Led Zeppelin vs Pear Jam

keepVHSalivekeepVHSalive Posts: 30
edited April 2007 in Other Music
i really think zepp but not by far
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow really hard one...I think right now they are equals..Deff the two best bands ever in the world.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Pearl Jam. At least they had their own songs. Except for Going To California, of course. ;):p
  • Pearl Jam. At least they had their own songs. Except for Going To California, of course. ;):p[/quote
    whose songs did zeppelin have??????????????????????? dumbest shit i ever heard o are you thinking of stairway to heaven written by the backstreet boys
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Ummm... I love Pearl Jam but Zeppelin by a landslide.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    led zepp but not by far, this lineup it´s hard to beat ´plant,page,jones and bonham´... my heart is with pj and my conscience is with led zepp...
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    My dad's fav band of all time is pretty much Led zeppelin. When he saw PJ live with me in 2003 in cleveland he said it was by far the greatest show hes seen. better than jimmi hendrix, led zep, R.E.M., and a lot better than U2. he also probably knew 1/2 to 1/3 of he songs pj played that night so take that for what its worth. Led zep does have more super classic albums than pearl jam, i just dont think they have the collective sound that pj has.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Pearl Jam cannot reach Led Zeppelin status until sadly they are no longer a band (hopefully a LONG time from now). Then there is no doubt that they will be with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, who currently occupy that place together in my mind.
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    jimmy page and LZ played some mean town rockin' blues

but only now and then and way too much drama

i prefer PJ, even considering each band at their best
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • jimmy dubbed alot of stuff in the studio so perfectly that it was impossible to do live. zep is my favorite band of all time but PJ is this generations Zep and has reached Zep status already IMO.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Led Zeppelin and it's not even close. Pearl Jam is a great band but bands like Zeppelin, The Stones, and The Who are in another class.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "Pearl Jam cannot reach Led Zeppelin status until sadly they are no longer a band (hopefully a LONG time from now). Then there is no doubt that they will be with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, who currently occupy that place together in my mind."

Do you think so? I think Pearl Jam are amazing and they'll definately be remembered but not in the same way as Led Zeppelin or The Beatles. As the previous poster said, they're in another class and have a sort of "legendary" status. But who knows.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Pear Jam? mm it's pretty yummy I must admit I prefer Strawberry though.

I'd take Pearl Jam any day over Zepp, now Jimi H on the other hand is a whole different ball game.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Okay, weird thread.

Led Zeppelin. No discussion.
  • [/quote=keepVHSalive] whose songs did zeppelin have??????????????????????? dumbest shit i ever heard o are you thinking of stairway to heaven written by the backstreet boys [/quote]

Might want to check into that actually. They ended paying a lot of money to various peoples because some songs borrowed just a bit much. Yes, even Stairway... there was a post on this a short while back.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Weird thread. Is there any point in making a competitoin out of something like this ??
    Surely a cockroach race would have more meaning.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    The way I put it is Zep are the greatest, PJ my favorite :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Love Zeppelin dearly butttt...

McCready is more consistant than Page live.

Pearl Jam have a FAR more diverse catalouge.

Vedder is a better singer in my opinion, but what's not opinion is that his voice is holding up wayyyyyyyyy better than Plant's did. Vedder is at or past the point that Plant's voice started to go to shit (as far as age is concerned) and sounds better than ever - AND still plays 3 hour shows.

So I'd give it to Pearl Jam with no disrespect at all to Zep.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • whose songs did zeppelin have??????????????????????? dumbest shit i ever heard o are you thinking of stairway to heaven written by the backstreet boys
    Zep ripped off a shitload of old blues songs. The first four records are loaded with them. That's what he was talking about.

"Make our day"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Zep ripped off a shitload of old blues songs. The first four records are loaded with them. That's what he was talking about.

I wouldn't exactly say ripped off. Some of the songs the lyrics are the same, and some of the songs, they borrowed part of the melody or riff, but each song Zeppelin made there own, and did it better. They started as a blues/folk band, and that's what blues and folk bands did, they borrowed other people songs. But to say they ripped off old songs isn't exactly fair. They took those songs and made them their own, and made them better than anyone ever could have. Also, they have plenty of their own entirely original songs on those albums.

And as far as this debate goes, I would take Zeppelin any day of the week over Pearl Jam.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    I wouldn't exactly say ripped off. Some of the songs the lyrics are the same, and some of the songs, they borrowed part of the melody or riff, but each song Zeppelin made there own, and did it better. They started as a blues/folk band, and that's what blues and folk bands did, they borrowed other people songs. But to say they ripped off old songs isn't exactly fair. They took those songs and made them their own, and made them better than anyone ever could have. Also, they have plenty of their own entirely original songs on those albums.
    Oh I know, I don't think any less of them for it and they certainly did do it better than the originals as far as I've heard.

The Rain Song and Going to California continue to be two of my favorite songs of all time.. both originals I believe.

"Make our day"
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    whose songs did zeppelin have??????????????????????? dumbest shit i ever heard o are you thinking of stairway to heaven written by the backstreet boys [/quote]

Might want to check into that actually. They ended paying a lot of money to various peoples because some songs borrowed just a bit much. Yes, even Stairway... there was a post on this a short while back.[/quote]
    here's the link to that thread:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=238989
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    and while I like Led Zeppelin and appreciate everything that they've done for rock, I pick Pearl Jam
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Oh I know, I don't think any less of them for it and they certainly did do it better than the originals as far as I've heard.

The Rain Song and Going to California continue to be two of my favorite songs of all time.. both originals I believe.

Cool beans.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    yosi wrote:
    Cool beans.

This is the hardest thing to decide but its hard to go against Zep - they are the definition of a super group.

You could ARGUE (its all subjective) that JP Jones was the best bass player, Page best guitarist, Bonham the best drummer, and Plant the best singer. Put it all together and - WOW.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    In terms of who I personally like more, well... that would have to be Pearl Jam, I guess.

But who the better band is? Well, that's a moot point. The only thing that matters is who individual people like more.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Zeppelin suck.....sorry.

I find them really boring AND Plants vocals make me insane. Don't even try to say that I am close minded or haven't listened to them enough - my housemates in 2nd year university were all Zeppelin fans.....i've heard it all and it dont do shit for me.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • pearl jam
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Todd76 wrote:
    Zeppelin suck.....sorry.

I find them really boring AND Plants vocals make me insane. Don't even try to say that I am close minded or haven't listened to them enough - my housemates in 2nd year university were all Zeppelin fans.....i've heard it all and it dont do shit for me.

just because it doesn't do shit for you doesn't mean it sucks. whether you like Led Zeppelin or not, you have to admit that their musicanship is far superior to that of Pearl Jam. anybody who says otherwise is insane.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    just because it doesn't do shit for you doesn't mean it sucks. whether you like Led Zeppelin or not, you have to admit that their musicanship is far superior to that of Pearl Jam. anybody who says otherwise is insane.

I'm definitely allowed to think they suck....while you may think they are great musicians, that does not make them a great band. There are lots of bands out there that are skilled musicians, but if the music is boring and the vocals are grating and annoying - in my opinion they suck....very overrated. Most of the bands I really like arent going to win any awards for their musicianship, but I am able to connect with some aspect of the music.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Todd76 wrote:
    Zeppelin suck.....sorry.

I also think that you can't compare Led Zep and PJ until after PJ are no longer around.

Right now most people are willing to remember Led Zep for only their best work while there are countless threads on the Porch dealing with how much Riot Act sucks.

The fact is that Plant's vocals, toward the end, are frighteningly bad live. This is also a matter of taste, but I don't think that Pearl Jam have put out a really bad studio album. Led Zeppelin have. Plant's singing in In Through the Out Door is just...excruciating. And the songwriting is best left uncommented upon.