King's biography and it's really good!

book_carelesslove.jpg
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I just finished the Talisman, and now I'm starting Black House.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Owl wrote:
    The King's biography and it's really good!

book_carelesslove.jpg

This is the second one? Oh man, these two Elvis books are THE best. If you haven't read them, get them. I wasn't ever a big Elvis fan and then I read these books and understood why he's - duh - the King.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    This months Men's Health on work outs for the abdominals.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

fall-of-giants.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit