What book are you reading?

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Kraven wrote:
    Just finished Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton and before that I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and before that Congo, also by Michael Crichton.

Now I am on Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

i love crichton. the origin story in the latest planet of the apes movie reminded me very much of part of his book next.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Kraven wrote:
    Just finished Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton and before that I read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and before that Congo, also by Michael Crichton.

i love crichton. the origin story in the latest planet of the apes movie reminded me very much of part of his book next.

He's my favorite author, been reading his stuff since I was 8 haha. Lost World is probably my favorite book of all time. I am getting around to finally polishing off his entire fiction catalog. I have read a bunch this year that I had never gotten around to reading like Eaters of the Dead, Congo, and Sphere. I think Great Train Robbery is the last one I have left before his new book comes out in November, sucks it will be his last one. :cry:
    32 shows and counting...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Lone Survivor

A book about a navy seal who is the "lone survivor" of his team on an afghan mission.

so far it is okay. He really beats a right wing drum and attacks a lot of liberal things, but it is early. i'm trying to stay open minded about it and see things from his perspective in hopes it will enlighten me to a side of things i usually don't agree with or see.

I was hoping it would focus more on the aspects of survival and sacrifice. I did not know i was going to be preached to about politics.

We'll see though hopefully it will move in that direction
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • just finished the Tao Te Ching. Many words of wisdom that I will live by.

Next up; A Brief History of Time (Hawking).

In the hole; The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!!!

how's that for an eclectic mix? :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Just started a series of books by Chris Ryan. They Include: Hit List, Land of Fire, Greed, The Increment, Blackout, Strike Back and Firefight.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Philosophy for Dummies :P
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!!!
    i read those in high school, i love 'em!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Tuesdays With Morrie for the 10th time or so...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I don't even brought a novel with me on my US and Canada trip - shame on me. I'm reading "Oddball Illinois - A Guide to Some Really Strange Places", a traveller's guide. Hilarious stuff :lol:
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    2011 International Film Guide

Love dipping in and out of this (and the previous versions)
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Roxana Saberi's Between Two Worlds for a Politics & Prose bookclub.

If you are interested in seeing what other people are reading on a cool scale go to tweetchat.com, and enter fridayreads after the #. It's pretty cool.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • intodeep wrote:
    The Lone Survivor

A book about a navy seal who is the "lone survivor" of his team on an afghan mission.

so far it is okay. He really beats a right wing drum and attacks a lot of liberal things, but it is early. i'm trying to stay open minded about it and see things from his perspective in hopes it will enlighten me to a side of things i usually don't agree with or see.

I was hoping it would focus more on the aspects of survival and sacrifice. I did not know i was going to be preached to about politics.

Enjoyed that book. Sometimes you have to accept a pov just might not be your own; the story of this guy's survival is cool enough to make the book worth it. [Also hard to knock him for having that opinion given what he has been through.]
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Just finished Incendiary by Chris Cleave and working my way through Where Men Win Glory
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    It from Stephen King :P
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    intodeep wrote:
    The Lone Survivor

Enjoyed that book. Sometimes you have to accept a pov just might not be your own; the story of this guy's survival is cool enough to make the book worth it. [Also hard to knock him for having that opinion given what he has been through.]
    I ended up enjoying it. I thought he missed an opportunity though in the way he tried to make his political points. In contrast i read With the Old Breed about Eugene Sledge's campaign in the Pacific theatre adn you left that book feeling the marines chewed them up and spit them out but i never felt like he was over the top about it.

I would recomend lone survivor though because it is great to get some first hand perspective of things.

Since then i read Issac Asimov's Foundation and i just started his Foundation and Empire. I deiced to read some classic Sci Fi since i have not read much of it so i'm reading the foundation trilogy, then Dune, then Ender's game.
    By then i'm sure i'll be ready for a switch to some different stories :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Cool, glad you ended up enjoying it.

I have read the sci-fi you are referencing and loved Ender's Game and all of Card's follow ups. Really liked the first few Dune novels but I stopped liking them as much after. Was a trip to go back and watch the David Lynch take on the book years after I had first seen it but had not yet read the book.

Currently reading 'A Dark Matter' by Peter Straub. So far not digging it as much as some of his older works but I really just started.

On Deck:
    'Happy Hour Is For Amateurs' by Philadelphia Lawyer
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    still%2Balice.jpg

Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.

Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what's it's like to literally lose your mind...
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • My gf picked this up
    at Bacchus Books in Golden, BC.
    She spotted it 'cause she's a
    Hugh Laurie fan, + had NO IDEA
    that he had written a novel.
    Brilliant wit,
    but I think I took too long to read it,
    which made the last 100 pages drag a bit.
    Anyways,
    I always love posting to this thread!
    Cheers.

gun-seller-hugh-laurie-paperback-cover-art.jpg
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • right now, fear and loathing in las vegas...

in the que..

enter night- metallica biography
    pearl jam 20 (haha)
    first book of game of thrones series...

but i think those three in the que are going to be usurped by the duff mckagen bio, if i can find it on sale this week...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    while i'm waiting for pearl jam 20 to be delivered, i'm reading daniel quinn's beyond civilization.

in the que..

pearl jam 20 (haha)

but i think those three in the que are going to be usurped by the duff mckagen bio, if i can find it on sale this week...

Is it your first reading of Fear & Loathing? I would give a sizeable chunk of cash to read that as the 'first time' again. (Would help to be 18 again too I guess...) Fuck, I read that book in a day and re-read it again the next day. LOVED it.

Let us know what you thought of Enter Night, if it is good I would like to read it.
    A Game of Thrones is awesome. You will want to go right into the 2nd book after the first. Doesnt matter if you like that sort of thing or not, it has everything in it and the character development is top flight. Enjoy!

in the que..

pearl jam 20 (haha)

Is it your first reading of Fear & Loathing? I would give a sizeable chunk of cash to read that as the 'first time' again. (Would help to be 18 again too I guess...) Fuck, I read that book in a day and re-read it again the next day. LOVED it.

Let us know what you thought of Enter Night, if it is good I would like to read it.
    A Game of Thrones is awesome. You will want to go right into the 2nd book after the first. Doesnt matter if you like that sort of thing or not, it has everything in it and the character development is top flight. Enjoy!
    yeah it is my first time reading fear and loathing. i love thompson's style. i have not gotten to it too much the last 2 weeks because i have been preoccupied with my cardinals' run through the playoffs :oops: i am taking it slow because i want to take it all in. most times when i read things the first time i miss something so i want to really get it so i don't have to read it again in 6 months lol...

i'll let you know about enter night. i got it on clearance at border's since all of their stores were closing and haven't read it yet since i got like 6 books at the same time.

as far as game of thrones goes, i watched the series and fell in love with it and people said how much better the book is so i had to read it, didn't i? hopefully i get a better grasp of that since there were just so many interesting characters in the show that i want to know more about.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,671
    Robert's Ridge - Malcolm MacPherson
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • intodeep wrote:
    The Lone Survivor

Great book. Great story. It did get a little preachy w/ the politics.

They're making a movie out of it. That should be pretty cool...
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    GameChange.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    GameChange.jpg

That was a really good read. HBO is making a movie on the book...I think it comes out next year.
  • Finishing up Ancient Gonzo Wisdom: Interviews with Hunter S Thompson; next gonna re-read Thompson's The Rum Diaries before the movie is released. After that, I want to get into a classic, but just not sure which. Any suggestions?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Finishing up Ancient Gonzo Wisdom: Interviews with Hunter S Thompson; next gonna re-read Thompson's The Rum Diaries before the movie is released. After that, I want to get into a classic, but just not sure which. Any suggestions?

a classic? read The Count of Monte Cristo? Amazing book. A real classic.

Under the Banner of Heaven. Modern classic.

The Great and Secret Show. Modern wierd classic.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Kraven wrote:
    Kraven wrote:

He's my favorite author, been reading his stuff since I was 8 haha. Lost World is probably my favorite book of all time. I am getting around to finally polishing off his entire fiction catalog. I have read a bunch this year that I had never gotten around to reading like Eaters of the Dead, Congo, and Sphere. I think Great Train Robbery is the last one I have left before his new book comes out in November, sucks it will be his last one. :cry:

I really enjoyed his nonfiction book, Travels.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."