Options

Mos Def Arrested While Performing 'Katrina Clap' outside the VMAs

Comments

• Options
    coming from you this has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time... since when does you first claming Mos Def says all cops are racist to to me completly prooving you wrong have anything to do with baggy clothes... stick the to subject homie...

BTW the first part of your post makes no sense... do you think baggy clothes were designed for concealment or are you saying that's what I think?

Im saying that that IS the idea behind the baggy clothes. Research a genre before buying into it because its hip. How metropolitan is the area you live in?

Go grab 15 random black guys. Just make sure they are "hip hopped" to the nines. Then search them. Look in the 45 pockets thos bombers have. Look in the 14 pockets the pants have. But be careful.

Then imagine having to police them, daily. Imagine.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    You dont have any evidence of racism. I certainly agree that racism is still a problem and many cops certainly have racist tendencies, but because a black person is arrested for breaking a law does not automatically equate to racism.

I think it was an overreaction based on race.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    i think it was an arrest based on the law..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Im saying that that IS the idea behind the baggy clothes. Research a genre before buying into it because its hip. How metropolitan is the area you live in?

Go grab 15 random black guys. Just make sure they are "hip hopped" to the nines. Then search them. Look in the 45 pockets thos bombers have. Look in the 14 pockets the pants have. But be careful.

'them' who?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    i think it was an arrest based on the law..........

which is applied differently to different types of people.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    You are basing you beliefs on your experience with this other ignorant person? That explains alot...

So by your rational its cool to hate on gay people for acting gay if you dont "approve" of their lifestyle, that is basically what you are saying here about hip-hop culture... they dress and act "that" way SO they deserve to be treated "this" way... grow up dude

Apparently this is simply what you wanted to read from my post. This isnt remotely what my post intended, nor said. Read slow. The mother wanted her son to be something someday. And she sure as hell knew that that entire culture her son was being sucked into, was not the road to success. Image isnt everything, but its alot. And when you intentionally glorify crime, and violence, in both the music you listen to, and in the garb you wear, you may not deserve extra attention from the police, but you sure should expect it if you're not a complete dumb-ass.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    'them' who?

The 15 people you grabbed in my "hypothetical" situation.

Since you love hypotheticals.

Christ, you people need to read slower.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    which is applied differently to different types of people.
    but the police officers in this particular situation.....

that you started this thread about.....

did exactly what they are trained to do.....

arrest somebody who is breaking the law....

right???
  • Options

So when Chris Webber decided to wear baggy shorts in Michigan for the first time with his teammates they were all trying to conceal weapons and drugs? Who's genre's book on hip hop have you been reading? Trent Lot's?

I grew up the in San Francisco bay area, lived in LA and now live in Portland... where do you live? Downtown Topeka?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options

I have a problem with that. And like I said earlier, I certainly and not discounting racism at all as I know it still exists. But that doesnt mean it should be thrown into every situation. He broke a law, he got arrested. I actually agree that it probably should have just been broken up. But in saying that, he did break a law. But racism charges can be pretty insulting, and I dont think it is something that shoudl be thrown around lightly. And in this situation, I have to say that I think you are throwing it around lightly since you have absolutely no evidence or racism, other than a black guy who broke the law was arrested.
  • Options
    The 15 people you grabbed in my "hypothetical" situation.

Since you love hypotheticals.

Christ, you people need to read slower.

just imagine having to police 'them' the 15 guys in your example, everyday?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    i think the title of this thread should have been.....

GOOD AND DECENT POLICE OFFICERS DO THEIR JOB WELL AND ARREST SOMEONE WHO WAS BREAKING THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    I have a problem with that. And like I said earlier, I certainly and not discounting racism at all as I know it still exists. But that doesnt mean it should be thrown into every situation. He broke a law, he got arrested. I actually agree that it probably should have just been broken up. But in saying that, he did break a law. But racism charges can be pretty insulting, and I dont think it is something that shoudl be thrown around lightly. And in this situation, I have to say that I think you are throwing it around lightly since you have absolutely no evidence or racism, other than a black guy who broke the law was arrested.

How can you prove it, though? It can only be judged based on other similar problems/overreactions such as these....which are plenty.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Apparently this is simply what you wanted to read from my post. This isnt remotely what my post intended, nor said. Read slow. The mother wanted her son to be something someday. And she sure as hell knew that that entire culture her son was being sucked into, was not the road to success. Image isnt everything, but its alot. And when you intentionally glorify crime, and violence, in both the music you listen to, and in the garb you wear, you may not deserve extra attention from the police, but you sure should expect it if you're not a complete dumb-ass.

that mother was an ignorant bitch… if she wanted to get through to her son she should have talked to him not slam him with racial slurs… and for some reason her being black makes it ok to you... which its not...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    i think the title of this thread should have been.....

GOOD AND DECENT POLICE OFFICERS DO THEIR JOB WELL AND ARREST SOMEONE WHO WAS BREAKING THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think, yourself, that he needed to be arrested for this? After he had finished performing and agreed to leave? You think he needed to be taken in for that?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    How can you prove it, though? It can only be judged based on other similar problems/overreactions such as these....which are plenty.

In this situation you cant, which is why I dont think you should be so adament about it. Honest, I can understand where you are coming from, but at the same time the cops were in there rights to arrest him. In my opinion your only legitimate issue here would be if you disagreed with the permit laws, or if you have evidence of Clay Aiken doing this type of thing and not getting arrested.
  • Options
    just imagine having to police 'them' the 15 guys in your example, everyday?

no, work in neighborhood where EVERY male is wearing baggy clothes. Not for style. But for concealment. Talk to an inner city cop. Even a black one. Have you? I have. I know a few. Racism isnt the motivation, fear of being killed for not assuming the worst is. And its not that hard to assume someone's a criminal, when they walk, talk, dress and act like just that.

Not in this "permit" example. But to the issue of racist cops. Sure there's racist cops. There's racist everything. Banishing that is about as realistic as banishing war. But keep aiming high!!

If YOU are walking in a dark, poorly lit street, and 3 black males wearing big baggy clothes, with their pants down to their ass, are walking towards you, do YOU cross the street? Do YOU get nervous, even a little? If you say no, you're either a liar, or really brave.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Are you serious!? You know they wouldn't arrest Madonna or Clay Aiken. Well, I'll just have to disagree with you then.
    im still waiting for you.....to prove to me.....

how I know they wouldnt arrest Madonna or Clay Aiken.....
  • Options
    Do you think, yourself, that he needed to be arrested for this? After he had finished performing and agreed to leave? You think he needed to be taken in for that?
    of course....
  • Options
    im still waiting for you.....to prove to me.....

how I know they wouldnt arrest Madonna or Clay Aiken.....

That's just me expressing my disbelief. I just can't see that happening at all.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    no, work in neighborhood where EVERY male is wearing baggy clothes. Not for style. But for concealment. Talk to an inner city cop. Even a black one. Have you? I have. I know a few. Racism isnt the motivation, fear of being killed for not assuming the worst is. And its not that hard to assume someone's a criminal, when they walk, talk, dress and act like just that.

Hmmm all erratic acting Arabs must be terrorists then too huh? We all must fear the worst... man that kid I past today saggn his pants musta had a 45 in his waist band... good thing I didnt look him in the eye!!!

how's living in fear working for you?
  • Options
    If YOU are walking in a dark, poorly lit street, and 3 black males wearing big baggy clothes, with their pants down to their ass, are walking towards you, do YOU cross the street? Do YOU get nervous, even a little? If you say no, you're either a liar, or really brave.

You are a rasict and dont even know it...
  • Options
    of course....

why? he wasn't causing any harm to anyone. they don't take you in for speeding.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    of course....

ignoring of course the reaction and possibility of a primarily urban, illegal gathering of people on a busy street corner where Katrina is the subject, and completely dismissing any chances of a riot or whatever. You love to see the tradgedy in these types of things, yet you love to ignore reality just as much. Or so it seems to me.

Gnite,
    So long,
    Farewell,
    see ya on the flip side.

Smell ya later. Im out.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    You are a rasict and dont even know it...

Im a realist, and you refuse to see it. Come take a walk with me in the neighborhoods 'round here. See for yourself, what you really think inside.
    Who needs actions when you got words tho?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    ignoring of course the reaction and possibility of a primarily urban, illegal gathering of people on a busy street corner where Katrina is the subject, and completely dismissing any chances of a riot or whatever. You love to see the tradgedy in these types of things, yet you love to ignore reality just as much. Or so it seems to me.

Gnite,
    So long,
    Farewell,
    see ya on the flip side.

Smell ya later. Im out.

good riddance...
  • Options
    Hmmm all erratic acting Arabs must be terrorists then too huh? We all must fear the worst... man that kid I past today saggn his pants musta had a 45 in his waist band... good thing I didnt look him in the eye!!!

how's living in fear working for you?

Im not afraid, nor living with any of it. I simply tend to avoid areas and people who may be a threat. How's living in delusion and denial going for you?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Im a realist, and you refuse to see it. Come take a walk with me in the neighborhoods 'round here. See for yourself, what you really think inside.
    Who needs actions when you got words tho?

Topeka? Shit I hear that is a tough hood when the bake sale runs out of cupcakes and cookies...
  • Options
    good riddance...

Ill miss you the most.
    Topeka? Shit I hear that is a tough hood when the bake sale runs out of cupcakes and cookies...

Never been there, is it nice? The only thing baked around this general area, is the crack-heads.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Im not afraid, nor living with any of it. I simply tend to avoid areas and people who may be a threat. How's living in delusion and denial going for you?

OK I'll take your advice... making a mental note here... *must avoid black people in the dark with baggy pants* ok I got it... now what about black people in "normal clothes"? Should I avoid them too? Or only at night? Hmmm How about some white kids in the dark with baggy clothes? Do they have guns too? How about Asians? Arabs? Any other racial stereotypes you want to help me with here so I’m safer? God this is so scary!!! Man I dont even know if I should go out at night... or even the daytime!!!! AHHHHH!!!