Options

Mos Def Arrested While Performing 'Katrina Clap' outside the VMAs

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    just a thought... if you applied for a permit to perform anything outside of Radio City Music Hall while the VMAs or any other award show was going on, do you think it would be approved?? I believe not. He knew that he would never get a permit and figured hell I'm just gonna go and make my point and accept the consequences. I don't care if he's black, white, orange, or purple, he would have been arrested for this.. no big deal. And I'm sure he knew this and was willing to accept it, plus with him getting arrested it just makes the whole thing a bigger story.

I've heard the song already, (Mos performed it in AC after Dave Chappelle's show) it's not bad. I applaud him for trying to keep the light on the people of N.O. and trying to raise some money for them.

EXACTLY.

an artist of such caliber is WELL aware, has the staff of lawyers, publicists, etc. to advise him. i am sure he KNEW full well if he applied for a permit, was denied as he most likely would be and then performed....then the city would have an actual case agianst him. by simply forgoing applying for a permit, it's all basic psych 101: risk vs. reward. he wanted to do what he wanted to do..to make his statement and promote his cause.....he knew what risks would be involved and they were acceptable. he seems fairly nonplussed in the pics of him being arrested, b/c he knew well it was a likely scenario, and damn right, it brought even MORE exposure to his performance and his cause. so all win-win. there's nothing racial about it.

i just think, IF mos def felt he was treated unfairly, treated disrespectfully or there were any racial issues...he'd have filed a complaint, made a fuss, something. point is, he knew what would happen, and he was fine with it. ANY artist in the same scenario would expect the same. i think if we are to make progress, it needs to happen on BOTH sides; one should not be treated differently b/c of race, creed, gender, etc....and also too...the public should NOT automatically jump to the conclusion that any time a person of color is arrested, it *must* be racially motivated. sometimes is simply the law is broken, which we all agree it was....and so then, arrests are made. to me, the NYPD *had* to do what they did, arrest and all to make a statement...and mos def felt he *had* to do what he did to make his statement.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    this is the thread that never ends......
    it just goes on and on my friends......................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....