2007 Yankees

Comments

• JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Allie02 wrote:
    well at least now we're only 7 1/2 back. Big Papi is hurt and if we keep things up, I feel optimistic about our chances to regain 1st place, as long as they stay scrappy and keep fighting.
    I think it's going to be an interesting 2nd half.

1st place? easy. for a team that just got back over .500 a week ago, you sure are jumping the gun. you beat the crap out of the d-rays this weekend. sox still have 15 games to play against them, btw. papi will be out a couple days and will probably play wed/thurs in cleveland.

since june 1st (which was the first game of the series the last time the sox and yanks played each other) the sox have been playing horrible (17-23) and the yanks have been very hot at 30-17. although the thing that should concern you (not me, because it makes me happy) is that you're barely getting 5-6 innings out of your starters. moose couldn't get out of the 5th the other night and desalvo couldn't get out of the 5th last night either.

i would LOVE it it cashman was dumb enough to trade away proctor or farnsworth. you get rid of either one of those guys and the bullpen will be in big trouble.

if the yanks keep playing this way i can definitely see them gunning for a shot at the wild card, but even then it will be tough since the mariners have been hot lately (2 games out of the wild card) and the tigers and indians are neck and neck and probably will be for some time (i think the wild card will be the 'loser' of those two teams). the twins are only 1/2 game behind the yanks for the wild card too.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    The Yanks can't worry about what other teams are doing. They have to stay focused on winning ballgames on a consistent basis. If they do that, then good things will happen in the standings.
    Brian
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    JSBE wrote:
    1st place? easy. for a team that just got back over .500 a week ago, you sure are jumping the gun. you beat the crap out of the d-rays this weekend. sox still have 15 games to play against them, btw. papi will be out a couple days and will probably play wed/thurs in cleveland.

since june 1st (which was the first game of the series the last time the sox and yanks played each other) the sox have been playing horrible (17-23) and the yanks have been very hot at 30-17. although the thing that should concern you (not me, because it makes me happy) is that you're barely getting 5-6 innings out of your starters. moose couldn't get out of the 5th the other night and desalvo couldn't get out of the 5th last night either.

i would LOVE it it cashman was dumb enough to trade away proctor or farnsworth. you get rid of either one of those guys and the bullpen will be in big trouble.

if the yanks keep playing this way i can definitely see them gunning for a shot at the wild card, but even then it will be tough since the mariners have been hot lately (2 games out of the wild card) and the tigers and indians are neck and neck and probably will be for some time (i think the wild card will be the 'loser' of those two teams). the twins are only 1/2 game behind the yanks for the wild card too.

Ah, ye of little faith :) You must be a Red Sox fan. This is the Yankee thread so may I suggest you go
    > thata way...
    We are designed for dramatic comebacks. Do I need to remind you about Bucky Dent? Or Aaron Boone?

Puh-leeze, if we stay scoring 21 runs, we don't need to worry about quality starting pitching :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    igotid88 wrote:
    He's too young for you.
    Wow, can you take a hint? Do I ever respond to anything you say? Um, no, I don't and I'm done being polite about it or politely ignoring it.

The question was directed at Xavier, NOT at you. You're like borderline obsessive and it's creepy.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    nope, most tv guys are annoying. they stick their microphones in and their camara guys never say excuse me when they bump into you. the exception is the YES Network at Yankee games and SNY at the Met games. (i apologize in advance to anyone in TV production since not everyone is like that). A lot of times, you get better answers from guys like Jeter once the TV people are finished.

Hmm. Interesting.
    Well next time you holler at DJ tell him you know some cute girl from Queens that wants to meet him and make him dinner :)

Michael Kay is the most annoying human being, possibly ever. He talks just to hear the sound of his own voice.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    I'll agree with you on Kay. Friday night he questioned two official scoring plays that were ruled errors and said on the air that a fifth umpire should be the official scorer. There's a couple of problems with that.

One is that the official scorer enforces the rules in terms of errors, unearned runs and so on and the umpires are there for judgement calls balls, strikes and so on.

Two is that a lot of umpires are very sensistive. I'm sure an umpire who is an official scorer would be that way if a team complains about an error in the ninth inning of a blowout.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    I'll agree with you on Kay. Friday night he questioned two official scoring plays that were ruled errors and said on the air that a fifth umpire should be the official scorer. There's a couple of problems with that.

One is that the official scorer enforces the rules in terms of errors, unearned runs and so on and the umpires are there for judgement calls balls, strikes and so on.

Two is that a lot of umpires are very sensistive. I'm sure an umpire who is an official scorer would be that way if a team complains about an error in the ninth inning of a blowout.

well I didn't see the plays or the game so I can't adequately comment
    but the official scorer is also usually biased towards the home team anyway

He just likes the sound of his own voice and he's never actually played the game, so he comes up with these cockamamie ideas. He had a fight on air with Joe Girardi one time. It gets so bad that sometimes when I watch I put the game on mute just to hear it in peace
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie02 wrote:
    well I didn't see the plays or the game so I can't adequately comment
    but the official scorer is also usually biased towards the home team anyway

He just likes the sound of his own voice and he's never actually played the game, so he comes up with these cockamamie ideas. He had a fight on air with Joe Girardi one time. It gets so bad that sometimes when I watch I put the game on mute just to hear it in peace

in many other towns but definitely not in new york.

but here are some notable items from the game:

- was the 25th time they scored 20 runs
    - the 38 runs in the last two games is two shy of the team record for the highest total in consecutive game. That was set May 23-24, 1936 at Philadelphia
    -largest margin of victory since a 19-1 win at Baltimore on July 25, 2000
    - first time they recorded 20 hits in back to back games
    - the first time since July 21, 2005 at Texas they hit six home runs
    - shelly duncan is the first Yankee to hit three home runs in his first six at-bats since 1947.
    - matsui has homered in three straight games for the second time with the Yankees. He also did it 9/29-9/30/2004 vs. Minnesota.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Duncan is the new Shane Spencer.

And that's a good thing.

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    in many other towns but definitely not in new york.

but here are some notable items from the game:

- was the 25th time they scored 20 runs
    - the 38 runs in the last two games is two shy of the team record for the highest total in consecutive game. That was set May 23-24, 1936 at Philadelphia
    -largest margin of victory since a 19-1 win at Baltimore on July 25, 2000
    - first time they recorded 20 hits in back to back games
    - the first time since July 21, 2005 at Texas they hit six home runs
    - shelly duncan is the first Yankee to hit three home runs in his first six at-bats since 1947.
    - matsui has homered in three straight games for the second time with the Yankees. He also did it 9/29-9/30/2004 vs. Minnesota.

You don't think the Yanks scorers are biased towards home cooking? Come on!

Where do you dig all these stats up? I was wondering if the 21 runs was a record. That was crazy. How many pitchers gave up the 10 runs in the inning they were scored? What was it, the 4th, or the 5th?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    they were on the postgame notes. and i don't think they are biased, i sit right next to them and i see them looking at the best replay possible to make the call and many times on the Yes Network the angles are not that good.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Was such a rout today that I watched most of the HBO documentary on the Brooklyn Dodgers between innings. I stopped it every so often to check in on the game and was amazed that the game was still on and not much "baseball time" had elapsed. I did turn back in time to see Leiter talking about how he actually gets questions about whether or not he was partly responsible for Kazmir getting traded or Valentine getting fired when he was with the Mets. The documentary, btw, is excellent stuff. I reccomend it to anyone who is a baseball fan, but especially those in the New York area.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I did turn back in time to see Leiter talking about how he actually gets questions about whether or not he was partly responsible for Kazmir getting traded or Valentine getting fired when he was with the Mets.

dude... that was crazy. al leiter really went off on the mets' organization. he basically implied that that they tried to blame him for the kazmir trade, and that now mets fans hate him because of it. he said it spoke volumes about the "sad state of the organization" that they would operate in such a way.

i don't know the whole story, obviously, but i was pretty shocked that he would go on a rant like that in the middle of a YES broadcast.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Allie02 wrote:
    Wow, can you take a hint? Do I ever respond to anything you say? Um, no, I don't and I'm done being polite about it or politely ignoring it.

The question was directed at Xavier, NOT at you. You're like borderline obsessive and it's creepy.

What are you talking about? what hint? You do respond to some of what I say. When have you ever been polite? If I was metsfan(no offense) you wouldn't say this. I was just joking with you. And that was not being obsessive. Why does everyone read too much into what I say or write?
    I miss igotid88
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    dude... that was crazy. al leiter really went off on the mets' organization. he basically implied that that they tried to blame him for the kazmir trade, and that now mets fans hate him because of it. he said it spoke volumes about the "sad state of the organization" that they would operate in such a way.

i don't know the whole story, obviously, but i was pretty shocked that he would go on a rant like that in the middle of a YES broadcast.
    i dont hate leiter at all, the kazmir thing was cause of peterson saying he wasnt ready.sounds like leiter is bitter for the way the mets let him go or he was thinking he'd get a job on sny
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• i dont hate leiter at all, the kazmir thing was cause of peterson saying he wasnt ready.sounds like leiter is bitter for the way the mets let him go or he was thinking he'd get a job on sny

yeah, that had been my understanding. peterson wasn't really a big kazmir fan. i don't know where the rest of this stuff came from.

leiter definitely came across as bitter. it was a weird rant.
    igotid88 wrote:
    What are you talking about? what hint? You do respond to some of what I say. When have you ever been polite? If I was metsfan(no offense) you wouldn't say this. I was just joking with you. And that was not being obsessive. Why does everyone read too much into what I say or write?
    why u brining me into this for :confused:

yeah, that had been my understanding. peterson wasn't really a big kazmir fan. i don't know where the rest of this stuff came from.

was this todays game.thats really shocking he'd do that, oh well

It's been talked about on the broadcast in the past a couple of times before. I think even on Michael Kay's radio show also. I like Kazmir. He is being wasted in Tampa Bay.
    I miss igotid88
    why u brining me into this for :confused:

I'm just saying you would've been treated better. If you had said something worse. I'm just going by what you have said you've written in the past. I didn't mean anything bad by it. Just saying that everything I say gets looked at differently. Sort of Like A-Rod.
    I miss igotid88
  • was this todays game.thats really shocking he'd do that, oh well

yeah, it was today.
    igotid88 wrote:
    It's been talked about on the broadcast in the past a couple of times before. I think even on Michael Kay's radio show also. I like Kazmir. He is being wasted in Tampa Bay.

it came up a few times, but i don't recall leiter ripping the organization like he did today.

kazmir is solid. it looks like he's beginning to turn it around after a rough first half.
    yeah, it was today.

it came up a few times, but i don't recall leiter ripping the organization like he did today.

kazmir is solid. it looks like he's beginning to turn it around after a rough first half.

I didn't see the whole game today so I missed the rant and how he sounded. But seemed pretty miffed back then also. Maybe this rant was longer.
    I miss igotid88
    well if you really want to hear the rant, they're replaying the game now.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    igotid88 wrote:
    I'm just saying you would've been treated better. If you had said something worse. I'm just going by what you have said you've written in the past. I didn't mean anything bad by it. Just saying that everything I say gets looked at differently. Sort of Like A-Rod.
    ok cool. i was a total perv to her at first, now im not and now she likes to chat with me from time to time

well if you really want to hear the rant, they're replaying the game now.

What inning was it? If it was when they didn't score they'll probably cut that inning out.
    I miss igotid88
    ok cool. i was a total perv to her at first, now im not and now she likes to chat with me from time to time

That's the thing. I wasn't really perv. Maybe wanted some attention. But I never went over the proverbial line. Usually for me though, saying Hi! is going too far. That's what happens with ugly people like me.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    That's the thing. I wasn't really perv. Maybe wanted some attention. But I never went over the proverbial line. Usually for me though, saying Hi! is going too far. That's what happens with ugly people like me.
    but maybe to her you were a perv, i dont know what to tell u. no one is ever ugly.

• JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Allie02 wrote:
    Ah, ye of little faith :) You must be a Red Sox fan. This is the Yankee thread so may I suggest you go
    > thata way...
    We are designed for dramatic comebacks. Do I need to remind you about Bucky Dent? Or Aaron Boone?

Puh-leeze, if we stay scoring 21 runs, we don't need to worry about quality starting pitching :)

you must be a post 95/96 or worse, a post 2001 yankee fan (if there were any new ones after they stopped winning w.s.) to feel you need to bring up dent and boone.

if you're sitting back hoping (thinking?) your team scores tons of runs every day to have a chance to win you've already proven you're not really that big of a fan or else you would be worried that your pitching is very, very spotty and good ol' joe is killing everyone in the bullpen...again...
  • Allie02 wrote:
    > thata way...

you scored 21 runs............

.......against the DEVIL RAYS.

let's build ya a gold statue for that feat. and nah, you guys need pitching. look at your team's era versus the red sox. it isn't even close. when we face ya later on down the line during games that could be meaingful, pitching wins ballgames.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    the relief pitching concerns me, speciffically farnsworth and sparky proctor. three of the five starters i'm confident in and i'm hoping kei igawa will be removed once hughes is able to return.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024