Options

why do you believe in God or...

Comments

• Options
    spiral outspiral out Posts: 1,052

If you are an atheist but God exists, you will spend eternity in hell because you had the opportunity to believe. If you believe in God and he doesn't exist, all you did was give up a little bit of your time to worship God and forego sin. What atheism really comes down to is selfishness - it's all about what I want.

In my view that there is exactly what is wrong with religion the logic is skewed.

And i'm not really sure how being an atheist means thatwe are selfish?
    Keep on rockin in the free world!!!!

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Not to sound extreme but...what's the difference between the guy who kills for fun and the guy who goes his whole life being a mediocre human being?

Because someone is a decent guy doesnt mean they have to be a mediocre human being but i think this is a side issue when i consider that you dont feel there is a difference in someone like Hitler and someone like me.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    I also think organised religion causes more problems in the world than anything else.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    spiral out wrote:
    In my view that there is exactly what is wrong with religion the logic is skewed.

CW masks his true feelings by conveying shortcomings in others.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    spiral out wrote:

would you as an atheist want to go to heaven? if you say yes, then that means that you want to do whatever you want and reject God yet still have him accept you to heaven. That seems pretty selfish on your part. If you want no part of heaven then there's no selfishness.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    I think im a lapsed atheist.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    would you as an atheist want to go to heaven? if you say yes, then that means that you want to do whatever you want and reject God yet still have him accept you to heaven. That seems pretty selfish on your part. If you want no part of heaven then there's no selfishness.

You, on the other hand (in contrast to CW), tend to just go along with the crowd.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    stu gee wrote:
    Because someone is a decent guy doesnt mean they have to be a mediocre human being but i think this is a side issue when i consider that you dont feel there is a difference in someone like Hitler and someone like me.

I have no idea whether God has a scale of badness relating to sins . He might well view murder as worse than adultery . But if I can compare it to our view of crime ; murder is worse than rape , which is worse than armed robbery but ....... they all get you sent to prison .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    You, on the other hand (in contrast to CW), tend to just go along with the crowd.

nah, i'm just not as confrontational as CW can tend to be. just differences in personality, but thank you for noticing me
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:

Nope because all the dull people will be there, i'll be in hell with all the kool people having a party but thanks for the offer.

I mean come on seriously why as an atheist would i want to go to heaven when i don't believe that heaven exists.

The economy has polarized to the point where the wealthiest 10% now own 85% of the nation’s wealth. Never before have the bottom 90% been so highly indebted, so dependent on the wealthy.
  • Options
    nickcat0 wrote:
    I have no idea whether God has a scale of badness relating to sins . He might well view murder as worse than adultery . But if I can compare it to our view of crime ; murder is worse than rape , which is worse than armed robbery but ....... they all get you sent to prison .

Im not trying to be cheeky but have you never sinned?
  • Options
    spiral out wrote:
    Nope because all the dull people will be there, i'll be in hell with all the kool people having a party but thanks for the offer.

fair enough
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    nah, i'm just not as confrontational as CW can tend to be. just differences in personality, but thank you for noticing me

Sure.

I think CW is more individualistic. More creative. He used to write up a storm here in this forum, and even in the poetry forum. He's got talent. He hasn't used it here in quite awhile, sorry to say.

• Options
    stu gee wrote:

We all sin. Some more seriously than others. When you sin in your heart and no one knows, you still sin.

The reason you shouldn't say that Hitler was so horrible and you're so good is that you could end up in the same place as him when you die, even if you were a "decent person."
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    chopitdown wrote:

if god is so vain and petty and self-serving that he will only allow into heaven those people who spent X number of hours in Y church worshipping him and praising him and stroking his ego, then no, i want no part of heaven. he created flawed humans with limited faculties and then is going to damn them for eternity for making the wrong style of worship choice or being born in the wrong country? not the kinda guy i wanna hang with forever. where does it say that it is impossible to have a humble gratitude for life without the church and religion?
  • Options
    We all sin. Some more seriously than others. When you sin in your heart and no one knows, you still sin.

The reason you shouldn't say that Hitler was so horrible and you're so good is that you could end up in the same place as him when you die, even if you were a "decent person."

Does that not even make you think a little bit just a tiny bit that what your saying is not true.

How can you compare a normal person who has not killed a person to one who has killed many. How can you even liken them to be the same.

Honesty the world is not black and white there are many shades of grey. Which again what is wrong with religion it allows for none of that.

I can bet that most of the worst sinners out there are religious people.

• Options
    spiral out wrote:
    I can bet that most of the worst sinners out there are religious people.

Correction: I can bet that most of the worst sinners out there are people.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    spiral out wrote:

I mean come on seriously why as an atheist would i want to go to heaven when i don't believe that heaven exists.

well it just seems that some get really upset with the thought that God not letting people in to heaven and say that isn't fair. Why should you care, as an atheist? I have no idea.
  • Options

Im not saying im so good! But ill say what i want about people like Hitler.

My point was that i couldnt understand that if there are two places, good/bad, heaven/hell, i cant believe id be in the same place as people who i regard as evil.

To be honest, its people talking so seriously about religion that puts me off it. Organised religion is not for me.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Sure.

I think CW is more individualistic. More creative. He used to write up a storm here in this forum, and even in the poetry forum. He's got talent. He hasn't used it here in quite awhile, sorry to say.

i'm sorry for not interjecting in every thread and telling you about all of my talents, and spilling my guts...please accept my apology
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    well it just seems that some get really upset with the thought that God not letting people in to heaven and say that isn't fair. Why should you care, as an atheist? I have no idea.

becos as i said in my post above, i am somewhat appalled by the notion of a tiny god who is more vain than paris hilton and don't see how anyone can say such a god is full of "love." it's an outright contradiction. god loves you so much he can never forgive you for picking the wrong church and will damn you to hell for not spending enough time on your knees worshipping and begging for his forgiveness. how is that love?
  • Options
    becos as i said in my post above, i am somewhat offended by the notion of a tiny god who is more vain than paris hilton and don't see how anyone can say such a god is full of "love."

vanity of vanities, all is vanity says Qoheleth
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    vanity of vanities, all is vanity says Qoheleth

way to not even attempt to respond to my point. it's ok though, we all know you cannot becos you know in your heart of hearts im right and it makes no sense.
  • Options
    if god is so vain and petty and self-serving that he will only allow into heaven those people who spent X number of hours in Y church worshipping him and praising him and stroking his ego, then no, i want no part of heaven. he created flawed humans with limited faculties and then is going to damn them for eternity for making the wrong style of worship choice or being born in the wrong country? not the kinda guy i wanna hang with forever. where does it say that it is impossible to have a humble gratitude for life without the church and religion?

that's why i'm usually very careful in saying that God is the one who decides, not man. I don't think you have to spend a certain number of hours in church or worship Him in any specific way. God knows the hearts of people and that's why he judges. The way some religious people act, I have to agree with you...you'd think they are the ones making the decision
  • Options
    becos as i said in my post above, i am somewhat appalled by the notion of a tiny god who is more vain than paris hilton and don't see how anyone can say such a god is full of "love." it's an outright contradiction. god loves you so much he can never forgive you for picking the wrong church and will damn you to hell for not spending enough time on your knees worshipping and begging for his forgiveness. how is that love?

more vain than Paris, that's low...at least say more vain the Lohan...but not paris.

see my above post. God is the one who judges. ultimately God makes the decision based on his perfect knowledge.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    more vain than Paris, that's low...at least say more vain the Lohan...but not paris.

see my above post. God is the one who judges. ultimately God makes the decision based on his perfect knowledge.

Lonely is the room in which dreams are forbidden.

• Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    that's why i'm usually very careful in saying that God is the one who decides, not man. I don't think you have to spend a certain number of hours in church or worship Him in any specific way. God knows the hearts of people and that's why he judges. The way some religious people act, I have to agree with you...you'd think they are the ones making the decision

then i think this is the source of the anger you perceived. people are offended when it seems that... oh, let's pull a name out of a hat... corporatewhore is deciding who gets into heaven. they get angry when some religious person tells them they cannot go to heaven becos they do not worship in said person's church. THAT is the source of the anger. that religious people take judgment out of god's hands and coopt it for themselves. i doubt many of these people are strict atheists, but rather more agnostic and get much of their resistance to god from the arrogant and contradictory behavior of some of his followers. i think most of their disbelief is directed towards the church and its teachings, not god himself.
  • Options
    chopitdown wrote:
    God knows the hearts of people and that's why he judges.

As ive said, im not religious, but i dont dismiss the idea of god at all, anything is possible. And what you said there is why i dont understand how i could end up in the same place as mass murderers. People on here will have to take my word for it but if God really knows me, he knows im not evil!! lol

I love the bit in the simpsons about homer's pleading with god and questioning why, when he is basically a good guy, he has to spend part of his day off hearing about why he is going to hell. lol
  • Options
    you know in your heart of hearts im right and it makes no sense.

Psalms would disagree...

In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name!
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Lonely is the room in which dreams are forbidden.

Q: That's rather profound.
    A: Thank you.
    Q: It kind of conjures up an image for me of a prison cell.
    A: Sure, sure... I can see that.
    Q: Can I quote you?
    A: Any time.