Let's Post Some Quotes

Comments

• Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    "Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." - George Washington
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    "What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" - Mohandas Gandhi
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    The more laws, the more offenders."
    - Thomas Fuller
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's the heart afraid of dying, that never learns to dance; It's the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance; It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give; And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.
    - - - Bette Midler "The Rose"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the walls we build to keep evil out, only keep us in.
    - shane nicholson
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • "pain is the price we pay for pleasure..."
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • You gotta keep'em separated
    In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant. ~Charles de Gaulle
    “Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.” ~ Oscar Wilde
    don't compete; coexist

Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859
  • Tiger got to hunt,
    Bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder, “Why, why, why?”

Tiger got to sleep,
    Bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand.

- Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

*A must read about the absurdity of man, feigning understanding about thhe complexity of everything when we are merely talking monkeys, and our arrogant lack of compassion for each other and for the world.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    "The dew of compassion is a tear.”
    Lord Byron
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    A child miseducated is a child lost.

John F. Kennedy
    Nice shirt.
  • "Married people with married people
    Alive people with Alive people"

Dimitris
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death." - mlk
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.”

Albert Einstein
  • Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.—William Pitt
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • "My mind is a piece of shit right now." -Jack Rebney
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
    Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
    ~Mark Twain
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    know1 wrote:
    In true democracy every man and women is taught to think for himself or herself. ~ Gandhi

This is one that I disagree with because I think it's a contradiction. It is basically saying that people need to rely on society to teach them to think for themselves.

I think it would be a far better thing for people to just think for themselves as opposed to waiting for someone or something to TEACH them to think for themselves.

And what if they are taught to think for themselves in a manner that doesn't align with their true nature or the way they would think for themself naturally? In other words, society could have bias when it is doing the teaching.

A true democracy does teach you HOW TO think for yourself. You may be mixing the teaching of thought by a democracy and what a democracy is presenting for you to think about. That make sense ? For example, lines on the road are there for order (not in all places), you get my drift though ? If branches from previous person's here in society didn't set ground rules we would have a chaos beyond the one we are experiencing now. Lets take buying and selling because it is a perfect opportunity for people to think for themselves. But, the powers that be spend billions of dollars on marketing to shape & direct our thought process to buy the trend of the week. A true democracy would not have this profiteering going on. We do think naturally because we are of this earth. We are a species. Instinct (you automatically feel something isn't right...that's natural) A democracy would let that flourish by telling you, think for yourself as you see the things around you & ask questions. But a catch of-course. If we were told, for example, to question authority, the powers at be would not be able to cheat us because as we thought for ourselves, we would think, 'TIME TO BRING THESE FUCKERS DOWN.'

Swaying opinion is big business my friend. The scary thing about it, for me, is how subtle it is.
    But with all that said, I don't think Gandghi meant teach people to think. I believe he was saying," teach them HOW TO think." Also, someone has to guide you as you grow in thought. Be it authors, mothers, musicians, or fathers, we need to be raised. It just is.

"The only knowledge is experience." - Alberta Einstein
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    'The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him, his own.'
    Benjamin Disraeli
  • Technology, or the historical momentum of things, is creating such a bewildering social milieu that the monkey mind cannot find a simple story, a simple creation myth or redemption myth to lay over the crazy contradictory patchwork of profane techno-consumerist post-McLuhanist electronic pre-apocalyptic existence. Into that dimension of anxiety created by this inability to parse reality rushes a bewildering variety of squirrelly notions, epistemological cartoons if you will. Conspiracy theory, in my humble opinion, is a kind of epistemological cartoon about reality.—Terence McKenna, Dreaming Awake at the End of Time
  • Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.—Terence McKenna
  • People say, "Don't you think you ought to be able to do it by yourself?" And I love this question because the answer is: You can't do it by yourself. That's the entire message of the last 10,000 years of human history. The self is insufficient. The ego will not suffice...you must humble yourself to the point where you admit that you can't do it unless you have help from someone whose idea of home is a cow flop.—Terence McKenna
  • A human being is part of a whole, called by us the "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.—Albert Einstein
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I wish they'd had electric guitars in cotton fields back in the good old days. A whole lot of things would've been straightened out.....JH

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel......JH

The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar....JH

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power the World will know PEACE.
    Jimi Hendrix

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• "I regard "ideology" and "morality" as the two most dangerous forces on this planet. About "ideology" I have expressed my suspicions elsewhere; here I will only mention John Adams's verdict that shortening "ideology" to "idiocy" would save some space and add a great deal to clarity. He had the French Revolution in mind, but "ideologists" haven't changed much since then, have they?

As for "morality" -- or "moralic acid" as Nietzsche called it -- I consider it the major cause of almost all the major atrocities not caused by "ideology." This wonderful invention, "morality," allows people -- normal, ordinary people -- to do things so cruel and violent that they could never bring themselves to do them for selfish reasons. What the sociopath and sadist do for fun, the "moralist" does on behalf of "duty" or "justice." "Morality," today, allows Moslems to stone women to death, as it once fuelled the Christian witch-hunts. "Morality" has excused every war, and glorified some of them. "Morality" constantly plots to subvert the Constitutional guarantee of free speech. "Morality" inspires gay-bashing and the bombing of women's clinics. Why, without "morality" we might all suddenly go stark staring sane.

My vision of Utopia would include a hell of a lot more kindness and mercy than we have now, and a hell of a lot less "morality.'"

- Robert Anton Wilson
    “Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see Life with a clearer view again.”
    'Don't borrow trouble... most likely you already have enough of your own'
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    You will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime.
    Barack Obama