Options

Atheism, not religion, is the real force behind the mass murders of history

Comments

• Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    Cosmo wrote:
    "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work".
    [Adolph Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936]

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . we need believing people".
    [Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933, from a speech made during negotiations leading to the Nazi-Vatican Concordant of 1933]

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exposed".
    [Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922]
    Hitler really believed his actions were justified by his religious faith. Like it or not, Hitler was a Christian (Catholic). Pretending he is not, for the sake of solidifying your point in a debate, negates your arguement altogether.
    Chalk up 6 million on the 'Religion is Responsible' side.
    i was thinking about hitler right when i read the title...
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Just wondering why you would apply your comparison first to those in Washington and London rather than to those in Tehran and Damascus.

Simply to stress my point.
  • Options
    God is just a tool, sorry don't want to hurt somebody but from times ago, man is using god, the bible, the coran, jesus, mohammed to justify hisself, his acting and his fears. Who said to the to germans of the third Reich that they were acting in the name of god ? Who tells the arabian kamikaze that if they kill themself and a few more in the name of Allah that there are 99 virgins waiting for him ? Why were the cruisades in the name of God ? If you want people to do something cruel tell him that it is in the name of God.
    I'm a thief, I'm a liar
    that's my church I sing in the choir
    Hallelujah
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I appreciate many of those sentiments. However, I can't find any reason to postulate, nevermind believe that a "God" of any sort exists. I accept it's possible there is a God, only because there is so much we don't know about the universe and the meaning of existance. However, based on what we do know (or what I know about what we all know) it doesn't seem reasonable to me to think that a God exists. However, when I witness many of the amazing aspects of nature, it does make me want to capitalize Nature, and revere it as a "God".
    I guess.. for me... personally... I WANT God to exist. This does not mean that He does exist... I just want there to be someting greater than us, highest form of the Ape Family, living on a tiny blue rock, circling a median sized star in a medium sized galaxy.
    I find it in Nature and I equate Nature and God as one... just another in a long line of different names for the same thing... God, Allah, Yahweh, Nature... it's all the same, to me.
    I know how insignificant we are in the big picture... and I know how special and unique we are at the same time. I want to get to the point where we quit arguing about the Name in which we call Him and who is closer to God because of their personal beliefs and simply accept Him and His gifts.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    People the real force behind the mass murders of history.. and we like to have scapegoats.
  • Options
    Atheists want to achieve a Utopia where the disabled are pushed out of the way. Right. And I suppose God didn't intend some people to be disabled?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    Atheists want to achieve a Utopia where the disabled are pushed out of the way. Right. And I suppose God didn't intend some people to be disabled?
    Um... this discussion is taking place on the planet, Earth.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    People the real force behind the mass murders of history.. and we like to have scapegoats.
    People under the influence of religion... from Crusaders to Terrorist bombers... they are doing it in the name of their god.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    I don't believe in Atheism...
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Cosmo wrote:
    "I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord's work".
    [Adolph Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936]

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . we need believing people".
    [Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933, from a speech made during negotiations leading to the Nazi-Vatican Concordant of 1933]

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exposed".
    [Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922]
    Hitler really believed his actions were justified by his religious faith. Like it or not, Hitler was a Christian (Catholic). Pretending he is not, for the sake of solidifying your point in a debate, negates your arguement altogether.
    Chalk up 6 million on the 'Religion is Responsible' side.

Hitler was a sick, demented fuck. Nothing in any religion or faith system endorses, teaches or advocates any of his actions or delusional ramblings. Religion is in absolutely no way responsible for Hitler's actions. The fact that he was an insane, twisted fuck, is.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Hitler was a sick, demented fuck. Nothing in any religion or faith system endorses, teaches or advocates any of his actions or delusional ramblings. Religion is in absolutely no way responsible for Hitler's actions. The fact that he was an insane, twisted fuck, is.

I dont think that was his point man. He just turned the dudes entire article to shit. He was simply showing that rather than accusing atheism of causing the deaths of 6 million people, you shouuld get your facts straight and then use your common sense to determine that you can't blame either for a dude like hitler.

(I think anyway)
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569

Say what?

I guess us Atheists have to visit churches and educate people on Atheism.

There is no Atheist doctrine, there is no Atheist church and no Atheist Bible. Besides denying the existance of God, there is nothing to Atheism.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Anyway you slice it... Hitler beleives he was Christian. Who is to say whether or not he was? If someone questions your belief as a Christian... does that negate your religion? NO. Does Hitler being a Christian nullify the religion? NO. I'm just tired or the false statements that pins Hitler to Atheism. He believed in God and his Lord... that is not what Atheists believe.
    I know it's not a pretty picture, but Hitler believed in Christianity... like it or not. Pretending he wasn't (such as many Christians do by claiming he was an Atheist) does not change the facts. Read some of his other statements on his religious beliefs... he said them, not me.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Say what?

I guess us Atheists have to visit churches and educate people on Atheism.

There is no Atheist doctrine, there is no Atheist church and no Atheist Bible. Besides denying the existance of God, there is nothing to Atheism.
    I think part of the Atheist doctrine is to kill people in wheelchairs. Apparently, Atheists hate wheelchairs.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Anyway you slice it... Hitler beleives he was Christian. Who is to say whether or not he was? If someone questions your belief as a Christian... does that negate your religion? NO. Does Hitler being a Christian nullify the religion? NO. I'm just tired or the false statements that pins Hitler to Atheism. He believed in God and his Lord... that is not what Atheists believe.
    I know it's not a pretty picture, but Hitler believed in Christianity... like it or not. Pretending he wasn't (such as many Christians do by claiming he was an Atheist) does not change the facts. Read some of his other statements on his religious beliefs... he said them, not me.

Mein Kampf would probably be a good source of finding out Hitler's intentions and beliefs. I've never read it though.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I think part of the Atheist doctrine is to kill people in wheelchairs. Apparently, Atheists hate wheelchairs.

Well that's news to me, I guess I've let down my brethren. :(
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well that's news to me, I guess I've let down my brethren. :(
    Do them right... go out and kick over an old lady in a wheelchair... like your Savior wants you to.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    If someone questions your belief as a Christian... does that negate your religion? NO. quote]

No, but if i behave in a manner that not only is unsupportrd by scripture, but is, in fact, condemned by scripture, it cannot be said my faith is responsible for those actions. It simply cannot be said.
    Furthermore, claiming to be Christian does not make one such. This is also true of Hitler. Claiming to be Christian means nothing. It certainly doesn't make him one. His actions indicate otherwise.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    No, but if i behave in a manner that not only is unsupportrd by scripture, but is, in fact, condemned by scripture, it cannot be said my faith is responsible for those actions. It simply cannot be said.
    Furthermore, claiming to be Christian does not make one such. This is also true of Hitler. Claiming to be Christian means nothing. It certainly doesn't make him one. His actions indicate otherwise.

6.5 billion people in the world
    6.5 billion belief systems
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    If someone questions your belief as a Christian... does that negate your religion? NO.

Again, who's to say? Who is in charge of saying who is a good Christian and who isn't?
    And all that forgiveness that murderers find behind the walls... that salvation and forgiveness of their sins as long as they truely seek redemption and accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior... that is the promise of Christianity, right? Hope. Forgiveness. Redemption. Salvation.
    And what about the Atheist that lives his entire life with true kindness and generosity and love for humans... what is his fate, if he does not accept Jesus as his personal savoir, yet follows the teachings of Christ as a Man?
    And if it is true... if Hitler accepted Jesus and asked for forgivness and salvation and truely felt it in his heart... Hitler is in Heaven and the 6 million Jews are in the Lake of Fire. It does not make sense to me.
    Remember... Hitler didn't spark the ovens or pull the triggers on anyone. He was the leader, but he was not the one who actually killed anyone. We know all those lives fall on his shoulders because he was the one in charge... but, is that a technicallity? We can find him guilty in Man's court... but, is that how it works in Heaven?
    I know it's a tough pill to swallow... Hitler as a Christian, but you have to accept it because it is the truth. And the truth is not always happy and shiny... it is too often, cold and harsh and terrible. But, you have to accept it. Denying it will only weaken you. It is easier and cheaper to pretend Hitler was a godless atheist monster... but, that's not the truth.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

I know it's a tough pill to swallow... Hitler as a Christian, but you have to accept it because it is the truth. And the truth is not always happy and shiny... it is too often, cold and harsh and terrible. But, you have to accept it. Denying it will only weaken you. It is easier and cheaper to pretend Hitler was a godless atheist monster... but, that's not the truth.
    Fact is i don't know what Hitler held in his heart regarding God and whatnot (again his WORDS mean absolutely nothing). My point, is you simply cannot blame Christianity for the holocaust. You just can't. Regardless of what hitler believed. This is what you are ignorantly trying to do and you are full of fucking shit. Period.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Why is i when a religious person does something bad it's because of their beliefs, but when a non-religious person does something bad we don't blame their lack of belief?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Ahnimus wrote:
    6.5 billion people in the world
    6.5 billion belief systems
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    that was possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read. Joseph Stalin was a single example of a psychotic person taking control of a vast nation, the same applies for Hitler. How can you pin that on atheism?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Um, I think being psychopaths, might have been a bigger force than religion/atheism with mass murderers. From Hitler and Staling to Dahmer and Gacy, I'm not real sure that what they did on Sunday had a big impact on them while they killed people. Shit, I think Gacy was even heavily involved in his local church.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    "religious people are 'happier' than non religious people."

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    "Men over the age of 65 are the most happy."

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    "men between the ages of 18-29 are the least happy"

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    "men between the ages of 18-29 are the least happy"

That could be true. I'm 33 and definitely not 'least happy'. But then again, I am stoned.
  • Options
    That could be true. I'm 33 and definitely not 'least happy'. But then again, I am stoned.

Happy happy.

ummm. i forgot what this topic was about.

I think you might understand.