Let's Post Some Quotes

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    "When you recognize that half of everything we're spending on law enforcement, the courts, and the prisons is drug related. What are we getting for that? Well, we're arresting one point eight million people a year in this country and we now have two point three million people behind bars in this country. We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world and isn't this America; liberty, personal freedom, and responsibility that goes along with that? I think that when it comes to drug policy, we've thrown that notion out the window."-Gary Johnson
  • "respect" - Ali G
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “Fuck waffles.”
    George Carlin
    Good god, I love this man.

Think I'm gonna make it an all-things-George evening here on this quiet Halloween.

Thanks!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    "The difference between holding on to a hurt or releasing it with forgiveness
    is like the difference between laying your head down at night on a pillow filled with thorns
    or a pillow filled with rose petals...."

---Loren Fischer
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”

The essence of living in the present moment, the Now, is focusing the mind here and take attention away from thinking about past or future. The present moment is all there ever is to experience life directly. Past and future are only concepts of our mind and therefore are good for learning from the past or conceptual planning when it is useful, but after this there is no need for them....

Buddha
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “Fuck waffles.”
    George Carlin

"Waffles are like pancakes with syrup traps”

― Mitch Hedberg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    rollings wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    George Carlin

"Waffles are like pancakes with syrup traps”

― Mitch Hedberg

"Waffles are to the Missouri Breaks as pancakes are to the Great Plains."
    -brianlux
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    After reading an article that cited a few religious figures blaming Sandy on gay marriage, sin, immorality, etc, I was reminded of these quotes.

Christopher Hitchens on Jerry Falwell:

“If you gave [Jerry] Falwell an enema he could be buried in a matchbox.”

“The empty life of this ugly little charlatan proves only one thing. That you can get away with extraordinary offenses to morality and truth in this country if you just get yourself called reverend. Who would, even at your network, have invited on such a little toad to tell us that the attacks of September the 11th were a result of our sinfulness and were God’s punishment if they hadn’t got some kind of clerical qualification? People like that should be out on the street, shouting and hollering with a cardboard sign and selling pencils from a cup. The whole consideration of this horrible little person is offensive to very, very many of us who have some regard for truth, and morality, if you think that ethics do not require that lies be told to children by evil old men. We [will not be told] that people like Fawell will be snatched up into Heaven (where I am glad to see he skipped the rapture and was found on the floor of his office) while the rest of us go to hell. How dare they talk to children like this. How dare they raise money from credulous people on their huxter-like, Elmer Gantry radio stations, and fly around in private jets, as he did, giggling and sniggering all the time at what he was getting away with. Do you get an idea now of what I mean to say?”
    --Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned....

Buddha
    "The clearest way into the universe
    is through a forest wilderness."...

-John Muir (1838-1914)

I do admit - Muir Woods is just incredible.
  • First they ignore you.
    Then they laugh at you.
    Then they fight you.
    Then you win.

Mahatma Gandhi
    Nice shirt.
  • "Why should we live with such hurry and waste of life? We are determined to be starved before we are hungry."
    - Henry David Thoreau
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • "Another chance has been engaged
    To throw Thoreau and rearrange"
  • "Another chance has been engaged
    To throw Thoreau and rearrange"
    8-)

People are like stained-glass windows.
    They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
    but when the darkness sets in,
    their true beauty is revealed only
    if there is light from within....

-Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
    Oscar Wilde

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
    The consciousness of loving and being loved bring a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring...
  • "I can assure you that no kingdom has ever had as many civil wars as the kingdom of Christ."-Charles de Montesquieu
  • ‎"Good morning, Mr. Greenspan... I understand that you did not take my friendly advice last fall. I thought maybe you should look for other employment. But, I see you kept your job..."-Ron Paul
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

― Robert A. Heinlein
    “You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation;

Trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could’ve, would’ve happened…or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on”!!!!
  • “When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” - African proverb

“There is no such thing as a “broken family.”

Family is family, and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart.

The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family. And if you hate those ties, those people will still be your family because whatever you hate will always be with you”...

anonymous
    With confidence, you have won before you have started.

Marcus Garvey
  • aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    We do not make "progress" by pretending no one is behaving inappropriate. Progress comes when we see the error of our ways and do everything in our power to change for the better.
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. –

Coco Chanel.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    “Miracles are not contrary to nature but only contrary to what we know about nature. ”

― Saint Augustine of Hippo
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought...
    If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him...
    If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him....

~.~ Buddha
    Do not blindly believe what others say. See for yourself what brings contentment, clarity and peace.
    That is the path for you to follow....

~.~ Buddha
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mikalina wrote:
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought...
    If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him...
    If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him....

~.~ Buddha
    I like this, and don't necessarily disagree...but we, as people, do both; human nature. Pain, happiness...yin and yang.

Life :)
    Happiness is a sunbeam which may pass through a thousand bosoms without losing a particle of its original ray;...
    When it strikes on a kindred heart, like the converged light on a mirror, it reflects itself with redoubled brightness. It is not perfected till it is shared....

~.~ Jane Porter