~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    My dog is a bad dog...

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890

Does anyone have a fox terrier? Getting one as a foster dog tomorrow and have no experience of the breed

our aussie plays with one.....they seem like a cool breed....plus, they don't shed! :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    edited December 2015
    New foster doggie Nixon just pissed on the Christmas tree, oh dear
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Aw, he probably doesn't know any better. Is he otherwise OK there with you?

Good luck :)
  • hedonist said:

Aw, he probably doesn't know any better. Is he otherwise OK there with you?

Good luck :)

Too soon to tell, he's happily sleeping at my feet right now but the big test will be tonight when we go to bed and leave him in the kitchen!
  • Ok any tips on stopping the dog scratching the kitchen door to bits when we leave him alone? I had to give in and take him up to my room last night but I got hardly any sleep and it's not a habit I want to encourage. Also my mother needs to be able to leave the house during the day without fearing what she'll come back to!

It took me ages to talk my mother into accepting a foster dog and I'm worried she'll decide it's too much trouble :(
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736

Ok any tips on stopping the dog scratching the kitchen door to bits when we leave him alone? I had to give in and take him up to my room last night but I got hardly any sleep and it's not a habit I want to encourage. Also my mother needs to be able to leave the house during the day without fearing what she'll come back to!

It took me ages to talk my mother into accepting a foster dog and I'm worried she'll decide it's too much trouble :(

perhaps a kenel would work.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

JWPearl said:

Hi

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Scout says it's time to get new curtains.

up up and away

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

RKCNDY said:

My dog is a bad dog...

inhiding

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• PJ_ROCKS said:

Ok any tips on stopping the dog scratching the kitchen door to bits when we leave him alone? I had to give in and take him up to my room last night but I got hardly any sleep and it's not a habit I want to encourage. Also my mother needs to be able to leave the house during the day without fearing what she'll come back to!

perhaps a kenel would work.
    Yeah I think I may go buy a crate tonight, lot of expense for a foster dog but I'm pretty desperate
  • Crates are very helpful, especially for a new dog who is probably confused and insecure. Crates provide them with a safe place. :dog:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Crates are very helpful, especially for a new dog who is probably confused and insecure. Crates provide them with a safe place. :dog:

indeed they do !

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

snow today

photo 20151214_102329-1_zps7tpqffb8.jpg

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS said:

snow today

photo 20151214_102329-1_zps7tpqffb8.jpg

Hi spotty dog!

When is it not snowing in Montana? :)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Turn around, bright eyes :whistle:

Adorable! What a happy pup.
  • PJ_ROCKS said:
    I love how dogs will try to bite water. :smile:
    PJ_ROCKS said:
    That's OK, puppy dog, I like my bed to be just right too. :wink:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Crates are very helpful, especially for a new dog who is probably confused and insecure. Crates provide them with a safe place. :dog:

Got the crate now and he's happily curled up in it with the door open right now. Suspect he'll still go mad once I leave the room but baby steps I guess!

Crates are very helpful, especially for a new dog who is probably confused and insecure. Crates provide them with a safe place. :dog:

Got the crate now and he's happily curled up in it with the door open right now. Suspect he'll still go mad once I leave the room but baby steps I guess!
    You can try shutting the door and leaving the room for 5 minutes, when he stays quiet, come back in and say "good boy!" Give him a treat or lots of scratches and pets. Next day try 10 minutes, and keep increasing the time. He will get used to it.

- Christopher McCandless
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I was always anti-crate until Lisa and we tried it and she loved it. It was sort of her spot.

I found this old photo - that lump under the pad is Lisa. You can just see her paws.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    ^^^^ hahaha! after a short period of time, Piper became fine with going into her crate. Letting a puppy roam your house is a recipe for disaster.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RKCNDY said:

You can try shutting the door and leaving the room for 5 minutes, when he stays quiet, come back in and say "good boy!" Give him a treat or lots of scratches and pets. Next day try 10 minutes, and keep increasing the time. He will get used to it.
    Well I'm at work all day so that's my poor mother's job I guess! I got about an hour of sleep last night as I decided not to resort to bringing him up to my room. So he was left in the kitchen and spent the whole night whining and scratching the (now wrecked) door. So things aren't going too well...

RKCNDY said:

Well I'm at work all day so that's my poor mother's job I guess! I got about an hour of sleep last night as I decided not to resort to bringing him up to my room. So he was left in the kitchen and spent the whole night whining and scratching the (now wrecked) door. So things aren't going too well...
    Is there any way you can keep his kennel in your room? Dogs are pack animals and like being with their humans (i realize some people don't allow dogs in the bed)...they don't like being by themselves when they know people are home.

It's not easy, but keep telling yourself you are helping a dog nobody else wanted. :)

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Is there any way you can keep his kennel in your room? Dogs are pack animals and like being with their humans (i realize some people don't allow dogs in the bed)...they don't like being by themselves when they know people are home.

It's not easy, but keep telling yourself you are helping a dog nobody else wanted. :)
    I could bring him up to my room but I don't think it's a habit he should get into, not to mention the fact that it'd be a real pain in the arse having to drag it up and down the stairs every day :p

All the other dogs we fostered settled ok in the kitchen so I'm really hoping he will too. We've discovered that we can put the clothes horse in front of the kitchen door to stop him scratching it (a bit late now!) so I guess that's something. I'm a light sleeper though so unfortunately the whining is enough to keep me up all night

By the way I put a hot water bottle in the cage last night, along with a teddy and a kong filled with chicken. None of that seemed to keep him occupied!

that is awesome! he will feel safe in there.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

RKCNDY said:

she knows her shit! exactly what i would say.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

edited December 2015
    Enkidu said:

I was always anti-crate until Lisa and we tried it and she loved it. It was sort of her spot.

I found this old photo - that lump under the pad is Lisa. You can just see her paws.

My first dalmation Trix, rip

i thought the same thing about a kenel/crate, but i was assured that they feel safe inside and it is a place for them to go when they get nervous...and she loves it now, i grab my keys and she goes right in.she is such a good girl, how did i get blessed with her

Just don't practice putting them in there in they are bad, they will get the wrong idea and not want to go in there.
    Post edited by PJ_ROCKS on

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2