Options

Rumsfeld Gone!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    Byrnzie wrote:
    And the Dems have won the Montana senate seat!!

Great! :)
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    inmytree wrote:
    not invade....

Me either, but I don't think that was entirely his call to make.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    If Rumsfeld had done his job and listened to his advisors instead of thinking he had all the answers, we would have been out of Iraq a long time ago. Instead, he chose to be arrogant and ignorant of how bad things went awry so quickly and now it is so bad, that short of sending another hundred thousand troops there, it's only going to get worse.
  • Options
    If I could break dance I would, this is great news. Late... but great.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    I wonder what the story is on this Dr. Gates? Anybody know?
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    know1 wrote:
    So what would you have done differently?

1. After you listened, what would you have done - sent more troops? Didn't we win the battle portion of the war very, very easily?

2. Do you know there's no exit strategy, or is it just that it hasn't been explained to you?

3. Necessary equipment is highly debatable. Again, wasn't the battle over in just a matter of days? How would more troops or different equipment change that?
    No, the battle wasn't over in a few days. The damn war is still going on. "Mission Accomplished" was just a photo-op.

Yes, if you're going to start a war, always start one with more troops than you think you'll need - many more.

And, when you start a war, you have the choice of when to start it. You have plenty of time to get your troops ready and equipped.

He was a bad Secretary of Defense.
  • Options
    lgtlgt Posts: 720
    know1 wrote:
    Me either, but I don't think that was entirely his call to make.

Well, he was part of the administration who decided to go to war on illegitimate grounds. And now he's the sacrificial lamb because of the disastrous conduct of the war, in order to try and win back some public consensus.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    RainDog wrote:
    Actually, he should be called "Secretary of War" because what the fuck did he defend?
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

1. After you listened, what would you have done - sent more troops? Didn't we win the battle portion of the war very, very easily?

2. Do you know there's no exit strategy, or is it just that it hasn't been explained to you?

3. Necessary equipment is highly debatable. Again, wasn't the battle over in just a matter of days? How would more troops or different equipment change that?

Wow.

How long have we had troops over there? How many die each day? Wouldn't better equipment have helped prevent some deaths due to road side bombs, RPG's, etc?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    No, the battle wasn't over in a few days. The damn war is still going on. "Mission Accomplished" was just a photo-op.

Yes, if you're going to start a war, always start one with more troops than you think you'll need - many more.

And, when you start a war, you have the choice of when to start it. You have plenty of time to get your troops ready and equipped.

I hate war, but I just don't see that was has been taking place since the battles were over is a war. They call it a war, but I see it as an occupation.

I do agree that there was the choice of when to start it, but I disagree that we needed more troops or equipment.

• Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    this is interesting.. ok so one down.. when do cheney, condi, and george go?

here's a thought, that isn't my own, but one i saw posted on a blog early this morning..

someone said that they expected joe lieberman to be appointed to the cabinet somewhere (they guessed that maybe he would replace rummy). should this happen, the CT governor could then appoint a new senator to take his place.

if this happens, it's not good news.. a. lieberman is pro-bush, pro-iraq war, pro-iran war, and b. the ct gov. is a republican, meaning a senate seat would go back to the reds.

again, that was just an idea someone posted in a blog..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    I had an orgasm
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    Wow.

How long have we had troops over there? How many die each day? Wouldn't better equipment have helped prevent some deaths due to road side bombs, RPG's, etc?

I'm not sure if different equipment have helped to prolong some lives or not. Are you sure?

Did Rumsfeld make the decision to invade when we did? Is he responsible for supplying the troops?

• Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    bush "i thought we were to going to do fine yesterday." (in elections)

what a dumbass! lamo.

did he have his head stuck in the ground or what?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    know1 wrote:

Recently released reports have stated that strategist believed that at least 400,000 troops would have been needed for the post war occupation and even with those numbers the possibility of sectarian violenceand even civil war would be great. That study was concluded well before our invasion. Generals from the Army War College where mentioning at least 350,000 troops for the occupation. None of these people where listened to. Yes we may have easily defeated the Iraqi military with less than 200,000 troops, but we did not have the necessary troops for an occupation. As Secretary of Defense he should have listened to his strategist and war planners all of which continuoesly stated that we needed more troops on the group for the occupation.

As far as exit strategy they have presented none and, this is an assumption, by the way eventsare unfolding in Iraq there doesn't seem to be one or the one they had is failing miserably and they are unwilling or incapable of devising a new one.

There is no debating the equipment issue. There where troops who where not provided body armor or out dated body armor. There where Humvees being used on patrols that did not have the proper armor plating to protect our troops from RPGs or IADs. I can understand if there was some type of logistical problem with getting supplies over there, but for the secretary of Defense to simply shrug it off with his comment is unacceptable. In my brother-in-laws platoon there where 10 troops who had no body armor or out dated body armor, one had a Vietnam era flack jacket for body armor. That's one third of his platoon that was not provided with the necessary equipment and their stories where not the only ones.

Lastly this is not just about the battle, in case you haven't noticed our troops are still dying over there by the bunches and the battle has been over for years. The invasion phase may have gone off smoothly, but the occupation has been short of a complete failure.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Wow ... it just keeps getting better!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'm not sure if different equipment have helped to prolong some lives or not. Are you sure?

Did Rumsfeld make the decision to invade when we did? Is he responsible for supplying the troops?

C'mon man, use your brain.

Rummy, Wolfowitz, and Cheney were the figureheads for this war. They decided to go in when we weren't finished in Afghanistan and hadn't captured or killed Bin Laden yet, you know, the one responsible for 9/11, NOT Iraq.

He WAS the Secretary of Defense, he is responsible for all aspects of the armed forces.
  • Options
    NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    know1 wrote:

Look, I for one support the war and always have supported the war. But Rumsfeld is the worst Defense Secretary since MacNamera. He did not use the lessons learned from the Vietnam war, that is the Powell Doctrine. You use overwhelming firepower and force to completely destroy your enemy and his will to fight.

We did not do that when we invaded Iraq. Sure, it was easy to topple the government, but there were not enough troops to secure the capital or the borders - which created the ensuring past three years of chaos. This was a mistake - a BIG mistake. He should be held accountable for those mistakes.

This is the best political news I have heard perhaps all year long!
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Recently released reports have stated that strategist believed that at least 400,000 troops would have been needed for the post war occupation and even with those numbers the possibility of sectarian violenceand even civil war would be great. That study was concluded well before our invasion. Generals from the Army War College where mentioning at least 350,000 troops for the occupation. None of these people where listened to. Yes we may have easily defeated the Iraqi military with less than 200,000 troops, but we did not have the necessary troops for an occupation. As Secretary of Defense he should have listened to his strategist and war planners all of which continuoesly stated that we needed more troops on the group for the occupation.

As far as exit strategy they have presented none and, this is an assumption, by the way eventsare unfolding in Iraq there doesn't seem to be one or the one they had is failing miserably and they are unwilling or incapable of devising a new one.

There is no debating the equipment issue. There where troops who where not provided body armor or out dated body armor. There where Humvees being used on patrols that did not have the proper armor plating to protect our troops from RPGs or IADs. I can understand if there was some type of logistical problem with getting supplies over there, but for the secretary of Defense to simply shrug it off with his comment is unacceptable. In my brother-in-laws platoon there where 10 troops who had no body armor or out dated body armor, one had a Vietnam era flack jacket for body armor. That's one third of his platoon that was not provided with the necessary equipment and their stories where not the only ones.

Lastly this is not just about the battle, in case you haven't noticed our troops are still dying over there by the bunches and the battle has been over for years. The invasion phase may have gone off smoothly, but the occupation has been short of a complete failure.

....or what mammasan said. :)
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Maybe later today Bush will step down.
  • Options
    I wonder if he would have resigned had the republicans won congress?
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

He is the one to be held accountable. Thats his job. He is the CEO of the military basically, isnt he? Him and the P and VP. They all need to be held accountable for waging a shitty offense. Agree with the war or not isnt even the issue here. Its how it was handled. Now these people need to be held accounted for, rumsfeld is a start and a good sign. People who disagree with how it was handled, which seems to be 95% of the population now, are happy to see someone in that position, him especially, gone.
  • Options
    My car is broke down in another state and I am broke but none the less today is a wonderfull day!
    An alien at home behind the sun
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    Maybe later today Bush will step down.

If you will it dude, there is no dream. :)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    WASHINGTON - President Bush said Wednesday Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld is stepping down and former CIA Director Robert Gates will take over at the Pentagon and in prosecuting the war in Iraq

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_resigns
  • Options

Not likely. I am betting the reason he is stepping down is because the Dems won and he is trying to dodge the investigation probes that would be comming his way. He is running scared. He is a man with lots of things to hide and the Dems winning risked him being fully exposed. Run Rummy, run as fast as you can you prick.
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059

Doubt it. Otherwise the timingn would be quite conincidental.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Doubt it. Otherwise the timingn would be quite conincidental.

I didnt think anything good would come out of this election.....guess I was wrong. Today is a good day.
  • Options
    TacoJammer wrote:
    Not likely. I am betting the reason he is stepping down is because the Dems won and he is trying to dodge the investigation probes that would be comming his way. He is running scared. He is a man with lots of things to hide and the Dems winning risked him being fully exposed. Run Rummy, run as fast as you can you prick.

But...that...almost sounds...like...cutting and running...!?!?!?!

HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!!!

:: hell freezes over ::
  • Options
    it's about time!