• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Fun fact: Joe Biden doesn't own any stock
    How much does his wife own?
    I think what you meant to ask was, "how much has his wife recently sold?"

but here you go: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/documents/OGE278_2015_Biden.pdf

that took 10 seconds.  now you go find trumps'.  all of them.  melania, jr, gums, kush.  let's have a little transparency.
    Whataboutisms are great aren't they?

It's not a relevant question. Biden doesn't receive national security briefings.  He's a private citizen without special access.  It's completely different than Burr.  It's not even a whataboutism.  
    I merely asked a question.  That's all.  Didn't ask about Burr, or security briefings or any of that.

Just a question...
  • Options
    Do we see a + on the Friday today?

Would be nice to have some good news going into the weekend.
    Never mind...
    And we're up again!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,357
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

but here you go: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/documents/OGE278_2015_Biden.pdf

that took 10 seconds.  now you go find trumps'.  all of them.  melania, jr, gums, kush.  let's have a little transparency.

It's not a relevant question. Biden doesn't receive national security briefings.  He's a private citizen without special access.  It's completely different than Burr.  It's not even a whataboutism.  
    Feinstein, Inhoffe and Loeffler(sp?) out of georgia sold off too.....expulsion is in order, AND you lose your pension.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Feinstein, Inhoffe and Loeffler(sp?) out of georgia sold off too.....expulsion is in order, AND you lose your pension.....
    Let's not go full Jacobin here.  Whatever senate rules are in place for violating this should be adhered to, not some new set of punishments that make us feel better.  It's really critical that we continue to respect institutional rules and be level headed.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

I merely asked a question.  That's all.  Didn't ask about Burr, or security briefings or any of that.

Just a question...
    Pretty sure his wife isn't required to disclose such a thing.  Why do you care?  

Also, while Biden may not own actual equities, I'm fairly certain he would have a retirement plan that invests in the market.  

None of it is relevant to what Burr and the other did in their capacity to have access to inside information.  Burr took it even further by providing NC investors with information not publicly available.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Just a question...
    Pretty sure his wife isn't required to disclose such a thing.  Why do you care?  

Also, while Biden may not own actual equities, I'm fairly certain he would have a retirement plan that invests in the market.  

None of it is relevant to what Burr and the other did in their capacity to have access to inside information.  Burr took it even further by providing NC investors with information not publicly available.  
    I was curious, that;s why I asked.  Just curious.

It made me think of when Kerry was running and people gave him crap for owning Heinz stock.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Let's not go full Jacobin here.  Whatever senate rules are in place for violating this should be adhered to, not some new set of punishments that make us feel better.  It's really critical that we continue to respect institutional rules and be level headed.  
    well forgive my naivte in believing our elected officials shouldnt be smarmy fucking thieves. rules or not.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

tng: "whatabout biden's wife"

it's fine, i'll wait
    I said "how much" and then you turned it into a Trump discussion.

I'll wait too...
    here you go: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/documents/OGE278_2015_Biden.pdf

agai

I'll break it down. 
    I asked a question.
    You retorted and made it into a Trump discussion.
    I again reminded you that I asked "how much" not as it being a whataboutism but an actual question, I was curious.
    You then again posted the same link in thinking that I didn't understand the first one you sent.

We are all clear here now, yes?
    I directly answered your question, twice.  Maybe you didn't understand the first time.  And apparently not the second time either.  

here you go: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/documents/OGE278_2015_Biden.pdf

again
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

well forgive my naivte in believing our elected officials shouldnt be smarmy fucking thieves. rules or not.
    I"m saying that in time of crisis, it's that much more important to adhere to the rules that are established. I agree they shouldn't be thieves and agree that if they are insider trading, by definition, they should be prosecuted under the SEC rules and every punishment under the statute.  I don't believe in making up new ones.  
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

it's fine, i'll wait

I'll wait too...

agai

I'll break it down. 
    I asked a question.
    I again reminded you that I asked "how much" not as it being a whataboutism but an actual question, I was curious.
    You then again posted the same link in thinking that I didn't understand the first one you sent.

I directly answered your question, twice.  Maybe you didn't understand the first time.  And apparently not the second time either.  

again
    just fucking stop all the repetitive fucking bullshit already. goddamn man.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    Trend seems to be smart ass condescending remarks with a link to a website or a tweet. Good times here. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

it's fine, i'll wait

I'll wait too...

agai

I'll break it down. 
    I asked a question.

again
    just fucking stop all the repetitive fucking bullshit already. goddamn man.
    no.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    aaaaaand down again.

Man this day is rough.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777
    edited March 2020
    They had his back. Now he has their backs. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    Kat said:
    They had his back. Now he has their backs. 

What a jackass. He name drops Fienstein so then the reporter name drops the Republicans and he tries to ask her why she didn't mention the other names and keeps her mic cut so he can talk over her.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Me too . The time for politicians getting a pass at profiteering through financial institutions needs to come to an end. What better time than now?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Me too . The time for politicians getting a pass at profiteering through financial institutions needs to come to an end. What better time than now?
    Why, because four senators may have broken a law, we disallow it for the other 529 members forever more?  No, disagree.  They are still free citizens.  The first thing I learned in management was that you don't punish the 98% who follow the rules, you manage the 2%.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Why, because four senators may have broken a law, we disallow it for the other 529 members forever more?  No, disagree.  They are still free citizens.  The first thing I learned in management was that you don't punish the 98% who follow the rules, you manage the 2%.  
    This isn't a 'management' issue

It's a matter of 'conflict of interest'

You want to be a public servant?  Then serve the public interest, not your own.  We the people get to set the rules and parameters.  
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,422
    static111 said:
    Agreed. Once you become an elected official, or receive an appointment to federal position, you should have to divest from owning stock in individual corporations. Mutual funds are fine.
  • Options
    I couldn't disagree more with all of you on this point.  Public service should not eliminate your ability to participate fairly in the economy.  There's a reason people have to file their reports, to prevent the 'conflict of interest'.  The fact that they filed these reports and now we know shows the system is working properly.  
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Agreed. Once you become an elected official, or receive an appointment to federal position, you should have to divest from owning stock in individual corporations. Mutual funds are fine.
    So a circuit judge should never again be allowed to purchase stocks?  I can tell you that I wouldn't take the appointment.  The median annual pay of a federal judge is $133k.  That's a helluva lot less than they would make as a white shoe attorney.  Now we want to hamstring them in other ways?  Sorry, I think everyone is being far too narrow minded and over reacting to this situation. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    So a circuit judge should never again be allowed to purchase stocks?  I can tell you that I wouldn't take the appointment.  The median annual pay of a federal judge is $133k.  That's a helluva lot less than they would make as a white shoe attorney.  Now we want to hamstring them in other ways?  Sorry, I think everyone is being far too narrow minded and over reacting to this situation. 
    A view that 133k is a low salary says a lot.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    A view that 133k is a low salary says a lot.
    For a white shoe attorney, it is.  You're asking them to take on public service but hamstringing them from equity investments.  If you have a JD and put that much time and effort into school and now the federal bench, $133 really isn't obscene.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I couldn't disagree more with all of you on this point.  Public service should not eliminate your ability to participate fairly in the economy.  There's a reason people have to file their reports, to prevent the 'conflict of interest'.  The fact that they filed these reports and now we know shows the system is working properly.  

But they aren't participating fairly, are they now?
    Filing reports hasn't prevented conflict of interest, has it now?
    The system isn't working properly, is it now?

With great power comes great responsibility.  And with great responsibility comes sacrifice. - Peter Parker
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:

With great power comes great responsibility.  And with great responsibility comes sacrifice. - Peter Parker
    Presumably the other 530 members, plus all the members of the judiciary are, but you seek to take away their right to participate fairly because of the actions of these four.  That's the solution for which I have a problem.  The conflict of interest rules, SEC regulations and required filings are designed to ferret out these bad actors, and it appears in this case, it worked.  Yet the solution be propositioned here is to take away the opportunity to be honest and earn in the stock market because of these four.  That's fundamentally wrong in my book.  Four people out of 535 (only using Congress) and yet we jump to a radical solution for the other 99.3%.  Makes no logical sense.  
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
     According to The Hill, U.S. Senators Richard Burr (R), Kelly Loeffler (R), Diane Feinstein (D) and James Inhofe (R) attended a classified briefing in Washington on January 24th with the Trump Administration.  The four engaged in a massive stock selloff over the next week.

Inhoff (R) Oklahoma - 

The same guy that brought the snowball to congress to show climate change was a hoax.. 

Same guy bought Raytheon stock days before it was granted a giant defense contract.

Between this ... the current Governor tweeting from a restaurant this week,  and the Senators both voting against the CorononaVirus Bill...

No wonder Oklahoma is always in the bottom 4 or 5 in state rankings.. 

Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    The heart of the matter is that we have a sick economic and political system. The current checks and balances do not work and there is a need for significant change. Limiting the for profit activity of public servants in such a way to ensure their decisions are motivated to the public good instead of moneyed interests and financial gain is not a radical or terrible idea. If you want to make money off of financial markets, real estate etc. do so in the private sector. It’s insane to think that anyone with a significant amount of money invested in the private sector won’t be swayed when it comes to make important decisions or votes.  If you want to make money as much money as possible from the markets don’t get into public service, or go do your public service and make your money after.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Presumably the other 530 members, plus all the members of the judiciary are, but you seek to take away their right to participate fairly because of the actions of these four.  That's the solution for which I have a problem.  The conflict of interest rules, SEC regulations and required filings are designed to ferret out these bad actors, and it appears in this case, it worked.  Yet the solution be propositioned here is to take away the opportunity to be honest and earn in the stock market because of these four.  That's fundamentally wrong in my book.  Four people out of 535 (only using Congress) and yet we jump to a radical solution for the other 99.3%.  Makes no logical sense.  
    Who is taking away the opportunity?  They want to invest in stocks, stay in the private sector.  Easy way to avoid conflict of interest.

You want to be a public servant.  Take away the conflict of interest.  No stocks for you.