The 2009 New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    no love for bernie? not in the starting line up, but def. a bench player in my book. actually, i might even DH him over donnie baseball as a starter.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,719
    no love for bernie? not in the starting line up, but def. a bench player in my book. actually, i might even DH him over donnie baseball as a starter.

Donnie and Bernie's stats are very similar. The biggest difference is in their Walk and K numbers. Bernie had a whole lot more of both.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Donnie and Bernie's stats are very similar. The biggest difference is in their Walk and K numbers. Bernie had a whole lot more of both.

yeah, push comes to shove i think the advantage goes to bernie. switch hitter, fast/smart baserunner, 4 time world series champion. the guy's name has to come up when you talk about all time great yankees. certainty the best yankee of my generation.

tough break for mattingly, he was stuck on the yanks during a very dark period for the franchise.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,786
    Had to cave in and get tix for game1 :mrgreen:

Gonna be an expensive week with 2 shows in Philly to follow, we only live once

GO YANKS
    CROJAM95 wrote:

GO YANKS

congrats! i dont even wanna ask how much you payed for those tickets!

i was eyeing them up myself, but i am moving back into the city in november. gotta save my pennies!
    CROJAM95 wrote:

GO YANKS

congrats! i dont even wanna ask how much you payed for those tickets!

i was eyeing them up myself, but i am moving back into the city in november. gotta save my pennies!

Thanks Dude

My Birthday is next Friday, so my Brother ate up some of the cost as a gift. We were gonna go by stub hub(they have service fees of $60+ per single ticket) on top of minimum $350 as of now :evil: wtf is that about. We went thru ebay, and got decent seats for around $300 a pc.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,925
    have fun y'all. :wave:

Not hating but, as a firefighter, I gotta tell you how offensive Guiliani is in that PD - NY - FD hat. I don't know how cops feel about him but firefighters DESPISE his ass. :thumbdown:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    have fun y'all. :wave:

Not hating but, as a firefighter, I gotta tell you how offensive Guiliani is in that PD - NY - FD hat. I don't know how cops feel about him but firefighters DESPISE his ass. :thumbdown:

Whats up Rob

I cant stand him myself. His boy Bernie Kerik is gonna do hard time, he should go to
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, push comes to shove i think the advantage goes to bernie. switch hitter, fast/smart baserunner, 4 time world series champion. the guy's name has to come up when you talk about all time great yankees. certainty the best yankee of my generation.

tough break for mattingly, he was stuck on the yanks during a very dark period for the franchise.

I think you both make a great point about bernie and i like him a lot, but i don't like him more then don mattingly for the team.

Reason- If you put bernie on the team it has three out fielders and no true backup at 1B in case lou goes down. Don gives you 9 gold gloves at 1b and compariable hitting stats to bernie. Good point about bernie being a switch hitter, but a fully healthy don mattingly to me is better then bernie williams ever was. Remember before Don got injuried he won a MVP award. Closest bernie ever got to an mvp was 7th in 1998 his best statistical year. Donnie finsihed in the top 5 three times including his win and his second place finish in back to back years.

Truthfully i wanted a back up first baseman and donnie is the best the yanks have outside of Lou. Plus he can play thrid if needed. I saw no need for 3 OF's with two CF already on the team. So Bernie would have to beat out Keller or REggie to make the team. Keller like Mattingly was a victom of injuries and the stats he could have amassed could have been amazing. In retrospect thanks to your criticisim i probably think i should have Keller in the starting line up now over Donnie.

Truthfully i'm not sure if i wouldn't want earle combs on the team before bernie though. If i was taking another CF that would be a tough choice

I think it speaks volumes to the teams history that a great player like bernie doesn't make the team.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    i am very jealous of all of you all who will be able to make the games!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

I think you both make a great point about bernie and i like him a lot, but i don't like him more then don mattingly for the team.

Reason- If you put bernie on the team it has three out fielders and no true backup at 1B in case lou goes down. Don gives you 9 gold gloves at 1b and compariable hitting stats to bernie. Good point about bernie being a switch hitter, but a fully healthy don mattingly to me is better then bernie williams ever was. Remember before Don got injuried he won a MVP award. Closest bernie ever got to an mvp was 7th in 1998 his best statistical year. Donnie finsihed in the top 5 three times including his win and his second place finish in back to back years.

Truthfully i wanted a back up first baseman and donnie is the best the yanks have outside of Lou. Plus he can play thrid if needed. I saw no need for 3 OF's with two CF already on the team. So Bernie would have to beat out Keller or REggie to make the team. Keller like Mattingly was a victom of injuries and the stats he could have amassed could have been amazing. In retrospect thanks to your criticisim i probably think i should have Keller in the starting line up now over Donnie.

Truthfully i'm not sure if i wouldn't want earle combs on the team before bernie though. If i was taking another CF that would be a tough choice

I think it speaks volumes to the teams history that a great player like bernie doesn't make the team.

I think you did a great job on the team. It is almost impossible to pick between Combs/Bernie/Mattingly. If push came to shove, I would probably put Matthingly over Bernie as well but I really don't know.
    offically getting pedro for game 2:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/ ... id=4598313

the stadium is going to be allll over him.
    offically getting pedro for game 2:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/ ... id=4598313

the stadium is going to be allll over him.

Agreed, but Pedro feeds on that. I hope the yankee bats are all over him.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    1097752498_0821.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    just remember, Pedro did get the last laugh in 2004.

But it'll be interesting to see this play out. Has he pitched in the Stadium since 2004? With the Mets?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    just remember, Pedro did get the last laugh in 2004.

But it'll be interesting to see this play out. Has he pitched in the Stadium since 2004? With the Mets?

in '04... wasn't he brought into game 7 in the later innings and the yanks got a few runs off him?

this is his first appearance both in this stadium and against this lineup.
    The Red Sox won, that's the last laugh.

So, it's been 5 years since they've faced him, he's a different pitcher now, that's for sure.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

So, it's been 5 years since they've faced him, he's a different pitcher now, that's for sure.

Agreed on both accounts. Yanks have always had some success against him in the playoffs though and this is one hell of a lineup. It is going to be tough for him to get through it the second time around.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Agreed on both accounts. Yanks have always had some success against him in the playoffs though and this is one hell of a lineup. It is going to be tough for him to get through it the second time around.

it's going to be tough for anyone to get through either of these lineups. S-T-A-C-K-E-D

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    so no Matsui in Philly ?
    Dont know how we will miss his bat.
    Has he even been real productive ?
    i know he had some clutch hits against the Angels.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    so no Matsui in Philly ?
    Dont know how we will miss his bat.
    Has he even been real productive ?
    i know he had some clutch hits against the Angels.

i will miss matsui's weak ground balls to first base.

bold, but i think it would be smart to start gardner in right field over swisher for the games in philly. with AL pitchers batting, the yanks sound try and utilize his speed on the bases and have the pitchers lay down sac bunts and what not (have gardner bat 8th). try and get some small ball production out of your 8th and 9th hitters in an NL park.
    They will be fine without his bat in Philly
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Francessa on the WFAN had Girardi earlier

he said the first 3 game starters ( CC , AJ, Pettitte )
    thats about it.

he hadnt spoken to George by telephone yet ,
    which is sad because that could only probably mean he is is unable to do so.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:

thats about it.

LoHud said Guadin is throwing a 70-80 pitch bullpen this afternoon but that Eiland didn't rule out a 3 man rotation either.

At least George is going to be there tomorrow.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

thats about it.

LoHud said Guadin is throwing a 70-80 pitch bullpen this afternoon but that Eiland didn't rule out a 3 man rotation either.

At least George is going to be there tomorrow.

He looked in pretty bad shape at last years all star game. Glad he'll be there
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Hinske might be in the lineup. And Freddy Guzman will be out.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Hinske might be in the lineup. And Freddy Guzman will be out.

Yeah, Hinske was added and Guzman is out. A good idea, a decent pinch hitter is definitely more important than another pinch runner in the NL park.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Go Yankees. I won't be able to watch game 1. As I will be at the concert.
    I miss igotid88
    Very much looking forward to tonight. I REALLY hope CC can dominate and set the pace for the rest of the series.

I'm sure Giradi will decide if he wants to pitch CC on short rest depending on how the series looks.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Let's Rock!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra