Options

Kramer from Seinfeld outdoes Mel Gibson

Comments

• Options
    shmapshmap Posts: 359
    NMyTree wrote:
    What a crock of shit.

People watch and listen to whatever and whom ever they like and who's music, TV shows and movies appeal to them as an individual. I'm not going to watch on a regular basis a movie or listen to music on a regular basis by a black guy/girl just to be PC or out of fear of being considered a racist ......if I don't watch or listen.

People try out and give different music, TV and movies a chance. If it doesn't appeal to them, then they don't watch anymore.

Certainly, Black people won't watch or listen to some white people just for the sake of being PC or avoiding the racist label

It's personal perference and personal taste. Interestingly, white teenage boys are the biggest fans and consumer niche for black rappers and hip-hoppers.

You live in a fantasy land.

How about addressing the more pertinent part of ryan's post: "Just because black people can buy the same stuff white people can, does not mean that a history of inequity has been vanquished. How else do you explain differences in education, poverty, jail, and death rates? Is it genetics? If it's genetics how do you determine race? The Human Genome Project sure hasn't figured out how to...."
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    NMyTree wrote:
    ....and where in this thread am I defending Michael Richards?
    "As always with the overly-sensitive, vomit-inducing, over-the-top PCers .......black, hispanic (or anyone) can spit out racist slurs and concepts on a regular basis, and that's okay. A white guy does it and it's the end of the world."

Your words, hon...not mine. Whether you mean it to or not, that is defense.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    dharma69 wrote:

Wanted to ask you...what's your take on affirmative action?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    I want to see all you overly-sensitive, vomit-inducing, over-the-top PCers get completely outraged next time a black entertainer....Black Rapper..... Black Comedian.......spits out racist/racial insults. I want to see you slam and denigrate the Black entertainers......as you are Michael Richards.

Racism is wrong. Racism was, is and always will be wrong. And you don't have to be "pc" to think so. Michael Richards is a racist as much as Mel Gibson is anti-jewish. And that's wrong. Nothing you say can change how wrong Michael Richards's thoughts and actions are
  • Options
    Honestly...it served it's purpose for a while. Give an assist, right a few wrongs, attempt to "even out the playing field" (popular AA buzzwords there)....

But I think it's past time for tha tprogram to move on. Once you started turning the tables and denying everyone else the same things "we" were denied in the name of, what...equality???...then the machine was broken. Good intentions, some great results, but I'm not living or walking with the crutch that my "people" were oppressed for the rest of my life. Slavery came and went...as humans we've all changed mostly for the better. For the most part I'm over it.

That is until Michael Richards hits the comedy circuit.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    I don't disagree, but you have to accept that the n-word has resulted in much more pain and agony than any racial sterotype against white people...that's all I'm saying.
    Wait a minute...."the n-word has resluted" ???? Hell no. Words are words people. Sure, some are hurtful and whatever but no fucking word ever made anyone a slave. Racism is racism is racism. No matter what your racist words are or which way they're being spouted. But actions matter, not words. That being said, I hope Kat shuts this idiotic thread down soon. I've rarely seen such ignorance in my life than on this thread.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    ....and where in this thread am I defending Michael Richards?

Nigga, please! You defended him when you said that Richards proved a profound point, whether he did it intentionally or not. I'm still not sure what point you think Richards proved, but that's not important.

You compared Richards' tirade to things Dave Chappelle has said, although you fail to point out specifics. I've watched both seasons of Chappelle's Show in their entirety, and I don't recall ever seeing Chappelle single out a white member of the audience and angrily suggest that a bunch of black dudes surround him and pull a Reginald Denny on him. That would be the equivalent of what Richards said.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    shmap wrote:
    How about addressing the more pertinent part of ryan's post: "Just because black people can buy the same stuff white people can, does not mean that a history of inequity has been vanquished. How else do you explain differences in education, poverty, jail, and death rates? Is it genetics? If it's genetics how do you determine race? The Human Genome Project sure hasn't figured out how to...."

facts are facts, and the fact is, black people pay higher martgage rates than whites. racism? you bet!

but, to say all white people in america are to blame is just not true. like most capitalistic businesses, they make money where they can. they can charge higher rates to blacks so they do. until our gvt jumps in and makes a law to prevent it, it will keep happening. not because they are black, but becasue people want to make money!

all that said, racism is far from gone in this country, but blacks have made tremendous strides in the past 20 years.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    dharma69 wrote:
    "As always with the overly-sensitive, vomit-inducing, over-the-top PCers .......black, hispanic (or anyone) can spit out racist slurs and concepts on a regular basis, and that's okay. A white guy does it and it's the end of the world."

Your words, hon...not mine. Whether you mean it to or not, that is defense.

No, that's not a defense or in-defense of Michael Richards. It's a very accurate comment on the PC state of mind and the current state of reality.
  • Options
    Wait a minute...."the n-word has resluted" ???? Hell no. Words are words people. Sure, some are hurtful and whatever but no fucking word ever made anyone a slave. Racism is racism is racism. No matter what your racist words are or which way they're being spouted. But actions matter, not words. That being said, I hope Kat shuts this idiotic thread down soon. I've rarely seen such ignorance in my life than on this thread.

Racist words ingrained the belief in many that it was acceptable to have two sets of water fountains to drink out of or bathroom facilities to use depending on your skin color. In response to the catch all "words are just words" rhetoric, if you haven't experienced injustice I guess it is just too difficult of a concept to conceive that words can have a profound affect on someone.
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~ Upcoming 2024  TBD...
  • Options
    Racism is wrong. Racism was, is and always will be wrong. And you don't have to be "pc" to think so. Michael Richards is a racist as much as Mel Gibson is anti-jewish. And that's wrong. Nothing you say can change how wrong Michael Richards's thoughts and actions are

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I would have never seen the light without you.

Again, where am I defending Michael Richards?
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    Honestly...it served it's purpose for a while. Give an assist, right a few wrongs, attempt to "even out the playing field" (popular AA buzzwords there)....

But I think it's past time for tha tprogram to move on. Once you started turning the tables and denying everyone else the same things "we" were denied in the name of, what...equality???...then the machine was broken. Good intentions, some great results, but I'm not living or walking with the crutch that my "people" were oppressed for the rest of my life. Slavery came and went...as humans we've all changed mostly for the better. For the most part I'm over it.

Exactly. Good job.
  • Options
    I've rarely seen such ignorance in my life than on this thread.

Really??? You've lived a sheltered life. ;)

You also really want Kat to shut the thread down? Why on earth would you want that?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I would have never seen the light without you.

By claiming that the people who criticize him are "pc", you're suggesting that they're wrong. Not him. I don't think you meant to use the term "pc" as a compliment
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    \

As far as I can tell, I never claimed he provided me with a great service.

He merely proved a point (a double standard or hypocrisy) I was already aware of. A very profound point.

....and the posts in this thread by the overly-PCers are driving the point home, for me. Mission accomplished.

Explain the profound revelation concerning the double standard.

Why shouldn't society permit a black person to use a descriptive/derogatory term that they have been labeled with but then object to white people who want to use that same term to describe black people?

Give me something better than "if they are doing it we should be able to as well" argument.
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~ Upcoming 2024  TBD...
  • Options
    Nigga, please! You defended him when you said that Richards proved a profound point, whether he did it intentionally or not. I'm still not sure what point you think Richards proved, but that's not important.

You compared Richards' tirade to things Dave Chappelle has said, although you fail to point out specifics. I've watched both seasons of Chappelle's Show in their entirety, and I don't recall ever seeing Chappelle single out a white member of the audience and angrily suggest that a bunch of black dudes surround him and pull a Reginald Denny on him. That would be the equivalent of what Richards said.

You are wrong. You are wrong on so many counts, that I don't even know where to start.

What you percieve as my defending him, is not defending him at all.

Read carefully and look for the double-standards and outrage when a white guy does such a thing. Then watch as the PCers play see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil when some the black performers do similar stuff.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

Okay...let's back the truck up a bit....

Where you say;"A white guy does it and it's the end of the world.", call me crazy, but it sounds/reads/seems as if you think that a body has little or no right getting upset at his little tirade because...Black comedians do things similar? We're all over-sensitive and should get over it? "overly-sensitive, vomit-inducing"...whatever. There's nothing PC or overly-sensitive about saying how fucked up what Michaels said and did was.

I'm thinking that what I'm saying is making some sense. If it's not....sorry, but I can't do much better.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    I've never really understood affirmative action until recently. I'm a white boy and I have two roommates - one black, one white. Living in the very red state I live in, there is a very large white majority yet I've always had friends with different ethnic backgrounds. I grew up listening to U2, who taught me from the beginning that racism is ridiculous and there's no place for it in a loving, peaceful world. Martin Luther King, Jr. has always been a hero of mine. Yet I never really supported affirmative action.....until I changed my perception just about a week ago.

My roommate Andra and I were talking. He's black and we laugh sometimes about how some old man neighbor refers to him as "my negro friend". It's funny to both of us for someone to use the word 'negro' because it hasn't been used for about 30 years. Am I racist to laugh at this? Of course not. I'd laugh just as hard if someone refered to me as his "honkey friend."

Then he mentioned Hillary Clinton and that we may have a woman president. I said I hope not because I'm not a fan of her opportunist nature but said we may very well have a black president. He'd heard of Obama but not much so we talked about him for a minute. Then I said that I really think he will win, especially if those running the elections will let black people vote this time (referring to the huge disenfranchisement that went on during the 2000 elections). He misunderstood me and thought I was saying that black people don't vote and he thought I was ragging on them for not voting.

But still, his response was sort of eye-opening for me. He said, "Man, a lot of us vote but black people just get discouraged sometimes and it's hard to look on the bright side with all the shit we've had to go through in this country."

We weren't even talking about affirmative action, but that made me understand it completely and support it fully. It's not about a free ride. It's not about compensating for years and years of horrific wrongdoing. It's about encouragement. Maybe that's too "tony robbins" for some of you but I believe in it. Affirmative action is about encouragement because that's the way to make lasting change.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    NMyTree wrote:

I don't necesarily see you defending him, but I still have yet to see you even acknowledge that what he said was wrong. I am not asking you to say it was worse than something some black entertainer said. Just say it was wrong. You don't even have to call Richards a racist--just say he was being an asshole at that moment.

If you can't acknowledge that, I have to assume YOU have a double standard yourself.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    By claiming that the people who criticize him are "pc", you're suggesting that they're wrong. Not him. I don't think you meant to use the term "pc" as a compliment

Incorrect.

I claim the PC people are wrong for getting their panties all up in a wad and coming in this tread with their dramatic tears of outrage when a white guy does it, but they make excuses and justify it when a black person does it.

That concept has no bearing and is of no reflection on whether I think Michael Richards is wrong for doing what he did, or not.

It is you and others here who are assuming I'm defending him. You are putting words in my mouth (in my posts), which were never spoken or thought.

But when you read my posts without that bleeding, dramatic overly-PC biased; it is clear what my point is.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    You are wrong. You are wrong on so many counts, that I don't even know where to start.

Read carefully and look for the double-standards and outrage when a white guy does such a thing. Then watch as the PCers play see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil when some the black performers do similar stuff.

What specifically is the double standard? Do you mean a white guy who uses the N-word in a comedy bit or just in general as a description?

What is similar stuff? (ie black comic using the N word or a black comic using cracker?)

Please provide a response with substance rather than brief talking points with little info.
    Is a Compliment For You.
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    NMyTree wrote:
    it is clear what my point is.

ha. what i want to know is: is it profound?
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    I've never really understood affirmative action until recently. I'm a white boy and I have two roommates - one black, one white. Living in the very red state I live in, there is a very large white majority yet I've always had friends with different ethnic backgrounds. I grew up listening to U2, who taught me from the beginning that racism is ridiculous and there's no place for it in a loving, peaceful world. Martin Luther King, Jr. has always been a hero of mine. Yet I never really supported affirmative action.....until I changed my perception just about a week ago.

My roommate Andra and I were talking. He's black and we laugh sometimes about how some old man neighbor refers to him as "my negro friend". It's funny to both of us for someone to use the word 'negro' because it hasn't been used for about 30 years. Am I racist to laugh at this? Of course not. I'd laugh just as hard if someone refered to me as his "honkey friend."

Then he mentioned Hillary Clinton and that we may have a woman president. I said I hope not because I'm not a fan of her opportunist nature but said we may very well have a black president. He'd heard of Obama but not much so we talked about him for a minute. Then I said that I really think he will win, especially if those running the elections will let black people vote this time (referring to the huge disenfranchisement that went on during the 2000 elections). He misunderstood me and thought I was saying that black people don't vote and he thought I was ragging on them for not voting.

But still, his response was sort of eye-opening for me. He said, "Man, a lot of us vote but black people just get discouraged sometimes and it's hard to look on the bright side with all the shit we've had to go through in this country."

We weren't even talking about affirmative action, but that made me understand it completely and support it fully. It's not about a free ride. It's not about compensating for years and years of horrific wrongdoing. It's about encouragement. Maybe that's too "tony robbins" for some of you but I believe in it. Affirmative action is about encouragement because that's the way to make lasting change.

Thanks for your story...honestly. But I still strongly disagree with your reasoning.

I'll even skip the part about U2 teaching you about racism (shouldn't that have been your parents ;) ), and your interpretation of the 2000 election, etc...

Affirmative Action is not an encouragement, it's a step up. It's not a reward, it's a hand-out. And that'd be ok even if it wasn;t a step-up while pushing someone else back based solely on their race. It is exactly the beast that it was suppose to help overcome. Sure, it was probably effetcive at some point and needed, but I think if we continue to utilize this crutch we'll never learn to walk. I think it brings about the exact opposite that you say, I think it is as far from a permenant change as there can be and only divides us further based upon what?....skin color? Yep, it's fair to say that I 'hate' affirmative action. Not only is it just a crutch, it is also an excuse. No one wants to get a job,. etc. only because of their skin color. They want to work for it, and earn it. And I wouldn't want anyone to have any excuse for why I beat them out for a job.

Are there still racists out there? Yep. Is it harder for blacks to get jobs? Yep. Do they have to 'work harder' to get that same job? Sometimes maybe. Is that fair? Nope. But is it fair for someone else that is working hard to be passed over because of their skin color? Nope.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Incorrect.

I claim the PC people are wrong for getting their panties all up in a wad and coming in this tread with their dramatic tears of outrage when a white guy does it, but they make excuses and justify it when a black person does it.

That concept has no bearing and is of no reflection on whether I think Michael Richards is wrong for doing what he did, or not.

It is you and others here who are assuming I'm defending him. You are putting words in my mouth (in my posts), which were never spoken or thought.

But when you read my posts without that bleeding, dramatic overly-PC biased; it is clear what my point is.

Well when Dave Chappelle or one of these other Black comedians that you apparently have a problem with calls white people "honkys" or uses another epithet toward them, then maybe I'll address that issue. But that didn't happen here. So I wont address something that hasn't happened yet
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

Shockingly enough, your genius strategy of simply telling me I'm wrong in no uncertain terms hasn't quite convinced me that you're right.
    NMyTree wrote:

Where am I supposed to "read carefully"?? What "similar stuff" are you referring to? Please name for me the black performers your are talking about, and please tell me exactly what they said that is comparable to what Richards said, and if you can, please tell us exactly what Dave Chappelle has said that proves your "profound point".
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    Shockingly enough, your genius strategy of simply telling me I'm wrong in no uncertain terms hasn't quite convinced me that you're right.

Where am I supposed to "read carefully"?? What "similar stuff" are you referring to? Please name for me the black performers your are talking about, and please tell me exactly what they said that is comparable to what Richards said, and if you can, please tell us exactly what Dave Chappelle has said that proves your "profound point".

I just want to know what the profound revelation is regarding the double standard?

Please indulge us with you're reasoning NMyTree - you may sway my stance on the justification of Kramer's outburst.
    Is a Compliment For You.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Thanks for your story...honestly. But I still strongly disagree with your reasoning.

I'll even skip the part about U2 teaching you about racism (shouldn't that have been your parents ;) ), and your interpretation of the 2000 election, etc...

Affirmative Action is not an encouragement, it's a step up. It's not a reward, it's a hand-out. And that'd be ok even if it wasn;t a step-up while pushing someone else back based solely on their race. It is exactly the beast that it was suppose to help overcome. Sure, it was probably effetcive at some point and needed, but I think if we continue to utilize this crutch we'll never learn to walk. I think it brings about the exact opposite that you say, I think it is as far from a permenant change as there can be and only divides us further based upon what?....skin color? Yep, it's fair to say that I 'hate' affirmative action. Not only is it just a crutch, it is also an excuse. No one wants to get a job,. etc. only because of their skin color. They want to work for it, and earn it. And I wouldn't want anyone to have any excuse for why I beat them out for a job.

Are there still racists out there? Yep. Is it harder for blacks to get jobs? Yep. Do they have to 'work harder' to get that same job? Sometimes maybe. Is that fair? Nope. But is it fair for someone else that is working hard to be passed over because of their skin color? Nope.

no matter how people define affirmative action, perhaps it will one day serve as a spring board for future generations. If the current generation "takes a hand-out" or uses a "crutch" (not my words...just quoting others), maybe that will lay the foundation for the next generation to see that their parents were able to rise-up, and they will have the same aspirations....no need to tell the future generations that the seed was planted via affirmative action.
  • Options
    I'll even skip the part about U2 teaching you about racism (shouldn't that have been your parents ;) ),
    Well, it's cheesy for sure and hopefully not as cheesy as Bono's lyrics from the other day when he sang with PJ but still cheesy......but it's true. Say what you will about U2 and their outrageous lifestyle or shitty music or raping everyone on ticket prices - they're great people who do great things. Obviously parents should teach that but unfortunately my mother was and is oblivious to the world and my father is an ignorant prick. If anything he would have encouraged racism. Thank God (or science) I learned early to not pay much attention to him or anything he has to say. Being a music lover I chose to learn to love all humans through songs like Pride, Silver & Gold, Bad, and Sunday Bloody Sunday. Say what you will about U2 but their songs are telling of the great people they are.

btw, I'm glad your bearcats won on Saturday. I knew they would and they won me a few bucks.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    I don't necesarily see you defending him, but I still have yet to see you even acknowledge that what he said was wrong. I am not asking you to say it was worse than something some black entertainer said. Just say it was wrong. You don't even have to call Richards a racist--just say he was being an asshole at that moment.

If you can't acknowledge that, I have to assume YOU have a double standard yourself.

The PC mindset, their excuses, justifications and approach to this subject matter, is the equivelent of chasing your own tail.

You spin in a vicious circle in reverse and end up in the same place where you once started. There is no progress.

Racism and discrimination against any human being of any color, race, creed or religious loyalty is wrong. Once you spin in a reverse circle, you run the risk returning things to what they once were. I don't call that progress, I call that regression.

At any time when you excuse, appease and justify racist behavior by one set of people for whatever reason, you risk another set of people becoming defiant and aggressive in their response; as a form of rebellion and "evening the playing field".

Problem is, rarely (if ever) does the playing field level out. Rather, it tips in the other direction and knocks a whole group of people off of the field, all together.

Intolerence of discrimination in any direction, is the only approach which levels the field and makes the field level.

Excuses, justifications and pretentious notions of pity and tolerence of reverse-discrimination will only spin the dog back to where it once started.
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    NMyTree wrote:
    The PC mindset, their excuses, justifications and approach to this subject matter, is the equivelent of chasing your own tail.

You spin in a vicious circle in reverse and end up in the same place where you once started. There is no progress.

Racism and discrimination against any human being of any color, race, creed or religious loyalty is wrong. Once you spin in a reverse circle, you run the risk returning things to what they once were. I don't call that progress, I call that regression.

At any time when you excuse, appease and justify racist behavior by one set of people for whatever reason, you risk another set of people becoming defiant and aggressive in their response; as a form of rebellion and "evening the playing field".

Problem is, rarely (if ever) does the playing field level out. Rather, it tips in the other direction and knocks a whole group of people off of the field, all together.

Intolerence of discrimination in any direction, is the only approach which levels the field and makes the field level.

Excuses, justifications and pretentious notions of pity and tolerence of reverse-discrimination will only spin the dog back to where it once started.

i know i'm still waiting for the profound point.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside