What book are you reading?

Comments

• pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    will be reading this in a about a week...

Breathing by Brian R. Ward
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Just finished this one..... Mutiny: The True Events That Inspired The Hunt For Red October by: Boris Gindin and David Hagberg

Just started....Some Girls by Jillian Lauren.

Still reading ....Together Alone: The Story Of The Finn Brothers :D
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    Currently reading Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk.

Anyone familiar with Amy Hempel? There is a short story relating to her work in Stranger Than Fiction and kind of got me interested. Curious if anyone has any opinions on her work.

I read some of her stuff after reading that Palahniuk was a fan of hers. I just didn't get her work at all, didn't connect on any level, but that doesn't mean you won't.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Simone de Beauvoir - Old Age
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 752
    botany of desire
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,671
    Just finished Tough Guy, autobiography on Bob Probert (NHL Enforcer) good read :thumbup:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    i'm still in the middle of re-reading Anne Rice's Witch Series. I just completed The Witching Hour. Before i continue with the second book, Lasher, I am bouncing back to the vampire series with Memnock the Devil.

The Witching Hour is by far the best book i've ever read, but it takes awhile to get going (it is around 950-1000 pages!)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell.

Comparative mythology. Fascinating, but a difficult read if you don't have a decent knowledge base of the world's ancient myths.

Next up is either The Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley or the book about the eight stages of consciousness by Tim Leary.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell.

Comparative mythology. Fascinating, but a difficult read if you don't have a decent knowledge base of the world's ancient myths.
    That's a great one. If somebody isn't knowledgeable about mythology, that book is a good excuse to learn about it. Then you'll always be looking for parallels with modern literature. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I am reading a murder mystery that an atty in my office wrote and has not yet published (he has written 3 other books). Pretty good so far---has kept my interest anyway.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    ponner1us wrote:
    Currently reading Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk.

Anyone familiar with Amy Hempel? There is a short story relating to her work in Stranger Than Fiction and kind of got me interested. Curious if anyone has any opinions on her work.

I read some of her stuff after reading that Palahniuk was a fan of hers. I just didn't get her work at all, didn't connect on any level, but that doesn't mean you won't.

Thanks! I see where they are publishing most of her short stories in one book. Might give it a shot. Worst case scenario I give it to someone who will like it!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just started Once Were Cops by Ken Bruen. Should be a quick read like his Jack Taylor series was, good stories, just not very thick with fluff so to speak.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    Bossypants - Tina Fey... pretty funny
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Miracles of Life: Shanghai To Shepperton - An Autobiography - J.G Ballard

9780007270729.jpg
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Water for Elephants

That's the only one of hers that's really good. Her latest, Ape House, is dreadful which is too bad b/c bonobo's are cool but the book is awful. I can't wait to see the movie of Water for Elephants.

This is good to know. I enjoyed Water for Elephants and since Ape House is now an affordable paperback I thought I would read it...maybe not...

I just finished The Hunger Games Trilogy and just started To Kill a Mockingbird. I decided that I would read some classics this year, interspersed with the trade fiction.
  • csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    guitar59 wrote:
    Water for Elephants

That's the only one of hers that's really good. Her latest, Ape House, is dreadful which is too bad b/c bonobo's are cool but the book is awful. I can't wait to see the movie of Water for Elephants.

This is good to know. I enjoyed Water for Elephants and since Ape House is now an affordable paperback I thought I would read it...maybe not...

I just finished The Hunger Games Trilogy and just started To Kill a Mockingbird. I decided that I would read some classics this year, interspersed with the trade fiction.

LOVED Water For Elephants. I saw the movie last week. Not a bad adaptation from a book. I am usually very disappointed in movies made from books, but this was pretty good.

I read Ape House and have to agree, not good. If you want to read a really interesting book on bonobos, which are fascinating animals, read Bonobo Handshake by Vanessa Woods. It's non-fiction and and a really great book.

I just finished reading Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese. Wonderful story.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996

Did you cry all the way through it? I just finished it about a month ago.

I would highly recommend - just finished reading the third volume of Edmund Morris's Teddy Roosevelt biography and it was fantastic. He is a little too in love with his own writing, but that's okay. All 3 books are great.
    Enkidu wrote:

There were parts that were pretty emotional. It was actually my second time reading it. Read it again for Book Group. I never wanted the book to end. Just fantastic writing. :)
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    csblake111 wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

There were parts that were pretty emotional. It was actually my second time reading it. Read it again for Book Group. I never wanted the book to end. Just fantastic writing. :)

His other book about working as a doctor somewhere in the south with AIDs patients is supposed to be amazing. My Own Country. I haven't read that though.
    Enkidu wrote:

His other book about working as a doctor somewhere in the south with AIDs patients is supposed to be amazing. My Own Country. I haven't read that though.

I've heard really great things about that book too. I need to add it to my ever-expanding "to read" list. :)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I was about to start a book thread but good thing I looked first.

On Tuesday, I bought all three of John Lennon's books that he wrote. In His Own Write and A Spaniard In the Works are put together as a reissue for what would have been his 70th birthday. I already read In His Own Write and started the second one. I also bought his other book that he was writing during his five year break, Skywriting By Word of Mouth. I've been wanting to read his books and now that I have started to read them, he had his own style of writing. You can tell he was having fun when he was writing his books.

I'm looking to read Kerouac this summer. I read On the Road a while ago but I'm going to read it again and then look for more of his books when I'm done.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Edward Said - Orientalism
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu wrote:
    I've read My Own Country and it's excellent. Good writing and good story. He was working in a small rural community when the epidemic was just taking hold. It was especially meaningful to me because I'd worked at an AIDS service organization but the writing and story are so compelling, you don't need any kind of background to enjoy it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

very good
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power

51qFNuOWdOL._SL500_AA300_-1.jpg
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I picked up a battered copy on holiday last week that had been left by someone.

Royal Flash - George Macdonald Fraser.
    I was laughing after 3 pages.

I think I'll have to read the other 11 Flashman books.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion by David Icke
    The Elementary Particles - Michel Houellebecq
  • cats craddle by kurt vonnegut, love his books
    Keep on Jammin' in the Free World!

Stockholm '00 ~~ Columbus '03 ~~ NYC-1 '03 ~~ Boston '04 ~~ Borgata'05 ~~ Cincinnati '06 ~~ Hawaii-2 '06 ~~ Bonnaroo '08 ~~ Chicago-1 '09 ~~ Philly-3&4 '09 ~~ Columbus '10 ~~ Dublin '10 ~~ Belfast '10 ~~ London '10 ~~ Berlin '10