What book are you reading?

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    smarchee wrote:
    Stephen King - Full Dark, No Stars

1922, the first of the 4 stories, was fucked

I enjoyed that book a lot but it made me feel dirty after finishing it. The third story is more lighthearted (but still dark). The last one made me want to take a bath.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    vant0037 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The Shining

WAAAAAAY better than the movie. There's a bit of a split between Kubrick and King over the treatment of the novel by Kubrick. The book is soooooo much scarier...

Yeah, I think King wasn't happy because Nicholson seems crazy from the beginning instead of actually watching his descent into madness. I think King is not allowed to bad mouth the movie based on an agreement with him and Kubrick.
    vant0037 wrote:
    "By Night In Chile" by Roberto Bolano

If you've never read Roberto Bolano, do so now. He died a few years ago and we lost a true genius. Start with "The Savage Detectives" and then read "2666." Awesome, awesome books...

I've thought about picking up 2666 but have hesitated because it has 4 billion pages.

Right now, I'm re-reading "Hearts In Atlantis" by King.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,108
    rrivers wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

If you've never read Roberto Bolano, do so now. He died a few years ago and we lost a true genius. Start with "The Savage Detectives" and then read "2666." Awesome, awesome books...

I've thought about picking up 2666 but have hesitated because it has 4 billion pages.

"2666" is definitely long, but once you get into Bolano's style, its an absolutely phenomenal book.

I haven't read "Hearts In Atlantis" but I own it. I love Stephen King, so I tend to pick up his books for cheap at used books stores and "Hearts" is on the list to read. Anything by King is usually a safe pick.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    I'm reading So You Wanna be A Rock 'n Roll Star by Jacob Slichter drummer for Semisonic, it is the worst tour book I've ever read. Anyone remember them? They did absolutely nothing. They're a 1 hit wonder from the mid-late 90s that sounded like every other 1 hit wonder from the mid-late 90s such as Fastball and Eve6 and Harvey Danger. Luckily it was a library donation and it's going back to the library donation shelf after I'm done with it :)
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    2/3 done with Neil Gaiman's American Gods
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I'm reading So You Wanna be A Rock 'n Roll Star by Jacob Slichter drummer for Semisonic, it is the worst tour book I've ever read. Anyone remember them? They did absolutely nothing. They're a 1 hit wonder from the mid-late 90s that sounded like every other 1 hit wonder from the mid-late 90s such as Fastball and Eve6 and Harvey Danger. Luckily it was a library donation and it's going back to the library donation shelf after I'm done with it :)

That's the "Closing Time" band, right? I'm pretty sure they did a song called "For the Love of the Game" for the movie...wait for it..."For the Love of the Game". I'm the only one in the world who knows this. Yes, I have that soundtrack and, yes, I like the song. :oops:
    vant0037 wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    vant0037 wrote:

"2666" is definitely long, but once you get into Bolano's style, its an absolutely phenomenal book.

I haven't read "Hearts In Atlantis" but I own it. I love Stephen King, so I tend to pick up his books for cheap at used books stores and "Hearts" is on the list to read. Anything by King is usually a safe pick.

It's good. I read it when it came out and remember it had me a little choked up at the end. I just finished "Lord of the Flies" and the part about having "a stick sharpened at both ends" reminded me that I had seen it in a King book. I checked my Stephen King bookshelf and saw it was "Hearts in Atlantis" and here we are.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    rrivers wrote:

That's the "Closing Time" band, right? I'm pretty sure they did a song called "For the Love of the Game" for the movie...wait for it..."For the Love of the Game". I'm the only one in the world who knows this. Yes, I have that soundtrack and, yes, I like the song. :oops:

Yeah that's them. To be completely honest the only reason I picked it up was b/c of the possible PJ mention :roll: It makes sense that they were on that soundtrack b/c they were signed by MCA and they put out the disc.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    youngster wrote:
    A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn
    I can't believe that is still on my list. I have been wanting to read it for a long time. Some day i will find time to catch up on my list and get to this book!
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    The Measure of Paris - Stephen Scobie
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    aNiMaL wrote:
    youngster wrote:
    A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn
    I can't believe that is still on my list. I have been wanting to read it for a long time. Some day i will find time to catch up on my list and get to this book!

Same, I got it for Christmas and keep putting it off
    32 shows and counting...
  • American Heritage - New History of the Civil War - Bruce Catton.

Having only the briefest knowledge of this, I thought I'd educate myself a little more. It's one of those books where every illustration is accompanied with a detailed description and lots of additional information so it's pretty heavy going.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    This is the one I've been reading recently, but was kind of disappointed.

9780385521383.jpg

It gave me the impression that not every chapter was written with the same care and attention. I loved the first ones set during New York's very beginning at the time of the Dutch settlement, the Indians and the subsequent happenings during the Civil War but I lost interest after a while.
    I was attracted by the whole concept of the book, though.
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I have a stack of about 40 books that I need/want to tackle soon. Currently reading This All Encompassing Trip as well as Under the Dome. Next in the list is 2666 and East of Eden.

I always have ambitious goals for my reading, but can't seem to find the time!
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    intodeep wrote:
    2/3 done with Neil Gaiman's American Gods

How do you like it? It is next on my list. My girlfriend loves Neil Gaiman, and I have never read a book by him, going to start his Sandman graphic novel series as well.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,985
    just read

Broken, A love Story

Lisa Jones

Good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Broken-ebook/dp/B ... 44&sr=8-29
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    I just finished Sammy Hagar's autobiography where he exposes the foolish antics that took place while he was in Van Halen, as well as his life before and after Van Halen. I actually went to one of Sammy's book signings and he was the nicest, coolest dude. It's a shame that Ed and Al are lunatics and wasted many years of making great rock music. I'm a huge Sammy fan, by the way.

Sammy wrote about the tour that he and Roth did back in 2002 and how Roth was a complete wreck during the tour and only played his old Van Halen covers, while Sammy played a few VH songs, but also did his solo work and Montrose tunes. Sammy mentioned how his merchandise outsold Roth's merch on that tour by 4 to 1. Sammy also found it amusing how Roth would never come on stage with Sammy to do any collaborations after Sammy had asked Roth over and over to do this.

* Sammy gives Eddie Vedder some quick props in the book. He also mentions Scott Weiland and how Weiland refused to let David Lee Roth come on stage to jam with Velvet Revolver at the Rock Hall of Fame ceremonies a few years ago when VH was inducted. (Only Sammy and Mike showed up to speak on behalf of VH that night because of how dysfunctional the brothers and Roth were behaving.)
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• PJSerf wrote:
    I have a stack of about 40 books that I need/want to tackle soon. Currently reading This All Encompassing Trip as well as Under the Dome. Next in the list is 2666 and East of Eden.

East of Eden is one of my all time favorites... have you read Steinbeck before? He's definitely in my top 5 authors. That one and Grapes of Wrath are legendary and he has plenty of other books that are fun or interesting like Cannery Row, The Pearl, In Dubious Battle, and of course - Of Mice and Men. I haven't read a book of his that I didn't enjoy immensely.

I'm having a tough time deciding what to read next but I'm leaning towards non-fiction. Has anyone ever read about Alred Korzybski or Benjamin Tucker? Or any other ideas on non-fiction works? I'm generally not a fan of biographies... looking for more of a work on a subject matter.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    PJSerf wrote:

East of Eden is one of my all time favorites... have you read Steinbeck before? He's definitely in my top 5 authors. That one and Grapes of Wrath are legendary and he has plenty of other books that are fun or interesting like Cannery Row, The Pearl, In Dubious Battle, and of course - Of Mice and Men. I haven't read a book of his that I didn't enjoy immensely.

I'm having a tough time deciding what to read next but I'm leaning towards non-fiction. Has anyone ever read about Alred Korzybski or Benjamin Tucker? Or any other ideas on non-fiction works? I'm generally not a fan of biographies... looking for more of a work on a subject matter.

I've read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men a long time ago in high school, would love to give them a re-read. I received Cannery Row as a xmas gift, and it is in my stack to read. Looking forward to getting into East of Eden first :D
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    PJSerf wrote:

Good non-fiction I've read lately:
    1. Home Team- Sean Payton (story of Payton coming to coach the Saints and their Super Bowl run.)
    2. 13 Things That Don't Make Sense- Michael Brooks (story about big science mysteries...a little heavy to read but really interesting)
    3. Not Without Hope- Nick Schuyler (story of the 2 NFL players and 2 ex-college players stuck in the Gulf of Mexico where three of them died. Nick is the only one who survived. Very quick, heartbreaking read. I think I read it in 2 days.)
    4. The Checklist Manifesto- Atul Gawande (about how checklists can improve healthcare with examples of how they work in other walks of life. Really good, but I love Gawande and have loved all his books.)
  • PJSerf wrote:
    I've read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men a long time ago in high school, would love to give them a re-read. I received Cannery Row as a xmas gift, and it is in my stack to read. Looking forward to getting into East of Eden first :D

Cannery Row is such a simple story and a short book but if you like Steinbeck... you'll love this book. He seems to have recurring themes throughout all of his books.

I might try 13 Things That Don't Make Sense. I'm definitely into science and anything that provides more wonder to the universe and make me think that "we don't know shit." :D Like a wise man said, "once you stop believing in magic, you start believing in dangerous things like business and government" - Tom Robbins, another fantastic author.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    PJSerf wrote:

Cannery Row is such a simple story and a short book but if you like Steinbeck... you'll love this book. He seems to have recurring themes throughout all of his books.

I might try 13 Things That Don't Make Sense. I'm definitely into science and anything that provides more wonder to the universe and make me think that "we don't know shit." :D Like a wise man said, "once you stop believing in magic, you start believing in dangerous things like business and government" - Tom Robbins, another fantastic author.

If I still had "13 Things.." I'd offer to send it to you, but I gave it to a friend. I totally had the "we don't know shit" feeling the whole time I was reading it.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Non-fiction is just about all I read. I'm not much for biographies either. What are you interested in?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I'm having a tough time deciding what to read next but I'm leaning towards non-fiction. Has anyone ever read about Alred Korzybski or Benjamin Tucker? Or any other ideas on non-fiction works? I'm generally not a fan of biographies... looking for more of a work on a subject matter.
    Non-fiction is just about all I read. I'm not much for biographies either. What are you interested in?

oh geez... I'm kind of a rare breed I guess;

anarchism, linguistics, philosophy, entheogens, writing, comedy, quantum physics, outdoor sports (kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, running), guitar and ukulele, farming, Carl Jung, sex, the early 90s sound, meditation, eastern religions, the I Ching, and "how to" books.

:D
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

oh geez... I'm kind of a rare breed I guess;

anarchism, linguistics, philosophy, entheogens, writing, comedy, quantum physics, outdoor sports (kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, running), guitar and ukulele, farming, Carl Jung, sex, the early 90s sound, meditation, eastern religions, the I Ching, and "how to" books.

:D
    Hm, I'm not seeing much there that matches my reading. :think:

I seem to lean more toward current events, historical analysis, and what I recently learned are called "social histories," although I'm not sure I completely understand that term. I'm big on understanding why events happen. I don't like pat explanations and I don't like conspiracy theories either. So you'll find me reading books about terrorists or events like Columbine. I'm not morbid, I just want to understand.

Two excellent books that I read during the past year that probably qualify as social histories are The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan (about the Dust Bowl in the 1930s) and Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn.

If you want some nonfiction suggestions, I'll once again plug librarything.com. It's free and when you list your books, there are always recommendations of similar books.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • The Tomb/F. Paul Wilson
    Maximum Ride/James Patterson
    Brimstone/Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (re-read)
    In Digitized Remorse
  • Just finished The 13th Tale and started Bloodroot.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    culture club - craig shuftan
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Chopper - From the inside
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014