Led Zeppelin vs Pear Jam

12346»

Comments

• not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Pearl Jam, silverchair, and Zeppelin are my favorite bands of all time.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    id rather hear pearl jam
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I easily go with PJ on this as much as I love Led Zep. Much more diverse and I never get tired of them. Actually, Led Zep doesn't even make my top three. Top five - probably. Music is so subjective though. It's fun to see everyone's comments. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."

• The Beatles founded Apple in 1968, The Stones founded Rolling Stones Records in 1970, and Zep finally founded Swan Song in 1974.

Very true, but somewhat misleading. Yes those labels existed, but if memory serves not much more than as vanity labels. Regardless of your opinion of them, Zeppelin had Bad Company added to their label, which is probably a bigger act then the Stones or Apple attempted to sign.

To those mentioning the Zeppelin live shows being poor. I think the phrase that best describes them is "Tight But Loose." They could be mediocre one night, but magical the next, all without changing the damned set list. Pearl Jam shows are consistantly solid, but rarely magical- most of the "Magic" comes from the excitement of a rare song being played, or something along those lines.

Zeppelin did rip off blues artists, but to say it was a large percentage of their early catalog is a bit misleading. You Shook Me, How Many More Times, Dazed and Confused, I cant quit you baby are all pretty obvious. The Lemon Song and some selected lyrics from Whole lotta love... but most beyond the second album are pretty darned original. Since Ive Been Loving You and Im Gonna Crawl are probably the 2 best white blues songs ever.

"Musical Masturbation" is not something i normally associate with Zep, if anything, very few bands have been as willing to make "joke" songs as Zep- Dyer Maker (nah, she wanted to), Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Hot Dog, The Crunge, Hots on For Nowhere, etc.... all show a lighter side that i wish Pearl Jam would show a little more often.

• "Musical Masturbation" is not something i normally associate with Zep, if anything, very few bands have been as willing to make "joke" songs as Zep- Dyer Maker (nah, she wanted to), Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Hot Dog, The Crunge, Hots on For Nowhere, etc.... all show a lighter side that i wish Pearl Jam would show a little more often.
    what about bugs, foxymop, rats
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    what about bugs, foxymop, rats
    He said joke songs not crap songs. Pearl Jam has deeper lyrics than Zeppelin but that's about the only thing they got on Zeppelin. Zeppelin is far more diverse musically than Pearl Jam and has a far greater catalog of music. Eddie and the guys in Pearl Jam would be the first to admit that they're not as good as Zeppelin.
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    led zeppelin. pearl jam is absolutely amazing, but they aren't complete legends yet.
  • uhw... Pearl Jam by far!
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Matty Boy wrote:
    He said joke songs not crap songs.
    Rats is a crap song? news to me...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    i really think zepp but not by far
    Pearl Jam.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • what about bugs, foxymop, rats

I said I wish pearl jam would show a bit more often.. i didnt say they DONT show a lighter side (Sweet Lew, etc).

Bugs and Foxymop are album filling oddness. Not exactly lgihthearted though.
  • Very true, but somewhat misleading. Yes those labels existed, but if memory serves not much more than as vanity labels. Regardless of your opinion of them, Zeppelin had Bad Company added to their label, which is probably a bigger act then the Stones or Apple attempted to sign.

I think the great Peter Grant had decisive sway in the way Swan Song was run.

• "Musical Masturbation" is not something i normally associate with Zep, if anything, very few bands have been as willing to make "joke" songs as Zep- Dyer Maker (nah, she wanted to), Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Hot Dog, The Crunge, Hots on For Nowhere, etc.... all show a lighter side that i wish Pearl Jam would show a little more often.

Yep, but a happy wank is still a wank. ;)
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    He said joke songs not crap songs. Pearl Jam has deeper lyrics than Zeppelin but that's about the only thing they got on Zeppelin. Zeppelin is far more diverse musically than Pearl Jam and has a far greater catalog of music. Eddie and the guys in Pearl Jam would be the first to admit that they're not as good as Zeppelin.
    well i do admit pearl jam is a modest bunch of guys and i like that about them i think it's why they're still together today..but i don't care what they say i'm a fan of both zep and pj and there has been no other band around that ever matched up.. all around musical quality to zep until now and IMO they are dead equal on top best of all time to me anyway..and i fucking love the song Rats and find it humorous. oh and what far greater zep catalog are you talking about are you counting all the bbc sessions the live stuff and the remastered multiple times box sets. if you are make it fair and count the pearl jam bootlegs if you can.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Very true, but somewhat misleading. Yes those labels existed, but if memory serves not much more than as vanity labels. Regardless of your opinion of them, Zeppelin had Bad Company added to their label, which is probably a bigger act then the Stones or Apple attempted to sign.

To those mentioning the Zeppelin live shows being poor. I think the phrase that best describes them is "Tight But Loose." They could be mediocre one night, but magical the next, all without changing the damned set list. Pearl Jam shows are consistantly solid, but rarely magical- most of the "Magic" comes from the excitement of a rare song being played, or something along those lines.

Zeppelin did rip off blues artists, but to say it was a large percentage of their early catalog is a bit misleading. You Shook Me, How Many More Times, Dazed and Confused, I cant quit you baby are all pretty obvious. The Lemon Song and some selected lyrics from Whole lotta love... but most beyond the second album are pretty darned original. Since Ive Been Loving You and Im Gonna Crawl are probably the 2 best white blues songs ever.

"Musical Masturbation" is not something i normally associate with Zep, if anything, very few bands have been as willing to make "joke" songs as Zep- Dyer Maker (nah, she wanted to), Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Hot Dog, The Crunge, Hots on For Nowhere, etc.... all show a lighter side that i wish Pearl Jam would show a little more often.

I basically agree with most of this. Plus, a lot of the songs named here as joke songs, happen to be really great songs.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    I basically agree with most of this. Plus, a lot of the songs named here as joke songs, happen to be really great songs.
    yeah they are all good songs not really so jokish if you think about it..except maybe hot dog
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • yeah they are all good songs not really so jokish if you think about it..except maybe hot dog

I said Lighthearted, not jokish..

and Dyer Maker was admittedly a joke, even the title.
    The Crunge was intentionally written as a funk song you cant dance to.

I think thats one thing Zeppelin doesnt get enough credit for, is that not all their songs are over the top cock rock, or faux deep, or medivel Dwarfs and the like.... They had a lot of FUN that you could hear in the songs, even songs like Darlene, South Bound Suarez, Royal Orleans, Candy Store Rock, etc. (yes, all different from the ones i mentioned earlier). Even songs like the Lemon Song show a certain sense of humor.

Plant seems a bit pretentious, even now, but i never got that impression from Jones, Bonham, or even Page.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pretentious is alright though isn't it? i'M A HUGE PJ and Zeppelin fan.. I have a soft spot fpr ed and the boys ofcourse and they will be legends one day but Zep are the biggest and best band of rock ever. Pearl Jam are my number 1 easily but Zeppelin are a better band and they knew it. PJ are possibly are more wholesome band I would think.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I wouldn't consider Mike or Stone 'boring' players.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    let´s see if in 25 or 30 years people will talk about pj as a people talk about lz in these days...lz it´s a legend band, pj will be...
  • tonadax wrote:
    let´s see if in 25 or 30 years people will talk about pj as a people talk about lz in these days...lz it´s a legend band, pj will be...
    i think so too.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me