Options

Libertarian ideology

Comments

• Options
    farfromglorifiedfarfromglorified Posts: 5,696
    Ahnimus wrote:
    A human social construct

So we "should model our social and political systems around" determinism for the purpose of "a human social construct"? Doesn't any socio-political model accomplish that?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Ahnimus wrote:
    As far as personal choice goes libertarianism is complete bullshit.

This was a setup for a thread hijack if I've ever seen one.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    jeffbr wrote:
    This was a setup for a thread hijack if I've ever seen one.

And stupid me fucking fell for it.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mammasan wrote:
    And stupid me fucking fell for it.

LOL. I used to until I got sucked into a couple of very long threads and decided life was too short and I had a lot of choices to make!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    LOL. I used to until I got sucked into a couple of very long threads and decided life was too short and I had a lot of choices to make!

I'm making a mental note to avoid Ahnimus' posts from this day forward.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    mammasan wrote:
    What the fuck are you talking about. Have you completely gone nuts. What does my belief in free will have to do with the search for a cure for cancer or any other terminal illness. I'll answer that question for you abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Simply because I don't buy your fucking mumbo jumbo doesn't mean I am blind to the problems of the world or that my perception of reality is somehow suger coated with cherries and fucking gum drops.

Let me ask you since you seem to think that you have all the right answers, do you have the cure for cancer?

Prevention is the cure.

Nobody has to get cancer. But they fail to educate themselves, because they some how think intuition has all the answers.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    So we "should model our social and political systems around" determinism for the purpose of "a human social construct"? Doesn't any socio-political model accomplish that?

Determinism
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Prevention is the cure.

Nobody has to get cancer. But they fail to educate themselves, because they some how think intuition has all the answers.

How about the poor souls who already have it. How do you cure them. How about small children who develope lukemia. I guess they failed to educate themselves so that's why they contracted lukemia.

Is prevention your cure to all diseases or just cancer.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Determinism

Hehe...I asked two yes-or-no questions. "Determinism" is not a valid answer to either.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    How about the poor souls who already have it. How do you cure them. How about small children who develope lukemia. I guess they failed to educate themselves so that's why they contracted lukemia.

Is prevention your cure to all diseases or just cancer.

It needs to be a concerted effort.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

So you really don't have the answer then. I guess that means your reality is just as fucked up as mine then.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

*cough*eugenics*cough*
  • Options
    *cough*eugenics*cough*

Is it just me or does he sound like some far out fortune cookie. His answers to specific questions are just these vague responces that really don't answer the question at all.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Is it just me or does he sound like some far our fortune cookie. His answers to specific questions are just these vague responces that really don't answer the question at all.

I am at work and have other obligations.

Put a little thought into it.

All cancers are caused by genetic mutations, which are caused by stuff we expose ourselves to, like, pollution, HPV, tobacco smoke, etc..

If every woman in the world went to the STD clinic today and got the HPV vaccine, that would put an end to cervical cancer. But they won't, because they would rather have sex than become informed.
  • Options
    *cough*eugenics*cough*

That idea worked real well in 1930-1940 Germany.
  • Options
    Ironically a guy I work with thinks promescuity causes STDs. He has herpes simplex virus though. He doesn't realize that even his fundamentalist Christian view of the world won't save him from unprotected sex, even if he's only had one partner. STDs do not work that way.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Is it just me or does he sound like some far out fortune cookie. His answers to specific questions are just these vague responces that really don't answer the question at all.

Ahnimus's positions are typically more reasoned and direct than fortune cookies. They're typically more reasoned and direct than most on this board, as a matter of fact. The last couple have been a bit bizarre, but they are the exceptions.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    mammasan wrote:
    OK you lost me at The. :)
    :D
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

All cancers are caused by genetic mutations, which are caused by stuff we expose ourselves to, like, pollution, HPV, tobacco smoke, etc..

If every woman in the world went to the STD clinic today and got the HPV vaccine, that would put an end to cervical cancer. But they won't, because they would rather have sex than become informed.

There are other forms of cancer that can be brought upon by genetic disorders, like Fanconi anema being a likely cause for lukemia. I agree that therer are illness out there that can be prevented, HPV, STDs, Diabetes, aetherosclerosis, dislipidemia, etc... and we should be more aware of what we injest and expose ourselves to inorder to minimize our chances of developing one or more of these illnesses. There are also illnesses that we have no control over, Parkinsons, Alhziemers, etc... that we are genetically predisposed to. So you one solution cure to disease is flawed. Unless you do believe in Eugenics and want to prevent individuals who are genetically predisposed to these disease to be bred out of society.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

Or maybe they are concerned with any long term side effects that early safety studies may have not picked up on. Or maybe they just aren't premiscuios (sp?) and don't see the need to expose themselves to an medication they don't need. To think that women do not get the vaccine simply because they are stupid or perfer to have sex is simply retarded.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    There are other forms of cancer that can be brought upon by genetic disorders, like Fanconi anema being a likely cause for lukemia. I agree that therer are illness out there that can be prevented, HPV, STDs, Diabetes, aetherosclerosis, dislipidemia, etc... and we should be more aware of what we injest and expose ourselves to inorder to minimize our chances of developing one or more of these illnesses. There are also illnesses that we have no control over, Parkinsons, Alhziemers, etc... that we are genetically predisposed to. So you one solution cure to disease is flawed. Unless you do believe in Eugenics and want to prevent individuals who are genetically predisposed to these disease to be bred out of society.

People with genetic disadvantages will be weeded out regardless of what we do. Unless you want to swap the DNA of your perfectly healthy egg with the DNA of someone who has a serious disease. The universe does not care. This is evolution baby.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    People with genetic disadvantages will be weeded out regardless of what we do.

How so/ Take Alhziemers. The onset of the disease doesn't start untill after you have passed your reproductive years.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Or maybe they are concerned with any long term side effects that early safety studies may have not picked up on. Or maybe they just aren't premiscuios (sp?) and don't see the need to expose themselves to an medication they don't need. To think that women do not get the vaccine simply because they are stupid or perfer to have sex is simply retarded.

It was a generalization.

30% of people have HPV
    70% come in contact with it
    HPV can be passed down to children
    HPV cannot be cured by medicine
    HPV is not detected unless symptoms arise
    Most people are asymptomatic

Based on this, a person who has had few partners, one partner or no partner could still have the infection.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    People with genetic disadvantages will be weeded out regardless of what we do. Unless you want to swap the DNA of your perfectly healthy egg with the DNA of someone who has a serious disease. The universe does not care. This is evolution baby.
    Oh really? This may be the view at this time for some people. It will not be the prevalent view in 100 years.

Already there are books such as "When the body says no" by Canadian author Dr. Gabor Mate about the "beyond" physical reasons for the manifestation of disease and genetic predispositions, which, by the way, do not need to manifest or stay manifest. or there's neuropsychiatrist Mona Lisa Schulz's "Awakening Intuition" which covers the same topic using many scientific studies as support.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    It was a generalization.

30% of people have HPV
    70% come in contact with it
    HPV can be passed down to children
    HPV cannot be cured by medicine
    HPV is not detected unless symptoms arise
    Most people are asymptomatic

Based on this, a person who has had few partners, one partner or no partner could still have the infection.

A very bad generalization.

I'm still having trouble making the connection between your solution to disease and my Mickey Mouse reality.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    How so/ Take Alhziemers. The onset of the disease doesn't start untill after you have passed your reproductive years.

Who says Alzheimers is genetic?

Risk reducers
    Intellectual stimulation (e.g., playing chess or doing crosswords)[53]
    Regular physical exercise[54]
    Regular social interaction [9]
    A Mediterranean diet with fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fat,[55] supplemented in particular with:
    B vitamins[56]
    Omega-3 fatty acids, especially Docosahexaenoic acid[57][58]
    Fruit and vegetable juice[59][60]
    High doses of the antioxidant Vitamin E (in combination with vitamin C) seem to reduce Alzheimer's risk in cross sectional studies but not in a randomized trial and so are not currently a recommended preventive measure because of observed increases in overall mortality[61][62]
    Cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins) reduce Alzheimer's risk in observational studies but so far not in randomized controlled trials[63]
    Female Hormone replacement therapy is no longer thought to prevent dementia based on data from the Women's Health Initiative
    Long-term usage of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), used to reduce joint inflammation and pain, are associated with a reduced likelihood of developing AD, according to some observational studies.[64][65] The risks appear to outweigh the drugs' benefit as a method of primary prevention.[66]
    One recent research study has found that cannabinoids, the psychoactive compounds in marijuana, "succeed in preventing the neurodegenerative process occurring in the disease."[67]However, this finding has not been replicated.

Risk factors
    Advancing age
    Aluminum Intake [10]
    ApoE epsilon 4 genotype (in some populations) [11]
    Head injury[68]
    Poor cardiovascular health (including smoking, diabetes[69], hypertension[70], high cholesterol [71])
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    Oh really? This may be the view at this time for some people. It will not be the prevalent view in 100 years.

Already there are books such as "When the body says no" by Canadian author Dr. Gabor Mate about the "beyond" physical reasons for the manifestation of disease and genetic predispositions, which, by the way, do not need to manifest or stay manifest. or there's neuropsychiatrist Mona Lisa Schulz's "Awakening Intuition" which covers the same topic using many scientific studies as support.

Bullshit
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Bullshit
    Oh, I was quite certain you'd disagree. I'm making the point that I view you as short-sighted.

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    Oh, I was quite certain you'd disagree. I'm making the point that I view you as short-sighted.

And I view you as intuitively ignorant.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Who says Alzheimers is genetic?

Risk reducers
    Intellectual stimulation (e.g., playing chess or doing crosswords)[53]
    Regular physical exercise[54]
    Regular social interaction [9]
    A Mediterranean diet with fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fat,[55] supplemented in particular with:
    B vitamins[56]
    Omega-3 fatty acids, especially Docosahexaenoic acid[57][58]
    Fruit and vegetable juice[59][60]
    High doses of the antioxidant Vitamin E (in combination with vitamin C) seem to reduce Alzheimer's risk in cross sectional studies but not in a randomized trial and so are not currently a recommended preventive measure because of observed increases in overall mortality[61][62]
    Cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins) reduce Alzheimer's risk in observational studies but so far not in randomized controlled trials[63]
    Female Hormone replacement therapy is no longer thought to prevent dementia based on data from the Women's Health Initiative
    Long-term usage of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), used to reduce joint inflammation and pain, are associated with a reduced likelihood of developing AD, according to some observational studies.[64][65] The risks appear to outweigh the drugs' benefit as a method of primary prevention.[66]
    One recent research study has found that cannabinoids, the psychoactive compounds in marijuana, "succeed in preventing the neurodegenerative process occurring in the disease."[67]However, this finding has not been replicated.

Risk factors
    Advancing age
    Aluminum Intake [10]
    ApoE epsilon 4 genotype (in some populations) [11]
    Head injury[68]
    Poor cardiovascular health (including smoking, diabetes[69], hypertension[70], high cholesterol [71])

The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown. Genetic factors are known to be important, and dominant mutations in three different genes have been identified. Even though it only constitutes 5-10% of all Alzheimer cases you have Familial Alzheimers which is a genetic disease. So again how would people with genetic disease be weeded out.