Nick Hornby is god.

Yes. He is. Hilarious god.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    None Too Fragile.

I just finished reading this. It was ok but nothing new really.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Catch-22
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Half Broke Horses. By Jeanette Walls. Im enjoying it. People said it wasnt as good as Glass Castle but I think its a good read. Very entertaining.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • tinkerbell wrote:
    None Too Fragile.

I just finished reading this. It was ok but nothing new really.

I got this and read it a few months ago. I thought it was ok too - not much new except a few details etc.
    i got an updated version that was up to this year - but after 98, the next 13 years of PJ's career are summed up in like 2 chapters? Really poor IMO, especially since it was meant to be a "Specially Updated for PJ's 20th Anniversary"

and LOTS of editing errors - misquotes and stuff.

but because I love PJ, I found it interesting :lol:
  • Just finished Unless by Carol Shields - need to get more of her stuff, have read some short stories and Unless blew me away. She's great, writes so beautifully and fantastically.
    Took me over 3 months to read the book though - stopping and starting because of exams and bs like that. no time for reading.

Started reading The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai - starts off stunningly, his description and characterisation is wonderful and I'm only up to chapter 3
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    The newest Bloody Jack book - got an advanced copy - and I'm loving it!

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Golden-Drago ... pd_sim_b_8
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Catch-22
    I cannot stand that book.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    A Song Apart
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I'm reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and I must say I am 250 pages into it and am bored out of my mind. Someone please tell me that its worth finishing!!

I have no idea how this was an international best seller.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    jervin007 wrote:
    I'm reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and I must say I am 250 pages into it and am bored out of my mind. Someone please tell me that its worth finishing!!

Isn't a movie being made of the book also?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    jervin007 wrote:

Keep reading.. it is sorta slow til a out 2/3rds in..I thought it was worth plowing through..
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I have just started The Last Jihad by Joel C. Lawerence. Good so far, but I'm only 100 pgs in.. so..
    Newch91 wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

The international movie was already made and supposedly its fantastic. American version comes out this christmas with Daniel Craig and directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, Social Network, etc.).
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

jervin007 wrote:

Keep reading.. it is sorta slow til a out 2/3rds in..I thought it was worth plowing through..

Thanks. I am about to start Part 3, so hopefully it starts picking up.
    PJ:

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Last week I read Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion all by Dan Simmons. Absolutely fantastic, all of them. Although I have to admit that a lot of the science stuff went right over my head ;) :ugeek: Despite that, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story in any way whatsoever :)

Currently reading The Hollow Man also by Dan Simmons.

I read "The Terror" by Simmons and enjoyed it.

Reading now: "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Just finished "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart. Somebody made me read it, but good stuff none the less.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I'm reading Dune...I'm only about 100 pages into it and I'm bored out of my mind, and I think the main character's a jerk. Should I continue?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    jervin007 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

The international movie was already made and supposedly its fantastic. American version comes out this christmas with Daniel Craig and directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, Social Network, etc.).
    Hmm...with Fincher, it has a shot at being really good.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    rrivers wrote:
    Last week I read Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion all by Dan Simmons. Absolutely fantastic, all of them. Although I have to admit that a lot of the science stuff went right over my head ;) :ugeek: Despite that, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story in any way whatsoever :)

Just finished 'Goon Squad'. It was good, but I had higher expectations, with all the hype. It jumps around in time, so pay attn to the characters. You may think they are insignificant, but some of them pop up later on in the book. Enjoy it!

Just started "Evening's Empire" by Bill Flannigan. About 30 pages in and I'm diggin it already :)
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Kara Goucher's Running for Women
    Trying to keep my motivation up while dealing with and trying to get rid of shin splints :x
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    VinylGirl wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Just finished 'Goon Squad'. It was good, but I had higher expectations, with all the hype. It jumps around in time, so pay attn to the characters. You may think they are insignificant, but some of them pop up later on in the book. Enjoy it!

Just started "Evening's Empire" by Bill Flannigan. About 30 pages in and I'm diggin it already :)

Yeah I'm enjoying "Goon Squad" but it is frustrating. Not because it jumps around so much but a few times there were very interesting characters/situations going on and then it ends and the next chapter is a completely different person/time. Then I'll get interested in that and the next chapter is a huge jump. It's actually more like a book of short stories.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Angels & Demons/Dan Brown
    In Digitized Remorse
  • I just finished The Glass Castle and just started Plainsong by Kent Heruf.
    Emily
  • VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    rrivers wrote:

Yeah I'm enjoying "Goon Squad" but it is frustrating. Not because it jumps around so much but a few times there were very interesting characters/situations going on and then it ends and the next chapter is a completely different person/time. Then I'll get interested in that and the next chapter is a huge jump. It's actually more like a book of short stories.

I know what you mean. As the book goes on,it does go back to most of the characters, just at different points in their lives, but not all of them. It does get frustrating, because it pulls you in, and then wham! The chapter ends and you don't know what happens!
    I just started Jason's book, "This All Encompassing Trip", the other day. Enjoying it so far.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    I finished The Reading Promise, everyone should read that it's great. Now I'm reading The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman which is very much like her other books.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Saboteurs: Wiebo Lugwig's War Against Big Oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiebo_Ludwig
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    'Epitaph of a Small Winner', aka 'The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas' - Machado De Assis

9780747599043.jpg

“I am a deceased writer not in the sense of one who has written and is now deceased, but in the sense of one who has died and is now writing.” So begins the posthumous memoir of Braz Cubas, a wealthy nineteenth-century Brazilian. Though the grave has given Cubas the distance to examine his rather undistinguished life, it has not dampened his sense of humor. In the tradition of Laurence Stern’s Tristram Shamdy, Epitaph of a Small Winner is one of the wittiest self-portraits in literary history.

"Epitaph of a Small Winner is probably one of those thrillingly original, radically skeptical books that will always impress readers with the force of private discovery."--From the foreword by Susan Sontag

"Machado de Assis was a literary force, transcending nationality and language, comparable certainly to Flaubert, Hardy, or James...Epitaph of a Small Winner is clearly one of those books which we call definitive. It is there, complete, done: a study of ironic disillusionment couched in the most delicate suavity of despair..."--The New York Times Book Review

"No satirist, not even Swift, is less merciful in his exposure of the pretentiousness and the hypocrisy that lurk in the average good man and woman. Machado, in his deceptively amiable way, is terrifying."--The New Republic

"A masterpiece of Epicurean irony."--The New York Times
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I plan to start Water for Elephants today as I hear so many great things about it.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2