Options

Homosexuals

Comments

• Options
    it's because you're in college. when you're in college, you assume everyone is liberal and open to everything. But it's not outright slander of gays that is the problem, it's like the people who oppose gay marriage. that is hate. they're saying it's great for me to get married but not you because there is something different about you. and trust me, there are PLENTY of people who think like this.

i think you have to be careful and conservative about how you approach gay marriage. what about the kids? they can't have any naturally. there are a lot of implications for that kid that gets adopted. if two people want to be be homo and get married and not try to raise kids, im all for it. although, i would not try to stop someone from adopting. they just might be facing a tough life, and the kid's life? anyhow, on to the being in college part. i agree with that mostly. but, i work in the service industry and i meet a lot of closeminded people. i get plenty of both sides. and you would be suprised how many close minded southerners get into clemson. maybe it just doesn't get brought up enough for me to hear it.
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    multiple families is another lifestyle. why discriminate against them? if we're going to accept different lifestyles; why discriminate against bigamists? where do we draw the line? the anti-gay marriage movement is drawing the line now. they see the writing on the wall.
    I think we can draw the line at things that make no sense from a practical standpoint. Our entire system is set up around each person having one immediate family, and that effects inheritance law, insurance coverage, social security benefits, etc. If I had the time and were so inclined, I could drone on and on about contract law and whatnot, but I'm not nearly a gifted enough writer to make contract law interesting reading, so I won't even try. Suffice to say we'd have to revamp large sectors of society to deal equitably with people having multiple immediate families. That is most certainly NOT the case with gay marriage ... the only thing that needs to change is for us to say "ok, go ahead, you now play by the same rules as the rest of us." I have still yet to hear a single purely practical reason why gays should not be able to marry one another, and practicalities are all we should be concerned with.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    there's always gay pride marches and gay this and gay that in the news. when's the last time you saw a hetro pride march? you can do what you want but i don't want to hear about it. i'm not anti gay at all. i think stupid people shouldn't breed and stupid people make up a large percentage of the population. gays are just doing their part!

Oh yeah...its expressing themselves...do you really believe the purpose of these parades is to gather new members or something...that is absurd.....

Plus it shoudl be noted that heter. couples who are intelligent can have gay kids...just so you know that....

No offense but you sound pretty anti-gay to me....
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    hippiemom wrote:
    I think we can draw the line at things that make no sense from a practical standpoint. Our entire system is set up around each person having one immediate family, and that effects inheritance law, insurance coverage, social security benefits, etc. If I had the time and were so inclined, I could drone on and on about contract law and whatnot, but I'm not nearly a gifted enough writer to make contract law interesting reading, so I won't even try. Suffice to say we'd have to revamp large sectors of society to deal equitably with people having multiple immediate families. That is most certainly NOT the case with gay marriage ... the only thing that needs to change is for us to say "ok, go ahead, you now play by the same rules as the rest of us." I have still yet to hear a single purely practical reason why gays should not be able to marry one another, and practicalities are all we should be concerned with.

This is why the real solution is to "divorce" marriage arrangements from legalities and governments as much as possible. Then it makes no difference if someone is married to their dog, sister, 3 guys or a whole town of people.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    there's always gay pride marches and gay this and gay that in the news. when's the last time you saw a hetro pride march? you can do what you want but i don't want to hear about it. i'm not anti gay at all. i think stupid people shouldn't breed and stupid people make up a large percentage of the population. gays are just doing their part!
    Oh for crying out loud ... you're serious with this? If it bothers you, change the channel. I can't remember the last time I saw anything about a gay pride parade anyway.

The "gay this and gay that" in the news is typically them trying to obtain the same rights that you and I have. There's no "hetero this and hetero that" because no one is discriminating against heterosexuals.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    hippiemom wrote:
    Oh for crying out loud ... you're serious with this? If it bothers you, change the channel. I can't remember the last time I saw anything about a gay pride parade anyway.

The "gay this and gay that" in the news is typically them trying to obtain the same rights that you and I have. There's no "hetero this and hetero that" because no one is discriminating against heterosexuals.

I will say this - I do have a bit of a problem with a sexually-themed public parade. I mean you wouldn't see a "I like it doggystyle" pride parade, would you?

I just do not think a parade in a public place is the venue to discuss sexual subjects.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    This is why the real solution is to "divorce" marriage arrangements from legalities and governments as much as possible. Then it makes no difference if someone is married to their dog, sister, 3 guys or a whole town of people.
    I agree with that. It would be a great start if civil and religious unions were entirely separate things.

Gotta disagree on the dog though ... dogs can't give consent or enter into contracts, so any sort of marriage to one would be invalid ;)
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    hippiemom wrote:
    A bit of a cop out regarding polygamy and bigamy and other multi-partner unions. If it is the right thing to do it shouldn't matter that a lot of work is required.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    A bit of a cop out regarding polygamy and bigamy and other multi-partner unions. If it is the right thing to do it shouldn't matter that a lot of work is required.
    You're right. If someone draws up a feasible plan, they have my blessing. I'm certainly not going to spend any more time thinking about it. I only have time to care deeply about so many things, and wanna-be polygamists didn't make my list :)
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    hippiemom wrote:
    You're right. If someone draws up a feasible plan, they have my blessing. I'm certainly not going to spend any more time thinking about it. I only have time to care deeply about so many things, and wanna-be polygamists didn't make my list :)
    I'm with you here, it doesn't make my top ten things to do this summer but hen again neither does legalizing gay marriage.
    I hope someone does this work so I can have an ironic laugh at the expense of any person who is pro gay marriage having a problem with bigamy or polygamy or any other type of multi-partner union.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    I'm with you here, it doesn't make my top ten things to do this summer but hen again neither does legalizing gay marriage.
    I hope someone does this work so I can have an ironic laugh at the expense of any person who is pro gay marriage having a problem with bigamy or polygamy or any other type of multi-partner union.
    Neither interests me personally ... the big difference I see is that with gay marriage we don't really have to DO anything except say "go ahead." There's no restructuring to be done, all they're asking is to be allowed to participate in the structure that already exists, and I can't think of a practical reason for not allowing it.

The debate provides me with countless hours of amusement though. It makes me laugh how worked up people get over this :D
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    how does a gay pride march constitute an attempt to convert heterosexuals?

are st. patrick's day parades attempts to convert people to become irish? come on.

is a nazi march an attempt to recruit new members? were civil rights marches an attempt to convert others to the marchers opinions; ie: gain support for their cause? what about KKK marches? clearly a recruiting ploy.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

since you want to play that hand; our entire social structure is marriage being between a man and woman. why should we change that now; then change multiple family values when people realize that polyigmist have the same rights as gays?
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    Why is there still so much hate for homosexuals? I don't understand the thinking of human beings at all. Why can't we accept that people are different than us but that's not a reason to hate them. I suspect that if people would just mind their own business and leave each other alone that this world would be a lot easier to live in.

I have no problem at all with homosexuality.

Hey, I'm a lesbian at heart:D
  • Options
    since you want to play that hand; our entire social structure is marriage being between a man and woman. why should we change that now; then change multiple family values when people realize that polyigmist have the same rights as gays?

So what should we do about single moms?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I'm not talking about social structure or "family values," whatever that means. I'm talking about practical matters like law and finance. I couldn't care less what people choose to do socially, I don't expect everyone to make the same social choices that I make, and I don't think that what you or I might choose to do should be the standard by which any person or system is judged. If the polygamists can think of a way to pull it off without wreaking havoc on our legal and financial systems, they can have at it as far as I'm concerned. Gay marriage would require none of those changes, and there is no purely practical reason why we shouldn't start allowing it today.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'm not talking about social structure or "family values," whatever that means. I'm talking about practical matters like law and finance. I couldn't care less what people choose to do socially, I don't expect everyone to make the same social choices that I make, and I don't think that what you or I might choose to do should be the standard by which any person or system is judged. If the polygamists can think of a way to pull it off without wreaking havoc on our legal and financial systems, they can have at it as far as I'm concerned. Gay marriage would require none of those changes, and there is no purely practical reason why we shouldn't start allowing it today.

so you want it your way and you decide who gets equal rights and who doesn't? ever hear of mormans? they pull it off quite nicely.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    hippiemom wrote:
    and there is no purely practical reason why we shouldn't start allowing it today.

Granting official marriage to members of the same sex would, I think, create an even greater apathetic feeling about marriage than what already exists in our society today. That would be a very bad thing and is, in my humble, opinion one practical reason why it isn't such a good idea, and, it is one that has absolutely nothing to do with hate.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    is a nazi march an attempt to recruit new members? were civil rights marches an attempt to convert others to the marchers opinions; ie: gain support for their cause? what about KKK marches? clearly a recruiting ploy.

It's only a "recruiting ploy" in that they're trying to gain acceptance in mainstream society, as opposed to being tied to a fence while people throw rocks at them for a few hours.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Granting official marriage to members of the same sex would, I think, create an even greater apathetic feeling about marriage than what already exists in our society today. That would be a very bad thing and is, in my humble, opinion one practical reason why it isn't such a good idea, and, it is one that has absolutely nothing to do with hate.

I think with the number of single parents and the divorce rate, having two loving parents (reguardless of sex) would actually help marriage/family life.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    It's only a "recruiting ploy" in that they're trying to gain acceptance in mainstream society, as opposed to being tied to a fence while people throw rocks at them for a few hours.

surely you jest.
    a nazi or KKK march is to promote their beliefs and stress that they are right. they're gain is to convince others they are right and hopefully gain new members.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Hate can go both ways. I don't have a problem with gay people but some of them seem to have a problem with me. I was called a 'breeder' once in a bar and a 'breeder boy' two nights ago in a park by some homosexual fellows.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    I think with the number of single parents and the divorce rate, having two loving parents (reguardless of sex) would actually help marriage/family life.

I didn't say it wouldn't. As you say, the divirce rate is off the charts. Its absolutely obscene as is the number of single parents (I am not disrespecting single parents, I am actually quite amazed by the ones who pull it off successfully). This, i feel is in large part, due to the declining esteem of marriage as a institution and comittment. People simply have no respect for it anymore. It is regarded as no big deal. By stretching the boundaries of marriage, I think we would only enhance and strengthen this "no big deal" attitude that is already destroying marriage.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    surely you jest.
    a nazi or KKK march is to promote their beliefs and stress that they are right. they're gain is to convince others they are right and hopefully gain new members.

Do you really think that gay pride marches are recruiting drives? They don't have fucking membership cards and monthly dues.

On the other hand, your references to the KKK and the Nazi party are interesting. The Nazis and the Klan are similar in that they were both groups who advocated the elimination of a particular group of people. The civil rights movement and the gay rights movement are similar in that they are trying to promote equal rights for themselves.

See the difference?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Hate can go both ways. I don't have a problem with gay people but some of them seem to have a problem with me. I was called a 'breeder' once in a bar and a 'breeder boy' two nights ago in a park by some homosexual fellows.

My wife and I recieved some pretty cross looks at an Indigo Girls concert one time. :D

true story
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    cornnifer wrote:
    My wife and I recieved some pretty cross looks at an Indigo Girls concert one time. :D

true story

LOL! Had to close the office door!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    so you want it your way and you decide who gets equal rights and who doesn't? ever hear of mormans? they pull it off quite nicely.
    What do you mean I want it my way? I just got done saying I don't care what anyone does if they can come up with a workable system. "My" way is a single union between one man and one woman, but it doesn't matter to me if everyone does things "my" way, or if no one but me does.

Yes, I'm aware of Mormons. They don't have legal multiple marriages in this country, so I'm not sure what the point is.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    What do you mean I want it my way? I just got done saying I don't care what anyone does if they can come up with a workable system. "My" way is a single union between one man and one woman, but it doesn't matter to me if everyone does things "my" way, or if no one but me does.

Yes, I'm aware of Mormons. They don't have legal multiple marriages in this country, so I'm not sure what the point is.

multiple marriages ARE legal in utah if you are and have been morman. protected under the freedom of religion that allows native americans to use peyote for religious purposes. you can't turn morman to have 2 wives though.
  • Options
    multiple marriages ARE legal in utah if you are and have been morman. protected under the freedom of religion that allows native americans to use peyote for religious purposes. you can't turn morman to have 2 wives though.
    Someone had better alert the Utah Attorney General, because his web site states otherwise.

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/polygamy.html
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Since when? The Mormon church got rid of polygamy specifically because of force from the federal gov't. They excommunicate members practicing plural marriage.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08