Options

Mos Def Arrested While Performing 'Katrina Clap' outside the VMAs

Comments

• Options
    like where the fuck is Sir Bono and his famous friends now..........

dont get it twisted man i dig U2............

BUT IF YOU AINT ABOUT THE GHETTO THAN FUCK YOU TOO............

the next william shakespeare...........

or illiterate thug????...............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    like where the fuck is Sir Bono and his famous friends now..........

dont get it twisted man i dig U2............

BUT IF YOU AINT ABOUT THE GHETTO THAN FUCK YOU TOO............

the next william shakespeare...........

or illiterate thug????...............

word up?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    I wonder if they would have arrested the Rolling Stones for the same thing?
    actually i would have loved to see THE ROLLING STONES parade down the street singing some rap tunes...

right after they signed that check for $1,000,000.00 that they donated to the katrina relief fund.....
  • Options
    actually i would have loved to see THE ROLLING STONES parade down the street singing some rap tunes...

right after they signed that check for $1,000,000.00 that they donated to the katrina relief fund.....

Ill 'hip hop' to that!
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

a simple google search would show that mos def is constantly donating money and time to relief efforts of all sorts as well as performing shows where ALL the $ goes to the cause...anyway, what does it matter how much they gave if they would be arrested or not? and when the stones sued the verve for bitter sweet symphony (when it was used in a commerical) didn't the verve ask if they would contribute their share of the commercial proceeds to a charity, like they did, and the stones said no and kept the $?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mos_Def

On Mos Def's 2004 album The New Danger, the rapper took his penchant for experimentation to a new level. Most of the songs were more hip-hop flavored stylings of blues and rock, with fewer raps thrown in. This threw off fans who were expecting another full-blown rap album. The New Danger also featured the controversial song, "The Rape Over", a parody of Jay-Z's The Blueprint hit "The Takeover":

Old white men is runnin' this rap shit,
    Corporate forces runnin' this rap shit,
    Some tall Israeli is runnin' this rap shit,
    We poke out our asses for a chance to cash in.
    Cocaine, is runnin' this rap shit,
    'Dro, 'yac and e-pills is runnin this rap shit,
    MTV is runnin' this rap shit,
    Viacom is runnin' this rap shit,
    AOL and Time Warner runnin' this rap shit,
    Quasi - homosexuals is runnin' this rap shit.

High-placed executives temporarily made Mos take the song off releases of the album, citing clearance issues with Jay-Z and The Doors, a band which the song samples. The song has been called anti-zionist for its veiled reference to Lyor Cohen (the "tall Israeli" who then was head of the The Island Def Jam Music Group), and homophobic for its reference to "quasi-homosexuals." [3]

Mos and Immortal Technique released a similarly controversial song, "Bin Laden" in 2005, which blamed the Reagan Doctrine and President George W. Bush for the September 11, 2001 attacks. A club remix song, featuring Eminem, was released the following year, in 2005.

Color me surprised you like this "artist". "great" minds think alike.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    a simple google search would show that mos def is constantly donating money and time to relief efforts of all sorts as well as performing shows where ALL the $ goes to the cause...anyway, what does it matter how much they gave if they would be arrested or not? and when the stones sued the verve for bitter sweet symphony (when it was used in a commerical) didn't the verve ask if they would contribute their share of the commercial proceeds to a charity, like they did, and the stones said no and kept the $?
    the rolling stones sued the verve????

are you sure you have your facts straight?????

or did the stones former manager sue???
  • Options

Yeah me too, I definitely wouldn't want them arrested for simply performing a song about a good cause, that they had aleady finished, and actually complied with the police and packed up without a fuss. The point is there was no reason to go to the extent of arresting Mos Def, fine him...sure, but they went overboard. And I'm just seriously doubting if they would have arrested The Stones, Jessica Simpson or NSync.

Mos Def is a very articulate and extremely talented poet, watch Def Poetry Jam on HBO sometime.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Yeah me too, I definitely wouldn't want them arrested for simply performing a song about a good cause, that they had aleady finished, and actually complied with the police and packed up without a fuss. The point is there was no reason to go to the extent of arresting Mos Def, fine him...sure, but they went overboard. And I'm just seriously doubting if they would have arrested The Stones, Jessica Simpson or NSync.

Mos Def is a very articulate and extremely talented poet, watch Def Poetry Jam on HBO sometime.

Well thats easy to doubt tho, because its easy to doubt that they'd even be there doing that. And besides, if they did want to do something like that, Im sure their manager would have enough brains to find out if a permit was needed prior to. So your point is moo.

^^^^^^^^^^Joey: its a moo point :p
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    the rolling stones sued the verve????

are you sure you have your facts straight?????

or did the stones former manager sue???

he may have had a hand in it and started it, but who got the $? the stones

http://www.superswell.com/samplelaw/horror.html

What ensued was a bitter (and not sweet) legal battle resulting in The Verve turning over 100% of the royalties to the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones argued that The Verve had violated the previous licensing agreement by using too much of the sample in their song. The Verve argued that The Rolling Stones got greedy when the song became successful. Herein lies the issue of moral rights of a samplist.

"The last thing I ever wanted was for my music to be used in a commercial. I'm still sick about it", The Verve's lead singer Richard Ashcroft said in a recent interview. So, that's exactly what Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein did. Capitalizing off the success of the song, Klein licensed The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" to Nike, who proceeded to run a multi-million dollar television campaign using The Verve's song over shots of its sneakers. Klein also used the song to hawk Vauxhall automobiles. Additionally, though the song was authored by The Rolling Stones, the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra performed the sampled recording and also filed suit upon the success of the song. (Herein lies a fine caveat to license both the recording and composition rights from whomever maintains them.) To add even more insult to injury, when "Bittersweet Symphony" was nominated for a Grammy, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were named the nominees and not The Verve. What could be more "Bittersweet" than your song reaching the top of the charts and not being able to enjoy a cent of its success?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Klein

On their song "Bittersweet Symphony", the British outfit The Verve sampled an orchestration from The Rolling Stones' "The Last Time", the rights to which are owned by Allen Klein's ABKCO Industries. Before the release of the album, The Verve negotiated a licensing agreement with Klein, who administers the Stones catalogue, to use the sample - at least the composition rights to the sample. In 1997, The Verve's album Urban Hymns peaked at No. 23 on the Billboard charts. A bitter legal battle ensued, resulting in The Verve turning over 100% of the royalties to ABKCO. Klein argued that The Verve had violated the previous licensing agreement by using too much of the sample in their song. The Verve argued that Klein got greedy when the song became successful. Capitalizing off the success of the song, Klein licensed The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" to Nike, who proceeded to run a multi-million dollar television campaign using The Verve's song over shots of its sneakers. Klein also allowed the song to be used in advertisements for Vauxhall automobiles. (Additionally, though the song was authored by The Rolling Stones, the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra performed the sampled recording, and also filed suit upon the success of the song. When "Bittersweet Symphony" was nominated for a Grammy Award, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were named as the nominees, and not The Verve)

soooo...HE licensed the song to the commercial, and then sued over it??
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    Well thats easy to doubt tho, because its easy to doubt that they'd even be there doing that. And besides, if they did want to do something like that, Im sure their manager would have enough brains to find out if a permit was needed prior to. So your point is moo.

oh come on.....

im pretty sure MICK JAGGER wouldnt have looked into whether or not he would have needed a permit.....hehehehehe
  • Options

I think it was supposed to be a surprise type thing, I would think that getting the permit would mess that up. I figured they just thought they would pay a fine. The point that you didn't address is would they have arrested Madonna, Elton John or Clay Aiken for the same thing? It's called a hypothetical question.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I think it was supposed to be a surprise type thing, I would think that getting the permit would mess that up. I figured they just thought they would pay a fine. The point that you didn't address is would they have arrested Madonna, Elton John or Clay Aiken for the same thing? It's called a hypothetical question.
    yes they would have..........

and mos def wasnt charged.....he was given a summons...............
  • Options
    oh come on.....

im pretty sure MICK JAGGER wouldnt have looked into whether or not he would have needed a permit.....hehehehehe

the point isn't whether or not mick jagger would get a permit, the question is would they have been arrested?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    the point isn't whether or not mick jagger would get a permit, the question is would they have been arrested?
    yes..
  • Options
    yes they would have..........

and mos def wasnt charged.....he was given a summons...............

"Rapper and actor Mos Def was arrested Thursday night after performing his song "Katrina Clap" without a permit outside the MTV Video Music Awards"

sure, he was given a summons AFTER they initially arrested/detained him
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    my hypothetical question.......would madonna,elton,clay or mick have been smart enough to get a permit??.....

unlike that articulate genius mos def........
  • Options
    yes..

guess we'll have to agree to disagree

had u2's 'where the streets have no name' been real you would support them all being arrested?

should the beatles have been arrested for their rooftop performance which was shut down?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options

What point is there in answering a question like that? Why do you refuse to answer the question as to whether some other artists (literate non-thugs, so to speak), would have gotten a permit, and avoided the whole problem. Laws are laws, and rules are rules, why should anyone be exempt>?

If I showed up on that corner and started performing, I know DAMN WELL I'd have been arrested. Thats for sure.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Nor did this post. Guess both of us will be reprimanded. ;)

for what exactly? calling out your racist troll schtick isn't anything new
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    my hypothetical question.......would madonna,elton,clay or mick have been smart enough to get a permit??.....

unlike that articulate genius mos def........

I'll answer your since you can't seem to answer mine.

Maybe if they were actually going for a surprise they wouldn't. And even if they just forgot, didn't know or just decided to pay a fine for something that was harmless....does that make them stupid or the police for overreacting about it?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    btw, if you need an illiterate thug to educate you on katrina, you probably didnt care to begin with.

Please remove your head... it is deeply buried within your ass... the ignorance of this statement is staggering
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

had u2's 'where the streets have no name' been real you would support them all being arrested?

should the beatles have been arrested for their rooftop performance which was shut down?
    well you tell me.....

did the beatles or U2 break any laws????

mos def was given a summons for operating a sound reproduction device without a permit....
  • Options

Maybe if they were actually going for a surprise they wouldn't. And even if they just forgot, didn't know or just decided to pay a fine for something that was harmless....does that make them stupid or the police for overreacting about it?

Why, do the people who give permits out "ruin hip hop secret performances" as a habit?

And I'd love to know what both his demeanor and his words were to whichever law enforcement officer initially told them to "get to steppin". Im sure he was calm, cool, articulate, respectful, and a role model to all. Since rappers soooooooooooooooooooo love the po-po.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    What point is there in answering a question like that? Why do you refuse to answer the question as to whether some other artists (literate non-thugs, so to speak), would have gotten a permit, and avoided the whole problem. Laws are laws, and rules are rules, why should anyone be exempt>?

If I showed up on that corner and started performing, I know DAMN WELL I'd have been arrested. Thats for sure.

Oh, so only illiterate, thug, black rappers are too dumb to get permits? I gotcha. A guy forgets a permit and now he is illiterate and a thug.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:

The beatles were on the roof of a private building, that is a little different then being on a public street. And the fact of the matter is this song and its message is getting much more notoriety because of his arrest, so I dont even see his arrest as a bad thing really.
  • Options
    Why, do the people who give permits out "ruin hip hop secret performances" as a habit?

And I'd love to know what both his demeanor and his words were to whichever law enforcement officer initially told them to "get to steppin". Im sure he was calm, cool, articulate, respectful, and a role model to all. Since rappers soooooooooooooooooooo love the po-po.

You dont know a goddamn thing about hip-hop do you?... besides what you see on MTV...?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options

cant seem to answer yours????

im pretty sure i answered it in post #45 of this thread.....i said YES!!!

they forgot??
    they didnt know???
    or just decided to pay a fine???

now i wouldnt call what they did stupid......i would call it illegal....and that is why they were arrested.....
  • Options

Leaks.

You are assuming things based on your prejudice. No where has reported anything like this. I've read he complied with no problems.

Now all rappers have to hate the police....geez, stereotype much? is that all you know how to talk in?

-Oscar Wilde