Options

Libertarian ideology

Comments

• Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    Ahnimus wrote:
    And I view you as intuitively ignorant.
    As you wish.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    mammasan wrote:
    The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown. Genetic factors are known to be important, and dominant mutations in three different genes have been identified.

What's interesting about Alzheimers in this debate is that it affects the way people think by causally affecting the causality of the brain which causally determines what a person thinks and does.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Ahnimus wrote:
    What's interesting about Alzheimers in this debate is that it affects the way people think by causally affecting the causality of the brain which causally determines what a person thinks and does.

I know. My great grandfather, grandmother, and aunt have or are suffering from the disease.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Which, interestingly reminds me of what rigidly following the causality of life does to one--causes them to see all aspects of life in terms of causality, without the balance of seeing what just is.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    So again how would people with genetic disease be weeded out.

Well, it's quite likely they won't because of our morality.

If we let everyone die naturally, that would be a different story. I don't propose we do that. I'm not even sure why we are discussing this.

All of physical matter, including our brains is determined by the laws of the universe. That was my point, any libertarianist view of humans is complete horseshit.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Which, interestingly reminds me of what rigidly following the causality of life does to one--causes them to see all aspects of life in terms of causality, without the balance of seeing what just is.

I look at what is, and I look at the causality. I look at it for every fucking angle. Why don't you look at the causality for a change?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    So again how would people with genetic disease be weeded out.

Well, it's quite likely they won't because of our morality.

If we let everyone die naturally, that would be a different story. I don't propose we do that. I'm not even sure why we are discussing this.

All of physical matter, including our brains is determined by the laws of the universe. That was my point, any libertarianist view of humans is complete horseshit.

Well I see it the other way. It's my stance that believing that our actions are determined by the Laws of the Universe is horseshit.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    People with genetic defects will never be weeded out because of recessive mutations. Like you say, nature doesn't care and already found a way around evolution.
    And once again Ahnimus, science is a philosophy, you are warned that nothing you find can be held for an absolute truth but a series of principles you continuously test against reality (experiences) until they are proven wrong. When this happens a shift is made and new principles are tested. You were talking about mutations, take a look at the history of genetics, the truth has changed since the 70's.
    And why isn't this thread about libertarian ideology anymore?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I look at what is, and I look at the causality. I look at it for every fucking angle. Why don't you look at the causality for a change?
    You said last week that theory describing what our brain chemicals tell us is more real than our human experience. By being so tied to theory at the expense of reality, you completely minimized the very real aspect of Ahnimus the dude, sitting at the computer having a debate with peope on the internet. If you're comfortable existing on the theoretical plane and overlooking the human WITH the brain chemistry, that's fine. However I don't see that you're left with much of a leg to stand on when insulting people's ability to perceive life.

• Options
    Kann wrote:
    People with genetic defects will never be weeded out because of recessive mutations. Like you say, nature doesn't care and already found a way around evolution.
    And once again Ahnimus, science is a philosophy, you are warned that nothing you find can be held for an absolute truth but a series of principles you continuously test against reality until they are proven wrong. When this happens a shift is made and new principles are tested. You were talking about mutations, take a look at the history of genetics, the truth has changed since the 70's.

Because Ahnimus hi-jacked it.
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    You said last week that theory describing what our brain chemicals tell us is more real than our human experience. By being so tied to theory at the expense of reality, you completely minimized the very real aspect of Ahnimus the dude, sitting at the computer having a debate with peope on the internet. If you're comfortable existing on the theoretical plane and overlooking the human WITH the brain chemistry, that's fine. However I don't see that you're left with much of a leg to stand on when insulting people's ability to perceive life.

It's not like that. It's just blatantly obvious.

I enjoy my life, I have fun, I seek out pleasure and avoid pain. All the same shit you do, I just do it with reality in mind.
  • Options
    Kann wrote:
    And once again Ahnimus, science is a philosophy, you are warned that nothing you find can be held for an absolute truth but a series of principles you continuously test against reality (experiences) until they are proven wrong. When this happens a shift is made and new principles are tested. You were talking about mutations, take a look at the history of genetics, the truth has changed since the 70's.

It is, but if we can't agree on what a human is, then we aren't going to agree on politics either, am I right?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

I enjoy my life, I have fun, I seek out pleasure and avoid pain. All the same shit you do, I just do it with reality in mind.

But who is to say that others aren't doing the samething with reality in mind. Just because we do not share your opinion does not mean that our sense of reality is any less accute.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    It is, but if we can't agree on what a human is, then we aren't going to agree on politics either, am I right?

We can agree on what a human is and still disagree on politics and vice versa.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    But who is to say that others aren't doing the samething with reality in mind. Just because we do not share your opinion does not mean that our sense of reality is any less accute.

Your sense is less accute if you don't acknowledge reality.
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Ahnimus wrote:

I'd see that the other way around. What is your political stance?
  • Options
    Kann wrote:
    I'd see that the other way around. What is your political stance?

A new system needs to be created. Something like Communism with a different name. Possibly anarchy. But I'm far more concerned with self-perception.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

You've continually tried to prove how a few details and a theory is more real than "reality". All you've proven is what your maps direct you to.

so when you say: I look at what is, and I look at the causality." ...after arguing how the theory is the real reality and that no one else is sane or realistic, you've got yourself in a bit of a self-imposed bind.

• Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Your sense is less accute if you don't acknowledge reality.

But I do acknowledge reality, I just don't suscribe to your definetion of reality.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    But I do acknowledge reality, I just don't suscribe to your definetion of reality.

So.. how do you explain physics?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    A new system needs to be created. Something like Communism with a different name. Possibly anarchy. But I'm far more concerned with self-perception.
    How do you propose to implement your system? Do you wait for people to join, or do you take measures to impose the system on them?

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    How do you propose to implement your system? Do you wait for people to join, or do you take measures to impose the system on them?

I guess I'm going to have to wait for newageness to become looked down on, and wait for all the new agers to die off.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I guess I'm going to have to wait for newageness to become looked down on, and wait for all the new agers to die off.
    Are you going to answer the question?

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    Are you going to answer the question?

I believe I did answer the question. I need to wait for your kind to become extinct so we can begin to rationalize.
  • Options
    Well, I'm off to learn something. Chapter 11: The Visual Cortex of Primates

Which begins with a quote from Einstein "We should make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I believe I did answer the question. I need to wait for your kind to become extinct so we can begin to rationalize.
    I was wondering what you are proposing because we've killed approximately 100 million people in the last century alone, and I would think imposing a new system and implementing it in any way other than by choice would continue the patterns of non-acceptance of what evolution has brought about. Non-acceptance of what is tends to bring in theories of how we humans can make it "better", historically. including the force of trying to enact our egoistic moral rule to all.

• Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    So.. how do you explain physics?

Physics is the science that deals with matter and energy and their interactions.

I'm not debating that we are connected with the universe on a molecular level. I disagree with you at the point where you believe that it is this connection that defines our behavior. I believe that our behavior is defined by a plethora of influences and events but in the end it is our free will that decides what actions or lack of action we take.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Physics is the science that deals with matter and energy and their interactions.

I'm not debating that we are connected with the universe on a molecular level. I disagree with you at the point where you believe that it is this connection that defines our behavior. I believe that our behavior is defined by a plethora of influences and events but in the end it is our free will that decides what actions or lack of action we take.

That is a contradiction.
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    I thought I clicked on the libertarian thread?

Anyway, I just read through the wikipedia site for libertarianism and there appears to be several angles ranging from wanting to minimize government to out right dissolving it. I still need to read up on Paul to see exactly what kind of libertarian he is. Overall, libertarianism to be a bit too self-serving for me. I mean, it really seems to be what we already have without the all the protections. There are really many points that raise questions. It just seems incomplete, I see many possible disadvantages.

As far as 'protectors of liberty or freedom', I don't know, but it seems to me that is the governments job via a national defense, police, or the constitution.

As far as taxes, well I look at that as a social contract. Yes, this contract can and has been abused, but I prefer to work on those issues than reinventing the wheel with a untested libertarian approach. I don't buy the 'taxes are theft' argument. One can break this social contract at any time and denounce residency. No gun here, unless you break that contract. Everyone here benefits from some sort of government services.

I'm sure I'll have more..........
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    That is a contradiction.

How so? We are all influenced by many factors in our life. Each person, event, etc... helps mold who we are., but when the point of reacting to an event occurs the decision is ultimately up to us. It's not up the the people or events that have influenced us or the molecular connection we have with the universe. That is free will because in the end we make the decisions and are responsible for them.