~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Lots of rehab babies in (4 squirrels & 1 Chipmunk) and Monty isn't trying to eat them like someone else we all knew well and loved! :?
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    Another gift came in the mail today, Petey was so well loved in the Dobe community.

DSC05202.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    Another gift came in the mail today, Petey was so well loved in the Dobe community.

DSC05202.jpg
    Somebody made me a poster of this with a drawing of the boys and me crossing the bridge, I cried so hard..It's still packed up and goes with all my rock posters when I get my own place.. it's such a lovely poem.. and was obviously written by someone who loved their doggie..
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    some of you may know...I have rectal cancer and just came home from the hospital. I had to borrow a recliner because the doc said no direct pressure on your butt! so, the recliner is next to our bed. Gracie likes to lie on the bed and keep me company...

Photo0263.jpg

and, yeah, she looks pretty mopey here but she sure was fired up when she jumped on the bed this morning....direct hit to my man region :shock: . the little shit! :lol::mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    some of you may know...I have rectal cancer and just came home from the hospital. I had to borrow a recliner because the doc said no direct pressure on your butt! so, the recliner is next to our bed. Gracie likes to lie on the bed and keep me company...

Photo0263.jpg

and, yeah, she looks pretty mopey here but she sure was fired up when she jumped on the bed this morning....direct hit to my man region :shock: . the little shit! :lol::mrgreen:
    Doesn't exactly sound like a fair deal. Gracie gets the bed while Dad gets the chair!
    Then she adds insult to injury! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ok doggy peeps ive got a question:

when does a puppy cease being a puppy?

im doggysitting for 2 weeks and the supermarket confuses me.. is he a puppy or is he an adult dog... wheres the inbetweeny food?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ok doggy peeps ive got a question:

im doggysitting for 2 weeks and the supermarket confuses me.. is he a puppy or is he an adult dog... wheres the inbetweeny food?
    How old is said puppy dog?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

he's an adult dog
    norm wrote:

he's an adult dog

ok but if he grows up too quickly im coming for you norm. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

How old is said puppy dog?

he was born early last year.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ok but if he grows up too quickly im coming for you norm. ;)

:P :D

Here ya go hon.. a puppy is a puppy for the first year, a Whelp for the second year.. and a dog or bitch according to gender by the third..for small breeds you free feed puppy food for year one.. for large breeds you usually free feed puppy food for the first two years..some breeds however like Great Danes and Saints you only free feed the puppy food for the first year.. this also usually applies to most English bred Labradors.. after this period refer to the dog food's instructions for food/weight ratio feeding schedule.. now cut that in half and feed twice twice dailiy in the halves for large breeds three times split for small breeds.. good luck!!

Here ya go hon.. a puppy is a puppy for the first year, a Whelp for the second year.. and a dog or bitch according to gender by the third..for small breeds you free feed puppy food for year one.. for large breeds you usually free feed puppy food for the first two years..some breeds however like Great Danes and Saints you only free feed the puppy food for the first year.. this also usually applies to most English bred Labradors.. after this period refer to the dog food's instructions for food/weight ratio feeding schedule.. now cut that in half and feed twice twice dailiy in the halves for large breeds three times split for small breeds.. good luck!!
    well, there's our answer! :lol:

I will add that we started our previous dog on adult food too soon....she grew too fast and had elbow problems :cry: . about 1000 dollars worth!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    imalive wrote:

well, there's our answer! :lol:

I will add that we started our previous dog on adult food too soon....she grew too fast and had elbow problems :cry: . about 1000 dollars worth!

Same questions here, i have heard or been told with Dalmations, you feed puppy food for the first year, some people have said otherwise, so i am not sure. I will stick to 11 months feeding puppy food then start mixing in adult food in the 12th month. Like imalive, i fed my first pup adult food to soon. Just another one of my guilty feelings.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

thanks.

im dealing with an aussie bred labrador. they gotta be tougher than the english bred labs for sure. ;)
    he looks fully grown but then he does stupid shit and its like im dealing with a puppy. hes lovely though. dealing with kids is so much easier... you feed them what you eat but cut it up into tiny pieces. done! :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Your too funny.. do you mean the dog was BRED in Austrailia, because if so.. that matters not.. the reason you only free feed the English set Labs for one year is this.. they are shorter and stockier in stature than the American Bred Labs which tend to be MUCH MUCH larger and longer legged, with a slight amount more lank to them, and therefore the two year rule applies to them..the standard rule for LINGIE's ( the nick for English Labs) is if by six months, their legs are longer than their rib cage, you may feed the second year by the standard rule, same length or shorter, only six more months of free feeding.. why does it make a difference?? Because the fat/protien ratio in the puppy food, is not as easily burnt calorically by a shorter stockier dog, as they are by the longer legged lankier whelps, who are actually more active than their shorter relatives.. and there fore the shorter guys get fed less after the first year.. they also go to adult dog food at that point. I soooooooo want another doggie.. but have decided to wait til I can buy my own house again.

thanks.

im dealing with an aussie bred labrador. they gotta be tougher than the english bred labs for sure. ;)
    he looks fully grown but then he does stupid shit and its like im dealing with a puppy. hes lovely though. dealing with kids is so much easier... you feed them what you eat but cut it up into tiny pieces. done! :lol:
    Your too funny.. do you mean the dog was BRED in Austrailia, because if so.. that matters not.. the reason you only free feed the English set Labs for one year is this.. they are shorter and stockier in stature than the American Bred Labs which tend to be MUCH MUCH larger and longer legged, with a slight amount more lank to them, and therefore the two year rule applies to them..the standard rule for LINGIE's ( the nick for English Labs) is if by six months, their legs are longer than their rib cage, you may feed the second year by the standard rule, same length or shorter, only six more months of free feeding.. why does it make a difference?? Because the fat/protien ratio in the puppy food, is not as easily burnt calorically by a shorter stockier dog, as they are by the longer legged lankier whelps, who are actually more active than their shorter relatives.. and there fore the shorter guys get fed less after the first year.. they also go to adult dog food at that point. I soooooooo want another doggie.. but have decided to wait til I can buy my own house again.

he doesnt look lanky... i guess he must be english.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Your too funny.. do you mean the dog was BRED in Austrailia, because if so.. that matters not.. the reason you only free feed the English set Labs for one year is this.. they are shorter and stockier in stature than the American Bred Labs which tend to be MUCH MUCH larger and longer legged, with a slight amount more lank to them, and therefore the two year rule applies to them..the standard rule for LINGIE's ( the nick for English Labs) is if by six months, their legs are longer than their rib cage, you may feed the second year by the standard rule, same length or shorter, only six more months of free feeding.. why does it make a difference?? Because the fat/protien ratio in the puppy food, is not as easily burnt calorically by a shorter stockier dog, as they are by the longer legged lankier whelps, who are actually more active than their shorter relatives.. and there fore the shorter guys get fed less after the first year.. they also go to adult dog food at that point. I soooooooo want another doggie.. but have decided to wait til I can buy my own house again.

he doesnt look lanky... i guess he must be english.
    Can you post a pic? Whole body if possible?
  • My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    dealing with kids is so much easier...
    I seriously doubt that. dogs don't move back home when they're 30 :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

only cause theyre dead by then.

i just find having a pet a huge responsibility. not that kids arent but at least if you forget to feed the kids theyll rummage through the pantry and feed themselves... even if its just fruit loops.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • imalive wrote:

i just find having a pet a huge responsibility. not that kids arent but at least if you forget to feed the kids theyll rummage through the pantry and feed themselves... even if its just fruit loops.
    Actually dogs are worse at this trait.. they are not just limited to the pantry.. to a dog.. the trash is fair game too!!
    imalive wrote:

Actually dogs are worse at this trait.. they are not just limited to the pantry.. to a dog.. the trash is fair game too!!

this dog is an OUTSIDE dog. and our trash cans are wheelie bins.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Having 4 human children who are all just about adults(one in final year of HS, 2 in college, 1 out)......Monty is hands down much much easier then my sons! If dogs are given proper exercise and attention, they are the best companions and housemates. While my sons are messy, eat us out of house and home, and cost a lot more $$$$! Monty is clean, well behaved, only plays with his toys and eats a lot less!

As for when is a puppy an adult? Most male large breed dogs take a good 2-3 years to mature...if ever. My Monty is 18 months old tomorrow and I still call him my puppy. He is done growing upward, but is now packing on muscle mass. His brain is still immature, with male dobes until about the age of 3. Giving me the next 18 months to correct all the mistakes I've already made with him. :lol:

Monty is doing great, loving the loving, he will be the most spoiled dog on the face of this earth! He has been a bit sick there is a doggy virus going on around here. Scared the crap out of me...I can't handle another sick dog nor the vet bills!!

:cry: I still can't believe that my beautiful boy Petey is gone. Our lives feel so empty with out him. Losing 3 dogs in less then 5 years....has been hard. I wonder if I shouldn't ever get another after Monty...I have bad luck.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    :cry: I still can't believe that my beautiful boy Petey is gone. Our lives feel so empty with out him. Losing 3 dogs in less then 5 years....has been hard. I wonder if I shouldn't ever get another after Monty...I have bad luck.
    Hope Monty is recovering from his virus.

It's always so hard to lose our dogs but even with the pain, I think it's always good to welcome another dog into our lives. They never replace the ones lost but they still bring us so much joy and happiness.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I wasn't eating flowers. I swear. I didn't go near those flowers.

photo-12-1.jpg
    Enkidu wrote:

photo-12-1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

always love when norm has been out back for a while and i go to let him in and his snout is covered in dirt

"so norm, what have you been doing?" :twisted: :lol:
    Enkidu wrote:

photo-12-1.jpg

get back to your rehab, Brian Wilson!!!!

(lost on 99% of you, I know)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Enkidu wrote:

photo-12-1.jpg

That is so cute!