So I've got her a fleecy jumper!

101207_130025.jpg

:D
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Happy Holidays!

carol.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    So, my poor guy Zeke, who has pictures in this thread somewhere, has evidently been bit by a spider.

The bite got pretty swollen on Sunday, so yesterday morning I took him in to the vet and him and I both agreed that it was probably a insect/spider bite. Prescribed an anti-biotic and some rimadyl. When we're not home, Zeke has to hang out with one of those cones on his head to prevent him licking it.

I've never seen so much of a "please don't leave me" kind of look as I did this morning.

Broke my heart. :cry:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Love love love that Tat Sen!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Happy Holidays!

carol.jpg

Sooo lovely!! :D:D
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    So, my poor guy Zeke, who has pictures in this thread somewhere, has evidently been bit by a spider.

The bite got pretty swollen on Sunday, so yesterday morning I took him in to the vet and him and I both agreed that it was probably a insect/spider bite. Prescribed an anti-biotic and some rimadyl. When we're not home, Zeke has to hang out with one of those cones on his head to prevent him licking it.

I've never seen so much of a "please don't leave me" kind of look as I did this morning.

Many, MANY years ago, one of my shelties was bitten by a brown recluse spider. It was horrible how quickly the wound grew and became gangrenous. He had to have a large patch of flesh (about 5" in diameter) removed and strong doses of antibiotics and steroids. He recovered just fine and lived another 7 years, although his coat always looked a little funny from where the incision was. Spider bites are awful, nothing to mess around with.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    dcfaithful wrote:

Many, MANY years ago, one of my shelties was bitten by a brown recluse spider. It was horrible how quickly the wound grew and became gangrenous. He had to have a large patch of flesh (about 5" in diameter) removed and strong doses of antibiotics and steroids. He recovered just fine and lived another 7 years, although his coat always looked a little funny from where the incision was. Spider bites are awful, nothing to mess around with.

Yeah, we're taking this very seriously from the get-go. I've seen how bad those bites can get. Not sure what exactly bit him, but I'm not taking any chances. Don't want him to have to lose anything on this. I'm really hoping the antibiotics will clear it up.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Yeah, we're taking this very seriously from the get-go. I've seen how bad those bites can get. Not sure what exactly bit him, but I'm not taking any chances. Don't want him to have to lose anything on this. I'm really hoping the antibiotics will clear it up.
    What really shocked me at the time was how fast the wound spread. You could practically watch it! :shock:
    He was bitten on a Sunday and by Tuesday it was an open wound the size of a quarter, surrounded by a big area of black. I took him to the vet who took one look at him and said it was from a brown recluse spider.

Poor guy, he looked like he'd been in a war zone. He was sweet and brave through the whole thing. A couple of years later he survived a bout with cancer! He was my first sheltie and I've been hooked on them ever since.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    dcfaithful wrote:

That's so sad, hope he gets better soon.
  • well wishes Zeke! Keep us updated DC

Love the christmas card PJaddicted. I always wondered if it were acceptable for human-childless parents of doggies to send out christmas cards with their "children" on it. me likey 8-)

Sen - great tat! Love how you got creative and did more than just the pawprint, even though the paw print is what makes the tattoo
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• PJaddicted wrote:
    Happy Holidays!

carol.jpg
    AwESOME pic.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    What really shocked me at the time was how fast the wound spread. You could practically watch it! :shock:
    He was bitten on a Sunday and by Tuesday it was an open wound the size of a quarter, surrounded by a big area of black. I took him to the vet who took one look at him and said it was from a brown recluse spider.

Poor guy, he looked like he'd been in a war zone. He was sweet and brave through the whole thing. A couple of years later he survived a bout with cancer! He was my first sheltie and I've been hooked on them ever since.

Totally the same thing that happened. Actually Zeke got attacked by a dog that lives at our apt. complex and he was fine, but I noticed the spot on his leg...thought it was a bite, but then realized that there was no other puncture wound...I found it hard to believe that one tooth punctured his leg.

It looked just like a scab, so I wasn't concerned. Two days later (Sunday), it was red, discharging and swollen. I got really freaked out and worried, called the emergency vet for some advice. We held tough until yesterday morning when I took him to the vet first thing.

He's still terribly embarassed about the cone he has to wear on his head. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • My little dog Ruby is in my avatar! I'm so proud, she used to be scared to walk outside away from the house. Her previous owner never took her for walks and was an inside dog. But I was determined, so I tried every day... and we'd make a little bit of progress each time. End of the driveway,..then it was to the end of the street..and so forth. And now when I say the word 'walkies' she is gets excited, and now she loves it!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    DC, we just went through this with Sailor who had a hot spot on his head. Not nearly as potentially catastrophic as a spider bite, but still pretty uncomfortable for him and he wore the Cone Of Shame for 10 long days. And now we have to touch up all the doorways. (Go back a few pages in the thread and you'll see the photo.) Sounds like you got Zeke to the vet in plenty of time, hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick quickly. Give him a pat on the snout for me!

Claire, LOVE Molly's fleece coat! I have them for my three, I use one for Sweet Pea any time it's 50 or below. The Treeing Walker Coonhound is a southern breed, highly tolerant of hot temperatures, but no undercoat or fat on her to insulate her from the cold. She shakes from it, really dramatically shivering. Tessie has one too, she's also quite trim and gets chilly. And even Sailor, who like all Labs has a wonderful insulating downy undercoat _ but I make him wear the fleece when we're at trials and he's going out between runs. I worry about warming them up and cooling them down in the extreme cold. He always looks a little embarrassed, though...

PJA, what a great profile shot of the boys! I love seeing the side-by-side comparison of their ears, what a riot!

Sen, I didn't know you designed tattoos! I should have, looking at yours. We will have to consult! :lol: PM sent, and I won't ask questions... :shock:

And hello, little Ruby!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Poor Zeke! Dogs are so funny when they wear a cone...I have to keep a few on hand for my clumsy one. :lol:

PJA-what an awesome pic! Great job!

Claire-Molly is getting so BIG!

Ruby looks like a real sweetie!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    welcome ruby...more pics!
  • SENROCK wrote:
    norm wrote:
    and even if i could corral him, let's say i used an ink pad to get his print...next thing i know they'll be paws all over the place!! :shock: :lol:

i remember seeing a guy who had tattooed his kids feet from when they were born on his calves...i thought that was cool

I only have tattoos that are REALLY important to me (as you know), so I have Spydee's baby footprint tattooed on my ankle! :D Im a big fan of feet :oops: so I thought it was better to get his footprint than just his name. My nieces are jealous and ask me where THEIR foot is! :lol:

Unlost-if you need assistance with your design let me know. i am a tattoo designer! ;)

Thanks everybody for the wishes and kindness. If you guys remember, can you pm me your mailing addresses please? DONT ASK QUESTIONS!!! 8-)
    You want MY mailing addy too?
    Zeke...

163001_1546671825583_1198671840_31259858_2282291_n.jpg
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

"Anytime you want to take this off me, Dad. I'll be here, just waiting. Expectantly."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

"Anytime you want to take this off me, Dad. I'll be here, just waiting. Expectantly."

hahaha, I know right? I try to take it off for about a half hour when I get home...but he usually ends up licking his bite. :x
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

awwwwwwwwww... haha, once again, the cone of shame!! takes over another message pit doggie!!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

come borrow our Comfy Cone if you would like. only a sadist would subject their pooch to the plastic. ;):lol:

hope zeke is doing better!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

come borrow our Comfy Cone if you would like. only a sadist would subject their pooch to the plastic. ;):lol:

hope zeke is doing better!

:lol::lol:

That cone is kind of a pain in the ass.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Zeke...

:lol: poor guy he looks so pitiful! We used to call them 'party hats' so owners would just laugh. Waldo hated his so I bought him one of these: http://www.bitenot.com/ he tolerated it better.

Get better Zeke!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Hi everyone....Petey had a a really rough 24 hours yesterday. We aren't sure what happened to him, and if he is going to be ok or not. He had some problems with his hind quarters falling over when trying to walk and his behavior looked like he was having mini seizures, he stood up for 7 hours straight staring at the floor, terrified to walk. It was as if he had severe vertigo. I took him to the vet and he was much more with it, but the behavior continued. The vet had never seen anything like it before, and we are concerned that it could be Wobblers Syndrome. Just what Petey needs....another genetic disease with no cure. :roll: Poor guy. Best dog in the world with the worst health. He is 100% today...he had a shot of steroids yesterday. That will wear off in another day or so...and we will then see if the problem continues. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers...he is my heart dog. Today is 1 year ago that he was diagnosed with DCM and up until yesterday...he was having a great life. Monty is 9 months old today and a total....PITA!!!!! :lol: What did I expect??

DSC03890.jpg
    DSC03886.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Hi everyone....Petey had a a really rough 24 hours yesterday. We aren't sure what happened to him, and if he is going to be ok or not. He had some problems with his hind quarters falling over when trying to walk and his behavior looked like he was having mini seizures, he stood up for 7 hours straight staring at the floor, terrified to walk. It was as if he had severe vertigo. I took him to the vet and he was much more with it, but the behavior continued. The vet had never seen anything like it before, and we are concerned that it could be Wobblers Syndrome. Just what Petey needs....another genetic disease with no cure. :roll: Poor guy. Best dog in the world with the worst health. He is 100% today...he had a shot of steroids yesterday. That will wear off in another day or so...and we will then see if the problem continues. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers...he is my heart dog. Today is 1 year ago that he was diagnosed with DCM and up until yesterday...he was having a great life. Monty is 9 months old today and a total....PITA!!!!! :lol: What did I expect??

DSC03890.jpg
    DSC03886.jpg

Poor Petey!! Hope he's OK. We'll be thinking of him. Nice Pics. Monty has to be a trouble maker. He looks like too much of a sweety in that pic. Dogowners know that look!!! :mrgreen:
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • :(
    So sorry you're feeling poorly, Petey.
    Sending lots of good vibes your way! :wave:
    Oh, Petey, please be well big buddy. We're all pulling for you...
    (((hug)))
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    petey's a rock star...he's gonna shake this off!

hang in there petey! :mrgreen: