Options

Libertarian ideology

Comments

• Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    "Paper muscles"??? That is a contradiction.

A free-market means that your money matches your production. And to tie "free" to money makes no sense. Money doesn't make a man free. Freedom is simply what makes money possible.

'Paper muscles' is money. Money is a powerful thing. No contradiction......

I disagree. With money comes much freedom. Now if you are just speaking about a free mind, well then I suppose those enslaved throughout history were still free as long as they had their mind intact.

Libertarianism does not prescribe an environment wherein corporations may enslave you or destroy the world. An unregulated market does not mean a market wherein Halliburton may kidnap you or force your labor. Libertarians strongly believe that the government should exist to prevent those actions.

No, but it's a little more deep than that. I'm think more about working conditions, etc. An individual is a slave to a corporation when their only means for earning a living is through them and the risk of losing their job is the corporation's leverage. Without 'paper muscles' most have no recourse. And I would suggest it takes money to make money. I'm not saying that these folks can't, for what ever reason, start their own business, but it is not as easy or as simple as that.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    :eek:

Is he a regulated plumber??????

;)

Ha ha, I missed this one! The bill I just paid would suggest he is! But, I gladly paid it to have hot water again.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    farfromglorifiedfarfromglorified Posts: 5,696
    baraka wrote:
    'Paper muscles' is money. Money is a powerful thing. No contradiction......

Production and labor are powerful things. Money is just paper. Words would have no power in the absence of meaning. Money is no different.
    I disagree. With money comes much freedom. Now if you are just speaking about a free mind, well then I suppose those enslaved throughout history were still free as long as they had their mind intact.

Freedom is your ability to think and act. Thinking and acting are the root of money, not the other way around.
    No, but it's a little more deep than that. I'm think more about working conditions, etc. An individual is a slave to a corporation when their only means for earning a living is through them and the risk of losing their job is the corporation's leverage.

What corporation is man's only means for earning a living?
    Without 'paper muscles' most have no recourse. And I would suggest it takes money to make money. I'm not saying that these folks can't, for what ever reason, start their own business, but it is not as easy or as simple as that.

It does not "take money to make money". If that were true, there would be no money.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    This must be referring to libertarianism politics. As far as personal choice goes libertarianism is complete bullshit.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    baraka wrote:
    The world of regulatory agencies is very multi-faceted, esp in health care (I use health care as an example, because I'm somewhat familiar with this world). A far as the people and market regulating this: There are many regs in place that most are unaware of completely and most have no idea how these regs protect them. I can get very detailed if you like, but I think you get the idea of what I'm saying. Now, I' the first to admit that these reg agencies can be redundant and over-kill. I, personally, would like to improve that aspect than doing away with regs completely. I don't see how that is responsible in this day and age.

I appreciate your 'slippery slope' concern and this is a potential problem. We see the ramifications of this everyday. I don't have all the answers. I will say that not all the reg agencies are gov't sponsored. One in particular that I deal with is more of a peer-related inspection agency and to get a stamp of approval from them gives you much respect in the medical community.

Well I'm not a pure Libertarian. I still believe that there should be minimal government regulation. There are certain industries and areas where the consumer would be inefficient in setting regulations. These areas would be where the government would step in.

I have nothing against peer-related inspection agencies.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    This must be referring to libertarianism politics. As far as personal choice goes libertarianism is complete bullshit.

can you please explain.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

Hehe...did you choose that position?
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    can you please explain.

Libertarianism as in volition, is described as the view that all human behavior is the result of free-will. ALL human behavior. Which is complete rubbish.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Hehe...did you choose that position?

You still don't understand how that all works eh?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Libertarianism as in volition, is described as the view that all human behavior is the result of free-will. ALL human behavior. Which is complete rubbish.

So you believe that all human behavior is not dictated by free will. If not free will then what.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    So you believe that all human behavior is not dictated by free will. If not free will then what.

The laws of the universe.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    You still don't understand how that all works eh?

How could I, absent free reason?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    The laws of the universe.

I don't mean to simplify this but I'm trying to understand. So this morning when I skipped my morning cup of coffee it was the laws of the universe and not free will that caused me to do that.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I don't mean to simplify this but I'm trying to understand. So this morning when I skipped my morning cup of coffee it was the laws of the universe and not free will that caused me to do that.

Correct

Look at it in two different ways.

The first person perspective; I chose to skip my morning coffee

The third person perspective; The laws of the universe caused me to choose to skip my morning coffee

See, the brain is highly causal, with networks of neurons that fire together. For example, if I say "Don't think of a black cat." you automatically think of a black cat. This is because the words "black" and "cat" are associated with the visual, touch and sound representations in your neural networks. I could say "Don't think of a cat's meow" and of course you will think of the sound a cat makes. This is because the brain is causal, a part of the universe and therefor deterministic.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Correct

Look at it in two different ways.

The first person perspective; I chose to skip my morning coffee

The third person perspective; The laws of the universe caused me to choose to skip my morning coffee

See, the brain is highly causal, with networks of neurons that fire together. For example, if I say "Don't think of a black cat." you automatically think of a black cat. This is because the words "black" and "cat" are associated with the visual, touch and sound representations in your neural networks. I could say "Don't think of a cat's meow" and of course you will think of the sound a cat makes. This is because the brain is causal, a part of the universe and therefor deterministic.

No offense but that just sounds like a bunch of psycho-babble to me. I find it hard to believe that the laws of the cosmos have any impact on my actions.

By your logic then a criminal is not responsible for his/her actions because the laws of the universe caused them to do it.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    No offense but that just sounds like a bunch of psycho-babble to me. I find it hard to believe that the laws of the cosmos have any impact on my actions.

By your logic then a criminal is not responsible for his/her actions because the laws of the universe caused them to do it.

Forget about the moral and social implications of truth. Let's focus on truth for now.

We are part of the universe, correct?
    The universe has certain laws, correct?
    Then by direct inferrence, we follow these laws, yes?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Forget about the moral and social implications of truth. Let's focus on truth for now.

We are part of the universe, correct?
    The universe has certain laws, correct?
    Then by direct inferrence, we follow these laws, yes?

Yes the universe has laws, for example physics, but none of those laws force a person's decision. You may make a decision based on your knowledge of the laws of the universe. I may not jump off of a tall object because of my knowledge of gravity, but in the end the decision is mine to make and not the universe's.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:

Oh, by the way. That psycho-babble is the late Nobel Laureate Francis Crick. He co-discovered the double-helix structure of DNA which has catapulted our understandings of human beings to new levels. Many people have been spared of their ailments because of Crick's work. Far more than Dr. Emoto.

Crick went on to become a neuroscientist and studied consciousness for a long fucking time and that is his "psycho-babble". But because you don't understand transduction and the NA+/K+ pump at the synaptic cleft, doesn't mean it's not true. In-fact anyone who is willing, and not lazy, to learn about the brain can and will find that it's far more plausible than any corporeal theories.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Yes the universe has laws, for example physics, but none of those laws force a person's decision. You may make a decision based on your knowledge of the laws of the universe. I may not jump off of a tall object because of my knowledge of gravity, but in the end the decision is mine to make and not the universe's.

You are part of the universe. You do not exist outside these laws. The electrical and chemical synapses in your brain are due to potassium, calcium and electrons flowing in the universe the way the universe works. You have no control over these functions. They control you.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Oh, by the way. That psycho-babble is the late Nobel Laureate Francis Crick. He co-discovered the double-helix structure of DNA which has catapulted our understandings of human beings to new levels. Many people have been spared of their ailments because of Crick's work. Far more than Dr. Emoto.

Crick went on to become a neuroscientist and studied consciousness for a long fucking time and that is his "psycho-babble". But because you don't understand transduction and the NA+/K+ pump at the synaptic cleft, doesn't mean it's not true. In-fact anyone who is willing, and not lazy, to learn about the brain can and will find that it's far more plausible than any corporeal theories.

Just because he was a genius and discovered the double helix doesn't mean that his other theories are as concrete.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    You are part of the universe. You do not exist outside these laws. The electrical and chemical synapses in your brain are due to potassium, calcium and electrons flowing in the universe the way the universe works. You have no control over these functions. They control you.

Just because my body is made of the same molecules that travel the cosmos doesn't mean that it controls my actions.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    ......studied consciousness for a long fucking time and that is his "psycho-babble". But because you don't understand transduction and the NA+/K+ pump at the synaptic cleft, doesn't mean it's not true. In-fact anyone who is willing, and not lazy, to learn about the brain can and will find that it's far more plausible than any corporeal theories.

Hehehehehe......
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Just because he was a genius and discovered the double helix doesn't mean that his other theories are as concrete.

Actually, it takes the opposite intelligence of Einstein to deny that we are moved by the universe.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    But because you don't understand transduction and the NA+/K+ pump at the synaptic cleft, doesn't mean it's not true. In-fact anyone who is willing, and not lazy, to learn about the brain can and will find that it's far more plausible than any corporeal theories.

But by your logic you really can't blame me because the universe made me say what I did. I also can't be blamed for not learning more about the brain because that's not what the universe wants me to do.

Lastly how can you call me lazy and unwilling. Again based on this logic I have no will of my own and all my actions or lack of actions are dictated by the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Just because my body is made of the same molecules that travel the cosmos doesn't mean that it controls my actions.

Actually. It does. These molecules don't make decisions. They react.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Actually, it takes the opposite intelligence of Einstein to deny that we are moved by the universe.

What ever. The man was smart wether it was Einstain smart or the opposite of Einstein smart I'll leave that up to you. Well correction it's not up to you. I'll leave it up to the laws of the universe to decide for you.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    But by your logic you really can't blame me because the universe made me say what I did. I also can't be blamed for not learning more about the brain because that's not what the universe wants me to do.

Lastly how can you call me lazy and unwilling. Again based on this logic I have no will of my own and all my actions or lack of actions are dictated by the laws of the universe.

"lazy" and "willing" are descriptors for particular traits. I'm not blaming your free-will. I'm talking to that deliberator in your brain that has the ability to sort through these things. I'm giving it information. It will reference this information against existing percepts, and depending on how strong those percepts are and how susceptible you are to change, you may continue to completely deny it like FFG or others do.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Actually. It does. These molecules don't make decisions. They react.

So a certain set of molecules with some connect to the cosmos reacted in a certain amnner this morning that caused me to forgo my morning cup of coffee because I wasn't in the mood for hazelnut, that's all I had in my cubboard, but rather in the mood for some kona blend.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    "lazy" and "willing" are descriptors for particular traits. I'm not blaming your free-will. I'm talking to that deliberator in your brain that has the ability to sort through these things. I'm giving it information. It will reference this information against existing percepts, and depending on how strong those percepts are and how susceptible you are to change, you may continue to completely deny it like FFG or others do.

But I guess I don't know how susceptible to change I am because I have no will of my own. Maybe if free will existed I would be more open to change because that would be up to me, but since it's not I will wipe my hands clean and continue down life's road.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

Hehe...why don't you just shoot him? Me too. It would be easier.