Options

Homosexuals

Comments

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    I believe it's possible to oppose gay marriage without it being hate. Heck, I oppose straight divorce - is that hate?

no it's not. that's not discriminating, that's not valuing one group of people over another. opposing gay marriage is.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    no it's not. that's not discriminating, that's not valuing one group of people over another. opposing gay marriage is.

No - not in all circumstances. People do not have identical reasons for opposing things. I have nothing against homosexuals whatsoever. To be honest, I do not think either side of the gay marriage debate has presented any logical, convincing arguments and therefore I oppose gay marriage AND I oppose prohibiting it. Until someone can convince me one way or the other, my position will remain.

I have a very strict view of marriage and the heterosexuals have done far more to damage marriage then the homosexuals could ever dream of doing.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    No - not in all circumstances. People do not have identical reasons for opposing things. I have nothing against homosexuals whatsoever. To be honest, I do not think either side of the gay marriage debate has presented any logical, convincing arguments and therefore I oppose gay marriage AND I oppose prohibiting it. Until someone can convince me one way or the other, my position will remain.

I have a very strict view of marriage and the heterosexuals have done far more to damage marriage then the homosexuals could ever dream of doing.

I don't understand what you're saying really.

so are you saying you also oppose heterosexual marriage? if so, then that's fine.
  • Options
    I don't understand what you're saying really.

so are you saying you also oppose heterosexual marriage? if so, then that's fine.

I actually oppose state-sponsored marriage for anyone. The most logical thing I see is for the government to get out of the marriage business completely and allow people to designate one person to have visitation & legal rights similar to those of a spouse.

Let marriage be something that religions can sponsor if they choose and not have any special legal privileges assigned by the government.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    I actually oppose state-sponsored marriage for anyone. The most logical thing I see is for the government to get out of the marriage business completely and allow people to designate one person to have visitation & legal rights similar to those of a spouse.

Let marriage be something that religions can sponsor if they choose and not have any special legal privileges assigned by the government.

I agree with you 100% then.

however, the chances of this happening are slim to none. people love marriage and all the little legal benefits they get from it. so as long as the state is involved in marriage, then they have to allow it for everyone.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    My, aren't you the romantic one? Some lucky gal's gonna have a bundle of fun with toyuin the future.

Damn, you're back. It's just a colloquialism silverstein, don't get too wrapped up in it. And don't worry about my love life, I've been married longer than you've probably been alive, son.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I agree with you 100% then.

however, the chances of this happening are slim to none. people love marriage and all the little legal benefits they get from it. so as long as the state is involved in marriage, then they have to allow it for everyone.

I agree the chances are slim. I also see it as a very slippery slope. Once you start opening up marriage to other things, you are going to be susceptible to all types of requests for different "marriages" and the system will be exploited.

The key is to begin to separate the legal benefits from the marriage. Once that happens, I think most sides could be satisfied with marriage being whatever anyone wants.

• Options
    Getting back to one of the original comments - to make the statement that homosexuality will be proven to be genetic is to be very close-minded and not have a grasp on reality (or to have some kind of personal agenda).

Let's be honest, the reasons people do things run the entire spectrum from genetics to whatever. Furthermore, people have a choice to act on their impulses or not.

You can't just make a blanket statement that every gay person was genetically programmed that way and that they have no choice but to act on it.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    I agree the chances are slim. I also see it as a very slippery slope. Once you start opening up marriage to other things, you are going to be susceptible to all types of requests for different "marriages" and the system will be exploited.

The key is to begin to separate the legal benefits from the marriage. Once that happens, I think most sides could be satisfied with marriage being whatever anyone wants.

well this is what my aunt says, she takes the position that "if you let gays get married, what's to stop people from marrying their dog." Personally I think that comparison is pretty hateful to compare how 2 people feel for each other to someone marrying a dog. But then you know what, if someone wants to actually marry their dog to exploit the benefits of the system, let them. the whole system is so stupid anyway, what harm could it do.
  • Options
    This subject always turns into a sad argument. Yes, no one should hate gay people regardless of whether they're gay because that's who they were born as, or because of their mentality. Whether it's their choice or not, being gay doesn't affect anyone else.

However, it seems like acceptence isn't good enough for a lot of people. The general reaction to what Ahnimus said clearly shows that. There's a difference between hating and not liking, and there's a difference between accepting and liking.
  • Options
    well this is what my aunt says, she takes the position that "if you let gays get married, what's to stop people from marrying their dog." Personally I think that comparison is pretty hateful to compare how 2 people feel for each other to someone marrying a dog. But then you know what, if someone wants to actually marry their dog to exploit the benefits of the system, let them. the whole system is so stupid anyway, what harm could it do.

i don't understand the whole slippery slope argument... marriage is between two consenting adults, so that rules out the pedofile, and the marrying your dog argument, and poligomy (sp?) is illegal, so unless the laws are changed, that rules out that...

i don't mind marriage being a legal thing, but it should be open to any couple (straight or gay). This will take care of the legal rights for visitation, inheritence, tax benefits, etc.... In addition to legal marriage, churches should have the right to marry whoever that they want in a religious ceromony.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Damn, you're back. It's just a colloquialism silverstein, don't get too wrapped up in it. And don't worry about my love life, I've been married longer than you've probably been alive, son.

Lucky her...pass on my condolences to the kids.

And whats withthe silverstein?? Is that an anti-semitic tone I detect in your language?

As for the topic, again, and something said above; How the f~*ck can you be "cool" with homosexuals and oppose gay marriage? Its like saying I oppose murder but im cool with guns.

WTF right has anybody to oppsoe an issue that is personal to another? Gay marriage, abortion, is that what America has devolved into, a nation of prim assed busy bodies with no respect for anything bu the freedom to interfere with anybody else?
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    And whats withthe silverstein?? Is that an anti-semitic tone I detect in your language?

Nope, just figured that if you were anti-semitic it might make you squirm a little.
  • Options
    wow

yr brilliant

Thanks. As long as I get affirmation from you I feel complete.
  • Options

That's why I didn't use any specific comparison in my comment.

• Options
    i don't understand the whole slippery slope argument... marriage is between two consenting adults, so that rules out the pedofile, and the marrying your dog argument, and poligomy (sp?) is illegal, so unless the laws are changed, that rules out that...

i don't mind marriage being a legal thing, but it should be open to any couple (straight or gay). This will take care of the legal rights for visitation, inheritence, tax benefits, etc.... In addition to legal marriage, churches should have the right to marry whoever that they want in a religious ceromony.

Ahh...but shouldn't polygamists be able to marry as they please as well. Why discriminate against them?

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    Ahh...but shouldn't polygamists be able to marry as they please as well. Why discriminate against them?

Almost true, if only polygamy would have everyone involved consent, then it should probably be legal, but you hear about woman being victims in these relashionship all the time, so it's not really a good thing. Swingers is the legal solutions, hehe...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

but it is against the law... if there is enough support to legalize polygamy, then we can cross the marriage bridge at that point.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    know1 wrote:
    You know, I'd be in favor of allowing polygamy if it was equal to any other marriage ... that is, parties joining together to form one family. The problem is that polygamy as it's been practiced is men forming multiple families. The wives are not married to one another, so it's just bigamy with everyone living together. I think it's a crazy way to live, but if they all wanted to join together in one union, I can't think of a reason not to allow it. Limiting people to one marriage at a time is sensible for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with religion.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    but it is against the law... if there is enough support to legalize polygamy, then we can cross the marriage bridge at that point.

(I'm playing devil's advocate here)

Your above statement can and has been used against gay marriage.

• Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130

This is absolutely riduculous. You might say I am somewhat opposed to gay marriage. I harbor absolutely no hatred or even low esteem toward homosexuals. None. Your comment is absurd.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    I'm feeling compelled to point out that earlier in this thread I read someone argue homosexuality as completely natural by citing an article from a website with an overtly homosexual agenda, and someone else rebutted by citing Wikipedia!! Classic AMT! :D

carry on.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    because gays seem to be on a mission to convert everyone. just like we lock the doors or let the dog out when we see jahovah witnesses on the block. keep to yourself and no one bothers you. how would you feel if someone was trying to jam the hetro lifestyle down your throat constantly? EXACTLY! hetros don't care what you do. but get up in our faces and see what you get. not just you; but any faction.
  • Options
    because gays seem to be on a mission to convert everyone. just like we lock the doors or let the dog out when we see jahovah witnesses on the block. keep to yourself and no one bothers you. how would you feel if someone was trying to jam the hetro lifestyle down your throat constantly? EXACTLY! hetros don't care what you do. but get up in our faces and see what you get. not just you; but any faction.

Are you serious...I have never had a gay man try to convert me....for that matter I have never seen what you are saying....
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Are you serious...I have never had a gay man try to convert me....for that matter I have never seen what you are saying....
    That makes two of us. I have no idea what's being implied there. I have a gay man next door, a lesbian couple across the street, and work with at least a couple dozen openly gay people, and no one has ever tried to convert me either. Should I be insulted?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    You know, I'd be in favor of allowing polygamy if it was equal to any other marriage ... that is, parties joining together to form one family. The problem is that polygamy as it's been practiced is men forming multiple families. The wives are not married to one another, so it's just bigamy with everyone living together. I think it's a crazy way to live, but if they all wanted to join together in one union, I can't think of a reason not to allow it. Limiting people to one marriage at a time is sensible for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with religion.

multiple families is another lifestyle. why discriminate against them? if we're going to accept different lifestyles; why discriminate against bigamists? where do we draw the line? the anti-gay marriage movement is drawing the line now. they see the writing on the wall.
  • Options

That's simply not true. First of all, gays who are fighting for the right to marriage aren't forcing their views on anyone. Are they trying to force heterosexuals into gay marriages? No.

The hetero lifestyle is constantly jammed down everyone's throats.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options

there's always gay pride marches and gay this and gay that in the news. when's the last time you saw a hetro pride march? you can do what you want but i don't want to hear about it. i'm not anti gay at all. i think stupid people shouldn't breed and stupid people make up a large percentage of the population. gays are just doing their part!
  • Options

This is so wrong on many levels.

I'd welcome a conversion attempt. It would be flattering. Secondly, how is a conversion attempt any different from a female that you do not find attractive hitting on you? Finally, if they do convert you - SO WHAT?!! If you're happy being converted then they've done you a favor.

• Options
    there's always gay pride marches and gay this and gay that in the news. when's the last time you saw a hetro pride march? you can do what you want but i don't want to hear about it. i'm not anti gay at all. i think stupid people shouldn't breed and stupid people make up a large percentage of the population. gays are just doing their part!

how does a gay pride march constitute an attempt to convert heterosexuals?

are st. patrick's day parades attempts to convert people to become irish? come on.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."