B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    even tho it doesnt affect us this time ( thankfully we get some positive press for a change ) who has Nylander ?

Oilers complain they had Nylander signed before Washington did

Canadian Press Jul 3, 2007, 8:35 PM EDT
    EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers have complained to the NHL that they had Michael Nylander before the Washington Capitals did.

In a statement Tuesday, the Oilers said Nylander had signed with the Oilers on Sunday, only to then sign a US$19.5-million, four-year contract with the Capitals the next day.

To make matters worse, the Oilers say they held off going after other potential free agents because they thought they had Nylander in the bag. The 34-year-old Swede was one of the top catches on the free-agent market, setting career highs in goals (26), assists (57) and points (83) with the New York Rangers last season.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers general manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, certified agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007-08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing," the Oilers' statement read Tuesday.

"The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander's contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

"However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.

"The Oilers can find no precedent for such conduct in our history. The Oilers are examining and pursuing every course of action available in the best interest of the team and our fans.

"For legal reasons, the Edmonton Oilers hockey club will not be discussing the details any further at this time."

A lawyer for the Oilers could not provide contract details on the Edmonton deal.

Calls to both Lowe and Gillis by The Canadian Press were not immediately returned Tuesday. The NHL also did not have an immediate response. A call into Caps GM George McPhee was also not returned.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I say the Oilers go after compensation from Washington.
    After that bit of business it isn't likely they'll want Nylander anyway.
    Then they should call him up (if he's in shape :-\)

Seriously though, we did call him KasparMINUS but he was a rough player, and a good defensemen when he was on.

If you look at our defense it can be shakey but it can be strong...Pock is another player that needs more time on the ice. Rosival proved to us that he's the best D man they got when his game is strong. Girardi was an AMAZING call up last year, and hopefully he can continue, plus Mara has SOME SHOT, but that seems to be the only thing he has :-|

Like I said, our team on D is better now with Rozsival, Girardi, Tyutin, etc etc as opposed to Dale Puriton, Malakhov, and Poti...haha

This team looks to be as strong as the 93-94 team on paper, lets see how it holds up.

We need Gravey on the bench :D

been mentioned here in this very thread numerous times

but i met Dariusat the MSG Pearl Jam Show ( night 1 ) back in 2003.

He was with his then scandanavian wife ( oh my gosh a supermodel ) and turns out he is a huge Pearl Jam fanatic.
    platessmall.jpg
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    yes trade montoya,, where is he gonna play??

if we sign henry for 5-7 years where montoya??

plus we drafted LaFluer(sp)

i just dont see the room

either way its a good prolem to have
    dedicated to NYR takinbg gambles as far as Henriuk is concerned-

and again- where the hell is the $ coming from in order to sign Souray ?

what about shanny, prucha, henrik and hossa ? ?

:confused::confused:

[url=
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07042007/sp ... brooks.htm] Risky Business [/url]

RANGER RISK WITH HENRIK
    By LARRY BROOKS
    HENRIK LUNDQVIST
    Could face arbitration.July 4, 2007 -- With negotiations on a long-term contract for Henrik Lundqvist hitting a speed bump, the Rangers may elect to take the Group II free-agent goaltender to salary arbitration in order to avoid any possibility of a protracted dispute and to guarantee his presence in training camp.

Though Lundqvist's agent, Don Meehan, acknowledged the possibility of GM Glen Sather exercising that prerogative by Friday's deadline, he said he believes the Blueshirts will be making a mistake not to lock up the two-time Vezina Trophy nominee to an extended deal.

"I gave Glen a proposal for a long-term deal on Monday and would expect to receive a counter within the next couple of days," Meehan told The Post. "I think it would be foolish for the team to be thinking in terms of a short-term deal when Henrik could, under those circumstances, become an unrestricted free agent in two years. There'd be some risk involved there.

"I have already told Glen I will not file for player-elected arbitration. So the only way to ensure that Henrik will be in camp would be for them to elect to arbitrate. But since a player can only be taken to club-elected arbitration once over the course of his career, next season might become a more complicated matter."

The parties have been informally negotiating since the end of the playoffs, with Meehan telling The Post two weeks ago that Lundqvist had no interest whatsoever in receiving a Group II offer sheet from another club. It's believed Sather and Meehan (for Lundqvist) have been talking about a deal of between 5-7 years for between $4.75-5.25 million per, a number the Rangers can accommodate within the NHL salary cap.

The goaltender's price, however, might have gone up in the aftermath of the large sums gained on the open market Sunday by free agent forwards Scott Gomez, Daniel Briere and Chris Drury, not one of whom is as valuable as the 25-year-old franchise goaltender. It could be argued that on the open market, Lundqvist might be able to command the league's highest contract. Meehan may be advancing that contention.

"Glen is traditionally patient in his approach to negotiations, so I'm not suggesting we're at a critical point or anywhere near an impasse," Meehan said. "But I am saying that signing Henrik to anything other than a long-term deal has its risks on the team side."

read about Souray here
    Last night the Devils signed defenseman Karel Rachunek from the Rangers, who did not qualify the 27-year-old at $1.8 million. The Devils are believed to have given him a one-year $1.5 million deal. . . . Although it seems unlikely, sources are buzzing that defenseman Sheldon Souray might be going to the Rangers as an unrestricted from Montreal. Salary-cap space would be the first difficulty, style of play another, but the buzz continues.
    platessmall.jpg
    And SJ and the Devils are the two other teams in the Souray rumors (I guess Mtl is still considered, even though they're pretty much done talking to him).
    Avery is going to arbitration and if you want to sign Lunk and Shanahan, you probably won't have enough for Souray. 22mil over 4 years was too little for him, so...
    I'll miss his slapshot, sniff sniff, but his lousy defensive abilities won't be missed :P I'd still like him to stay in Habsville though.
    Bulletin

July 04, 2007
    Cap Calculations

The Rangers' big free agent signings bring their current salary cap figure to $39,711,310 -- this includes Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, and Ryan Callahan but not Darius Kasparaitis, and leaves five roster spaces open for Brendan Shanahan, Sean Avery, Petr Prucha, Marcel Hossa, and Henrik Lundqvist. The remaining cap space is just enough to cover Lundqvist at $5 million, Avery at $2.5, Hossa and Prucha at their qualifying offers, and Shanahan at $2.5 plus cap-exempt bonuses.

There is no room in this calculation for Lundqvist to ask for more, as his agent may be doing, according to Larry Brooks of the Post (who also reports that the Rangers are mulling team-elected arbitration). There is the possibility of Avery getting less, as $2.5 is believed to be at the top of his salary range, according to Dan Rosen of the Record (Avery may seek arbitration himself). Accomodating all of these players would leave the Rangers without the wiggle room they like to have during the course of the season.

One way to create that space is on defense. Our calculation, because of the signing of Jason Strudwick, includes eight defensemen. The savings of sending one of the young defensemen -- Staal, Pock, Girardi -- to Hartford in favor of Nigel Dawes are too minimal to make a difference. A move would have to be made at the top end to open up the needed amount of space. And that would mean cuttting Marek Malik out of the equation a year early (we assume that the Rangers cannot afford to cut Paul Mara because of his age and his power play skills). A lot of this would have to wait until training camp to be decided -- the Rangers would have to see where Staal is before making a decision on one of the other seven blueliners.

Michael Nylander's last minute switch from Edmonton to Washington is under dispute by the Oilers, according to Slam! Sports. Kevin Lowe claims that he reached agreement with the former Ranger center and made subsequent decisions based on having him as part of their team. If this dispute ever reaches the point of decision by a disinterested third party, the decision point will be dry ink on a contract. Hard to imagine that Nylander would change teams had he already signed (literally signed) an Oiler contract.

The Devils filled their roster voids at top center and top defenseman with Dainius Zubrus, Jaromir Jagr's longtime antagonist, and Karel Rachunek, cut loose by the Rangers last month (see the Daily News). Good luck to them. Meanwhile, the Rangers are of course among the winners in the free agent market, according to the Edmonton Journal, who get some quotes from Glen Sather on how things shook out.

Darren Eliot of SI.com is using the Sabres' losses of Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, and Zubrus as proof positive that Gary Bettman screwed over the small markets with false promises. Eliot needs to come down from la-la land -- if small market competitiveness was ever promised, small market teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, and Tampa, who had already built successful squads with low budgets under the old evil CBA, would not have been forced to routinely gut themselves under the new CBA.

Buffalo had already been forced to let Jay McKee and J.P. Dumont walk a year ago, and they pushed Drury and Briere out of town by not tendering a contract extension to Drury after he agreed to one last September and by questioning Briere's mettle during the recent playoffs and then lowballing him in contract talks. Their club was screwed before the new CBA was created to protect them, and they were further screwed by their own ineptness, not by the Rangers or Flyers. But their billionaire owner is not crying -- his investment in the bankrupt franchise has tripled or quadrupled in just a few years, and that is what the lockout was really about, franchise value.
    platessmall.jpg
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Darren Eliot is not as dumb as I though he was...........
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    just saw on the wire that the rangers re-signed prucha.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    just saw on the wire that the rangers re-signed prucha.

1 down 4 to go
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    kevin weekes to the devils. so essentially we traded karel rachunek and weekes to the devils for scott gomez..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    kevin weekes to the devils. so essentially we traded karel rachunek and weekes to the devils for scott gomez..

i hate to type it

but i told you all so.

weekes gone before montoya.

now lets see how this pans out.

Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
    yet another irishman.

RANGERS ACQUIRE RIGHTS TO FRITZ FROM TAMPA

7/4/2007

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired the rights to restricted free agent forward Mitch Fritz from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for the rights to restricted free agent free agent defenseman Bryce Lampman.

Fritz, 26, appeared in 63 games with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season, registering one assist, along with 144 penalty minutes. His 144 penalty minutes ranked second on the team.

The 6-8, 258-pound forward has skated in 223 career AHL games with Springfield, Worcester, Milwaukee, Saint John, Hamilton and Lowell, totaling 10 goals and nine assists for 19 points, along with 669 penalty minutes. In 2005-06, he led Springfield with 212 penalty minutes and was named winner of the Yanick Durpe Award as the American Hockey League’s Man of the Year. He has also appeared 184 career East Coast Hockey League games, collecting 36 points (13 goals and 23 assists) and 656 penalty minutes.

Lampman, 26, appeared in 60 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season, registering six goals and 19 assists, along with 62 penalty minutes.

:eek:
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yet another irishman.

7/4/2007

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired the rights to restricted free agent forward Mitch Fritz from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for the rights to restricted free agent free agent defenseman Bryce Lampman.

Fritz, 26, appeared in 63 games with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season, registering one assist, along with 144 penalty minutes. His 144 penalty minutes ranked second on the team.

The 6-8, 258-pound forward has skated in 223 career AHL games with Springfield, Worcester, Milwaukee, Saint John, Hamilton and Lowell, totaling 10 goals and nine assists for 19 points, along with 669 penalty minutes. In 2005-06, he led Springfield with 212 penalty minutes and was named winner of the Yanick Durpe Award as the American Hockey League’s Man of the Year. He has also appeared 184 career East Coast Hockey League games, collecting 36 points (13 goals and 23 assists) and 656 penalty minutes.

Lampman, 26, appeared in 60 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season, registering six goals and 19 assists, along with 62 penalty minutes.

i guess he's a tough guy lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i guess he's a tough guy lol

they need someone to clean up Averys messes.

;)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Henrik's not going anywhere, he will take the 5 mil, he wouldn't go anywhere...he loves NYC as well as the Rangers. I think it's stupid that we signed Strudwick if we are going to get Souray. Too bad we don't have free agent defensemen, we could dump 1 or 2 and save a lot of money.

In the end I believe everyone will be on the team (including Souray) but I am just hoping that these long term deals benefit, because if they don't we wont be able to make any moves for the next 5-7 years
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    they need someone to clean up Averys messes.

;)

haha speaking of which can we sign this guy already
  • From the Post

Sources say the Devils are bidding for defenseman Sheldon Souray, an unrestricted free agent from Montreal who was traded there by Lamoriello with Josh DeWolf and a second-round pick for Vladimir Malakhov on March 1, 2000.

Souray, with the hardest shot in the NHL, would fit well in the Devils' style of tips-and-rebounds, but the Rangers, Oilers and Sharks are believed to be in pursuit of him.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i hate to type it

but i told you all so.

weekes gone before montoya.

now lets see how this pans out.

Lets Go Rangers
    weekes gone sooner than I expected, but to the Devils? I guess NJ is realizing Marty cant play 82 games a yr + playoffs so now he'll play 70 or fewer. And they got Souray too? They might not suck too bad then.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • I was just thinking about it. I would trade Gomez to get Souray. You save money, and you got goals in the net on the PP and you have enough money to give whatever Lundquivst wants.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yet another irishman.

7/4/2007

Do you guys play Minny this year? I would love to see this guy and Derek Boogaard (6'7", 275) have a go. The last Rangers game I went to was in Toronto in '95 and we got scalper seats right in the middle of a bunch of blue shirts that didn't like Luc Robataille (the kept yelling: "change your number Robataille!"). Anyway, that was the game that Domi knocked Ulf Samuelsson the fuck out and that was a great moment in hockey history as everyone kind of felt that Cam Neely had been vindicated that night. And I got to see the Leafs get shutout on Saturday night. It was a great night.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
    any news im missing boyz
    Henrik's not going anywhere, he will take the 5 mil, he wouldn't go anywhere...he loves NYC as well as the Rangers. I think it's stupid that we signed Strudwick if we are going to get Souray. Too bad we don't have free agent defensemen, we could dump 1 or 2 and save a lot of money.

In the end I believe everyone will be on the team (including Souray) but I am just hoping that these long term deals benefit, because if they don't we wont be able to make any moves for the next 5-7 years
    I was just thinking about it. I would trade Gomez to get Souray. You save money, and you got goals in the net on the PP and you have enough money to give whatever Lundquivst wants.
    Souray won't be playing for the Rangers if you want everyone else signed, he wants LOTS of money, and you won't have enough for him after signing everyone else.
    ME wrote:
    And SJ and the Devils are the two other teams in the Souray rumors (I guess Mtl is still considered, even though they're pretty much done talking to him).
    Avery is going to arbitration and if you want to sign Lunk and Shanahan, you probably won't have enough for Souray. 22mil over 4 years was too little for him, so...
    I'll miss his slapshot, sniff sniff, but his lousy defensive abilities won't be missed :P I'd still like him to stay in Habsville though.

I don't know why you'd want to dump Gomez to pick Souray up, Souray lets more guys skate by him than he does score goals, and he only had 1 good goal scoring season anyway (year before wasn't too bad).
    Souray about the double post (ha).
    Anaheim might be looking at him too but waiting on Neidermeyer and Selanne to decide on retirement.
    prucha signed 2 years 1.6 mil per

avery and hossa both are going to arbitration
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    prucha signed 2 years 1.6 mil per

avery and hossa both are going to arbitration

and lundquivst apparently
    Rygar wrote:
    I don't know why you'd want to dump Gomez to pick Souray up, Souray lets more guys skate by him than he does score goals, and he only had 1 good goal scoring season anyway (year before wasn't too bad).

i agree about souray.

yeah sure, hes got a cannon of a shot.

but ask him to play defense ?

i think hes a liability in that respect .

there are plenty of other , younger homegrown defensemen waiting to get the call up.

keep it from inside.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bulletin

July 05, 2007
    Popular Prucha Re-Signed; Avery & Hossa Headed to Arbitration [updated with links]

The Rangers have re-signed Petr Prucha to a two-year deal worth $3.2 million, according to Blueshirts Blog and Rangers Report (see also NYR.com). Meanwhile, Sean Avery and Marcel Hossa have filed for arbitration, with Avery's agent threatening (albeit in polite terms) to take a one-year deal and then test the free agent waters. As good as Avery was when he came here last season, his reputation for souring on his teams (and vice versa) is such that Glen Sather would be smart to let him have his one-year deal and prove that all that is in his past. And if that proves to be true, Avery will get an even better long-term deal a year from now than he can get right now. Hossa is another story -- while Avery is too valuable for Sather to begrudge him his arbitration filing or any other posturing via his agent, Hossa may have written his ticket out of town by challenging Slats (and not a moment too soon as far as we're concerned). Hossa may even have provided Sather with an outlet for his anger that enables him to remain on good terms with Avery.

Newspaper reports on Prucha's signing, the arbitration filings, and other rumblings can be found in the Daily News, Journal News, Record, and Rangers Report. One major rumbling covered in some of those reports is the widely rumored notion that Sather is trying to create cap space to sign Sheldon Souray, having possibly asked Souray to hold off on accepting other offers until he can trade Marek Malik and/or other weighty contracts (we've heard it thirdhand as coming straight from the horse's mouth). If the idea is to replace Malik with Souray, getting Souray's point shot onto the power play and his toughness will make up for the defensive shortcomings he shares with Malik (at least according to those fans who boo Malik), depending on what Sather has to give up to get another team to take Malik's salary off his hands -- trading Prucha, Montoya, or a similar player to land Souray, who turns 31 next week, would be mortgaging the future, unless a good future asset came back the Rangers' way.

Kevin Weekes signed with the Devils for a cap hit of less than $700,000 per year, according to the Star-Ledger. Having taken a position behind Martin Brodeur, he has obviously accepted his status as NHL back-up. Just as obvious is the fact that the Rangers have to go with Steve Valiquette as Henrik Lundqvist's back-up, since they don't have the cap room for another goalie (unless they get someone back in whatever trade they swing to get cap space for Souray). At a salary only $50,000+ higher than Valiquette, the Rangers would have been better served retaining Weekes as Lundqvist's back-up -- he would have been better suited to take over the workload should anything happen to Lundqvist.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i agree about souray.

yeah sure, hes got a cannon of a shot.

but ask him to play defense ?

i think hes a liability in that respect .

there are plenty of other , younger homegrown defensemen waiting to get the call up.

keep it from inside.

Despite his horrid defensive capabilities, he's good at raising spirits and doesn't hesitate to jump to the defense of the little guy (even if he sprains his wrist doing it....ooowie!).
    Rygar wrote:
    Despite his horrid defensive capabilities, he's good at raising spirits and doesn't hesitate to jump to the defense of the little guy (even if he sprains his wrist doing it....ooowie!).

even brian leetch broke his ankle

the man made his living on the ice

Then slipping on ice getting into / out of a nyc cab .

platessmall.jpg