Options

Stock market

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    static111 said:
    Saw our first glimpse of life below 20 this morning.  

Slight gain early now.

I would like for the markets to start going steady but that is a pipe dream.

So in Dow Theory these blips will have dramatic action on the workforce and life in general in 6 months from now.  My question is how much worse is this going to be in 6 months?

I seriously think the deck is stacked in a rich person's favor with times like this...
    It is stacked in their favor at all times. It just becomes easier to see in times like these. 
    I paid no mind to the stock market prior to 2008.  Since then I have become very interested in it.

Seems like a good way to get people to invest, lose their money, have people with money come in and buy cheap to reap the benefits of a poor market.

A lot more is clear to me now, that is correct @static111
    I think you can throw out many of the historical analogies for corrections, rebounds, cycles, etc.  The market will not recover until it's confident that the health crisis has abated and the supply chains will start to flow again.  Once that happens, it will price at least two quarters of contraction depending on when it thinks earnings will be back to normal.  
  • Options
    Buy Amazon, that's for sure. 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,813
    I bought the VXX a couple weeks ago. Basically buy into any vix ETF for the next few months.

I'm really fucking kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on TIVX back in mid-February when I felt the need to.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,124
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Slight gain early now.

So in Dow Theory these blips will have dramatic action on the workforce and life in general in 6 months from now.  My question is how much worse is this going to be in 6 months?

I seriously think the deck is stacked in a rich person's favor with times like this...
    It is stacked in their favor at all times. It just becomes easier to see in times like these. 
    I paid no mind to the stock market prior to 2008.  Since then I have become very interested in it.

Seems like a good way to get people to invest, lose their money, have people with money come in and buy cheap to reap the benefits of a poor market.

I think you can throw out many of the historical analogies for corrections, rebounds, cycles, etc.  The market will not recover until it's confident that the health crisis has abated and the supply chains will start to flow again.  Once that happens, it will price at least two quarters of contraction depending on when it thinks earnings will be back to normal.  
    2 quarters equals 6 months.  That is what you and Dow Theory think so I may still use it.  It's been right.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:

Slight gain early now.

2 quarters equals 6 months.  That is what you and Dow Theory think so I may still use it.  It's been right.
    I was speaking more of things like the dead cat bounce, cutting rates = surge, etc.  And two quarters is the mark now because you have March and April definitely affected.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,124
    Ahhh, dead cat bounce was Friday as far as I'm concerned.

Something I was curious about is the interest rates.  They are already as low as they are going to get.

When it's time to raise them, the problems we will get from that fiasco?!?

Thy hesitated in raising them all these years even though the economy was doing well.  I see this as the US never caring to try and balance a budget again and to just continue to print money.

I'm talking out loud and would enjoy some feedback from others.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ^ This why the cuts Fuckface has been making in lieu of what was a growing economy made zero fucking sense other than to try and prolong a perception for his re-election needs. So now when it came to legitimately slashing rates there's no where left to go. Fuck the perception of partisan politics, but this is what you get when you vote for a dipshit.
  • Options
    Ahhh, dead cat bounce was Friday as far as I'm concerned.

Something I was curious about is the interest rates.  They are already as low as they are going to get.

When it's time to raise them, the problems we will get from that fiasco?!?

Thy hesitated in raising them all these years even though the economy was doing well.  I see this as the US never caring to try and balance a budget again and to just continue to print money.

I'm talking out loud and would enjoy some feedback from others.
    I have been very critical of the Fed and in the last 24 months, the administration for not raising interest rates.  You only have a few bullets to deal with a recession:  rates, stimulus, QE, tax cuts.  Trump used up the tax cuts and has been strong arming the fed on rates for the past two years.  Now we have fewer options.  
  • Options
    You don't run a deficit during a bull market.  In your personal life, you don't run up debt when finances are good, you do the opposite.  Annoying AF.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    static111 said:

Slight gain early now.

Absolutely true for the vast majority of times, interspersed with brief windows when the guillotines come out before everything goes back to normal. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    static111 said:

Slight gain early now.

Absolutely true for the vast majority of times, interspersed with brief windows when the guillotines come out before everything goes back to normal. 
    Fuck that Jacobin noise.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,999
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,409
    mickeyrat said:
    Last thing I’d plan on doing at this time is taking on debt.  But, you know people need to buy a boat.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    Last thing I’d plan on doing at this time is taking on debt.  But, you know people need to buy a boat.
    Well if the banks don’t make money they will fail and we will have to bail them out again, so may as well take on unbearable loads of personal debt for the economy....
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Today looks like a rough one again.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    Yup
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    mrussel1 said:

I have a feeling you'll be able to copy and paste that line for quite some time.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have a feeling you'll be able to copy and paste that line for quite some time.
    Probably.  That's the nature of a recession.  I heard this morning that unemployment benefit websites are crashing in numerous states.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Probably.  That's the nature of a recession.  I heard this morning that unemployment benefit websites are crashing in numerous states.  

Oh boy.  I can only imagine.  Feel terrible for so many people being impacted.  I have a friend who owns rental properties and has concerns that none of his tenants will be able to pay.  Many are hourly employees who don't have the necessary savings to weather the storm.  I know, I know.  I'm not crying a river for the guy who owns the rental properties and dismissing the folks that live in them.  Much more sympathy to those that can't go to work and put food on the table.  I'm just showcasing the ripple effect and how far and wide this impact is.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,342
    Damn 2020 sure seems like it’s on fire with no sign of a firefighter coming to rescue us! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh boy.  I can only imagine.  Feel terrible for so many people being impacted.  I have a friend who owns rental properties and has concerns that none of his tenants will be able to pay.  Many are hourly employees who don't have the necessary savings to weather the storm.  I know, I know.  I'm not crying a river for the guy who owns the rental properties and dismissing the folks that live in them.  Much more sympathy to those that can't go to work and put food on the table.  I'm just showcasing the ripple effect and how far and wide this impact is.
    100%.  It's all interconnected.  And while he may not go personally broke, think of all of the economic activity that he generates through his rentals and through his own spending that will be reduced.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:

100%.  It's all interconnected.  And while he may not go personally broke, think of all of the economic activity that he generates through his rentals and through his own spending that will be reduced.  

Exactly.  This impact is real though.  Many landlords have mortgages on these properties.  When they don't get rent checks, those payments still need to be made.  Not all of them have that kind of cash to make the payments on multiple properties for extended periods.  If some of these projected timelines regarding the virus are accurate, I just don't know how the global economy is going to recover.  It will happen somehow, in time, but I don't know how.
  • Options
    I'm telling ya - everyone should be taking advantage of the system as it's currently set up. Get in on the VIX action (UVX, VXX, TVIX) and make some money.
  • Options
    If the government wants to help they really need to put a moratorium on payments and other obligations.  This crisis gets worse if you just let banks foreclose and landlords kick renters out on the streets during a time of massive layoffs and business closures. Especially if the situation goes on for the 18 months some are projecting.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    If the government wants to help they really need to put a moratorium on payments and other obligations.  This crisis gets worse if you just let banks foreclose and landlords kick renters out on the streets during a time of massive layoffs and business closures. Especially if the situation goes on for the 18 months some are projecting.
    Banks are already working on modifications. They don't want to foreclose and sit on properties they can't move.  I know AMEX has already waived payment requirements for the next 30 days for their card products.  The others will follow suit soon enough.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm telling ya - everyone should be taking advantage of the system as it's currently set up. Get in on the VIX action (UVX, VXX, TVIX) and make some money.
    Ummm, most people are worried about paying bills and not spending their savings up in the face of economic crisis.  If you have money to invest, good for you, but don't think you are immune to a depression because you got in on the "X" action.  Your stock money won't buy you toilet paper from Costco lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Ummm, most people are worried about paying bills and not spending their savings up in the face of economic crisis.  If you have money to invest, good for you, but don't think you are immune to a depression because you got in on the "X" action.  Your stock money won't buy you toilet paper from Costco lol
    Of course, and not the point...or actually is the point. If you have some money sitting in an IRA that's totally getting fucked, take it out and put it in the anti-S&P.

Believe I've got enough heart if you want to talk about day-to-day human issues. I'm also sure there is a thread for that, but this one is in re: to the stock market. Just trying to talk about said stock market and investments.

Also, I have a bidet.  :) (<-- also holy shit what a smug response on my part)
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Banks are already working on modifications. They don't want to foreclose and sit on properties they can't move.  I know AMEX has already waived payment requirements for the next 30 days for their card products.  The others will follow suit soon enough.
    This is good news, hopefully they waive interest during this time as well
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Of course, and not the point...or actually is the point. If you have some money sitting in an IRA that's totally getting fucked, take it out and put it in the anti-S&P.

Believe I've got enough heart if you want to talk about day-to-day human issues. I'm also sure there is a thread for that, but this one is in re: to the stock market. Just trying to talk about said stock market and investments.

Also, I have a bidet.  :) (<-- also holy shit what a smug response on my part)
    I wish I knew enough to capitalize on the market being low, but whatever move I make will surely be the wrong one.
    We had a money market account sitting still for a long time because we don't know what we are doing, so we let our "financial advisor" invest it more actively last year.  Whoops.  If we would have waited until now to move it we would stand to ride the wave back up.  We are young, and assuming our business weathers this storm, we have time to let something grow.
    I don't have a bidet, but I do have a pond 🤷‍♂️
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    OMG.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'