~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Definitely the fast for 24 then small meals of boiled white rice. I've always mixed it with equal parts of boiled ground beef with good effect.

I hope she feels better!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Definitely the fast for 24 then small meals of boiled white rice. I've always mixed it with equal parts of boiled ground beef with good effect.

I hope she feels better!
    Thanks...
    I hope so for everyones sake.
    When she barks to go out i hafto sprint downstairs yelling "DON'T POO I'M COMING DON'T POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886
    haffajappa wrote:
    We thought it might be a UTI as well..
    Well on thursday i came home to a giant "#2", which didn't look healthy at all.
    Then last night we came home and found another runny one, and a RIVER of pee... like i'm not kidding guys, it went from one wall to another.

AND THEN
    today we went downtown and we were walking along the street in Gastown (a very touristy area of vancouver) and she got the runs bad, and left a trail all along the sidewalk i was so embarassed... Like we couldnt even pick it up... so gross... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I read on the internet to fast her for 24 hours then give her small portions of boiled chicken and rice so that's what we're going to do I think...
    ...and my opinion is probably even less professional then unlost dogs' :lol: , but these sound kind of like gracie's symptoms. a limited ingredient diet fixed her right up. I remember when a LID would do me right, too ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    So my nephew thought his dog Charlie would be more comfortable if he had a nice big pillow to sleep on while the nephew was at work.

Sounds like a good idea, right?

But of course, as we all know, sometimes the best intentions can result in unexpected outcomes.

Such as...

photo-11.jpg

You have to love his expression.

I absolutly love his expression!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    photo-11.jpg

You have to love his expression.

Hilarious! It looks like defiance to me...

"How can it be so wrong if it feels so right?" :lol:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    I remember when a LID would do me right, too ;)
    Aren't you showing your age? Does anybody still call it a lid? :P

(possibly showing my age for knowing what you're talking about :oops: )
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    imalive wrote:

I wasn't sure about that :? . how about the "four finger lid"? :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Hmmmm lids......
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Oh my yes. I remember well. :lol:
    what the heck is a lid? :?
    haffajappa wrote:
    An ounce of weed. A "four finger lid" was a nice fat leafy one. :thumbup:
    We're talking 60s, 70s speak here, when something like that was "far out."
    Not that imalive or I would know anything about that. . . . :shifty: :shh: :P ;)
    haffajappa wrote:
    Not that imalive or I would know anything about that. . . . :shifty: :shh: :P ;)
    Ah, maybe just cause I'm in Canada... we don't use ounces ;) LOL
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    haffajappa wrote:

Thanks for the laugh! i needed it!!!

back to the puppies, how are the puppies doing???

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

So I switched everybody's food from Solid Gold bison to Merrick wildnerness, which means a protein addition (salmon). The local pet store had a lot of trouble with the Solid Gold vendor and they kept having interruptions in delivery, so I figured I'd better change since we were in danger of running out several times. And experience has taught me that it's never a good idea to cold-turkey change foods... especially when the dogs are traveling so much with me.

At any rate, Sailor the sunshine Labrador started getting itchy and his belly was bright pink. So I switched him back, but he kept being itchy, belly stayed bright pink. And he was actually scratching himself. So off we go to see Dr. Tom, our most wonderful vet, because I'm worried about an allergic reaction.

Dr. Tom takes one look, parts the fur at his tail, and says, "He's got fleas!" I go :o and peer at the spot. Buried beneath the thick, downy undercoat at the base of his tail are fleas. I think I saw a tiki bar, and I'm quite sure they were dancing in a conga line.

I was mortified beyond belief. I've had dogs for 15 years, never once have we had a flea. Only twice have we had ticks. I've never used Frontline or anything like that, except years ago when we went to Martha's Vineyard.

I almost cried. I felt so bad, here poor Sailor was being driven to distraction by that itching, and it never even occurred to me to look for fleas. I had absolutely no experience with them.

But now I do. Dr. Tom gave me a thorough education, even showed me an index card with fleas fixed in various states of development. We made a plan that involved Capstar for all three dogs, to immediately kill any adult fleas on them. (He said we have to assume all three were infested, or would be eventually.) Then all three had thorough baths, fine-toothed combing, and application of Frontline Plus.

Then Phase II started: The Environment. We have hardwood floors and a couple of scatter rugs. One section of old carpeting in the upstairs hall. Everything was saturated with Sentry, vacuumed, all the couch slipcovers, bed linens and dog beds were laundered, including the ones that are in my Element.

The night of the Frontline application Tessie woke me up two or three times scratching herself. Apparently Frontline can agitate the fleas before they die, so I guess that's what was bothering her. Poor girl.

Last night everyone slept soundly. Sailor's skin still seemed a bit pink, I put on some Aloe Vera and hopefully it will quiet down.

Needless to say we'll be on Frontline from here on. I found out later that a few of the dogs at one of the recent agility trials in New Hampshire had been found to have fleas and ticks on them. I guess it must be the season.

So, are you itchy now or what? ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I think I saw a tiki bar, and I'm quite sure they were dancing in a conga line.

:lol::lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    fleas are nasty disgusting creatures...and the eggs can lay dormant in your carpet and hatch at a later date for up to one year!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    fleas are nasty disgusting creatures...and the eggs can lay dormant in your carpet and hatch at a later date for up to one year!

:cry:
    4and20 wrote:

No worries unlost, you can use Fleabusters for your house....or just regular old borax. sprinkle into carpet, under baseboards on hardwoods, in the couch etc, let it sit for like an hour, then vacuum it all up...the borax dries out the eggs and larve. Safer for the pups than flea bombing the house. :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    4and20 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

No worries unlost, you can use Fleabusters for your house....or just regular old borax. sprinkle into carpet, under baseboards on hardwoods, in the couch etc, let it sit for like an hour, then vacuum it all up...the borax dries out the eggs and larve. Safer for the pups than flea bombing the house. :D

really? that's good to know :)
    norm wrote:

yes, obviously keep the pups out of the room you are treating, but if you think about the fact that when you 'flea bomb' the chemicals have to sit for 3 hours and your dog's bed, the couch, carpet, walls etc absorb the toxins and then you live in it, sit in it, breathe it etc.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:

yes, obviously keep the pups out of the room you are treating, but if you think about the fact that when you 'flea bomb' the chemicals have to sit for 3 hours and your dog's bed, the couch, carpet, walls etc absorb the toxins and then you live in it, sit in it, breathe it etc.

Yuck. I didn't want to do a flea bomb if I could avoid it, I'll try your suggestion. I'm hoping we got them all, but I'm worried because there are cracks between the floorboards (they're over 100 years old) and I'm thinking the flea eggs may have fallen down there and... man, I cannot sleep at night worrying about this!!!
    4and20 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Yuck. I didn't want to do a flea bomb if I could avoid it, I'll try your suggestion. I'm hoping we got them all, but I'm worried because there are cracks between the floorboards (they're over 100 years old) and I'm thinking the flea eggs may have fallen down there and... man, I cannot sleep at night worrying about this!!!

http://www.fleabuster.com/

this is more finely milled than regular borax, like flour, so it will get thu the cracks between floorboards. If you buy this stuff, the ingredients will say something like 80% boric acid so you essentially paid $40 for 3# of borax...

also, fleas eggs are stimulated to hatch when carbon dioxide, vibration or heat is detected....so get the treatment done now before summer comes around...or before you start cranking up the heat inside.

from Wiki:
    Insecticidal

Boric acid was first registered in the US as an insecticide in 1948 for control of cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, silverfish, and many other insects.[15] It acts as a stomach poison affecting the insects' metabolism, and the dry powder is abrasive to the insects' exoskeleton.

Boric acid is generally considered to be safe to use in household kitchens to control cockroaches and ants. Homemade ant bait can be made by dissolving 1 teaspoon powdered boric acid and 10 teaspoons sugar into 2 cups (~ 500 mL) of water; this mixture can then be absorbed into cotton balls which are left near ant trails. This reportedly will be carried back into the ants' nest, killing any ants that eat it, potentially destroying the entire colony[16].

Boric acid is also made into a paste or gel form as a powerful and effective insecticide much safer to humans than many other insecticides. The paste or gel has attractants in it to attract insects. The boric acid slowly causes dehydration.[citation needed]

- Christopher McCandless
    Something to make you smile...keep clicking thru the story...you'll know when it ends ;)

http://www.cheerupemokid.net/comic/2010 ... dog-part-1

- Christopher McCandless
  • haffajappa wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    So sammi left another surprise lsat night... 2 actually.
    Then apparently she barked like 5 times to get out through out the night to go pee... :? :?

I'm a little worried, its not like her to have accidents like this, or have to be let out so often...
    Anyone had this happen before? :?: :?: :?:

Were both accidents urine? Or did she poop too?

Sweet Pea had a little episode like that not long ago when we were running a lot. I don't know how old she is, but at the time she was probably 10. I was worried that the running might have triggered some kind of renal dysfunction.

So based on my experience, which is not at all professional, the first thing I'd think of is a urinary tract infection. Then I'd look at how much water she's drinking. Being completely paranoid and just educated enough to be wrong about everything, I'd bring her to the vet and ask for a chemistry profile including a BUN and creatinine to check kidney function. Then your vet, like mine, will go :roll: and will dutifully run the tests which will come back astonishingly within normal limits, and the vet will say, "Don't let her tank up on water at night."
    We thought it might be a UTI as well..
    Well on thursday i came home to a giant "#2", which didn't look healthy at all.
    Then last night we came home and found another runny one, and a RIVER of pee... like i'm not kidding guys, it went from one wall to another.

AND THEN
    today we went downtown and we were walking along the street in Gastown (a very touristy area of vancouver) and she got the runs bad, and left a trail all along the sidewalk i was so embarassed... Like we couldnt even pick it up... so gross... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I read on the internet to fast her for 24 hours then give her small portions of boiled chicken and rice so that's what we're going to do I think...

Ok so here's a very important question.. were the runs gelatinous looking? did it look like she crapped jello almost? because if so in my experience those poops spell Parvo ( but if she had her shots she SHOULD be good against that, but I DO own that one cat that even though he'd had his shots he still got Distemper so..) or Colitis, which is an irritible bowl syndrome in dogs though humans get that too.. anyhow if it IS colitis a bland diet works best and seems to soothe the bowels..I hope Sammi gets better soon!!
  • I hope your doggie friend is ok soon..I hate being worried about my pets. Anyhow get well soon Sammi dog!!and SENROCK thanks for adding my boys to the list.. that made my day.
    sleeping in the sun :D

IMG_3051.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ok so here's a very important question.. were the runs gelatinous looking? did it look like she crapped jello almost? because if so in my experience those poops spell Parvo ( but if she had her shots she SHOULD be good against that, but I DO own that one cat that even though he'd had his shots he still got Distemper so..) or Colitis, which is an irritible bowl syndrome in dogs though humans get that too.. anyhow if it IS colitis a bland diet works best and seems to soothe the bowels..I hope Sammi gets better soon!!
    Thanks for your insight..
    I can't say that any looked gelatinous but one was very colourless, now that i think about it, and another was just very um, large... in quantity... and the third was as well...

She hasn't had anymore accidents so hopefully she's okay now, even though her stool could be a little healthier
    haffajappa wrote:
    Thanks for your insight..
    I can't say that any looked gelatinous but one was very colourless, now that i think about it, and another was just very um, large... in quantity... and the third was as well...

She hasn't had anymore accidents so hopefully she's okay now, even though her stool could be a little healthier

Well that's a relief! Give her a hug from me.
  • good to hear she's doing better poor doggie!!
    UUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    SHE TOOK A PISS IN MY ROOM THIS MORNING.
    :( :(

time to book a vet appt? :?