B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    even brian leetch broke his ankle

the man made his living on the ice

Then slipping on ice getting into / out of a nyc cab .

:eek:

That's bad luck :P
    Bob the Builder didn't want Souray fighting because he didn't want him injuring himself, which he did. Regardless of the injury I have a lot of respect for a guy who'll stand up when the captain is being run.
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    man I'd love to have him but I dont see how Souray fits in capwise and I thought he had already reached an agreement with the devils no?
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    stickboy wrote:
    man I'd love to have him but I dont see how Souray fits in capwise and I thought he had already reached an agreement with the devils no?

no money right now,,need to trade salary like malik to have a shot

see above article

devs?? i dont know what happend w/ that
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    what the fuck ?
    :confused:

Bulletin
    July 06, 2007
    Rangers Take Henrik to Arbitration
    Amid rumors that Henrik Lundqvist was closing on a long-term contract with the Rangers, the team today filed for club-elected arbitration with their star netminder. But John Dellapina reports in Blueshirts Blog that their rationale was to protect Lundqvist from being poached by an offer sheet from a rival team. This comes in the wake of Edmonton, one of the small market teams the CBA was supposed to protect, signing Thomas Vanek to an insane offer sheet that will pay him $10 million this year, $8 million next year, and $32 million over the subsequent five seasons.

Buffalo, another small market team the CBA was supposed to protect, having already lost Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, and Dainius Zubrus to free agency, announced that they will match the offer sheet rather than take four first round draft picks in compensation. That might not be their best possible move for Vanek, a first round draftee himself (fifth overall in 2003). The 23 year old Austrian winger scored 43 goals in his second season after topping 20 as a rookie. (For more on the Vanek situation, see here and here).

Edmonton's move breaks the taboo against long-term offer sheets and opens a huge can of worms for general managers. Previously, with the exception of one relatively minor move, GMs opted not to target RFAs, even when the compensation in terms of draft picks would have been considerably lower that the Vanek case. They also chose not to extend tactical offer sheets when a team was sure to match in the hopes of wreaking havoc with a rival's ability to build a better team due to cap limitations. While some accused them of collusion, they argued self-protection -- they didn't want to open themselves up to retaliation by playing that game.

Well, let it be known that it was the Oilers, not the Rangers, who opened this can of worms, and that it was the Flyers, not the Rangers, who caused salaries to jump through the rook with their offer to Briere. Of course, the next time the NHL wants to blame someone for escalating salaries, they will still blame the Rangers, as they did for the Joe Sakic offer sheet, even though it was the skinflint Blackhawks who first made that play when Keith Tkachuk was a Winnipeg RFA, and even though it was the skinflint Bruins who blew out the entry level salary cap with their Joe Thornton contract.

Finally, before we head into the weekend, we'd like to extend an offer one last time for the Blueshirt Bulletin cook-out on August 4th at the Connecticut home of Mitch Beck. We hope to have some special guests at the event for attendees to talk hockey with -- no announcements at this time, and no guarantees at this point either, but we're working on it. You must be a subscriber to attend. If you are interested, please contact us at Blueshirt@mindspring.com.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    what the fuck ?

Bulletin
    July 06, 2007
    Amid rumors that Henrik Lundqvist was closing on a long-term contract with the Rangers, the team today filed for club-elected arbitration with their star netminder. But John Dellapina reports in Blueshirts Blog that their rationale was to protect Lundqvist from being poached by an offer sheet from a rival team. This comes in the wake of Edmonton, one of the small market teams the CBA was supposed to protect, signing Thomas Vanek to an insane offer sheet that will pay him $10 million this year, $8 million next year, and $32 million over the subsequent five seasons.

Buffalo, another small market team the CBA was supposed to protect, having already lost Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, and Dainius Zubrus to free agency, announced that they will match the offer sheet rather than take four first round draft picks in compensation. That might not be their best possible move for Vanek, a first round draftee himself (fifth overall in 2003). The 23 year old Austrian winger scored 43 goals in his second season after topping 20 as a rookie. (For more on the Vanek situation, see here and here).

Edmonton's move breaks the taboo against long-term offer sheets and opens a huge can of worms for general managers. Previously, with the exception of one relatively minor move, GMs opted not to target RFAs, even when the compensation in terms of draft picks would have been considerably lower that the Vanek case. They also chose not to extend tactical offer sheets when a team was sure to match in the hopes of wreaking havoc with a rival's ability to build a better team due to cap limitations. While some accused them of collusion, they argued self-protection -- they didn't want to open themselves up to retaliation by playing that game.

Well, let it be known that it was the Oilers, not the Rangers, who opened this can of worms, and that it was the Flyers, not the Rangers, who caused salaries to jump through the rook with their offer to Briere. Of course, the next time the NHL wants to blame someone for escalating salaries, they will still blame the Rangers, as they did for the Joe Sakic offer sheet, even though it was the skinflint Blackhawks who first made that play when Keith Tkachuk was a Winnipeg RFA, and even though it was the skinflint Bruins who blew out the entry level salary cap with their Joe Thornton contract.

Finally, before we head into the weekend, we'd like to extend an offer one last time for the Blueshirt Bulletin cook-out on August 4th at the Connecticut home of Mitch Beck. We hope to have some special guests at the event for attendees to talk hockey with -- no announcements at this time, and no guarantees at this point either, but we're working on it. You must be a subscriber to attend. If you are interested, please contact us at Blueshirt@mindspring.com.

this scares me 2 years from now,, we might have problems
    I think thats why you wont see the Rangers trade Montoya just yet.
    Its crazy in a matter of a yr after the lockout the NHL goes back to its spending ways.

2010 we'll have another lockout :rolleyes:
    stickboy wrote:
    I think thats why you wont see the Rangers trade Montoya just yet.
    Its crazy in a matter of a yr after the lockout the NHL goes back to its spending ways.

2010 we'll have another lockout :rolleyes:

yup ur right
    Some 'D' can make dreams come true

Saturday, July 7, 2007

By TOM GULITTI
    STAFF WRITER

This has been a week for Rangers' fans to dream.

Sunday's free agent signings of centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury were a big score for the Blueshirts and instantly raised the expectations for 2007-08.

Ending the nine-year playoff drought in 2005-06 and pushing Buffalo in the second round this past season were enough to make almost everyone in Rangers' nation happy. After spending nearly $87 million on Gomez and Drury, however, they're thinking they've got as good a shot at the Stanley Cup as anyone in the Eastern Conference -- and they might be right.

Drury and Gomez both have winning track records and adding them to the mix with Jaromir Jagr and Brendan Shanahan -- assuming he re-signs -- gives the Rangers a stronger core of players who know what it takes to win four rounds in the spring.

Offensively, they should have a balanced top two lines that rival any in the league. There might be a small doubt as to whether Gomez will fit as well with Jagr as Michael Nylander, but Gomez is one of the best set-up men in the league and should flourish now that he's free of the Devils' defensive system.

In net, Henrik Lundqvist already has established himself as one of the best in the game. Getting him signed to a long-term deal is essential.

The big question mark that remains, however, is the Rangers' defense. It was their weakness again last season and, though Lundqvist was able to cover up for it on many nights, it came back to haunt them in the playoffs.

Rumors persist that general manager Glen Sather is pursuing Sheldon Souray. Finding the cap room and signing Souray certainly would help, particularly on the power-play point. He's not the kind of shutdown defenseman the Blueshirts are lacking, though.

Having Marc Staal -- their 2005 No. 1 pick -- fit in quickly in his first year as a pro would be a big boost, too, but Sather probably will have to go outside the organization to address this problem if the Stanley Cup dreams are to become a reality.
    platessmall.jpg
    Souray still remains unsigned?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    what the fuck ?

Amid rumors that Henrik Lundqvist was closing on a long-term contract with the Rangers, the team today filed for club-elected arbitration with their star netminder.].
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. that DP contract isnt looking so bad now isnt it rags fans
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

But John Dellapina reports in Blueshirts Blog that their rationale was to protect Lundqvist from being poached by an offer sheet from a rival team.
    so the DP contract still looks bad! :D

THAT CONTRACT WILL ALWAYS BE A JOKE

we had no choice read the articles
    now we can discuss during the season

canttake a chance on a ridiculous offer sheet by another team

besides we couldnt give him the money he deserves this year
    henry just needs to be patient
    post 7,000

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

signing a goalie to a 15 year contract was a fucking joke. one of the worst moves in professional sports history.

i actually feel bad for him... no one deserves to be on that shit team for that long.
    i know we have ( had ) little wiggle room capwise, so its purely a protective matter i suppose . they'll give him a longer term up the road,....

on a Bulletinsidenote:
    Larry Brooks has a lot to say about Kevin Lowe, none of it good, in his Sunday column in the Post, including a claim that Lowe raided Buffalo rather than the Rangers (for Henrik Lundqvist) because of his friendship with Glen Sather. Brooks also has an update on several player situations in a separate article, including the Rangers, because of their tight salary cap position, possibly going for a one-year arbitration award for Lundqvist in the $2.5 million range that they would have to make up for in subsequent years in a long-term contract. Sidearm Delivery has a translation from the original Russian of a Sport Express interview with Alexei Cherepanov. And Hockey's Future lists Ranger draftee David Skokan as the #3 Slovakian taken in the draft, but projects him as a long way from the NHL. Haven't heard back from the Rangers yet on Artem Anisimov's contract, but Brooks talks about him as if he's a certainty to be in training camp.
    platessmall.jpg
    signing a goalie to a 15 year contract was a fucking joke. one of the worst moves in professional sports history.

i actually feel bad for him... no one deserves to be on that shit team for that long.

that about sums it up
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    when's rick dipietro night at the coliseum...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    THAT CONTRACT WILL ALWAYS BE A JOKE
    yeah it will be a joke cause he will be the most underpaid #1 goaltender in the league for the next 14 years

hey he wanted to play here, he actually likes it here unlike that dickhead named smyth and the loser named blake

im really interested to see if the isles and rags play at the stadium this year.

yeah it will be a joke cause he will be the most underpaid #1 goaltender in the league for the next 14 years

u say 14 years like its a month

very few goalies play 20years let alone 20 good years

14 plus 5 or 6 he played =20 YEARS!!!!

LOL 14 MORE YEARS,, U CANT BE SERIOUS??
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    u say 14 years like its a month

very few goalies play 20years let alone 20 good years

14 plus 5 or 6 he played =20 YEARS!!!!

LOL 14 MORE YEARS,, U CANT BE SERIOUS??
    he will play 10 good years and probably be paid out the rest. wang is an ass and wont be the owner for much longer

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    he will play 10 good years and probably be paid out the rest. wang is an ass and wont be the owner for much longer

there is no way you can sell us on how the 15 year contract was a good deal.

he isn't even close to being the best goalie in the tri-state area.

goalies get injured frequently, you saw it last year when he got kneed in the head playing a puck he had no right playing. so what if he gets a serious injury in a few years that really put his career in limbo? the islanders have to eat the 10 years that are left on his contract? no one is going to want to sign a busted up goalie.
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i know we have ( had ) little wiggle room capwise, so its purely a protective matter i suppose . they'll give him a longer term up the road,....

on a Bulletinsidenote:

forgot to mention-

they can only come to arbitration once (in a career?) , so the Rangers pushed the limit on that now .
    platessmall.jpg
    there is no way you can sell us on how the 15 year contract was a good deal.

he isn't even close to being the best goalie in the tri-state area.

goalies get injured frequently, you saw it last year when he got kneed in the head playing a puck he had no right playing. so what if he gets a serious injury in a few years that really put his career in limbo? the islanders have to eat the 10 years that are left on his contract? no one is going to want to sign a busted up goalie.
    its a good deal business wise but not for the actually team. time will tell if he is, u gotta win the cup in this town to be the best and right now the only goalie that has done that is marty. when i mean paid out, i mean when he retires 10 years from now, hes gonna] retire from head injuries

Bathgate66 wrote:
    forgot to mention-

they can only come to arbitration once (in a career?) , so the Rangers pushed the limit on that now .

tis true

we need to just sign him long term this season
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    forgot to mention-

The team can only take the same player to arbitration once in their career?
  • I think only 1 team can take a player into arbitration.

Ex:
    Player goes to arbitration with the Rangers
    Traded to Toronto
    Player goes to arbitation with Toronto
    Traded back to Rangers
    Player cannot go to arbitation with the Rangers

I think thats how it is
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I think only 1 team can take a player into arbitration.

Ex:
    Player goes to arbitration with the Rangers
    Traded to Toronto
    Player goes to arbitation with Toronto
    Traded back to Rangers
    Player cannot go to arbitation with the Rangers

I think thats how it is

But you mean backwards, i.e. team takes player to arbitration, right?
    The same player can go to arbitration repeatedly with the same team (see Micheal Ryder, future trade bait).
    gotta love this team

raised my tickets 4 bucks a tick

and they want money by JULY 23RD!!!!!!!!!! LOL

guess were paying the contracts lol

i love em
    i was under the impression ( not the influence :) ) that it could only happen once between lundqvist and the rangers, and the rangers feared an offer sheet from a rival that they couldnt match , so they pulled the trigger on the arbitration.

anyhow,
    todays Bulletin

July 09, 2007
    Jagr Still Stuck in the Middle

Jaromir Jagr was asked by hokej.cz about new Ranger centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, specifically, which would be a better fit for him on his line. "I don't know, we’ll see," he said. "It looks good on paper but the reality on the ice is usually different. We may not click. And that would be a big problem." Jagr is as surprised as anyone, including Ranger management, that the team was able to sign both. "They were trying to sign as many centers as possible," he said. "To get at least one if the other one didn't [sign]. In the end, they got both and fit under the cap."

If he doesn't seem as enthusiastic as he should be about the splashy signings, it is because he remains disappointed about Michael Nylander leaving to sign with the Capitals. "It sure is a big loss for us," he said. "But this will become normal under the new NHL system. Players will test the market and clubs will have no choice. They have to sign other players." On the other hand, Jagr understands why Nylander had to leave. He believes that his former centerman was unable to communicate his needs to the Rangers on time and management couldn't wait any longer. For fear, Jagr explained, that "we could suddenly end up with no centerman -- that would be, let's say, the end of the season."

The Sheldon Souray watch continues today, with the Rangers still on the radar screen for the top remaining unsigned free agent, rumored to be trying to create cap space via trade so that they can sign the big point shooter they believe will complete a potent power play unit. But the Rangers still have their own free agents to worry about -- UFA Brendan Shanahan, RFAs Henrik Lundqvist and Sean Avery, who still have at least eleven days of negotiation left until arbitration hearings begin, and Marcel Hossa, fast becoming an afterthought.
    platessmall.jpg
    wow

the icelanders named newly acquired Billy Guerin the new team Captain.
    he was always i guy i used to like,

oh well, wait till he experiences this rivalry.

all boos for him now !
    platessmall.jpg