Options

Mos Def Arrested While Performing 'Katrina Clap' outside the VMAs

Comments

• Options
    cant seem to answer yours????

im pretty sure i answered it in post #45 of this thread.....i said YES!!!

they forgot??
    they didnt know???
    or just decided to pay a fine???

now i wouldnt call what they did stupid......i would call it illegal....and that is why they were arrested.....

Do you really think the city would have granted Mos Def a permit to perform across the street of a venue that already had a couple thousand people in it? NO... Should he have been arrested... if only he refused to disperse after he was told to... doesnt sound like they asked him to leave first.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    cant seem to answer yours????

im pretty sure i answered it in post #45 of this thread.....i said YES!!!

they forgot??
    they didnt know???
    or just decided to pay a fine???

now i wouldnt call what they did stupid......i would call it illegal....and that is why they were arrested.....

Are you serious!? You know they wouldn't arrest Madonna or Clay Aiken. Well, I'll just have to disagree with you then.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    too add im glad he got arrested and it may have even been planned... I had no idea his new album was coming out on the 19th of this month, now I do... plus it gives some much needed attention to Katrina...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Are you serious!? You know they wouldn't arrest Madonna or Clay Aiken. Well, I'll just have to disagree with you then.

Clay!!! You coming with us!!! :rolleyes: yeah right :)
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    The beatles were on the roof of a private building, that is a little different then being on a public street. And the fact of the matter is this song and its message is getting much more notoriety because of his arrest, so I dont even see his arrest as a bad thing really.

I think it's a good thing for the song and cause, as well. But I don't like how the cops handled it at all.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options

How do you know that? You are arguing a hypothetical with no basis and trying to make it a race issue it seems. The fact of the matter is he broke a law, and if he thought he would just have to pay a fine, then he knew he was breaking a law. Dont get me wrong, it wouldnt have bothered me a bit if the cops just broke it up, but your implying things that you have absolutely no way of backing up because they are purely hypothetical.
  • Options
    Leaks.

You are assuming things based on your prejudice. No where has reported anything like this. I've read he complied with no problems.

Now all rappers have to hate the police....geez, stereotype much? is that all you know how to talk in?
    go read the lyrics to this song the articulate genius mos def wrote....

it is titled....MR. NIGGA.......

the articulate genius mos def basically calls every police officer a racist....

did someone say stereotype???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I think it's a good thing for the song and cause, as well. But I don't like how the cops handled it at all.

Thats fine and perfectly reasonable, but I dont think this is much of an issue at all.
  • Options

whats good for the goose, is rarely good for the gander, with some people at least. Try to point that out subtly, and you're baiting. Try to use extreme statments to point out the ridiculousness of their argument, and you get banned. Try to present them with facts, they simply dismiss them. Sad really.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Yeah, and you're just as guilty as the guy who said Mos Def was a thug

you should see these white kids i see at the mall....i'm about to move to a black neighborhood where it's safer!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options

The police actually do act racist alot and it is a problem that sould be addressed. Where does Mos Def say ALL police are racist or are you putting your own twist to it? And even if Mos Def was the biggest stereotypical person alive, he still should have treated this way by the police.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options

Say ho everybody say ho
    bop po quay yo
    I said shake your soul like way back in the day yo
    bop po quay yo everybody say ho
    Everybody say hooooo hooo
    Everybody say ho
    And check it out now

Who is cat eating out on the town
    And make the whole dining room turn they head around
    Mr Nigga Nigga Nigga
    He got the speakers in the trunk
    With the bass on pump(?)
    Who be riding up in the highrise elevator
    Other tenants who be praying they ain't the new neighbor
    Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
    They try to play him like a chump
    Cause he got what they want

He under thirty years old
    But already he's a pro
    Designer trousers slung low
    Because his pockets stay swoll'
    Could afford to get up and be anywhere he go
    VIP at the club, backstage at the show
    (Yes y'all) the best crib, the best clothes
    Hottest whips on the road
    Neck and wrists on froze (say word)
    Checks with O's o-o-o-o-ohs
    Straight all across the globe
    Watch got three time-zones
    Keep a digital phone up to his dome
    Two assistants
    Two bank accounts, two homes
    One problem
    Even with the O's on his check
    The po-po stop him and show no respect
    "Is there a problem officer?"
    Damn straight, it's called race
    That motivate the jake (woo-woo) to give chase
    Say they want you successful, but that ain't the case
    You livin large, your skin is dark
    They flash a light in your face

Now, who is cat dining out on the town
    Me'tradie wanna take a whole year to sit him down
    Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
    With the bass on pump(?)
    Now, who is the cat at Armani buying wears
    With the tourists who be asking him, do you work here?
    Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
    Nigga Nigga

Yo, the Abstract with the Mighty Mos Def
    White folks got it muffled across beneath they breathe
    "I didn't say it.."
    But they'll say it out loud again
    When they deal with their close associates and friends
    You know
    Sneak it in with they friends at the job
    Happy hour at the bar
    While this song is in they car
    And even if they've never said it, lips stay sealed
    Their actions reveal how their hearts really feel
    Like, late night I'm on a first class flight
    The only brother in sight
    The flight attendent catch fright
    I sit down in my seat, 2C
    She approach officially talking about, "Excuse me"
    Her lips curl up into a tight space
    She don't believe that I'm in the right place
    Showed her my boarding pass,
    And then she sort of gasped
    All embarrassed put an extra lime in my water glass
    An hour later here she comes by walking past
    "I hate to be a pest but my son would love your autograph"

They stay on Nigga patrol on american roads
    And when you travel abroad they got world Nigga laws
    Some folks get on a plane go as they please
    But I go over seas and I get over siezed
    London-Heathro, me and my people
    They think that illegal's a synonym for Negro
    Far away places, customs agents flagrant
    They think the dark face is smuggle waiting in cases
    Bags inspected, now we arrested
    Attention directed to contents of our intestines
    Urinanalyis followed by X-rays
    Interegated and detained to damn near the next day
    No evidence, no appology and no regard
    Even for the big american rap star
    For us especially, us most especially,
    A Mr Nigga VIP jail cell just for me
    "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake
    Just got some shoe-polish, painted my face"
    They say they want you successful
    But then they make it stressful
    You start keeping pace, they start shaking up the tempo

Now, who is cat riding out on the town
    State trooper want to stop in his ride, pat him down
    Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
    With the bass on pump(?)
    Now, who is the cat with the hundred dollar bill
    They gotta send it to the back to make sure the shit is real
    Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
    Nigga Nigga Nigga

You can laugh and criticize Michael Jackson if you wanna
    Woody Allen, molested and married his step-daughter
    Same press kicking dirt on Michael's name
    Show Woody and Soon-Ye at the playoff game, holding hands
    Sit back and just bug, think about that
    Would he get that type of dap if his name was Woody Black?
    OJ found innocent by a jury of his peers
    They been fucking with that Nigga for last five years
    Is it fair, is it equal, is it just, is it right?
    Do they do the same shit when the defendent face is white?
    If white boys doing it, well, it's success
    When I start doing, well, it's suspect
    Don't hate me, my folks is poor, I just got money
    America's five centuries deep in cotton money
    You see a lot of brothers caked up, yo straight up
    It's new, Y'all living off of slave traders paper
    But I'm a live though, yo I'm a live though
    Putting up the big swing for my kids yo
    Got my mom the fat water-front crib yo
    I'm a get her them pretty bay windows
    I'm a cop a nice home to provide in
    A safe environment for seeds to reside in
    A fresh whip for my whole family to ride in
    And if I'm still Mr Nigga, I won't find it suprising

yeah, he's a fucking poet.

If it walks like a thug, talks like a thug, smells like a thug, and walks like a thug..............its usually a thug.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options

No where does he say every cop is racist... he clearly explains the problem of racial profiling, which happens everyday...
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Laws are laws, and rules are rules, why should anyone be exempt>?

this is soooooo funny coming from you!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    The police actually do act racist alot and it is a problem that sould be addressed. Where does Mos Def say ALL police are racist or are you putting your own twist to it? And even if Mos Def was the biggest stereotypical person alive, he still should have treated this way by the police.

You dont have any evidence of racism. I certainly agree that racism is still a problem and many cops certainly have racist tendencies, but because a black person is arrested for breaking a law does not automatically equate to racism.
  • Options
    yeah, he's a fucking poet.

If it walks like a thug, talks like a thug, smells like a thug, and walks like a thug..............its usually a thug.

If you dont think racial profiling doesnt happen or exist you are in need of some serious help...
  • Options
    No where does he say every cop is racist... he clearly explains the problem of racial profiling, which happens everyday...

Much like he clearly states that whitey may not say it in the open, but when we are behind closed doors we call "them" the n word.

Its far more likely, that behind closed doors, he's most likely more racist than most "whitey's".

Just ask Chris Rock> The most racist people on earth, are old black men. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    well you tell me.....

did the beatles or U2 break any laws????

mos def was given a summons for operating a sound reproduction device without a permit....

yes...the beatles had their rooftop performance shut down by the police...not only did they not have a permit but for disturbing the peace...no arrests were made, they were told to stop and eventually they did...the u2 video i mentioned was based on this event...if you recall it starts w/ them in top of a building, the police telling them to stop and bono saying 'we're being shut down'

yes, we've established he was given a summons...where was he given this summons? the police station? how did he get there? was in handcuffs when he arrived? to me, that is being arrested
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    whats good for the goose, is rarely good for the gander, with some people at least. Try to point that out subtly, and you're baiting. Try to use extreme statments to point out the ridiculousness of their argument, and you get banned. Try to present them with facts, they simply dismiss them. Sad really.
    in this thread YOU have been referred to as....a rascist,a bigot,a troll,and ignorant.......

YOU have also been told that you have your head up your ass.....

i love it........hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Much like he clearly states that whitey may not say it in the open, but when we are behind closed doors we call "them" the n word.

Its far more likely, that behind closed doors, he's most likely more racist than most "whitey's".

Just ask Chris Rock> The most racist people on earth, are old black men. ;)

So you dont think its true that white people use the n word they are alone? Please tell me you are not this ignorant...
  • Options
    If you dont think racial profiling doesnt happen or exist you are in need of some serious help...

And if you think wearing big baggy clothes that were designed originally with no purpose in mind but to help conceal weapons/drugs/money, and that the way you dress and carry yourself will indeed, not just with the police, but with people in general affect the way you are treated, you are in serious need of some life experience.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    yes...the beatles had their rooftop performance shut down by the police...not only did they not have a permit but for disturbing the peace...no arrests were made, they were told to stop and eventually they did...the u2 video i mentioned was based on this event...if you recall it starts w/ them in top of a building, the police telling them to stop and bono saying 'we're being shut down'

yes, we've established he was given a summons...where was he given this summons? the police station? how did he get there? was in handcuffs when he arrived? to me, that is being arrested

A rooftop is a private building which is not a public street so you are comparing two different situations. Now they could have possibly gotten them for a noise ordinance or something, but you dont need a permit to perform on private property.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    The beatles were on the roof of a private building, that is a little different then being on a public street. And the fact of the matter is this song and its message is getting much more notoriety because of his arrest, so I dont even see his arrest as a bad thing really.

did they violate the law? yes, otherwise the police would have no reason to tell them to stop and they would have no reason to comply
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    So you dont think its true that white people use the n word they are alone? Please tell me you are not this ignorant...

yup, all white people just sit around saying the n word when referring to black people. just like all black people sit around talking about crackers and everyone else talks about hte spics.

Dontcha know?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    double post
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Options
    you are in serious need of some life experience.

coming from you this has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time... since when does you first claming Mos Def says all cops are racist to to me completly prooving you wrong have anything to do with baggy clothes... stick the to subject homie...

BTW the first part of your post makes no sense... do you think baggy clothes were designed for concealment or are you saying that's what I think?
  • Options

All of them? Im pretty sure that most of the ones who use it while alone, also would use it regardless of who was there.

And I know FOR SURE that they don't use more than the same people who hate being called that word. Know what Im sayin??

I lived with a black family when I was a teen.The mom would constantly be on her one son's ass about his friends, calling them n*****s and such, and one day I asked her why she used this word, with all that comes with it.

She told me, "because him and his friends ARE n*****s, they act like n*****s, they talk like n*****s, and in my mind they are n*****s."\

I responded with wonderment.

She explained, " I am not a n*****s. I am an african queen! (funny as it sounds, thats what she really said). But my son and his friends are n*****s."

She spoke as articulatly as my mom did, who was a teacher. Had you spoke on the phone to this woman, you'd have never known her race. When you wear clothing and carry yourself in the way many of these people CHOSE to do, one can only expect treatment in accordance with the image you project.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    did they violate the law? yes, otherwise the police would have no reason to tell them to stop and they would have no reason to comply

What law did they violate? And also keep in mind that was 30 years ago so laws could have changed by now. And the cops broke it up because of the crowd in the street.
  • Options
    All of them? Im pretty sure that most of the ones who use it while alone, also would use it regardless of who was there.

And I know FOR SURE that they don't use more than the same people who hate being called that word. Know what Im sayin??

I lived with a black family when I was a teen.The mom would constantly be on her one son's ass about his friends, calling them n*****s and such, and one day I asked her why she used this word, with all that comes with it.

She told me, "because him and his friends ARE n*****s, they act like n*****s, they talk like n*****s, and in my mind they are n*****s."\

I responded with wonderment.

She explained, " I am not a n*****s. I am an african queen! (funny as it sounds, thats what she really said). But my son and his friends are n*****s."

She spoke as articulatly as my mom did, who was a teacher. Had you spoke on the phone to this woman, you'd have never known her race. When you wear clothing and carry yourself in the way many of these people CHOSE to do, one can only expect treatment in accordance with the image you project.

You are basing you beliefs on your experience with this other ignorant person? That explains alot...

So by your rational its cool to hate on gay people for acting gay if you dont "approve" of their lifestyle, that is basically what you are saying here about hip-hop culture... they dress and act "that" way SO they deserve to be treated "this" way... grow up dude
  • Options
    in this thread YOU have been referred to as....a rascist,a bigot,a troll,and ignorant.......

YOU have also been told that you have your head up your ass.....

i love it........hehehehehe

Cannnnnnnnnnn you feeeeeeeeeelllllllll the love tonight?

Yet, ill probably be the only one NOT left standing tomoro. Gotta love it!
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad