Options

Kramer from Seinfeld outdoes Mel Gibson

Comments

• Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Ever stop and think its a matter of right vs wrong, as opposed to being PC?

Ding, Ding....We have a winner!

Unfortunately, right vs. wrong always loses out to the Overly-PC.
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    NMyTree wrote:
    Ding, Ding....We have a winner!

Unfortunately, right vs. wrong always loses out to the Overly-PC.
    what are you talking about?
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    Yeah since when is being respectful not just "correct"?

When it's not really respect, rather, turning a blind-eye of hypocritical sensitivities to one group of people and making excuses and justifications for their behavior. Which in my opinion is not respect, but feigning pity.

Hard working, self-respecting black people don't want your pity or excuses. They want respect and equality. Making excuses for black performers who have gone on very similar, non-scripted tirades against white people, and condemning a white performer for the very same behavior; is embarrassing, shameful and disrespectful to both whites and blacks.

ryan198 wrote:
    Doesn't Politically Correct imply that you want to be racist but you can't?

Is that your interpretation and perception of the term 'PC"? Oddly, that unigue definiton has never crossed my mind.

I think that definition is a reflection of your own perception, not mine.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    ryan198 wrote:
    On the flipside the c-word is a deragotory term toward those who hold the power in our society. As such, its use doesn't undermine or force them to relinquish any real power, so it doens't hold the same cache of hate. At the same time that doesn't make its use right, it is, however, different in e/affect.

I always thought the C-word was something else!!! :eek:

Anyway, I don't think Cracker has anywhere NEAR the racism factor is N__r, in my white opinion.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    When it's not really respect, rather, turning a blind-eye of hypocritical sensitivities to one group of people and making excuses and justifications for their behavior. Which in my opinion is not respect, but feigning pity.

Hard working, self-respecting black people don't want your pity or excuses. They want respect and equality. Making excuses for black performers who have gone on very similar, non-scripted tirades against white people, and condemning a white performer for the very same behavior; is embarrassing, shameful and disrespectful to both whites and blacks.
    if you read my previous responses I said neither were right, but there is a definite degree of difference between the n-word and the c-word...it's pretty difficult to argue that there isnt.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    what are you talking about?

I'm talking about "Right vs. Wrong".

In case you haven't been paying attention over the last two decades, PC and overly-PC attitudes and mindsets have often distorted, twisted and destroyed the notion of "Right vs. Wrong".
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    This thread has certainly gained a life of his own...

Good ole Kramer made some terrible racist remarks that were hurtful, hateful, and uncalled for..and those that which to 'fight back' by not going to see his shows, buy his merchandise, or watch any show or movie with him in it, more power to you.

That being said, it is true that the exact opposite of this encounter would have been met by a resounding..."Oh, just get over it cracker, you have had the power for years and have enslaved the black race, so shut up and deal with it" That's just a paraphrase. ;)

IN an effort to make up for a past of wrongdoings, we are all to willing to except hurtful, hateful and uncalled for remarks. Why? We are willing to expect less from some people (or let them get away with more, depending on how you look at it)...why?

If we are truly going to turn the corner and be 'color-blind', we need to stop making excuses for terrible behavior and comments, regardless who they come from.

And I am not refering to a comedy routine that pokes fun at sterotypes, etc...because they are generally truly poking fun at the people that place those sterotypes on others. But, there are plenty of examples outside of that where someone crosses the line at the expense of another race...and for what? A cheap laugh? C'mon, people need to grow up and come up with some better, more intelligent comedy.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    \

As far as I can tell, I never claimed he provided me with a great service.

He merely proved a point (a double standard or hypocrisy) I was already aware of. A very profound point.

....and the posts in this thread by the overly-PCers are driving the point home, for me. Mission accomplished.

Explain the profound revelation concerning the double standard.

Why shouldn't society permit a black person to use a descriptive/derogatory term that they have been labeled with but then object to white people who want to use that same term to describe black people?

Give me something better than "if they are doing it we should be able to as well" argument.
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~ Upcoming 2024  TBD...
  • Options

Good ole Kramer made some terrible racist remarks that were hurtful, hateful, and uncalled for..and those that which to 'fight back' by not going to see his shows, buy his merchandise, or watch any show or movie with him in it, more power to you.

That being said, it is true that the exact opposite of this encounter would have been met by a resounding..."Oh, just get over it cracker, you have had the power for years and have enslaved the black race, so shut up and deal with it" That's just a paraphrase. ;)

IN an effort to make up for a past of wrongdoings, we are all to willing to except hurtful, hateful and uncalled for remarks. Why? We are willing to expect less from some people (or let them get away with more, depending on how you look at it)...why?

If we are truly going to turn the corner and be 'color-blind', we need to stop making excuses for terrible behavior and comments, regardless who they come from.

And I am not refering to a comedy routine that pokes fun at sterotypes, etc...because they are generally truly poking fun at the people that place those sterotypes on others. But, there are plenty of examples outside of that where someone crosses the line at the expense of another race...and for what? A cheap laugh? C'mon, people need to grow up and come up with some better, more intelligent comedy.
    I don't disagree, but you have to accept that the n-word has resulted in much more pain and agony than any racial sterotype against white people...that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

I agree that we need to turn the corner, but that can only be done when those who were the victims of the terrible comments in the past want to do so......it is not up to those who made the comments to decide when it is the right time.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    I don't disagree, but you have to accept that the n-word has resulted in much more pain and agony than any racial sterotype against white people...that's all I'm saying.

That is true...never said any different. It is weird that the only times you'll hear that word anymore is straight outta a racist jerk's mouth and out of most young african-americans' mouths.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    if you read my previous responses I said neither were right, but there is a definite degree of difference between the n-word and the c-word...it's pretty difficult to argue that there isnt.

Hmmmmm.....when you think about the origins of the word "cracker" and how it was utilized both in the past and in current times and realize that a large majority of white people don't practice racism or even think of black people being anyone other than just another human being. Why would being associated with and compared to white slave masters who cracked whips on slaves, be less offensive to white people?

If someone started calling you " Dehmer " (in reference to Jeffrey Dahmer ) would you consider that insulting or not?

Do you have any relation or similarity to Jeffrey Dahmer?

Do white people of today have any direct relation or responsibility to what those slave masters did, all those years ago?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I agree that we need to turn the corner, but that can only be done when those who were the victims of the terrible comments in the past want to do so......it is not up to those who made the comments to decide when it is the right time.

How many people are still alive that owned a slave or was a slave?

I don't hold you accountable for the sins of your father, or mother, or brother, or etc.

I know it sounds far more simple than it is, but it's the only way.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    That is true...never said any different. It is weird that the only times you'll hear that word anymore is straight outta a racist jerk's mouth and out of most young african-americans' mouths.
    I took a class last semester on Marginality and Pop Culture and watched two black women argue this point, and I can see both reasons why it is and why it should not be used by those who are in the minority group. For the older woman it represented a word that has been used for hate, hurt, and power over her contemporaries, whereas for the young woman she said it didn't mean any of that to her, that it was about respect, and friendship. The whole point is that nobody truly owns the meaning of a word, but the way Michael Richards and sometimes black rap artists/comedians use it, connotes the first meaning, whereas there are other times when people use it it means the latter. Personally, I feel it should never be used, but I am not the one who should decide when and where it shouldn't in terms of using at a respectful word. If, however, I saw someone like Michael Richards saying it like that then I'd be pretty pissed...sorry if that's overly-PC but I think that's right.
  • Options
    How many people are still alive that owned a slave or was a slave?

I don't hold you accountable for the sins of your father, or mother, or brother, or etc.

I know it sounds far more simple than it is, but it's the only way.

Of course you can't hold people accountable now for slavery, but the fact is, most white people still get more advantages then other ethnic groups, so in a sense, minorities are still not afforded the same rights as whitey. Thus, until there is more equality, the past will always haunt us.
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    NMyTree wrote:
    Apparently the black guy isn't much above the very same thing, as Michael Richards, which Infuriated him (the black guy). Proven by his "cracker" slur.

As always with the overly-sensitive, vomit-inducing, over-the-top PCers .......black, hispanic (or anyone) can spit out racist slurs and concepts on a regular basis, and that's okay. A white guy does it and it's the end of the world.

Where's Janet Jackson's nipple when the country needs another distraction?:rolleyes:
    You know being a *ahem* person of color who listens to Public Enemy and Pearl Jam in the same sitting, I'll be the first one to point out the double standards in the vein of race and culture. I'm just logical that way.

But I dare you or anyone else to defend "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Yeah....try.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    You know being a *ahem* person of color who listens to Public Enemy and Pearl Jam in the same sitting, I'll be the first one to point out the double standards in the vein of race and culture. I'm just logical that way.

But I dare you or anyone else to defend "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Yeah....try.

I back Dharma on this!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

but perhaps they're not even trying to turn the corner. im sorry, but by sitting in the balcony and being loud, obnoxious, and heckling, you're kinda playing up to the old stereotype of the... what was the word... minstrel shows or whatever? the jovial, loud-mouthed black guy who can't be serious. perhaps this guy's behavior was just as sterotypical as michael richards.

not that what he said was appropriate. he was way out of line and should simply have had the jackass removed. but id hardly hold this guy up to be some sort of an tragically innocent victim of the oppression of african-americans.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Hmmmmm.....when you think about the origins of the word "cracker" and how it was utilized both in the past and in current times and realize that a large majority of white people don't practice racism or even think of black people being anyone other than just another human being. Why would being associated with and compared to white slave masters who cracked whips on slaves, be less offensive to white people?
    First of all I disagree that there is a large majority of white people who don't practice racism. I think a large majority of white people do practice racism both explicitly (through the things they do, say, etc.) and/or implicitly (through the things we choose to watch, listen to, whom to cheer for and why, etc.). Just because black people can buy the same stuff white people can, does not mean that a history of inequity has been vanquished. How else do you explain differences in education, poverty, jail, and death rates? Is it genetics? If it's genetics how do you determine race? The Human Genome Project sure hasn't figured out how to...

Further to more directly answer your question(s) being called a "cracker" as in a slaveowner, as in the person who held all the power in the situation, as in the decendents of whom run our government today (Trent Lott especially), is clearly not the same as being called a "nigger" as in the people who didn't hold the power in the situation, as in the people whose decendents go to run down public schools because "crackers" and their ideologies still pervade our society.

Does this make you one, or does it make it ok to call you one...NO...but it's not the same, you can't even pretend that it is.

Secondly, Dahmer, and Cracker are two different words with historically different meanings. To be called a Dahmer would probably just make me laugh because I wouldn't quite understand its use on or toward me, which would be the total opposite of being called a "cracker". The latter would definitely upset me, because I try to be respectful to all people. At the same time I would definitely not equate it with being called "nigger" because there is a difference in power implied in both words that cannot be equated...sorry it just can't.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Of course you can't hold people accountable now for slavery, but the fact is, most white people still get more advantages then other ethnic groups, so in a sense, minorities are still not afforded the same rights as whitey. Thus, until there is more equality, the past will always haunt us.

You cannot make up for that by bringing other people down. That is unexceptable...it was wrong the first time around.

ANyhow, it will always haunt us because it seems most people want it to always haunt us
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    shmapshmap Posts: 359
    not that what he said was appropriate. he was way out of line and should simply have had the jackass removed. but id hardly hold this guy up to be some sort of an tragically innocent victim of the oppression of african-americans.

I don't think that's what anyone is trying to do here. Richards is absolutely the focus.
  • Options
    You cannot make up for that by bringing other people down. That is unexceptable...it was wrong the first time around.

ANyhow, it will always haunt us because it seems most people want it to always haunt us
    So when you try to bring deserving people up through things like Affirmative Action, then that's ok? I'm guessing you will say not, and if you bring up about the kid in California who didn't make it into law school b/c a few lower scoring black kids got in before him make sure you bring up the 8 white legacy students who made it in too...you know the one's we never hear about.
  • Options
    but perhaps they're not even trying to turn the corner. im sorry, but by sitting in the balcony and being loud, obnoxious, and heckling, you're kinda playing up to the old stereotype of the... what was the word... minstrel shows or whatever? the jovial, loud-mouthed black guy who can't be serious. perhaps this guy's behavior was just as sterotypical as michael richards.

I agree, heckling isn't a smart idea, 'specially when a quick-witted comic is onstage.......did the hecklers start the racial comments, or did M Richards?
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    So when you try to bring deserving people up through things like Affirmative Action, then that's ok? I'm guessing you will say not, and if you bring up about the kid in California who didn't make it into law school b/c a few lower scoring black kids got in before him make sure you bring up the 8 white legacy students who made it in too...you know the one's we never hear about.

You go!

People who are against affirmative action are the last ones to admit that white kids have benefited for generations simply because they are white.....in general, their families have always had a built-in advantge, so there is nothing wrong with evening the score!
  • Options
    seanw1010 wrote:
    this is what i dont get, why would you have to abbreviate nigger and NOT cracker!
    i dont understand why blacks get so offender when people call them nigger, im pretty sure they know what they are by then

if a black calls a white a cracker, we dont get all upset and flip out

stop being so fucking sensitive!

BTW, i am not racist, many of my friends are black

oh, and how would you like it if someone came down to your work and heckled you??????(seinfeld remark)
    Crackers weren't slaves for 300 hundred years.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:

1) Affirmative action is not bringin people up, it's keeping others down based upon race.

2) Legacy's are discriminatory based upon the past history and should not be allowed (htough they are private institutions for the most part so that is a bit of a slippery slope).

When determining what candidate gets the position, whether it be being accepted into a school or a job, using color as a factor in any way is racist and counterproductive.

Anyhow, you don't really have a lot of success changing the situation by making sure a few black kids get into the law school they want to...there are others and those kids will more than likely succeed wherever they go once they are at that level, it's about getting to the kids. Getting to them before they think it's cool to not go to school...getting to the parents and the community so that they care about school and their kids progress in school. It's a lot harder then just letting some kid into the school of his/her choice.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:
    Crackers weren't slaves for 300 hundred years.

And that guy was never a slave and Kramer was never a slave owner...so what's your point? It's all bad.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    You go!

People who are against affirmative action are the last ones to admit that white kids have benefited for generations simply because they are white.....in general, their families have always had a built-in advantge, so there is nothing wrong with evening the score!

Except you aren't 'hurting' those kids that are getting the special treatment...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:

Yeah....try.

....and where in this thread am I defending Michael Richards?
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    First of all I disagree that there is a large majority of white people who don't practice racism. I think a large majority of white people do practice racism both explicitly (through the things they do, say, etc.) and/or implicitly (through the things we choose to watch, listen to, whom to cheer for and why, etc.). Just because black people can buy the same stuff white people can, does not mean that a history of inequity has been vanquished. How else do you explain differences in education, poverty, jail, and death rates? Is it genetics? If it's genetics how do you determine race? The Human Genome Project sure hasn't figured out how to....

What a crock of shit.

People watch and listen to whatever and whom ever they like and who's music, TV shows and movies appeal to them as an individual. I'm not going to watch on a regular basis a movie or listen to music on a regular basis by a black guy/girl just to be PC or out of fear of being considered a racist ......if I don't watch or listen.

People try out and give different music, TV and movies a chance. If it doesn't appeal to them, then they don't watch anymore.

Certainly, Black people won't watch or listen to some white people just for the sake of being PC or avoiding the racist label

It's personal perference and personal taste. Interestingly, white teenage boys are the biggest fans and consumer niche for black rappers and hip-hoppers.

You live in a fantasy land.

Black people in most scenarios have more opportunities and chances for education and financial support, through affirmative action and other racist programs and institutions. Are you even living in the same country and time as I am?

You may want to do some unbiased research on the things you mention. Because your current alleged facts, are in fact, not accurate at all.