europe - grim prospect ahead?

Comments

• know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    danmac wrote:
    Another fucking bible basher. I'm close minded for not believing in an 1800 year old text that was writeen purely as a means for the Roman Empire to control the midle east, to stave off rebellion, to neuter the Jewish faith, years after the 'fact' happened?

Jesus? He was an actual historical figure, but nothing more than a pagan heretic, a mouthy rebel jew, at best.

I believe in reality, in science, in logic, in humanity, in all the things the majority of this world believe in.

Not magic, not miracles, not dogma, not being told what to do in the guise of 'faith'.

Tell me, Mother Theresa, taking from that post you are a committed christian, so are al other religions wrong too? Islam, Hindu, Jewish, Buddhists, are they al wrong because they dont believe in what you believe?

Therein lies one of the many hypocrisies.

I'm not Mother Theresa. I'm very far from it. I know that man has fallibilities while you seem to think that man is supreme. You're the one with the God complex, not me.

I chuckle at your inordinate amount of faith in science considering that science has been proven no more right than the bible.

Your comments about the church and Jesus and the bible are extremely humorous as well. I take it that you stumbled upon some enlightenment that has "proven" your theories? If not, they are no more valid than those of a religious person.

And yes, I believe the other religions are wrong. If I believed they were right, then I would belong to them.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • They should get experts to give lectures in high schools about what will happen on the job market in the near future. First comprehensive lessons about the future of the economy i heard in university when i had already decided my future career. They should talk about this when the decisions about the future are made not afterwards.

It's the same with sex and drugs education,many kids have already smoked pot and had some kind of a sexual experience when they are educated about the issues at home or school.

Kids sitting in front of the computer realize that they can make web pages and graphics easily and think they can make a career out of it without realizing that they can use the same talent in some other job that actually can earn them a living.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    usa and european countries ar not the same thing.

usa is the third most populous country inthe world and even after so many non-white immigrants, they account for maybe 10% of the population, if that.

if smaller european countries took in that many people, they would collapse or at least their demographics would get skewed permanently.
    The color on the skin shouldn't matter. Government has a role in helping people assimilate.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • And of course having children isn't a burden but modern women also want to work and they have ambitions to show their skills outside home too so the number of children in a modern family is much lower than before. They haven't stopped having babies but aren't having as many as before.

My mom has 8 siblings and dad 7 but i'm an only child and only a few of my friends has more than 2-3 siblings.

After the war when men returned home there was a big baby boom here for years so it has made the population growth uneven.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    know1 wrote:
    I chuckle at your inordinate amount of faith in science considering that science has been proven no more right than the bible.

You can't prove anything in the Bible. You can prove science.

And yes, I believe the other religions are wrong. If I believed they were right, then I would belong to them.
    know1 wrote:
    danmac wrote:
    I believe in love, hate, good, evil, I believe in man, I believe in the earth, I believe in all that I can see, all that I feel. I dont need a false belief to get me through a life that is hard enough already. I only need me.

In other words, you are extremely close minded and only mentally able to grasp the concrete things you have personally experienced.

Firstly, love, hate, good and evil are not concrete things. Secondly, you call someone extremely close minded, but you just called everyone who is not a Christian wrong. Talk about an open mind.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    1970RR wrote:
    Unless you have expensive social-welfare system that relies on new taxpayers for funding.

if you've got more jobs than people doing them you have less unemployment and less need for social welfare systems.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    my2hands wrote:
    the belief in a "greater power" is a weakness... fable's and fantasy's that are blindly accepted as truth by weak human beings... it is OK because i am weak too in my own way...

i see faith in a higher power as humans way of supporting its belief that we are advanced... we cannot imagine that we evolved from lower beings...our arrogance makes us believe that we are created by an "all-mighty god" to justify our arrogant view of ourself and our place in the world/universe

this subject can be very deep and causes me to drift off into hours of contemplation... so i do thank organized religion for that :)

ps... who doesnt know the catholic religion is a COMPLETE FRAUD?

You are no better than the 'bible beaters' you profess to hate and to be so much smarter then.

Anyhow, I think that Europe grim prospects can be summed up much better in their unemployment rates than whether or not they believe in a god.
    hippiemom = goodness
    my2hands wrote:
    the belief in a "greater power" is a weakness... fable's and fantasy's that are blindly accepted as truth by weak human beings... it is OK because i am weak too in my own way...

i see faith in a higher power as humans way of supporting its belief that we are advanced... we cannot imagine that we evolved from lower beings...our arrogance makes us believe that we are created by an "all-mighty god" to justify our arrogant view of ourself and our place in the world/universe

this subject can be very deep and causes me to drift off into hours of contemplation... so i do thank organized religion for that :)

i believe in a greater power and evolution. can your mind wrap itself around that contradiction? dont go confusing all faith or belief in higher powers with Catholic doctrine.
    my2hands wrote:

See - I see it far more arrogant to believe that humans are the supreme being.

Collin wrote:
    You can't prove anything in the Bible. You can prove science.

Give me one example of something that science has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt? There is none. All they can do is observe and recognize patterns based upon limited human experience. Tomorrow, new information could be presented that renders their theories incorrect. A scientist would never profess that something has been completely proven.
    Collin wrote:
    Firstly, love, hate, good and evil are not concrete things. Secondly, you call someone extremely close minded, but you just called everyone who is not a Christian wrong. Talk about an open mind.

No - I didn't say they were wrong. I said I BELIEVED that their beliefs are wrong. I left it open to the possibility that if something changed and I then believed they were correct, I would convert.

i believe in a greater power and evolution. can your mind wrap itself around that contradiction? dont go confusing all faith or belief in higher powers with Catholic doctrine.

I believe in evolution as well. You cannot look at the species of this earth and deny that evolution occurs. The question is whether something is in control of it or not.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    You are no better than the 'bible beaters' you profess to hate and to be so much smarter then.

Anyhow, I think that Europe grim prospects can be summed up much better in their unemployment rates than whether or not they believe in a god.

i have never claimed to be "better" than anyone... and i certainly never said i "hated" any bible beaters?... and i have never claimed to be "smarter" than anyone or anything so please stop putting words in my mouth. Thank You

i said that a belief in a "higher being" or "God" is a weakness... i also admitted to have many weaknesses myself... i am capable of self-reflection

this is why religion is a subject i do not discuss, because people over-react
    There is a Marker,
    No one sees it cause of sand
    That has covered over
    All the messages it kept
    From misunderstanding,
    What Original Truth was
    And now expanding
    In a faith, but not in love...

What went wrong?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Seeing visions of
    Falling up somehow.
    Oh do come down
    With the living, let
    What is living love.
    So unforgiving, yet
    Needing forgiveness first...

God, what do you say?

Those undecided
    Needn't have faith to be free.
    And those misguided,
    There was a plan for them to be...
    Now you got both sides
    Claiming 'killing in god's name'.
    But god is nowhere
    To be found, conveniently...

What goes on?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Walk the bridges be-
    -fore you burn them down!
    Do come round
    With the living, let
    What is living love.
    Unforgiving, yet

God, what do you say?
    God, what do you say?

I feel a sickness...
    A sickness coming over me
    Like watching freedom
    Being sucked straight out to sea
    And the solution?
    Well, from me far would it be
    But the delusion
    Is feeling dangerous to me

What goes wrong?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Seeing visions of
    Falling up somehow.
    Oh, do come down
    With the living, let
    What is living love,
    Unforgiving...yet
    Needing forgiveness first?

Oh, what do you say?
    God, what do you say?

What do you say?

Calling out, calling out
    Calling out, calling out
    know1 wrote:
    Give me one example of something that science has proven beyond any shadow of a doubt? There is none. All they can do is observe and recognize patterns based upon limited human experience. Tomorrow, new information could be presented that renders their theories incorrect. A scientist would never profess that something has been completely proven.

Water freezes at 32 degrees (or 0 degrees Celsius) and boils at 212 degrees (100 degrees Celsius).

No - I didn't say they were wrong. I said I BELIEVED that their beliefs are wrong. I left it open to the possibility that if something changed and I then believed they were correct, I would convert.

He believes all those things he mentioned, does that make him close minded?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    know1 wrote:
    I believe in evolution as well. You cannot look at the species of this earth and deny that evolution occurs. The question is whether something is in control of it or not.

in my opinion there is no "something" controlling us, the world, or evolution...

yes i can "wrap my mind" around that concept...just dont be offended if i dont believe it

i am not confucing "all faith or belief in higher powers with Catholic Doctrine"... the article mentioned the catholic church several times... and it just happens to be the biggest, and finest, example of a fraudulent religion that is based strictly on population control and $$$

ps...i love a good fairly tale ;)
    my2hands wrote:
    There is a Marker,
    No one sees it cause of sand
    That has covered over
    All the messages it kept
    From misunderstanding,
    What Original Truth was
    And now expanding
    In a faith, but not in love...

What went wrong?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Seeing visions of
    Falling up somehow.
    Oh do come down
    With the living, let
    What is living love.
    So unforgiving, yet

God, what do you say?

Those undecided
    Needn't have faith to be free.
    And those misguided,
    There was a plan for them to be...
    Now you got both sides
    Claiming 'killing in god's name'.
    But god is nowhere
    To be found, conveniently...

What goes on?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Walk the bridges be-
    -fore you burn them down!
    Do come round
    With the living, let
    What is living love.
    Unforgiving, yet

God, what do you say?
    God, what do you say?

I feel a sickness...
    A sickness coming over me
    Like watching freedom
    Being sucked straight out to sea
    And the solution?
    Well, from me far would it be
    But the delusion
    Is feeling dangerous to me

What goes wrong?
    Walking tightrope high
    Over moral ground.
    Seeing visions of
    Falling up somehow.
    Oh, do come down
    With the living, let
    What is living love,
    Unforgiving...yet
    Needing forgiveness first?

Oh, what do you say?
    God, what do you say?

What do you say?

Calling out, calling out
    Calling out, calling out

To me, that song demonstrates a belief in God and an aversion to those who profess that belief but whose actions contradict that belief.

my2hands wrote:
    yes i can "wrap my mind" around that concept...just dont be offended if i dont believe it

i am not confucing "all faith or belief in higher powers with Catholic Doctrine"... the article mentioned the catholic church several times... and it just happens to be the biggest, and finest, example of a fraudulent religion that is based strictly on population control and $$$

ps...i love a good fairly tale ;)

im not offended by whether or not you believe it. i am offended by your contention that i am somehow "weaker" than you for believing there is something bigger than me out there. for the record, im not christian either.

it's odd, i recognize a lot of my own former thinking in your rhetoric and cant help wondering if i used to come across as arrogant and pompous as you do.
    Collin wrote:
    Water freezes at 32 degrees (or 0 degrees Celsius) and boils at 212 degrees (100 degrees Celsius).

That has not been proven conclusively. It is only a theory that holds true under the information and conditions we know today. A scientist will tell you the same.

know1 wrote:
    That has not been proven conclusively. It is only a theory that holds true under the information and conditions we know today. A scientist will tell you the same.

Yes, but today under the conditions we know, and that is all we know, we can prove this. I can heat up water and say it will boil at 212 degrees, you and everyone else in the world knows it's true.

So basically the Bible is a theory that doesn't hold under the information and conditions we know today. The fun part about being a believer is, you can say; god did it, god made it happen... And I can't, no one can, say you're wrong because no one can prove god doesn't exist.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    i am offended by your contention that i am somehow "weaker" than you for believing there is something bigger than me out there.

i never said that anyone is weaker than me...i said that I BELIEVE it is a weakness... and i admitted and continue to admit to have many weaknesses

thank you

ps...you guys are becoming experts in putting words in others mouth
    my2hands wrote:
    i never said that anyone is weaker than me...i said that I BELIEVE it is a weakness... and i admitted and continue to admit to have many weaknesses

thank you

ps...you guys are becoming experts in putting words in others mouth

fair enough. i BELIEVE you're a pompous ass for making a sweepingly judgmental statement like that.

it's odd, i recognize a lot of my own former thinking in your rhetoric and cant help wondering if i used to come across as arrogant and pompous as you do.

i truly hope that i am not coming across as pompous or arrogant...i am just stating MY OPINION!... that i feel that a belief in a higher being or purpose is a human weakness... just like drug addiction is a weakness

we all have weakness (and flaws)...it is the truly strong that can admit to them
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    perhaps that is why i loved living in prague so much. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

fair enough. i BELIEVE you're a pompous ass for making a sweepingly judgmental statement like that.

i can live with that... and i stand by opinion...i am not attempting to put anyone down, or their beliefs...i could care less what someone believes in... i am just stating how i feel

once the human race can admit its weakness' we can start to evolve

i just think it is cute for adults to believe in fairy tales and metaphors as fact ;)
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Europe is a bit of a joke really.Most people I know mock you if say you believe in God and not because they have thought about it and come to the conclusion that there is no God,but because it is accepted in society nowadays that anyone who believes in God is a nutcase who believes they are morally superior to everyone else.It's just ridiculous when people suggest that Religion is created to control and exploit people.If they took the time to read the Bible I'm sure they would have a lot less criticisms of it.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    my2hands wrote:
    i truly hope that i am not coming across as pompous or arrogant...i am just stating MY OPINION!... that i feel that a belief in a higher being or purpose is a human weakness... just like drug addiction is a weakness

we all have weakness (and flaws)...it is the truly strong that can admit to them

dont get me started on drug addiction. but yes, you do come across like that.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    my2hands wrote:

I think the truly strong admit to their weaknesses but don't point out others.

As I tell my son that he can't make himself bigger by making someone else smaller. He can only make him seem bigger by making someone else bigger. But in the end he can only be who he is and that it's up to hm if he lives up to that potential. And we allhave the potential to be more amazing than we imagine.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    surferdude wrote:
    I think the truly strong admit to their weaknesses but don't point out others.

As I tell my son that he can't make himself bigger by making someone else smaller. He can only make him seem bigger by making someone else bigger. But in the end he can only be who he is and that it's up to hm if he lives up to that potential. And we allhave the potential to be more amazing than we imagine.

that is truly beautiful, and something we all should aspire to...no matter what our belief system. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    know1 wrote:
    I'm not Mother Theresa. I'm very far from it. I know that man has fallibilities while you seem to think that man is supreme. You're the one with the God complex, not me.

Your comments about the church and Jesus and the bible are extremely humorous as well. I take it that you stumbled upon some enlightenment that has "proven" your theories? If not, they are no more valid than those of a religious person.

Science no more right than the bible?

Heads up folks, its another Waco survivor. Join the queue over there love, free tea and biscuits, behind onelonggong and the other one, the Doctor will be over shortly.

Can people like you really exist in the 21st century?

Whats next, earth is flat, stil centre of the cosmos? Or hasnt science proved that one to you yet?
    Big bang, Darwin? Names ring bells?
    Or did we come from the almighty in 6 days 6000 years ago?
    Martin Luther fought people like you 600 years ago.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!